Livingston v St Mirren 17th Feb

faraway saint

The Livingston game plan was pretty straightforward. Outmuscle and unsettle us, launch balls into the box (long throw after long throw) and crowd their defence when Saints were on the attack.

It was agricultural but effective. We weren't afforded scope to get the ball down and play, and, when we did, far too many passes went astray. Our players seemed rattled and bullied off the ball far too easily, but a poor surface didn't help. Unlike against Queens, Eckersley didn't find himself in much space due to the Livingston right back having a good game against Morgan so less need to double and treble up on him.

Every St Mirren player had an off day yesterday, but they were up against a big physical team who knew the game plan. Hardie inevitably responded to the boos and jeers from a big Saints supporter that only served to spur him on.

The officials were woeful, but they didn't lose the match for us.

Management took too long to get G Mac on when it was glaringly obvious the central defenders were struggling to defend high balls and long throws. On that subject why keep giving away throws in long throw range, madness. Howling goalkeeping didn't help either. All in all a poor day tactically for us. Huge two weeks coming up and a real must win next Saturday.

Guest TPAFKATS

The pitch is a tattie field more suitable for rugby than football.
They outmuscled us, kicked and niggles us were wasting time from the moment they levelled.
The ref was incompetent and the asset wasn't able to keep up with play, even at set pieces.

None of this takes away from the fact they we were pish and deserved nothing from the game.

6 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Management took too long to get G Mac on when it was glaringly obvious the central defenders were struggling to defend high balls and long throws. On that subject why keep giving away throws in long throw range, madness. Howling goalkeeping didn't help either. All in all a poor day tactically for us. Huge two weeks coming up and a real must win next Saturday.

I thought it was the type of game where John Sutton is an asset. Hippolyte at least competed with their big guys, but Reilly, Smith (Cammy) and Morgan were getting rag-dolled throughout, and needed a bit of protection. They tried, but were always toiling given the Livingston game plan.

I think some on here are being quite harsh over today's performance, it's our first league defeat since Dumbarton.

If Miller & Hardie played the way (they always seem to play against St Mirren) they wouldn't be at Livingston.

I think the large away support actually motivated Livingston more than us.

The way Livingston play is total anti football punt the ball as far up the pitch to the big guy and get players up to support it won't win any beautiful football awards but will win matches but not nearly enough to trouble us at top of the league.
Spot on. Defensive brain fart early on changed the momentum of the game as well, leading to some jitters in defence in the immediate aftermath.

Put it down to experience and move on, just as we've done after our previous defeats.

51 minutes ago, Drew said:

I thought it was the type of game where John Sutton is an asset. Hippolyte at least competed with their big guys, but Reilly, Smith (Cammy) and Morgan were getting rag-dolled throughout, and needed a bit of protection. They tried, but were always toiling given the Livingston game plan.

You seem to be describing a girls against boys game ?

On 14/02/2018 at 4:02 PM, faraway saint said:

Skitzo isnae his pal anymore, got fed up with his travelogue posts on match day. :rolleyes:

I don’t think Faraway is a big fan of the matchday travelog and with him practically living on here I wouldn’t want to upset him or his wee pal skitzo but ……….

Another good day out despite the result. We found a nice wee lounge bar in a hotel just outside Livingstone south and enjoyed Lunch a small refreshment and a bit of banter with Jambo’s watching their match on TV in in the Bankton House hotel. We convinced them of the invincibility of the mighty saints and despite the fact they went Skitzo when Ross County scored the equaliser they were happy to stick the Saints on their coupon.

We got into the ground just in time to see Ryan Flynn scramble the ball over the line as the crowd went skitzo and it all looked like plain sailing. The massive support were all in great fettle and the voices in my head were all telling me “We were on our way”

It didn’t quite go to plan. Fairly soon it got all ugly and the voices around me started to get quite vociferous. “Morgan You shat out of that”,Samson, Can you no shout”, “Bairdy that was bollocks” and for the rest of the match all I could hear were the Demons decrying the Saints as they struggled through the worst 90 mins I have seen this season. In my mind I felt McKenzie should have come on. He did to no avail. I felt Mullen might have countered their cheating as he is adept at falling on his arse and winning free kicks but the nightmare continued. I hoped Hippolitte might give us the strength to compete, but he didn’t and whilst I foresaw all the substitutions the vision before me was still tormenting.

Towards the end of the match all the dissenting voices started to leave, and the bad vibes disappeared as the more despondent murmurs evaporated leaving me with all my happy clappy friends to shout some support and encouragement to our hero’s who had a very bad day at the office.

Still happy in my own mind that the saints would prevail me and my mate headed off for a quick pint and some post-match discussion with a few fellow Edinburgh based Saints and some Lion’s fans in the bar at the Stadium. Livi deserved their victory and it was their day.

I did receive a visitation from my imaginary friend who told me everything was going to be alright. It was a voice I was happy to hear and a voice I trust. Whilst the dissenting voices did return when we returned to the Bankton and met our new found Jambo pals who went a bit skitzo because their coupons had been burst, I was happy that the only voice we can trust is not a figment of my imagination.

IMG_20180217_174900040 1.jpg

Edited by East Lothian Saint
Fecking mixed up Ross's n Ryan's

Lost one game in 10, it’s a disaster, the seasons over. Maybe nobody said this but calm down still 11 points in front. Bet the teams below us would love to be in our position. Let’s move onto the next game, we win the league yesterday’s score won’t mean a thing COYS

40 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

You seem to be describing a girls against boys game ?

That's a bit over-dramatic, but we were outmuscled. That happens from time to time, and wasn't helped by sub-standard performances across the team.

15 hours ago, faraway saint said:

So, we lost, no, we got thumped today, no real argument there.

The reason...............well, all subjective so no real right or wrong answer.

As usual there's the over reaction which is no real surprise.

Some supporters have very short memories and unreal expectations.

Looking at the bigger picture shows we're top of the league, we've only lost 5 games from 25 and have an 11 point lead over our nearest rivals.

It seems that people forget Livingston have plenty of hard games, and I know where all the other teams would be..................points on the board, not games in hand.

As for the rest, Dundee United were being written off by many recently, now, all of a sudden, some are saying they are real threat?

Nothing's impossible but can any really see us being anything less than 2nd this season, and that would take quite a collapse from us and an amazing run from Livingston & Dundee United, highly unlikely.

It seems some see us as world beaters then shite withing the space of a few weeks. :lol:

Agreed , we need to win our next two games , at home to Brechin and Falkirk , then , with 9 games left , it would take one crazy run of wins by Livingston or Dundee Utd to even get near us, and a collapse from us. Yesterday's was an awful , disjointed performance , it was like some of our defenders hadn't met each other before , and for once , Davis and Baird together just couldn't cope. I hope JR takes note that when we play physical teams we seem to struggle, the pre-season match v Dundee was very similar to yesterday , we weren't at the races that night either , bullied all over the place !

Guest TPAFKATS

We lost the battles individually across all 10 outfield positions.
It was so bad, it was like watching an Alex Rae team.
Worst performance since Dunfermline away first time round. We bounced back from that and I'd expect the same this time.
Coincidentally, that was the last away game I attended until yesterday.

I take full responsibility.

1 hour ago, billyg said:

Agreed , we need to win our next two games , at home to Brechin and Falkirk , then , with 9 games left , it would take one crazy run of wins by Livingston or Dundee Utd to even get near us, and a collapse from us. Yesterday's was an awful , disjointed performance , it was like some of our defenders hadn't met each other before , and for once , Davis and Baird together just couldn't cope. I hope JR takes note that when we play physical teams we seem to struggle, the pre-season match v Dundee was very similar to yesterday , we weren't at the races that night either , bullied all over the place !

Agreed on the physicality aspect. Seems we struggle with that side of the game at times.

Davies should have been able to cope with Miller much better, he’s a far superior player. That just highlighted that it was one of those days.

Interesting contrast in reactions by managers on the receiving end of a do-ing yesterday. On the way back from the game McInnes was being interviewed and it was clear he was seething that his players failed to compete, failed to win challenges and he had told them so, and told them how well Hibs played.

contrast that with our manager who insists yesterday's humping had nothing to do with the circus around his application for the Barnsley job, and he added he wasnt going to blame the players either. One manager takes responsibility and makes their shortcomings clear to his players, whilst the other.........

4 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Interesting contrast in reactions by managers on the receiving end of a do-ing yesterday. On the way back from the game McInnes was being interviewed and it was clear he was seething that his players failed to compete, failed to win challenges and he had told them so, and told them how well Hibs played.

contrast that with our manager who insists yesterday's humping had nothing to do with the circus around his application for the Barnsley job, and he added he wasnt going to blame the players either. One manager takes responsibility and makes their shortcomings clear to his players, whilst the other.........

refuses to criticise his team who have sweated blood guts and tears for him club and the fans this past year,  Well said LPM, just thought id finish your post, while you nipped of to the loo  :toilet