Paisley Police Station taped off with a Cop on Guard

DumboBud

2 minutes ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Well that's the rozzers I suppose . .

I spoke to the young "copper" and he pointed out the bare patch on the otherwise immaculately clad wall.

He said "the tape is to keep people away in case any more falls off".

I feel safe going to bed tonight.

14 hours ago, MWISAINT71 said:

Does anyone know why the are called Busy's?

When I moved to Bangor in 1985, our local police station was like a fortress with armed police on the gates. If a tile got blown off the roof it was usually caused by a bomb. Now the new police station is like a modern office block and the opening hours are 9am until 5-30 pm, closing for an hour at lunchtime. Police are still regularly called peelers over here, which I quite like. The old RUC uniform was green, ironically called rifle green, which looked more like black. Of course that led to them getting called black bastards. When relative peace came along and officers removed there flak jackets and helmets, they regularly heard shouts of ' So you're no really black bastards!'

If any of our readers ever visit Belfast, I highly recommend a visit to the old Crumlin Road Jail. Well worth a visit. Amongst it's alumni were Ian Paisley and Martin McGuinness, luckily not at the same time. So too, incredibly, was Eamon de Valera.

PS. I genuinely believe that if Martin McGuiness was still alive, we wouldn't have this crazy impasse over here about devolved government.

Guest TPAFKATS

PS. I genuinely believe that if Martin McGuiness was still alive, we wouldn't have this crazy impasse over here about devolved government.

Even with Arlene batting for the other side?

2 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

Even with Arlene batting for the other side?

Arlene is in deep brown stuff  over the Renewable Heat Incentive Inquiry. It was her refusal to step aside temporarily (or maybe for good) that made Sinn Fein walk away from Stormont. The inquiry starts in a couple of weeks and I imagine Arlene is a tad nervous. The Irish language thing is a red rag to Unionists and Sinn Fein's absolute insistence that it must go ahead looks like a real deal breaker. All those buggers are on full pay for doing sod all.

3 hours ago, RickMcD said:

When I moved to Bangor in 1985, our local police station was like a fortress with armed police on the gates. If a tile got blown off the roof it was usually caused by a bomb. Now the new police station is like a modern office block and the opening hours are 9am until 5-30 pm, closing for an hour at lunchtime. Police are still regularly called peelers over here, which I quite like. The old RUC uniform was green, ironically called rifle green, which looked more like black. Of course that led to them getting called black bastards. When relative peace came along and officers removed there flak jackets and helmets, they regularly heard shouts of ' So you're no really black bastards!'

If any of our readers ever visit Belfast, I highly recommend a visit to the old Crumlin Road Jail. Well worth a visit. Amongst it's alumni were Ian Paisley and Martin McGuinness, luckily not at the same time. So too, incredibly, was Eamon de Valera.

Interesting bit of history Rick, didn't know de Valera had been held in the north. .

29 minutes ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Interesting bit of history Rick, didn't know de Valera had been held in the north. .

I presume that was before the north was a separate entity,  I certainly don't think de Valera would have considered himself abroad in Belfast. 

While we're wandering down this cul de sac I'd disagree with Rick and say I suspect the Unionists and particularly their leader are the ones to blame for the impasse - the current situation where they hold the balance of power at Westminster suits them fine.

Sorry about my late response to the thread, it's been a Lontimecoming BAWA's own personal Blue Meanie!

Image result for blue meanies

Just want to make it clear that I don't blame Sinn Fein for the current situation. One lot is as bad as the other. Strange that The Chuckle Brothers could get on so well yet the current MLA's are as far away from sustaining a working relationship as they were before the Good Friday Agreement.