Sign in to follow this  
billyg

St Mirren give Barnsley permission to speak to JR

5 hours ago, Drew said:

A few thoughts having slept on this....

Jack is a shrewd guy. He will know that, despite the financial incentive that might be on offer, a move to a club that is in the relegation zone at this stage in the season would be a gamble.

Whilst he remains at St Mirren, the odds are that he will take us from teetering on the brink of dropping to the 3rd tier of Scottish football, to securing promotion to the top in less than 2 years. If he moved to Barnsley and they go down, that it is opposite career trajectory. That could potentially be very damaging.

Critically, for me, is the fact that JR only really kicked on at Saints when he had a huge clear out and brought in his own players. He wouldn't be in a position to do that if he were to move to Barnsley.  It would appear that he needs time to nurture players, and ensure that they are on board with his way of doing things. He wouldn't have that luxury if he moved now. Barnsley might well survive in the Championship, but there are absolutely no guarantees.

Finally, for a club in trouble in the 2nd tier of English football, and with all the cash and, therefore, options washing around down there, would they really take a punt on a young man who hasn't even managed in the top league in Scotland or actually won anything as yet? I doubt it, to be honest. You'd have to assume that Stevie Clarke, for example, would be considered a better option for them.

This is just an unwelcome distraction, that we need like a hole in the f**king head just now. Let's hope it is put to bed very soon.

I'm hopeful that the club have given him permission to talk to Barnsley on the belief he's not that interested. From Barnsley point of view, in their predicament, they need someone who can achieve the 'managerial bounce' and get results straight away, even if they are ground out - eg Alex Rae! At Alloa and St Mirren when Jack was appointed the atmosphere at the club and performances may have improved immediately but results didn't follow until 1 or 2 transfer windows later.

Lewis Morgan didn't jump at the first offer that he had and waited for a great offer to come along. I'm sure Jack knows how quickly managers are fired in the Championship and Premeiership and although the cash is better by miles there, he will weigh that against what is happening at St Mirren. He has a great relationship with GLS and the board, a 3 year deal, great relationship with the squad and the fans, and is looking certain to win a promotion. Most pundits already have us coming straight back down if we do win the title this year. Jack is in a win- win situation if he stays with us and we go up and then stay up.

I think he'll stay with us and it will further build the enthusiasm around the club as happened over the summer when Dundee came calling!

According to the BBC:

The Commonwealth has secretly begun considering who might succeed the Queen as its head, the BBC has learned.

The issue is hugely sensitive because the role is not hereditary and will not pass automatically to the Prince of Wales on the Queen's death.

I fully expect JR to be the bookies favourite for this position.

6 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

According to the BBC:

The Commonwealth has secretly begun considering who might succeed the Queen as its head, the BBC has learned.

The issue is hugely sensitive because the role is not hereditary and will not pass automatically to the Prince of Wales on the Queen's death.

I fully expect JR to be the bookies favourite for this position.

Considering as she probably will live for another 30 years that rules Jack out

49 minutes ago, billyg said:

It would be great if Barnsley come out today and announced a new boss , a journeyman  manager , like Gary Monk. Here's hoping , then we can move on !

Move on from what? Three or four lines in the sports page of one newspaper without any foundation or any quotes!? It's business as usual, first stop Livingstone and another 3 points. :D

From HITC.....

St Mirren's Jack Ross is the new 10/11 favourite for the Barnsley manager's job, with Sky Bet.

It follows a report in the Scottish Sun on Tuesday, which claims Barnsley have been reluctantly granted permission to speak to the 41-year-old.

Ross, who was as low as 25/1 beforehand, has swiftly surpassed Mick McCarthy (7/4), Paul Simpson (5/4) to become the new front-runner for the role, vacated by Paul Heckingbottom last week.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/02/13/st-mirrens-jack-ross-is-new-1011-favourite-for-barnsley-managers/

44 minutes ago, renfrew said:

Forgot about that as well  :lol:   Has there ever been a manager that has went from our championship to the English championship ?  I would be surprise if the owners of Barnsley has ever heard of Jack Ross :rolleyes:

Alan Stubbs & Owen Coyle

What are the known, knowns here?

Barnsley have had 100 applicants 50 of them credible.

"Newspapers" like the Sun regularly sensationalise or make up stories as clickbait.

There is no evidence to support the claim Barnsley have made an approach.

There is no evidence to suggest St Mirren have given Barnsley permission to speak to Jack Ross.

Of course this could be on of those rare occasions when press speculation turns out to true and Jack will be away soon. But until I see any evidence I hae ma doobts.

Edited by Kenny fae Partick'

According to Dougie McNeil (reliable, Saints supporting media type), JR is definitely on Barnsley's radar.

So be it. There is nothing we can do about it, other than hope that, whatever happens, it won't derail our season,and get along to the game on Saturday to maintain the level of support we have given up till now.

I for one am stunned to see that the Sun is generating stories with no quotes that also relate to betting markets being offered by sister company Sky Bet.

10/11 is a tempting price if you think it looks likely to happen - double your money, near enough. Tempting enough to encourage punters to have a go on a market that they might not have touched/been interested in otherwise. 

The plot thickens further when you see that, according to oddschecker, only BetVictor and SkyBet are listing prices for this.

I do hope this wasn't simply a play to inject some life into a quiet fixed odds market. 

7 minutes ago, Buddie Marvelous said:

From HITC.....

St Mirren's Jack Ross is the new 10/11 favourite for the Barnsley manager's job, with Sky Bet.

It follows a report in the Scottish Sun on Tuesday, which claims Barnsley have been reluctantly granted permission to speak to the 41-year-old.

Ross, who was as low as 25/1 beforehand, has swiftly surpassed Mick McCarthy (7/4), Paul Simpson (5/4) to become the new front-runner for the role, vacated by Paul Heckingbottom last week.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/02/13/st-mirrens-jack-ross-is-new-1011-favourite-for-barnsley-managers/

47 minutes ago, renfrew said:

I would be surprise if the owners of Barnsley has ever heard of Jack Ross :rolleyes:

They have obviously heard of Ross, as its THEY  who want to talk to him!

Barnsley Target St Mirren Boss Jack Ross The Sack Race (Weblog) 11:02

Barnsley given permission to speak to Scottish Championship manager The72 (Weblog) 10:07

Barnsley want Jack Ross as next manager as they prepare St Mirren approach Daily Record 05:55

Image result for confused emoticon

1 minute ago, Buddie Marvelous said:

Barnsley given permission to speak to Scottish Championship manager The72 (Weblog) 10:07

Barnsley want Jack Ross as next manager as they prepare St Mirren approach Daily Record 05:55

How do you know they want to talk to him?

26 minutes ago, Buddie Marvelous said:

Aye that's me convinced now :rolleyes:

Why not Hopkin? Genuine question. He has links to the unwashed, but that's about it for negatives as far as I can see. What he's doing with Livi this season arguably outweighs what Ross is doing with Saints.

Bollocks, you not remember where we were when Jack took over?

5 hours ago, Sonny said:

Jack is an intelligent guy so he ain't going to Barnsley.

Exactly, only a dafty would want to quadruple there wages..

Hopefully it's a pile of shite, but TBH I think Jack will be off at the end of the season, with the championship under his belt they'll be a host 

of clubs knocking at his door,