St Mirren give Barnsley permission to speak to JR

billyg

Yeah that is fair mate.
I suppose the flip side is that if Jack stays (and I still believe he will stay, did I mention that?) then it will give the whole club another nice lift just at the right time.
His determination to see the job through has been a consistent mantra all season and I've no reason to think he won't do that.
I don't expect him to be our manager for too much longer but I genuinely don't think this is the right move for him at this moment in time.

This is what's going through my head at the moment. If Jack stays, it will be noted on his impressively growing CV that he declined two offers from bigger clubs to finish the job that he started with us. It would be yet another boost to a team that is flying at the moment and he obviously has a strong bond with the players, so that might be in his thoughts.
He obviously has to put his family first, so who knows what kind of money could be involved down there, but the upheaval and uncertainty of moving could be a factor in our favour too, although you could argue that's the nature of the beast in football. He's forward thinking and ambitious, so he should be showing an interest in what a Championship club is willing to offer and learn a bit about they operate, just for the experience and to compare with any possible future offers he might receive.
If Jack was to go and it didn't work out for him, his stock would still be high up here and he would have the chance to walk into most jobs that came available in Scotland.
None of us have a clue of what is really going on behind the scenes, but fingers crossed that we get good news today. If Jack does stay we'll all be delighted and it will give the whole club a boost. I'm sure he will eventually end up with a move that befits such a talented young manager. Hopefully he'll have another Saints' win to add to his CV on Saturday.

When all the dust settles on this, it will be interesting to know why permission seems to have been so readily granted for Barnsley to speak to Jack. Possibly a clause in his contract?

Possibly. Then again money talks & I’m talking about for our club & Jack, I’d be gutted if he didn’t stay to finish the job off.

1 minute ago, ged62 said:

Possibly. Then again money talks & I’m talking about for our club & Jack, I’d be gutted if he didn’t stay to finish the job off.

I don't think any compensation figure will soften the blow a great deal. The club will do all that they can to keep him.

3 minutes ago, JJ McG said:

If JR does leave then Robbie Neilsen in to get us over the line.

If both Jack and James leave, I wouldn't be averse to McManus taking the reins to see the season out. Knows the players, knows Jack's style, and would just have to keep the ship steady.

1 hour ago, DougJamie said:

Image result for Jim Goodwin st mirren Just saying !!!

Sort of goes against my earlier post but........................

Woke up this morning felling quite maligned

Jack Ross is leaving on my mind

Barnsley will be his new football neighbourhood

Something tells me were going to get Jim Good……………………win

4 hours ago, East Lothian Saint said:

I like Goody and alongisde another legend Thomo was he not trying to motivate players during the terrible spell when the club was plummeting, losing goals in the last minute of every game and then losing matches every week. The feeling something wasn't right was ever present and the sense something was rotten in the club  and a lack of motivation existed from the BOD right down to the playing staff, haunted the terraces. They didn't do a very good job. Okay he was only the Captain not the manager but his team mates were in charge and he must have had a big influence, possibly negative because after him and Thomo left that attitude changed and the club turned around. 

He's doing Ok at Alloa and it was probably all down to TC and AR but I'd have reservations about appointing him as manager.  Still it's feck all to do with me , so Gone yersel Fitzy.

Just Saying

Your post makes no sense whatsoever. Gary Teale sidelined Goodwin while we got relegated from the SPL and Alex Rae got rid of him during the close season after keeping us up. Once Goodwin left for Alloa that's when Rae got off to a bad start in the league and was sacked by September.

Just saying

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy

6 minutes ago, Drew said:

If both Jack and James leave, I wouldn't be averse to McManus taking the reins to see the season out. Knows the players, knows Jack's style, and would just have to keep the ship steady.

My shortlist would be Goodwin, Neilson and McManus. Young coaches, with fresh ideas, two of whom have worked with Jack and hopefully picked things up from him, the other who has a great record of working with young players, and is another Paisley man.

2 minutes ago, Soctty said:

My shortlist would be Goodwin, Neilson and McManus. Young coaches, with fresh ideas, two of whom have worked with Jack and hopefully picked things up from him, the other who has a great record of working with young players, and is another Paisley man.

I just think it's at least a year too soon for Goodwin. The plan (that only existed in my heid) was for Jack to stay another year, at least, and then for Goodwin to take over then.

Goodwin is one my all-time favourites but I just have a nagging doubt. Then again, if he impresses GLS then that's good enough for me.

1 minute ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Your post makes no sense whatsoever. Gary Teale sidelined Goodwin while we got relegated from the SPL and Alex Rae got rid of him during the close season after keeping us. Once Goodwin left for Alloa that's when Rae got off to a bad start in the league and was sacked by September.

Just saying

Sense was never my strong point. All water under the bridge now. I suppose the key thing is what will happen now. There was something festering in the club then and yeah I'm probably being a bit harsh on Goody.  If he is the future I will support him.

Just now, Magic Monkey said:

I just think it's at least a year too soon for Goodwin. The plan (that only existed in my heid) was for Jack to stay another year, at least, and then for Goodwin to take over then.

Goodwin is one my all-time favourites but I just have a nagging doubt. Then again, if he impresses GLS then that's good enough for me.

He's done well at Alloa - only the two big full time teams outdoing them, after a sticky start to the season. He'd be more of a punt than Jack was, certainly.