Club Deportivo Borgonyà

On 02/02/2018 at 7:12 AM, shull said:

Delighted that I put the original post up last week - shows the passion and pride of fans everywhere in their team no matter what level they play at.  The added wee bit of acknowledgement from our Spanish friends of the part we played in their in their foundation and history is very welcome.  I would imagine that there will be very few similar stories out there of this type.  Good luck to CDB from buddies everywhere !

Guest TPAFKATS
Borgonyà village was known for many years in Osona as "Los Inglesos" because the nucleus was created as an industrial colony of Fabra i Coats. It should be pointed out, however, that the Coats industrialists were Scottish (its activity was from 1890 to 1999).
In Burgundy we find many houses and buildings of the Scottish type built at the time of the industrial colony. It is here that the "El Racó de Escòcia" restaurant bar has recently been opened, where we can see a remarkable presence of Scottish malt - with a wide menu that explains the characteristics of each region. In addition, there is also the possibility of buying malt bottles and occasional whiskey tastings or other events related to Scottish associations are organized. 
There's an interesting article on Fabra I Coats and the catalan connection with Scotland in January's iScot magazine. I'm not able to copy the text though.

I run our Staff football team 
this year our annual tour is to the Catalan region 
we fly to Barcelona then on the Saturday we travel to play CD Malgrat de Mar
couldnt  play Borgonya as we play in Saints stripes 
on twitter as @pnpstaffFooty

every second year we come to Scotland and play at Dalgety bay against a Kinghorn select who normally horse us!
if you play for a team and want a game in Widnes drop me a line!
6459B535-5D89-49D9-9079-6A0723CFDB86.thumb.jpeg.9852262088d7d726d81994954af4c6c1.jpeg
Why don't you or they have an away top?

• 1 month later...
23 hours ago, FTOF said:

Down at the ground with the club president and the club captain. We were interviewed by local tv. I just stood and said nothing while my mate spoke fluent Spanish. emoji1.png20180331_130214.jpg.927cd2879a21a671c3a349ea97ca5f0d.jpg

As a regular to that region I suspect your mate spoke Catalan or risked being chased out of town 

in my earlier days of attempting speak basic level Spanish I was instantly corrected- cue use of translate to Catalan via Google 

He didn't speak catalan. The locals were. Brilliant with.us.and were quite happy to converse with him in castillon even though they were passionate Catalans. A couple of them spoke good English fortunately for me. The locals were far more interested in fostering links with Paisley and St.Mirren than discussing politics.

A couple of photos of the old mill at Borgonya and Carrer Paisley (Paisley Street) now that I'm back in the freezing cold!

On Saturday the town mayor and half a dozen committee members of CD Borgonya  gave us a 90 minute tour of the old mill and the town. Absolutely fascinating history lesson provided by some incredibly hospitable and pleasant individuals . They are incredibly passionate regarding the town's link to Paisley . We were the first ever people from Paisley (or Scotland) to visit the town and football club, other than the couple of hundred of Paisley buddies that were brought over there to start up the mill and to train up the locals! After the town tour we went down to the football club where we presented a signed pennant (donated by the club through Tony Fitzpatrick), a bottle of Chivas whisky, plus a saints whisky glass, and a saints scarf. We received a CD Borgonya pennant to give to the club plus some other souvenirs. After that they took us for a typical Catalan three course meal at a restaurant called Santuari de Bellmunt - Restaurant, Bar i Hostatgeria which is perched 1200m on top of a mountain . They wouldn't take any money from us at the end of an absolutely fantastic day. The locals are desperate for more visitors if anyone from Paisley is out that way and their long term plan is to set up a visitor centre. The football club are so proud to have a link with Saints, and some of them are planning a trip next season over here specifically to take in a game. That should be interesting, given that most of them don't speak a word of English!

If anyone is going out that way and fancies a visit, PM me and I can provide some further details. You'll need to find your own interpreter though!

If you click on the second photo and enlarge it, you can see the sign that says Carrer Paisley. I had a better one, but I must have deleted it by accident on the Sunday whilst trousered as a result of an extended sampling of local beer/cava/brandy.:oops

20180331_113222.jpg

20180331_122015.jpg

20180331_123003.jpg

Edited by FTOF

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

El supporters de Saint Mirren, Escocia, la ‘B&W Army’ visite futbol de Borgonya.  ‘Buddies’ fan ‘FTOF’ no hablo Espanol - el hombre ‘FTOF’ - Fcuk The Old Firm. Mucjo haaaaa! El ‘GIRFUY el Sevco & Patatas Munchers..... Vamos Saint Mirren, el Campiones de Championship!

.... I reckon that’s what it says.

9 hours ago, pozbaird said:

El supporters de Saint Mirren, Escocia, la ‘B&W Army’ visite futbol de Borgonya.  ‘Buddies’ fan ‘FTOF’ no hablo Espanol - el hombre ‘FTOF’ - Fcuk The Old Firm. Mucjo haaaaa! El ‘GIRFUY el Sevco & Patatas Munchers..... Vamos Saint Mirren, el Campiones de Championship!

When our nearby neighbours were mentioned, on the odd occasion (Erik had been to see Barcelona in Glasgow),we made sure that we kept the conversation focussed on Paisley and Saints.:) 

11 hours ago, FTOF said:

According to Google translate

Saint Mirren is the current leader of the second Scottish football division. An illustrious man like Sir Àlex Ferguson was the coach between 1974 and 1978. But Saint Mirren is also the embryo of Borgonyà, who currently plays for the Third Catalan. Of Paisley , the city of Saint Mirren, came into the company and the workers late 19th century settled in this colony Osona River Ter . On Saturday, a Scottish delegation went to Burgundy.

125 years ago from the introduction of a Scottish colony in Burgundy, this event has had echoes in British and Scottish media such as The Times or Black and White Magazine , or the magazine of Saint Mirren. Paisley's club is the leader of the Second Scottish Division and about to reclaim its position in the Premier of that country. The discovery of a nucleus in Catalonia with an architecture like that of Scotland in the late 19th century  has sparked interest in this club. Two representatives were received Saturday in Burgundy by the city council and representatives of the club and other sports entities.

Some of the 300 workers from Fabra and Coats,  from Scotland, built a field and created a football team in this colony. And a date for the story: on April 25, 1895 , the first match in Catalonia was disputed between two teams of different localities: Coats de Barcelona workers - the current FC Barcelona - against those of Borgonyà . In 2020, it will be 125 years of the event, a date to strengthen ties between Catalans and Scots.

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/04/2018 at 9:50 AM, bud77 said:

According to Google translate

Saint Mirren is the current leader of the second Scottish football division. An illustrious man like Sir Àlex Ferguson was the coach between 1974 and 1978. But Saint Mirren is also the embryo of Borgonyà, who currently plays for the Third Catalan. Of Paisley , the city of Saint Mirren, came into the company and the workers late 19th century settled in this colony Osona River Ter . On Saturday, a Scottish delegation went to Burgundy.

125 years ago from the introduction of a Scottish colony in Burgundy, this event has had echoes in British and Scottish media such as The Times or Black and White Magazine , or the magazine of Saint Mirren. Paisley's club is the leader of the Second Scottish Division and about to reclaim its position in the Premier of that country. The discovery of a nucleus in Catalonia with an architecture like that of Scotland in the late 19th century  has sparked interest in this club. Two representatives were received Saturday in Burgundy by the city council and representatives of the club and other sports entities.

Some of the 300 workers from Fabra and Coats,  from Scotland, built a field and created a football team in this colony. And a date for the story: on April 25, 1895 , the first match in Catalonia was disputed between two teams of different localities: Coats de Barcelona workers - the current FC Barcelona - against those of Borgonyà . In 2020, it will be 125 years of the event, a date to strengthen ties between Catalans and Scots.

Is this article suggesting that the current Barcelona where formed by Coats workers as well, if so I've never heard about this before, 

Maybe there's a connection with St Mirren being invited to play the opening game at there old stadium way back in the 1920s?

10 hours ago, scrappy coco said:

Is this article suggesting that the current Barcelona where formed by Coats workers as well, if so I've never heard about this before, 

Maybe there's a connection with St Mirren being invited to play the opening game at there old stadium way back in the 1920s?

I believe it is saying that the Coats team played FC Barcelona.

Borgonyá have their local derby tomorrow too.

Torello v Borgonyá

https://www.resultados-futbol.com/tercera_catalana/grupo5

Torello is about a mile and a half down the road from Borgonyá.

COYB! :clapping

Random fact I just remembered about CD Borgonyá is that they have the only grass pitch in their league.

Edited by FTOF

On 04/04/2018 at 11:43 PM, pozbaird said:

Si . .

. .your pidgin Spanish is very good , hombre. .

4 hours ago, FTOF said:

Borgonyá have their local derby tomorrow too.

Torello v Borgonyá

https://www.resultados-futbol.com/tercera_catalana/grupo5

Torello is about a mile and a half down the road from Borgonyá.

COYB! :clapping

Random fact I just remembered about CD Borgonyá is that they have the only grass pitch in their league.

Jabon esquivando Torello bastardos :double

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 7:08 AM, Slartibartfast said:

"the first match in Catalonia was disputed between two teams of different localities: Coats de Barcelona workers - the current FC Barcelona - against those of Borgonyà . "

It says what scrappy coco is suggesting but Wiki has a different history for Barca.

"On 22 October 1899, Hans Gamper placed an advertisement in Los Deportes declaring his wish to form a football club; a positive response resulted in a meeting at the Gimnasio Solé on 29 November. Eleven players attended – Walter Wild (the first director of the club), Lluís d'Ossó, Bartomeu Terradas, Otto Kunzle, Otto Maier, Enric Ducal, Pere Cabot, Carles Pujol, Josep Llobet, John Parsons, and William Parsons – and Foot-Ball Club Barcelona was born."

It doesn't mention them being Coats workers, but that doesn't mean that they weren't.

I think it's just badly translated. Borgonya is the club formed by the Coats' workers.