St Mirren v Brechin Sat 24th Feb

faraway saint

26 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Where does this Mr Fixit :lol: get these odds or does he just make them up? 

Cannie bo bothered checking any more, methinx Mr Fixit makes things up. 

I heard a wee rumour that because Jack was pre-occupied, Mr Fixit was put in charge of our tactics for the Livi game  and he just made them up. 

We should be back to winning ways this week

Lets just go back to what was working, McShane back in the middle with McGinn, any 2 centre halfs from the 3 and hopefully get Gav back in the goal groove.  The one change you really couldn't argue with would be Samson after his performance last week but I'm pretty sure Jack will back him and play him.  Let Brechin worry about us lets not go chopping and changing to face a team who have "amassed" 4 points all season.

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Lets just go back to what was working, McShane back in the middle with McGinn, any 2 centre halfs from the 3 and hopefully get Gav back in the goal groove.  The one change you really couldn't argue with would be Samson after his performance last week but I'm pretty sure Jack will back him and play him.  Let Brechin worry about us lets not go chopping and changing to face a team who have "amassed" 4 points all season.

Could not agree more. We have a team or proven players who have got us to the top of the League and kept us there. They do not only have the ability but just as important a winning mentality. With 11 games to go this is not a time to make unnecessary experiments.  Let the other teams worry about us and not the other way round.

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Got to say I was one who questioned McShane dropping out, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him back in the starting lineup on Saturday. His creativity will be much needed against a team who won't give up much space. I wouldn't be panicking after one defeat though - it was one of those days - and if we choose an unchanged team, then I'd still be confident of getting the 3 points.

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Where does this Mr Fixit :lol: get these odds or does he just make them up? 

On Bet 365:

West Ham 12/1

Airdrie 6/1

Cowdenbeath 6/1

Bolton 11/2

Crystal Palace 9/2

Hearts 5/1

Cannie be bothered checking any more, methinx Mr Fixit makes things up. 

West Ham 14/1 with Bet Victor, Hearts 11/2 on Betfair, Palace 13/2 Bet Victor, Bet365 currently. Not checked the others - oddschecker will give you a spread of all prices. 

McShane got dropped because we were becoming too slow, predictable, and not taking chances. Funny people calling for there to be no change, when putting McShane back in would be a change.

it should be 'horses for courses' tomorrow.... Hippolyte, Sutton and Donati to start! Anyone who travelled through to Brechin before Christmas will have seen their game plan is frustrate, cheat, kick ball away, kick for touch and go route one on the counter. We can capitalise on that by playing a more physical side that they cant knock off the ball.

13 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

I think people are more calling to change back to a tried, tested and successful team and system rather than the wholesale changes that some others may be looking for.

Obviously Ross had his reasons for dropping McShane. Having seen him play imo he passes up options to shoot or play a cutting pass too often, and doesnt weigh in with any holding midfield work.  Magennis has help shore that up, but even then he & McGinn want to get forward meaning teams capable can launch route one counters.

Donati i believe has been brought in to address that in the games when we arent up against teams that want to play football. Thats why i think, he, Hippo & Sutton should start against Brechin, then you have Reilly & Smith to bring on when their midfield & defence are flagging. Last weekend highlighted how badly we need a plan B for certain games. Next weekend i would start Reilly & Smith again against Utd.

edit: last time against Brechin McShane was honking and got hooked with Sutton coming on. I think Ross wont make the same mistake and start that line up again! Dont they say 'in Jack we trust'

Edited by Lord Pityme

9 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Obviously Ross had his reasons for dropping McShane. Having seen him play imo he passes up options to shoot or play a cutting pass too often, and doesnt weigh in with any holding midfield work.  Magennis has help shore that up, but even then he & McGinn want to get forward meaning teams capable can launch route one counters.

Donati i believe has been brought in to address that in the games when we arent up against teams that want to play football. Thats why i think, he, Hippo & Sutton should start against Brechin, then you have Reilly & Smith to bring on when their midfield & defence are flagging. Last weekend highlighted how badly we need a plan B for certain games. Next weekend i would start Reilly & Smith again against Utd.

edit: last time against Brechin McShane was honking and got hooked with Sutton coming on. I think Ross wont make the same mistake and start that line up again! Dont they say 'in Jack we trust'

Interesting take on things......if I am right McShane has missed two games with the manager suggesting the first one, at least, was to give him a rest. Against QoS their manager absolutely roasted his team for not closing the game down etc but I'm more believing that we just outplayed them on the first half and too hot to handle.

In the second game against Livi, and I'm a fan of Magennis, to suggest that he has helped shore up the centre of midfield is just crazy talk!!

19 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

Interesting take on things......if I am right McShane has missed two games with the manager suggesting the first one, at least, was to give him a rest. Against QoS their manager absolutely roasted his team for not closing the game down etc but I'm more believing that we just outplayed them on the first half and too hot to handle.

In the second game against Livi, and I'm a fan of Magennis, to suggest that he has helped shore up the centre of midfield is just crazy talk!!

Nobody said 'centre of midfield' and I explicitly said with Magennis & McGinn wanting to get forward other coaches target that as an opportunity.  Put Donati in there sitting behind McGinn gives us real strength we havent had this season. We will see with the team sheet tomorrow, but I certainly dont think Ross has gone out on a bit of a limb bringing in Donati to not even make the bench.

imo, McShane wont get back in tomorrow, and the Hippo, the Shark (Donati) and the Panther (Sutton) will see their fair share of action in a great win for us.

1 minute ago, Lord Pityme said:

Nobody said 'centre of midfield' and I explicitly said with Magennis & McGinn wanting to get forward other coaches target that as an opportunity.  Put Donati in there sitting behind McGinn gives us real strength we havent had this season. We will see with the team sheet tomorrow, but I certainly dont think Ross has gone out on a bit of a limb bringing in Donati to not even make the bench.

McShane. Having seen him play imo he passes up options to shoot or play a cutting pass too often, and doesnt weigh in with any holding midfield work.  Magennis has help shore that up,

I'll leave others to make up their own minds but you inferred that Magennis had covered up for what you perceive as McShane's deficiencies, I only pointed out that having been at the Livi game that was errant nonsense.

That said I'm not going to get bogged down in a long drawn out debate about it other than to say I disagree with your reading of the situation and I'm quite happy with my view!!

7 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

I'll leave others to make up their own minds but you inferred that Magennis had covered up for what you perceive as McShane's deficiencies, I only pointed out that having been at the Livi game that was errant nonsense.

That said I'm not going to get bogged down in a long drawn out debate about it other than to say I disagree with your reading of the situation and I'm quite happy with my view!!

Yeah... selective quoting. Here's the full quote "Magennis has help shore that up, but even then he & McGinn want to get forward meaning teams capable can launch route one counters."

As you say "I'll leave others to make up their own minds" I'm not surprised you disagree citing half a quote lol 

4 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Yeah... selective quoting. Here's the full quote "Magennis has help shore that up, but even then he & McGinn want to get forward meaning teams capable can launch route one counters."

As you say "I'll leave others to make up their own minds" I'm not surprised you disagree citing half a quote lol 

Ffs....accusing me of being selective and then selectively quoting yourself.....gee whizz, at least you can celebrate dragging me in for one last post. Off you toddle, it won't happen again xx

7 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

Ffs....accusing me of being selective and then selectively quoting yourself.....gee whizz, at least you can celebrate dragging me in for one last post. Off you toddle, it won't happen again xx

Tut, tut.. no need to get nasty again. I think someone could do with a spell on the naughty step! As Massimo would say 'Ciao Baby'

Quite surprised, or am I, at the lack of belief that we are hot favourites to win this league.
We've been on, overall, great form for about a year.
The league is as weak as it's been for many a year.
We've a massive lead, even if the teams below win their games in hand.
Relax, enjoy the remaining games, celebrate being league champions and stop looking for problems that might, or might not, happen next season.
Just as we've done the last two transfer windows, we'll strengthen and be ready for the challenge of the top league. 

First time I’ve seen you post something sensible.

So some folk saw Livvy beat us using hoof ball tactics and now think we should pick a team to do the same at home to the worst team in the division who haven't won a game all season. Jack and the majority of fans knows what works, no need for total knee jerk reactions to what after all was only our fifth league defeat of the season. Thankfully that is not Jack's style.