St Mirren v Brechin Sat 24th Feb

faraway saint

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

So some folk saw Livvy beat us using hoof ball tactics and now think we should pick a team to do the same at home to the worst team in the division who haven't won a game all season. Jack and the majority of fans knows what works, no need for total knee jerk reactions to what after all was only our fifth league defeat of the season. Thankfully that is not Jack's style.

We have been successful playing a busy, pressing and passing game but didn't find games against Brechin easy. I expect a stubborn performance from Brechin. The man to win this game for us,if he is on for, is Lewis Morgan. 

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

We have been successful playing a busy, pressing and passing game but didn't find games against Brechin easy. I expect a stubborn performance from Brechin. The man to win this game for us,if he is on for, is Lewis Morgan. 

Exactly, pace and skill will open up a limited team like Brechin. Going physical would be exactly what they want. Poor defenders would rather face a physical direct approach, the thing they fear the most is pace and skill.

St Mirren v Brechin City - Match Preview - By Steven Mew

gry_bottom_left.gif
St Mirren v Brechin City
St Mirren v Brechin City

City know that they will have to be at their very best to bounce back from a last gasp defeat against Falkirk last weekend as they make the tough trip to face league leaders St Mirren in Paisley tomorrow afternoon. 

Despite a surprising defeat against Livingston last weekend, Jack Ross and his side are currently 11 points clear at the top and are odds on to lift the Championship title at the end of April. 

City however can take a number of positives from a hard-fought performance against the Bairns last weekend and will look to make things as difficult as possible for the Buddies at St Mirren Park. 

PREVIOUS MEETINGS 
The City players could consider themselves incredibly unfortunate not to have taken any points off the league leaders this season – going down narrowly in both matches between the sides. In September, City travelled to Paisley and found themselves a goal down after just 14 minutes when Cammy Smith netted, however a stooping header from ex-Saint Kalvin Orsi had the sides level at the break. For periods of the second half, City looked the most likely to net a winner however it was Dale Hilson who pounced 12 minutes from time to earn all three points for the home side. 

In the reverse fixture at Glebe Park in December, St Mirren edged City out again by the same 2-1 scoreline. Again the Buddies took the lead through top scorer Gavin Reilly however they were pegged back by an Isaac Layne goal seven minutes later. Despite another positive performance from the Reds, they were undone by a penalty converted by Cammy Smith midway through the second half. 

LAST TIME OUT 
Both sides will be looking to bounce back from their respective defeats at the weekend. A goal deep into stoppage time from Alex Jakubiak gave Falkirk all three points against a battling City side at Glebe Park. Meanwhile, the Buddies went down to a surprise 4-1 thumping against Livingston at the Tony Macaroni Arena – their first league defeat in 10 matches. 

TEAM NEWS 
In addition to long term injury victim Ryan McGeever, both Andy Jackson and skipper Paul McLean remain sidelined whilst Jordan Sinclair is also struggling for fitness ahead of the match. Darren Dods will also be without the services of Aron Lynas who is suspended following his dismissal against Falkirk on Saturday. 

Midfielder Craig Storie comes straight into the squad after City completed the signing of the former Aberdeen and Scotland youth internationalist during the week. The club is still pursuing the possibility of bringing striker Dene Shields back to the Glebe – difficulties still exist around international clearance although there is now renewed optimism that this might yet reach a successful conclusion. A late addition to the squad is Dundee defender Kostadin Gadzhalov who joins City on a month long loan deal who comes into immediate contention for a starting place. 

The home side may well include ex AC Milan and Celtic midfielder Massimo Donati in their match-day squad – the Italian midfielder signed a short term deal until the end of the season after leaving Hamilton Academical. 

MATCH OFFICIALS 
The fixture will be officiated by Steven McLean, assisted by Stuart Stevenson and David McKniff. McLean has taken charge of one other City match this season – that being the 5-0 Scottish Cup defeat against Celtic at Parkhead. 

Think I’d be tempted to bring McShane back in and push Kyle back out to cover right midfield - we have better players so just need to concentrate on our game and we should be fine.  Early goal would be good though 

Edited by Dare

Samson   : Smith ,Baird , Davis ,Stelios : Magennis , McGinn , Morgan : Smith  Hippolyte  : Reilly

Bench - Stewart , Donati , McKenzie ,  Eckersley , Flynn , McShane , Mullen

Might be wrong here but I think JR maybe freezing Sutts out of the picture , we may see him go on an emergency loan now !

Edited by billyg

Samson   : Smith ,Baird , Davis ,Stelios : Magennis , McGinn , Morgan : Smith  Hippolyte  : Reilly
Might be wrong here but I think JR maybe freezing Sutts out of the picture , we may see him go on an emergency loan now !

I'd been thinking of giving Stelios a start too. I think we can use him going forward against Brechin.
Also like to see Hippo up front, just to give us a bit of strength up front.

Looking forward to Corp hospitality and a few goals today.

4-1 (but like most, I'll take any kind of win)

Any type of win to the end of the season will be fine ‘win ugly’ if necessary.

A win today puts United out of the picture completely in my opinion.

I think the team needs to send out a clear message, catch us if you can.

Saints 6- 1 Brechin is my updated prediction.

No messing

I think the manager will play a team that he thinks are the best team to play against a team that are bottom of the league. 

Horses for courses, would be silly playing the same team the same way every week, as has been pointed out that some managers will suss out out style, our manager will prove he's got more than one string to his bow, I hope. 

15 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I think the manager will play a team that he thinks are the best team to play against a team that are bottom of the league. 

Horses for courses, would be silly playing the same team the same way every week, as has been pointed out that some managers will suss out out style, our manager will prove he's got more than one string to his bow, I hope. 

Agree with this

I'm hoping for a reaction from last week

I remember from Tom Hendrie season we were getting getting a bit of pressure

We played the bottom team and beat them 8-0

We have been on the recieving end of a few hammerings but we haven't dished out any ourselves

Time to change this

2 hours ago, billyg said:

Feel sorry for the big man

Mullen has been disappointing to be mild 

Time for him to repay the faith JR  has shown