St Mirren v Brechin Sat 24th Feb

faraway saint

FT 1-0

Cue the correct clichés that all that matters at this stage of the season is 3 points. Rather be lucky than good, and all that.

What I will say is if the team does go up - as it surely will - taking away Morgan i could count the amount of Premiership standard players in our squad on one hand. Wholesale changes will be required and I’m sure the management realise that.

Morgan was rotten again today. Mcgennis, Eckersley and Smith were only real pass marks for me.

Reilly was absolutely furious when his number went up to be subbed.

I actually have some sympathy for him, every single week he gets hooked on 60mins, usually for Mullen but today big Hippolyte

We have played a rigid 4 4 1 1 all season, which means if we're changing things up top , only Reilly and Smith can be sacrificed.

Haven’t read all the posts so don’t know if this is been mentioned but our pitch was a disgrace today (not sure what’s happened to it?) and IMO had a significant impact on the game. If we have to play on that for the rest of the season our strong home form might take a hit unless Jack prepared to play more direct.

3 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

I was a guest at the Scotland v England game at Murray field so missed the Brechin game.  Looks like I made the right and unusual decision to go there rather than St Mirren Park. But ....3 more points and our lead extended. 

You definitely did (and I hate rugby) . 

We played well enough first half without being great . We really need to start taking our chances when we're on top. The last 30 mins were as poor as we've been all season. Still, no damage done and another very important 3 points. 

It wasn’t pretty today but we got off to a good start and played some really nice stuff for the first 30 mins or so. 

If we had scored the penalty I think we would have went in to score a couple more. Game really dipped after this but Brechin are so difficult to play against. They may be rock bottom of the league but they’ve not taken many pumpings this season. Very tough to break down. 

3 points are all that matters in the end. 

We were honking today. Against anyone else in league we would have lost. Morgan has not played that great for at least 5 games. I think he will be loaned back to us next year not good enough for Celtic. 

Yes it was 3 points but I hope the team work on a passing game we are at our best passing quickly. 

We were shit and so were them. In the 2nd half it seem to me that players from both side were trying to prove to the other players who were the worst players on the pitch  :lol:  For every shit pass we made, they did the same and it was dreadful to watch. 2 teams of players with a total lack of ability and that include the players we have in loan from spl clubs :lol:  Thank f for the 3 points for us since that was the only good thing that came out today game.

4 hours ago, windae cleaner said:

Not just him

Reilly was poor again

Reilly has been poor for a long time. Ive said it on here before that I can 100% see how Dunfermline and Hearts got rid. I don't think he's Premeirship class either. I also think Hippolyte is a better player and will prove it. Mullen was brought to shake up Reilly but just hasn't cut it. 

Reilly for me seems untouchable in terms of criticism so no doubt I'll get pelters !!

Morgan is another who's performances since his Celtic move was announced has not kicked a ball. Should have been taken off today also.

We were absolutely rank today and have not played well for a long time. We are getting all the breaks coming our way. Even today Brechin hit the post with Samson beaten all ends up.

Edited by lenziebud

1 hour ago, saintargyll said:

We have not played well against Brechin all season

i wish we were playing Falkirk on Tuesday as I think Queens will beat Utd 

Morton to beat Livvy

Yeah we've been poor against them in the two home games (wasn't at the away game so can't comment). It's a St Mirren thing really, we often seem to struggle against rubbish teams regardless of our own circumstances. Perhaps sub-consciously the players know they have to be at their best against the other teams but not when it's only wee, part-time Brechin.

There's been quite a few times this season when we're decent in the first half, get a goal up, should arguably be further in front then have a poor second half and are clinging on a bit. Inverness Caley and Dunfermline immediately spring to mind. Today wasn't quite to that extent but surely our luck will eventually run out and we'll concede a costly late goal. Thankfully it wasn't today.

Wow, could you give me 6 numbers for tonights Lottery? [emoji38]
No chance, gave them to a Brechin fan after the game.

Don't need the money after scooping £78 million last night.

I had a little tongue in cheek with the message about United they will see playing us as a chance to right 1 of a whole load of wrongs & would be just typical for them to pull a performance out the bag now.

Get used to it guys. Teams have worked us out a wee bit and press us very high knowing we don't have an out ball to a target man as such. At one point today Brechin had five players within a 30 yard radius of our corner flag so you don't get much higher than that.
Also we need to make sure Morgan doesn't come to a complete stop every time he gets the ball near the opposition penalty box.

Just now, rabuddies said:

Get used to it guys. Teams have worked us out a wee bit and press us very high knowing we don't have an out ball to a target man as such. At one point today Brechin had five players within a 30 yard radius of our corner flag so you don't get much higher than that.
Also we need to make sure Morgan doesn't come to a complete stop every time he gets the ball near the opposition penalty box.

Some believe we are fine playing the same players the same way every week.

Hey, we are top of the league but, as I tried to explain earlier this week, we should be looking to improve/change our players and the way we play.

18 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Some believe we are fine playing the same players the same way every week.

Hey, we are top of the league but, as I tried to explain earlier this week, we should be looking to improve/change our players and the way we play.

We are getting away with it because the quality of the league is junk. Whoever is in the play off from this league doesn't have an earthly off getting passed Premeriship team. We are way short of Premiership standard and so are the rest. The teams who have went up in the last few years are Hearts, Rangers and Hibs. 3 of the biggest sides in Scotland. The gap between this current Championship and the Premeirship is very big.

I doubt very much that Jack Ross will hang about this summer based on what we currently have, unless the board invest in better quality.

Edited by lenziebud

3 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

We are getting away with it because the quality of the league is junk. Whoever is in the play off from this league doesn't have an earthly off getting passed Premeriship team. We are way short of Premiership standard and so are the rest. The teams who have went up in the last few years are Hearts, Rangers and Hibs. 3 of the biggest sides in Scotland. The gap between this current Championship and the Premeirship is very big.

I doubt very much that Jack Ross will hang about this summer based on what we have

Quite possibly the stupidest post ever on this forum.  And that's saying something!

Hopefully, you are just pished.