St Mirren give Barnsley permission to speak to JR

billyg

4 minutes ago, PvtDoberman said:

Barnsley forum think he is just trying to get a better deal with us.

If he uses it as leverage, fair enough. I wouldn't think any less of him for that. Who wouldn't do the same? It is down to the BoD to decide how highly they rate him and want him to stay on.

It is interesting that Wycombe basically told Barnsley to get tae:

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/barnsley-fc/barnsley-thwarted-in-approach-for-ainsworth-1-9017564

Edited by Drew

3 minutes ago, PvtDoberman said:

Barnsley forum think he is just trying to get a better deal with us.

Aye, I posted something similar on P&B a few hours ago. I wouldn't blame him in the slightest.

Also: remember what Jack Ross was known for during his spell here as a player? The bonuses row. He's money motivated. Again, I'm fine with that.

4 minutes ago, Drew said:

Has never stop a manager talking to another club before and are probably still interested in him.

Edited by pod

For the 1st time in a long time saints have some money in the bank.....speculate to accumulate. We obviously have a limit, so offer Jack Ross as much as they can and if he says no at least they can say they tried their best. I dont think they could refuse him permission to speak to another club....i believe there was a clause was in his contract...   

Here on one issue you can see the turmoil that lies ahead when we move to complete fan ownership. Over the last almost two years the common theme you could pick out of most themes among fans was. 

Our future in our own hands

no sugar daddy

live within our means.... etc.. etc...

now a manager who already engineered a whopping pay rise the last time he was linked with a club looks like he will be offered yer another one within months and somehow clear thinking and  fiscal prudence go out the window. How fickle the football fan..! All this for a manager who hasnt yet! Won anything, but got his last club relegated.

should we just keep offering him more..? Or should we pay the going rate and invest in OUR future..?

14 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

Aye, I posted something similar on P&B a few hours ago. I wouldn't blame him in the slightest.

Also: remember what Jack Ross was known for during his spell here as a player? The bonuses row. He's money motivated. Again, I'm fine with that.

Utter nonsense, he's motivated by what is correct and has integrity to it. 

Its why he stands out as a leader

If a big club down South offer you a job, you're absolutely entitled to listen to that offer - then ask your own club to make you an offer to stay. I would do the same in his position. He knows the fans love him here, and he seems happy in the job. Think he will stay but on better terms. Hopefully this time we have some kind of compensation clause wrote into the deal for next time a club come knocking... (assuming you can do that for a manager..)

Edited by Doakes

Too long?  Barely 3 days? How quick do you think this could have taken? 
IF it's resolved today/tomorrow it'll have been completed pretty quickly IMO. 

The club should be making some sort of statement then, wee update. I think the supporters are entitled to that at least.

10 minutes ago, ged62 said:

The club should be making some sort of statement then, wee update. I think the supporters are entitled to that at least.

Saying, exactly, what?

It's not been 3 days, most of what's going on, if there is anything of any note, will be between Barnsley & JR, St Mirren will know very little detail to produce these mythical statements always want. :lol

Calm doon. 

PS Update.....................We don't know feck all, thanks for listening............................signed the club. 

Edited by faraway saint

Ach well, at least the club seem to be pulling out the stops. Can't really ask for a great deal more than that.

Again, this has been a bit of unwelcome distraction in the lead up to a hugely important match on Saturday, but it is what it is.

18 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Utter nonsense, he's motivated by what is correct and has integrity to it. 

Its why he stands out as a leader

:lol:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/st_mirren/8507246.stm

Edit: for ultimate clarity, I don't blame Jack Ross for the bonuses row, or for trying to get a pay rise. If he stays and becomes our highest ever paid manager, I'll still love him. But to suggest he isn't motivated by money is f**king farcical.

Edited by Magic Monkey

10 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Whatever "Bumper" equates to in pounds, shillings and pence.

are you suggesting he didnt sign a new and much improved contract in August? If so the club must be lying..?

I've no idea about the contents of his new contract. You don't either, hence why it's ridiculous for you to be slating the club for giving him a "whopping pay rise" when you've absolutely no idea if that is true or not!

1 hour ago, jaybee said:

An interesting and somewhat ironical comment on the Barnsley forum from a genuine and 'honest' supporter

ARC

ArcherfieldActive Member

Style:
Barnsley (full width)
Just over a week ago we lost our manager to Leeds, despite the fact he was a lifelong fan and, up to until Sunday that week, had seemed a decent bloke.

Now we are on the lookout for a manager and Jack Ross at St Mirren is in the frame. I've just spent the last hour reading 19 pages of comments (not much valantines night love) on the St Mirren forum. Just replace the name Ross with Heckingbottom and it could be ours from last week. First of all denial, then why Barnsley, then he'd be mad not to money etc. We'll be doing this to some club just like Leeds did to us.

In my mind that's why football is losing out. The smaller teams and fans can't dream anymore, the best we can hope for is the fleeting success like we enjoyed over 2016. Players and managers will move on, money is the be all and end all. Maybe I'm just old and realism has dawned but it never felt like this when I first went to Oakwell. Looking at the St Mirren site we are the big horrible club with money, Leeds et al are that to us and then there are the premier league teams to eat up the Leeds of this world.

Dare to dream? Not so much these days.

What a fantastic post. Spot on. Keep the Faith - very difficult.