Livingston v St Mirren 17th Feb

faraway saint

So, we lost, no, we got thumped today, no real argument there.

The reason...............well, all subjective so no real right or wrong answer.

As usual there's the over reaction which is no real surprise.

Some supporters have very short memories and unreal expectations.

Looking at the bigger picture shows we're top of the league, we've only lost 5 games from 25 and have an 11 point lead over our nearest rivals.

It seems that people forget Livingston have plenty of hard games, and I know where all the other teams would be..................points on the board, not games in hand.

As for the rest, Dundee United were being written off by many recently, now, all of a sudden, some are saying they are real threat?

Nothing's impossible but can any really see us being anything less than 2nd this season, and that would take quite a collapse from us and an amazing run from Livingston & Dundee United, highly unlikely.

It seems some see us as world beaters then shite withing the space of a few weeks. :lol:

Not going to overreact but that was tommy Craig era bad! Absolutely toothless and clueless I hate sounding like a doom and gloom merchant but there is no way that team can survive the premiership. Ryan f**kin hardie strolling about like a world beater and nobody even gave him a mild kick really got to me! We Defo  need to  toughen up

Tommy Craig era? Away and take a look at yourself.

4 hours ago, stlucifer said:

I've said for a while now that Livi are our main contenders but we shouldn't be beaten 4-1 by any team in the league with 11 on the park.

This will certainly show if the players are up for it enough to bounce back.

We play some nice football ( at times ) Thought we have looked average in a lot of games second half of last season we played better. It's not the end of the world no way we will throw this away. My Livie match preview I wrote this was a much improved side who dismantled Falkirk and now  St Mirren with ease Livie have come good at the right time. Have wrote  like a few  others we lack a big f**k off a bulldog In midfield.  Still confident we will win the league.  Finally keep reading 4 - 1 was a bad day at the office. Come on guys we did not get beat we were well and truly humped BIG time.  Emotional turmoil from mid week with all speculation? Could be but not good enough 4-1 dress it up all you want bottom line is very , very poor. 

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

Started off with a goal, and everyone myself included thought it was going to be a stroll in the park. A cluster f'k in defence and suddenly we were all over the place and couldn't recover.

We do seem to only have the one plan, but it's that plan that has got us to where we are.

I'll start bricking it when we are only 5/6 ahead, until then, I'm just going to enjoy the ride.

We play some nice football ( at times ) Thought we have looked average in a lot of games second half of last season we played better. It's not the end of the world no way we will throw this away. My Livie match preview I wrote this was a much improved side who dismantled Falkirk and now  St Mirren with ease Livie have come good at the right time. Have wrote  like a few  others we lack a big f**k off a bulldog In midfield.  Still confident we will win the league.  Finally keep reading 4 - 1 was a bad day at the office. Come on guys we did not get beat we were well and truly humped BIG time.  Emotional turmoil from mid week with all speculation? Could be but not good enough 4-1 dress it up all you want bottom line is very , very poor. 

Good post IOBS
, I have kept my feelings mostly to myself but the last 10 games or so barring the odd exception I have felt we were fortunate to win. We are in a good position to win this league, for me if this means being dirty, nasty, and to fight our way there then so be it. The prize is there, let’s make sure we take it first time and avoid at all costs this play off shite (which we know is heavily weighted against championship teams).

First league defeat since 2nd December.  First away league defeat since 4th November (that's over 3 months ago).

At least 5 or 6 of the starting 11 had their worst game of the season, all in the one game. In fact you could argue it was all in the one half.

That won't happen again.

Still 11 points clear with 11 (or 12) games left.

24rzks.jpg

Edited by Eric Arthur Blair

Think we all bought into this "Jack staying its now in the bag " and we only had to turn up and get the points, Livi being on a decent run so its not a big shock . scoreline maybe but look what happened to UTD at  Falkirk and i don't think they will take all the points from their games in hand or Livi will keep winning.

Difficult day, made worse by the fact that three of the Livi goals went in right in front of most of the Buddies fans, so we could see the inability of our defence to clear its lines very clearly. For once, Chick Young got it right...we were outmuscled. They were bigger and stronger than we were, hence why I and others have been asking for a strong tackler in midfield to break up attacks. Also, I thought Jack Baird and Harry Davis had a shaky day, unusual for them.

Last time we were at Livingston we had a man sent off and still won well, so David Hopkin has clearly brought in the right players in January, to improve his team just in time for the run-in. Unfortunately we don't seem to have done the same. We are playing with largely the same team as before. I feel sorry for Mullen who puts in great shifts but hasn't really clicked, Flynn seems to be settling in reasonably well, still too early to judge Hill and Hippolyte. 

Apart from all that the events of the week must have had an effect on the players. Remember that a fair number of the team is young players brought to the club by JR. They must have been worried by the hoo-hah. When it happened with Dundee in the summer, they weren't playing games. This time they were unsure of what was happening less than 48 hours before playing their nearest rivals in the league. Also, I noticed that Jack was not asked any questions about the Barnsley business in his post-match interview. Clearly the issue was likely to have a bearing on the game, but it wasn't mentioned. Looked as if it had been agreed beforehand that it wouldn't feature.

Despite all of the above, we remain 11 points clear of Livi, so it's not time to panic yet. If we had been given the chance to pick our next opponent, we couldn't have done better. A draw between Livi and United on Friday night and three points against Brechin on Saturday will steady the ship. Also, Jack has a week to settle the nerves in the players, so......COYS!!

PS. I also prefer my Bovril with pepper!

Edited by pondsman

I expect that the gap will close but hopefully not enough to catch us. The concept of closing a large points gap is interesting as the pressure is off the chasers to an extent which perhaps would explain livis high scoring antics yesterday. Last season everyone thought we were doomed so we could play as the underdog for most of the run in and just get stuck in with nothing to lose . This season we are being chased and while it’s great to be top with such a big gap we might play better if the gap was a bit less. Don’t get me wrong I would love to be 20 points clear with 3 games to play but I expect us to wobble at times. Let’s hope we handle the next few weeks . What a season! I might even get time off for a game. COYS!

It seemed pretty obvious that team weren't prepared right yesterday, the defence didnt seem to know who was picking up who, and the full backs just didn't tuck in to help out when Livi went continually route one. What happened to that 'Ross Is Staying Bounce' that was widely predicted? Why did we have to go wait till deep into the second half to make a token gesture at shoring up the defence, why weren't the full backs made to help their team mates?

Hopkins seems to know how to set up his team to play to Hardie and Miller's strengths, thats two sides Hardie has scored a brace for against us now! 

Hopefully if its not too much trouble, and if he's finished looking at his wage rise hitting the bank, Mr Ross might be persuaded to concentrate on the job he's actually being paid to do and help us win the league.

1 minute ago, Lord Pityme said:

It seemed pretty obvious that team weren't prepared right yesterday, the defence didnt seem to know who was picking up who, and the full backs just didn't tuck in to help out when Livi went continually route one. What happened to that 'Ross Is Staying Bounce' that was widely predicted? Why did we have to go wait till deep into the second half to make a token gesture at shoring up the defence, why weren't the full backs made to help their team mates?

Hopkins seems to know how to set up his team to play to Hardie and Miller's strengths, thats two sides Hardie has scored a brace for against us now! 

Hopefully if its not too much trouble, and if he's finished looking at his wage rise hitting the bank, Mr Ross might be persuaded to concentrate on the job he's actually being paid to do and help us win the league.

:lol: