Minutes Applause

BuddieinEK

There is to be a minutes applause in the 61st minute of the match v QoS for Saints fan "Dunky', who sadly died at the all too young age of 61.

I never knew Dunky but certainly recognise him from his picture and will gladly pay my respects.

I believe his family is planning to attend the match and I am sure the minutes applause will be incredibly moving for them.

I wholly support a minutes applause for supporters as a mark of respect.

Personally though, I think it should always be PRE-match and not DURING it.

Not only is there the risk of disrupting the game; an opposition goal during the minute could disrupt the tribute.

More importantly than either of those points though, PRE-match, players and club officials can join in too. Surely that has to be worth some consideration?

Never knew Dunky but like many others i recognise him as a fellow bud and a "well kent face"   I dont have a problem with the minutes applause during the game , as Linwwod bud says, pre-game it can be lost amongst other goings on.  

Regardless of when and how these events are observed, the important thing is , as the St.Mirren family, we pay our respects.

RIP buddie.

5 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

There is to be a minutes applause in the 61st minute of the match v QoS for Saints fan "Dunky', who sadly died at the all too young age of 61.

I never knew Dunky but certainly recognise him from his picture and will gladly pay my respects.

I believe his family is planning to attend the match and I am sure the minutes applause will be incredibly moving for them.

I wholly support a minutes applause for supporters as a mark of respect.

Personally though, I think it should always be PRE-match and not DURING it.

Not only is there the risk of disrupting the game; an opposition goal during the minute could disrupt the tribute.

More importantly than either of those points though, PRE-match, players and club officials can join in too. Surely that has to be worth some consideration?

Indeed , I also recognise Dunky fae the photo just as I recognise you fae your avatar. .

I think by the pre-match tribute , you mean just prior to kick off , which I think is a great way of saying farewell to a fellow fan and this does allow the players access to the tribute also. .

Indeed , I also recognise Dunky fae the photo just as I recognise you fae your avatar. .
I think by the pre-match tribute , you mean just prior to kick off , which I think is a great way of saying farewell to a fellow fan and this does allow the players access to the tribute also. .

Indeed... I should have made that clearer...

By pre-match I mean immediately before kick off once the players have taken the field.

Most people are in the ground by that time band it allows the players and officials to participate.

I’m personally not that fussed about the minutes applause if I’m being honest. I’d rather the 90 minutes were about the football. Don’t get me wrong I always participate but I’d prefer to see those no longer with us shown mark of respect in a different way. 

When I go, hopefully someone will remember this (probably no fecks given), please just start sing a St Mirren song in “my minute” instead :P 

Or probably Davy Gordon, yer a w***er... 

An injury time winner against the Old Firm would be great (not asking for much give the west of Scotland life expectancy).

I mentioned a wee garden of remembrance a few years back and it’s good to hear that’s in the plans for the future. 

Could be that those gone too soon have a wee moment of respect paid for them there before the match by those who wish to do so. Could be at an arranged time like 2:30 or just whenever we please. 

Back to Dunky, sas news to hear if this. Never knew him to talk to but we’ll know face around the Paisley pubs. 

RIP 

Edited by davidg

Absolutely no offence to Dunky or any other fan that has passed and had a minutes applause but I disagree with it happening during the game. 

In recent years we have introduced the end of season minutes applause and reading out of names of fans that have passed away, to me this is a fitting tribute and I’m hoping that it will develop into a tradition. 

I realise it is difficult to say no to this type of request, and I will join in but I do think that as a society we are beginning to get into a grief culture. 

Aside from the end of season the pre match minutes silence or applause should only be for national figures, disasters, wars and former players. 

16 minutes ago, DumboBud said:

Absolutely no offence to Dunky or any other fan that has passed and had a minutes applause but I disagree with it happening during the game. 

In recent years we have introduced the end of season minutes applause and reading out of names of fans that have passed away, to me this is a fitting tribute and I’m hoping that it will develop into a tradition. 

I realise it is difficult to say no to this type of request, and I will join in but I do think that as a society we are beginning to get into a grief culture. 

Aside from the end of season the pre match minutes silence or applause should only be for national figures, disasters, wars and former players. 

I wasn't thinking about the end of season tribute, and, aye, that's a good shout.

Dying is, well....part of life. It'll come to us all, and I don't know how realistic it is to have a minutes applause whenever one of our family of Saints fans dies.

In saying that, I'd much rather applaud for a minute out of respect to a die hard Saints supporter than many of the 'national figures' I can think of - German Liz and her crew spring to mind. High profile and respected footballers, yes, given its a football match we're attending, and other significant and exceptional events.

I don't have any strong feelings either way, and would always participate regardless.

Edited by Drew

On 1/20/2018 at 9:28 AM, davidg said:

I’m personally not that fussed about the minutes applause if I’m being honest. I’d rather the 90 minutes were about the football. Don’t get me wrong I always participate but I’d prefer to see those no longer with us shown mark of respect in a different way. 

When I go, hopefully someone will remember this (probably no fecks given), please just start sing a St Mirren song in “my minute” instead :P 

Or probably Davy Gordon, yer a w***er... 

An injury time winner against the Old Firm would be great (not asking for much give the west of Scotland life expectancy).

I mentioned a wee garden of remembrance a few years back and it’s good to hear that’s in the plans for the future. 

Could be that those gone too soon have a wee moment of respect paid for them there before the match by those who wish to do so. Could be at an arranged time like 2:30 or just whenever we please. 

Back to Dunky, sas news to hear if this. Never knew him to talk to but we’ll know face around the Paisley pubs. 

RIP 

Be careful what you wish for, they might give you a wee preview of it at the next home game !! :P

On 1/20/2018 at 10:32 AM, DumboBud said:

Not so sure it's about grief culture, more showing respect. Off the top of my head we've had applauses for Tam McGarry against Morton, the young lad Connor McDowall at the Thistle game, David Murphy who died young at the United game.. All have been fitting, well observed and didn't disrupt anything

• 2 weeks later...