St Mirren give Barnsley permission to speak to JR

billyg

8 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

I would baulk at both of those, but that what opinions are about.

Why not Hopkin? Genuine question. He has links to the unwashed, but that's about it for negatives as far as I can see. What he's doing with Livi this season arguably outweighs what Ross is doing with Saints.

Sports journalism is full of fake news. Unless I saw quotes from either club, and from what I see there are none, then I would take it with a huge pinch of salt. Calm down everyone, WHEN, and not if, Jack gets his move to a bigger club we will all need to get on with it. Until it happens lets continue to enjoy this great time to be a buddie. Roll on Saturday and COYS!!

6 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

When you take resources into account, it's definitely close. They're a tiny f**king two-bit club currently sitting above the Arabs. That's a decent job.

I thought they had splashed a few bob this season?

20 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

Why not Hopkin? Genuine question. He has links to the unwashed, but that's about it for negatives as far as I can see. What he's doing with Livi this season arguably outweighs what Ross is doing with Saints.

Maybe the brand of football on offer? Long ball tactics to a team of hammer throwers might be effective in this league but I would hate to watch that every week and it would not do at a higher level.

29 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

Think Johnston's achievements outshine Hopkin, and seems to favour a playing style more like us. Dont buy he's outperforming Ross though.

11 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Neil Lennon ?

In managerial terms, indeed, but Lennon had a far more illustrious career as a football player, including several successful years with Celtic.

I'd stick a massive wedge that Ross has no chance being a Celtic manager in the next year or two.  Want to give me odds? 

In managerial terms, indeed, but Lennon had a far more illustrious career as a football player, including several successful years with Celtic.
I'd stick a massive wedge that Ross has no chance being a Celtic manager in the next year or two.  Want to give me odds? 

I won’t give odds because I dont really bet and I wasnt saying he would get the job I was simply pointing out that Celtic have appointed rookie managers ( which JRisnt )fwiw,I don’t think he would even want it . I can see JR being in high demand and quoted for many roles in the future . He is a switched on cookie who will move when it suits him to the role that suits him .

Just now, faraway saint said:

Not forgetting the more recent Aberdeen knicker wetting thread. :lol:

Forgot about that as well  :lol:   Has there ever been a manager that has went from our championship to the English championship ?  I would be surprise if the owners of Barnsley has ever heard of Jack Ross :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, Drew said:

A few thoughts having slept on this....

Jack is a shrewd guy. He will know that, despite the financial incentive that might be on offer, a move to a club that is in the relegation zone at this stage in the season would be a gamble.

Whilst he remains at St Mirren, the odds are that he will take us from teetering on the brink of dropping to the 3rd tier of Scottish football, to securing promotion to the top in less than 2 years. If he moved to Barnsley and they go down, that it is opposite career trajectory. That could potentially be very damaging.

Critically, for me, is the fact that JR only really kicked on at Saints when he had a huge clear out and brought in his own players. He wouldn't be in a position to do that if he were to move to Barnsley.  It would appear that he needs time to nurture players, and ensure that they are on board with his way of doing things. He wouldn't have that luxury if he moved now. Barnsley might well survive in the Championship, but there are absolutely no guarantees.

Finally, for a club in trouble in the 2nd tier of English football, and with all the cash and, therefore, options washing around down there, would they really take a punt on a young man who hasn't even managed in the top league in Scotland or actually won anything as yet? I doubt it, to be honest. You'd have to assume that Stevie Clarke, for example, would be considered a better option for them.

This is just an unwelcome distraction, that we need like a hole in the f**king head just now. Let's hope it is put to bed very soon.

I'm hopeful that the club have given him permission to talk to Barnsley on the belief he's not that interested. From Barnsley point of view, in their predicament, they need someone who can achieve the 'managerial bounce' and get results straight away, even if they are ground out - eg Alex Rae! At Alloa and St Mirren when Jack was appointed the atmosphere at the club and performances may have improved immediately but results didn't follow until 1 or 2 transfer windows later.

Lewis Morgan didn't jump at the first offer that he had and waited for a great offer to come along. I'm sure Jack knows how quickly managers are fired in the Championship and Premeiership and although the cash is better by miles there, he will weigh that against what is happening at St Mirren. He has a great relationship with GLS and the board, a 3 year deal, great relationship with the squad and the fans, and is looking certain to win a promotion. Most pundits already have us coming straight back down if we do win the title this year. Jack is in a win- win situation if he stays with us and we go up and then stay up.

I think he'll stay with us and it will further build the enthusiasm around the club as happened over the summer when Dundee came calling!