St Mirren give Barnsley permission to speak to JR

billyg

Wonder why we gave permission for Jack to be interviewed at such a critical time in the season?  He has just signed a new contract and the Board would expect him to finish the key job of promotion. A statement telling us they have refused permission ala Wycombe, would show the fans of the Board's determination to hold onto Jack and reduce any possible impact of him leaving.  As for Tony?  If Jack did travel down south yesterday why would he refute the Barnsley have made no contact statement? It will all come out in due course I guess. Personally, I would have told any approaching club to swivel.

10 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

The very fact JR travelled leads me to think he'll welcome the challenge. My hope is he doesn't get the choice and Barnsley go for a more high profile better proven option given the amount of cash they have down there. If that pans out, I  just hope there's no backlash due to him actually taking the opportunity to try for the post.

Just read the Barnsley FC forum of all names mentioned most want Jack Ross. There fans sound quite cool. 

Struggling to work out why we would refuse Dundee permission to talk to JR but meekly allow Barnsley. He is under contract for another 2 and a half years...

Contract clause? He's assured the board he won't take the job even if offered but wants to go through the process? He didn't want the Dundee job but does want this one?

2 minutes ago, sexybaldyguy said:

Seems to me that JR had a clause in his contract that would allow him to speak to other Clubs if they met SMFC's valuation.

It looks as if thats been met.

My worry is that JR knocks it back, then spends the rest of the Season thinking what might have been and that has a detrimental effect on our run in.

or, he goes and that has a detrimental effect on our run in. Either way its quite worrying.

Whatever happens, we as a group of fans have a big part in carrying this group of players over the line. COYS

Why would we include such a valuation option? That simply means any success would lead to our manager leaving.  Maybe this is a norm in some player contracts but a manager? How do you determine a manager's valuation?

1 minute ago, nedflanders123 said:

Why would we include such a valuation option? That simply means any success would lead to our manager leaving.  Maybe this is a norm in some player contracts but a manager? How do you determine a manager's valuation?

The valuation is the remainder of the manager's contract.

If JR is on, for example, £100k a year for the next 2 and a half years, the compensation that Bansley will pay is £250k.

1 minute ago, nedflanders123 said:

Do Aberdeen not have such a clause with Derek McInnes ? Seem to remember a figure around £750,000 when Rangers were sniffing around

If I was JR I’d take the Barnsley job if offered. 

I know there’s unfinished business here and some think he could get a bigger job but when you look at previous managers of ours who have achieved good things in recent years they have ended up at Queens Park and Clyde. 

A championship offer may never come around again. 

From out our point of view it’s the only downside of having a good young manager who’s getting some success on the park. We’re still strong enough to get promoted without JR as he’ll be leaving is in a solid position. 

Financially we’ll be compensated and we won’t be short of decent candidates now people see what sort of club we are these days. We have a togetherness from the fans to players and the board. We’re heading back to the top flight and in a sound financial state. We will have plenty of decent applications for the job. 

I hope JR stays but I wouldn’t grudge him the move and I think he would be crazy to decline the offer. 

I know there’s unfinished business here and some think he could get a bigger job but when you look at previous managers of ours who have achieved good things in recent years they have ended up at Queens Park and Clyde. 

From out our point of view it’s the only downside of having a good young manager who’s getting some success on the park. We’re still strong enough to get promoted without JR as he’ll be leaving is in a solid position. 
Financially we’ll be compensated and we won’t be short of decent candidates now people see what sort of club we are these days. We have a togetherness from the fans to players and the board. We’re heading back to the top flight and in a sound financial state. We will have plenty of decent applications for the job. 
I hope JR stays but I wouldn’t grudge him the move and I think he would be crazy to decline the offer. 

Unfortunately I would say the exact same

I remember Billy Reid knocked back the Swansea job....how did that work out for him.

there’s no guarantee a bigger job is around the corner

8 minutes ago, davidg said:

Great post, I completely agree. He would be nuts to reject it. Fantastic opportunity for him and if he gets it right a huge steeping stone to bigger clubs.

Massive challenge for him initially in getting to grips with the quality of Championship and the level of player required. Way higher than he has been used to dealing with and what he's played at.

There is enough in the current Barnsley team to stay up and from there with big investment he'll have a great chance to push them on. 

He's done more than enough for St Mirren and wouldn't begrudge him leaving at this moment at all.

Edited by lenziebud

I disagree that he'd be mad to turn it down. I think he'll step up to a much higher level after us.  He should stay with us and do a whole season at least in the Scottish Premier. Then i'm pretty sure he'd get a EPL job. I hope Jack finishes what he started with us, he seems that type of guy.

A lot of fingers in the ears, head in the sand naievity on this thread. IF Ross has travelled to Barnsley for an interview or even informal talks it's because he wants the job. Talk of going there for  Championship level interview experience is utter nonsense. If they now offer him the job chances are he will take it. They will be offering him a comparitive fortune and they will be no doubt selling him a vision of a club with a massive transfer kitty via the new owners. He will have had the perfect inside line from Mallan and no amount of hand wringing or pleading on here will make an iota of difference The ball is firmly in Barnsleys and JR's court all we can do is await the outcome. At least it looks like a quick decision either way although if he does go it's 99% certain he will want JF to go with him. Whether we can persuade him otherwise (assuming the board would want to) is debatable.

1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

When news breaks. No way we will here anything tonight  with Jack traveling up from Burnley he will want to talk with Gordon first face to face which is right. With talks taking place most of today ending after 7pm that is a lot of hours given that I would say Jack is off hope I'm wrong. 

Burnley as well as Barnsley. Jack sure gets around.

10 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Great post, I completely agree. He would be nuts to reject it. Fantastic opportunity for him and if he gets it right a huge steeping stone to bigger clubs.

Massive challenge for him initially in getting to grips with the quality of Championship and the level of player required. Way higher than he has been used to dealing with and what he's played at.

There is enough in the current Barnsley team to stay up and from there with big investment he'll have a great chance to push them on. 

He's done more than enough for St Mirren and wouldn't begrudge him leaving at this moment at all.

He started the dream. He brought in the players. He's augmented this in the January window. I don't think I could do other than grudge him if he went and things went t!ts up.

As for the previous poster.  I don't see where he gets the idea Barnsley have enough to remain in the Championship. The quality of players/managers throughout that league is a step up from what Jack is used to so it would be hard to judge.

For JR, the plus must be a probable 4x salary lift, a great financial injection, it is the Championship which would seem like the Champions League to most up her in financial terms. It’s tempting at this time, understandable

The negative, Barnsley is a shit hole, he would be yomping into the unknown, the gig is fraught with risk. He is on the verge of a major CV plus if he stays. To date he’s achieved hee haw.

I’d stay, get promoted then in the summer there would be better than Barnsley allegedly looking for him.

1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

When news breaks. No way we will here anything tonight  with Jack traveling up from Burnley he will want to talk with Gordon first face to face which is right. With talks taking place most of today ending after 7pm that is a lot of hours given that I would say Jack is off hope I'm wrong. 

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

That Jack gets about. :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Burnley as well as Barnsley. Jack sure gets around.

You're on fire tonight. :lol:

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

More than decent chance Barnsley could go down.

Could easily see JR go from hero to zero.

I'd be surprised of he takes it, although IF he did go down hes obviously interested.

It's a gamble for him and Barnsley. 

My thoughts too and why would he be in a hurry to leave his hero- like  status here... As i said if he stays a few more years he'll be heading to a much bigger club than Barnsley.