St Mirren give Barnsley permission to speak to JR

billyg

23 minutes ago, Doakes said:

Do you enjoy supporting a club like that? Not a dig, genuinely curious. Not sure I'd like to support a club where they openly have no trust in a manager - the system just seems a bit.... empty... 

It's been a very good recent few years since the spreadsheet started, bottom of League 1 in December to Play off places in May, winning the JPT at Wembley, cruising through the play offs winning the semi final 6-1 on aggregate and then the final at Wembley 3-1 (9-1 one of the biggest margins in play off history) having a good season back in the Championship within touching distance of the play offs before key players were sold, highlights including beating multi-million pound sides like Villa on their own patch 3-1.

The only problem we have is once they have played a season or two the players are then on bigger clubs radars and we have no option to sell, if we could get them on 2nd contracts it would be the icing on the cake. Sorry, to add to this - due to the spreadsheet we do have about 75 central midfielders for some strange reason.. that's the frustrating part, stack them high...

Edited by BFC 1977

3 minutes ago, st jock said:

A genuine question to the Barnsley guys on here,
With the multi-billionaires on the board and the possible transfer kitty to come, why would the last manager who had recently signed a contract leave for the basket case that is Leeds? Genuine question and not a dig?

If you look on our forums and go back a few weeks a lot of fans were calling for his head, we're on a bad run remember. Now he has two options, stay at his boyhood club Barnsley and risk getting sacked in a couple of weeks? and then what - lower league management? or take up Leeds 18 month contract offer that would make him a millionaire, he could get sack in two months, would he be bothered? they would have to pay his contract up. 

Edited by BFC 1977

If you look on our forums and go back a few weeks a lot of fans were calling for his head, we're on a bad run remember. Now he has two options, stay at his boyhood club Barnsley and risk getting sacked in a couple of weeks? and then what - lower league management? or take up Leeds 18 month contract offer that would make him a millionaire, he could get sack in two months, would he be bothered? they would have to pay his contract up. 
Fair point. I've not been on the Barnsley forums TBH. I'm sure I read somewhere he only signed contract in the last week or so. If he does go you may get to see the best of wee Stevie Mallan. I have no doubt he will be a success if he does go and although disappointed I except that's what happens when you are successful

Just now, BFC 1977 said:

Far from it, look on twitter at our fans #teamslikebarnsley hashtag. All our players/Managers are eventually pilfered by the bigger clubs.

A chance to cock waft and we'll take it.......with two hands.

Quite right. I’d be the same if it was Saints.

43 minutes ago, scottd said:

We should do all we can within reason to hold on to him in my opinion, then again I wasn’t the one slating him from day one with names like Jack Dross etc.:rolleyes: So I can see why you ain’t too bothered.

Is it reasonable to make him the highest paid manager in our history, six months after presumably making the highest paid manager in our history??? Do you just keep throwing money at him every time he's linked with another club? Maybe there should be a Smisa vote on the £2 pot to part fund his wage increase? I mean why waste it on trying to divert young kids from hanging around the streets, give it to Jack instead.

Guest TPAFKATS
What Ross has won is respect of achievement, what he has already done is shown that he managed a  team miles adrift and got them safe, then pushed on to trash the rest. Its not about trophies for Barnsley ........................ England is , in short, far larger in every way to the Scottish Game, Salaries, players, crowds, 

However in this case you're spot on.................. They are very very small fish
 Turnover dropped from £9.4 million to £4.8 million. 2016

Net liabilities of £5.1 million.

The club really is worth nothing.

Sold players for £475,000. Who does that relate to?
  blivy, Mar 3, 2016  
Could the increased turnover at Barnsley be their share of the John stones transfer from Everton to man city?

9 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Is it reasonable to make him the highest paid manager in our history, six months after presumably making the highest paid manager in our history??? Do you just keep throwing money at him every time he's linked with another club? Maybe there should be a Smisa vote on the £2 pot to part fund his wage increase? I mean why waste it on trying to divert young kids from hanging around the streets, give it to Jack instead.

Yes it is reasonable to make him the highest paid manager in our history.  I wouldn’t imagine his current salary would outstrip that of latter years Gus MacPherson who was reputed to be on over six figures.  As for keeping kids off the street that is not the responsibility of a private company like St Mirren, although it would be interesting if was put to a vote of Smisa members.

Edited by scottd

Rather he got it than the women's team tbf [emoji35]

Guest TPAFKATS
The history part is a red herring.
It's entirely reasonable that Jack Ross should earn more than Sir Fergie did when he was our manager. Same with Alex Smith and Tom Hendrie.
I'd argue that Alex Rae would also have earned more than them.

4 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

The history part is a red herring.
It's entirely reasonable that Jack Ross should earn more than Sir Fergie did when he was our manager. Same with Alex Smith and Tom Hendrie.
I'd argue that Alex Rae would also have earned more than them.

Anybody with any sense would realise that...................................:wink:

Right - once we are finished with this meltdown - let's start imagining who from our playing staff will be foisted away by Premiership clubs before we play our 1st game in the top league next season...

Then later we can get onto the rumour mill with all the possible replacements..

Edited by Sweeper07

24 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Presumably Gus McPherson was the highest paid manager in our history, since he was with us for 6 years and had 4 seasons in the SPL and no doubt got a contract extension after the Setanta deal was signed, and it was reported that Danny Lennon was appointed on a lower salary when he took over.

31 minutes ago, scottd said:

Yes it is reasonable to make him the highest paid manager in our history.  I wouldn’t imagine his current salary would outstrip that of latter years Gus MacPherson who was reputed to be on over six figures.  As for keeping kids off the street that is not the responsibility of a private company like St Mirren, although it would be interesting if was put to a vote of Smisa members.

And if it pans out he stays on an improved contract presumably you'd. Be happy offering him more the next time he's linked with a club?

2 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

And if it pans out he stays on an improved contract presumably you'd. Be happy offering him more the next time he's linked with a club?

Sure would.  Although there will come a point where what other clubs offer will be well out of our range, if that is not already the case.

13 minutes ago, whydowebother said:

42 pages & almost everyone has Jack gone, with the exception of about 3 people ( of which I’m one )

I’m looking forward to Saturday with Jack in charge.

;)

You can understand why though ? Jack must be weighing up his options given there is no conformation that means it's 50%  ether way. We all want Jack to stay but there is a real reality he will go.  

6 minutes ago, scottd said:

Sure would.  Although there will come a point where what other clubs offer will be well out of our range, if that is not already the case.

Ha, ha, still if he does resist the urge to make history there's one runner to replace him fallen at the first, and set to ply his trade in a field doon the road from me.

https://www.thesouthernreporter.co.uk/sport/football/coughlin-takes-on-manager-s-role-at-selkirk-fc-1-4689627

Barnsley are offering a massive wage rise and an unexpectedly big step up the career ladder. The fact that he is having to think about it is a good thing for us.

If he stays, he’s got an improved contract, no need to uproot his family or live away from home, a club where he’s got great relationships with everyone, a league title to go for and will still be viewed as the next big thing in management.

Some folk strive for more and more in terms of money and career, but happiness is a much underestimated commodity in life.