Livingston v St Mirren 17th Feb

faraway saint

Far too many players lost focus today. Whether it was the nonsense mid week or reading "champions elect" features by crap journos who know precious little of the sport they write about and how hard it is to keep league winning form.
If the players want this it's there for them but they've got to go out and earn it Livi and Utd aren't going to roll over and give them it.

Finish the job, today wasn't good enough. 

Edited by WirralSaint

Just now, WirralSaint said:

Far too many players lost focus today. Whether it was the nonsense mid week or reading "champions elect" features by crap journos who know precious little of the sport they write about and two hard it is to keep league winning form.
If the players want this it's there for them but they've got to go out and earn it Livi and Utd aren't going to roll over and give them it.

Finish the job, today wasn't good enough. 

Spot on. Now we have got that distraction out the way, the players must know what's expected. We're much better than this, and we'll prove it starting with Brechin next week! COYS

The Premiership has many better teams than Livi..... the scale of the task, rebuilding close season is massive - no wonder Jack was considering options..

We are the best team in this league but we cannot play like that in the Premiership or we will experience the opposite to the winning mentality we have had this season - they will go for the jugular..

Brechin only beaten today by a late goal - 3 minutes into injury time..

Fresh legs for next week - time to drop the worst performer each game and give the squad their chance to shine

After last season's 'Great Escape' - what now awaits us this season?

Whilst we have surpassed all expectations to sit top of the Championship at this point in time, this has been achieved through effort and organisation and the players being particularly focussed in most games.

The reality is that we are lacking genuine quality in most areas of the team and Jack Ross obviously recognises this fact going by his recent interview.

We will need to improve significantly to survive in the SPL next season.

Just to elaborate on my previous post, I have attached the following quote from Jack Ross' recent interview in the Daily Record:-

“I came here with a drive and a vision to take the club to where I believe it should be and I think we’ve made progress. But it’s still a country mile off where I want us to get to. There’s a lot of work still to be done, even this season, and it feels right to be here doing that work.

“I’ve been consumed by this from day one of pre-season when the squad were put under no
illusions about what their target is – to win the Championship. We have worked towards that every single day and I have to lead that. It has been a big driver for me over the last seven or eight months so to just stop and come away from that all of a sudden would be difficult.

“I don’t wish to sound too romantic about it but I
 desperately want to achieve and share success with these players. Football is about that love and enjoyment for the game and the rush you get from achieving success."

Hopefully we will win the Championship this season but let's not get carried away with just how good we are.

However, I believe that the necessary improvement will be achieved with JR at the helm.

Away for an overnight stay in Pitlochry as it was a Christmas gift. Sounds like it was a good game to miss. 

Dad took the grand kids and left at half time due to some arseholes foaming at the mouth and slevering all sorts of obscenities over the top of them. Quiet word didn’t work and was only heading on one direction. Have experienced this a few times also, we really some inconsiderate wankers (small minority) in our support.

The attitude that you’re at the football what you expect is a pile of pish, you wouldn’t behave like that in Braehead with the wife. Pretty reasonable to expect grown men to tone it down if there’s a young kid sitting in the seat in front.  

Anyway, out for a beer and look forward to getting back on track next week. 

Just back in the house we were outplayed and outfought by Livi no question about it.First and fourth goals were a comedy of errors schoolboy stuff to say the least.I don't believe we were properly prepared for this match in terms of allowing players holidays at this time of year.That would have been fine in they had gone to a training camp or similar.We were well of the pace today and the substitutions were awful.Why play with a five man defence. When we needed goals.Reilly and Smith are our main threat and they should have stayed on.Reverting to McKenzie at centre forward late on just typified what an utter shambles we were today.Much work to be done now and we need to get fitter organised and more focused and above all look at the opposition and set your team out accordingly.This was a wake up call of the highest order today.

4 minutes ago, davidg said:

Away for an overnight stay in Pitlochry as it was a Christmas gift. Sounds like it was a good game to miss. 

Dad took the grand kids and left at half time due to some arseholes foaming at the mouth and slevering all sorts of obscenities over the top of them. Quiet word didn’t work and was only heading on one direction. Have experienced this a few times also, we really some inconsiderate wankers (small minority) in our support.

The attitude that you’re at the football what you expect is a pile of pish, you wouldn’t behave like that in Braehead with the wife. Pretty reasonable to expect grown men to tone it down if there’s a young kid sitting in the seat in front.  

Anyway, out for a beer and look forward to getting back on track next week. 

Same as the first game I took the granddaughter to last season at Dundee United.

Unfortunately that'll be her last game. 

1 hour ago, TopCat said:

FT 4-1

Not too surprised we’ve lost that after all that carry on during the week. Can’t have helped the preparations. Never expected a paddlin’ like that though.

Livi are clearly a decent side and could end up challenging us if they keep up their run of form.

Brechin at home next week, need to get 3 points there then keep the heed and get ourselves over the line.

Spot on. Never at it today. Mid week shenanigans from the manager took its toll.

We didn't play well, and Livingston were very good I thought. We struggled with the pitch and the sun in our eyes first half, and we were bullied all over the place. We really couldn't deal with the physicality at all. Shit happens, we've been gubbed a few times this season and bounced back. Need to get back on it next week, and I think we will.

Huge support through, seemed much more than 1000.
Looks like the 'break' didn't do us much good. No question that the Jack Ross shenanigans affected the team this week. Livvy bossed us all over the park. The ref did let them off with more than other refs might, but we didn't seem up for the fight. Pretty football wasn't the answer today, we had to put it about a bit like they did. We lost the battles all over the pitch. Watching our back 4 getting pulled around and bullied by a gutless mercenary like Hardie was hard to take. They were in a blind panic whenever he got the ball at his feet. Disappointing that we didn't compete in what was a 6 pointer in terms of league positions.
Hopefully just a bad day at the office and gives us the kick up the backside we need.
Today just reminds us all that we are St Mirren fans. We have been on a great run to be fair. Anything other than a win next week is unthinkable. Hopefully we come out all guns blazing and boost the confidence back up with a big score line.

On 2/3/2018 at 10:13 PM, St.Ricky said:

Certainly looks interesting!  

Certainly intend to be there

Certain to be highly competitive. 

Not quite as certain of the outcome.

It was interesting!

I was there along with around 2,000 other Saint Mirren Fans.

Certainly was highly competitive,

After watching Livingston v Dunfermline there last week I had hoped for a draw.

Certainly knew it would be tough but didn't see 4-1 coming.

Moving on - Livingston play Dundee United next friday.

Something has to give then.

We were shocking today, maybe Liam Smith gets pass marks but no one else. Not much point in questioning the Reilly and Smith subs, neither kicked a ball all day. Too many errors and deserved win for Livvy,

Spoke to a steward who said they were told to expect 1200 Saints fans, thats why they only had three turn styles open at first. He estimated there were close to 2K Buddies there and said Paisley must be empty.

Bad day at the office.