St Mirren v Brechin Sat 24th Feb

faraway saint

34 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Can't argue with the facts, we're winning games, other teams are not.

I firmly believe the standard this year in this league is as weak as it's been for many a year.

The few games I've seen have been extremely poor/average.

There's nothing we can do but keep winning but it's reasonable to look at how we're winning.

Next season's a long way away and no real point in worrying about how we could perform in the top league.

4 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

We are getting away with it because the quality of the league is junk. Whoever is in the play off from this league doesn't have an earthly off getting passed Premeriship team. We are way short of Premiership standard and so are the rest. The teams who have went up in the last few years are Hearts, Rangers and Hibs. 3 of the biggest sides in Scotland. The gap between this current Championship and the Premeirship is very big.

I doubt very much that Jack Ross will hang about this summer based on what we have

Aye, I happen to agree. 

As for the play off, any year the team from this league is up against it as the set up is so heavily weighted for the top league team.

Too many games for the teams from our league is outrageous and puts any team at a disadvantage from the outset. 

10 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Quite possibly the stupidest post ever on this forum.  And that's saying something!

Hopefully, you are just pished.

Nope not pished, but unless the board invest over the summer , if we go up with the current squad we will be way short. I think Jack Ross will get opportunities in the summer and unless we invest I doubt he'll pass them up.

But hey its just opinions and obviously you think we are good enough.

Edited by lenziebud

41 minutes ago, Stu said:

Yeah we've been poor against them in the two home games (wasn't at the away game so can't comment). It's a St Mirren thing really, we often seem to struggle against rubbish teams regardless of our own circumstances. Perhaps sub-consciously the players know they have to be at their best against the other teams but not when it's only wee, part-time Brechin.

There's been quite a few times this season when we're decent in the first half, get a goal up, should arguably be further in front then have a poor second half and are clinging on a bit. Inverness Caley and Dunfermline immediately spring to mind. Today wasn't quite to that extent but surely our luck will eventually run out and we'll concede a costly late goal. Thankfully it wasn't today.

Morton at Ne'erday. 

A bit like last week the momentum seemed to turnaround after a key incident, today if the penalty had gone in I reckon we'd have been on Easy Street.

7 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Nope not pished, but unless the board invest over the summer , if we go up with the current squad we will be way short. I think Jack Ross will get opportunities in the summer and unless we invest I doubt he'll pass them up.

But hey its just opinions and obviously you think we are good enough.

Rather a moot point as every team that goes up would need to improve it's squad.

There's nothing to suggest Ross couldn't improve, resources allowing, our current squad but it's also fair, IMO, that he shows more tactical know how this season as many of the support suggest we have no back up plan, or "plan B" as it's become. 

Edited by faraway saint

27 minutes ago, the barrhead teacher said:

Agree Morgan was poor. Reilly did a lot of running back but received little service. As regards dropping them l would be more inclined to agree if there was evidence of players who would do better coming off the bench

Tend to think this is Reilly all over for quite a while now. So is it Gavin Reilly's form that the issue or the tactics employed ?

For me Hippolyte should have been started today. Big strong, mobile and a finisher. Gives a presence for 2 wide men to hit. Why bring him to the club when we can't start him against Brechin !. We could have partnered him with Reilly and see if it would have helped Reilly with someone to play off.

Have we improved the quality of the squad in January ?.

I was under the impression we were signing players with a view to playing in Premiership next season ?

Edited by lenziebud

Some believe we are fine playing the same players the same way every week.
Hey, we are top of the league but, as I tried to explain earlier this week, we should be looking to improve/change our players and the way we play.

There's definitely a requirement to improve areas but I don't think we should be changing a winning team without easing folk into a winning team.

Seems mad to me that we should change 2 or 3 players with guys who are yet to force their way in or at least integrate to the winning team.

29 minutes ago, Hambud said:

There's definitely a requirement to improve areas but I don't think we should be changing a winning team without easing folk into a winning team.

Seems mad to me that we should change 2 or 3 players with guys who are yet to force their way in or at least integrate to the winning team.

So how did Flynn force his way into the team or integrate ?. Didn't really see a lot from his sub appearances to merit a start up until he was benched again  today ?. Didn't really see a big problem on the right hand side.

Seeing more of an issue through a lack of creativity and a not a lot happening up front . ?

Edited by lenziebud

So how did Flynn force his way into the team or integrate ?. Didn't really see a lot from his sub appearances to merit a start up until he was benched again  today ?. Didn't really see a big problem on the right hand side.

Seeing more of an issue through a lack of creativity and a not a lot happening up front . ?

He didn't force his way into the team which is exactly my point. He seems to have got into the team because there is a want to have McGennis in the centre rather than having Flynn in the team.

Today we started with McShane in the middle and McGennis on the right. Today we won. I stand by my point.

Ps you sure you're not pished?

We dominated the first half with some decent football. And yes we did have a poor second half but Brechin usually get beat by 1 goal so we are not the only team to struggle against them. Flynn came on with 30 mins to go and imho contributed very little. Hippo came on with 15 mins to go and shat it in his first couple of attempts to win a ball. Subs need to pick up the tempo and not lower it. Baird was good in the short time he was on mostly covering for a woeful display by L Smith. But we are 11 points clear with 10 games to go. Be happy :)

34 minutes ago, Hambud said:

He didn't force his way into the team which is exactly my point. He seems to have got into the team because there is a want to have McGennis in the centre rather than having Flynn in the team.

Today we started with McShane in the middle and McGennis on the right. Today we won. I stand by my point.

Ps you sure you're not pished?

Yep today's performance really validates your point

10 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Good point and shouldn't be forgotten. 

Just want to add four things:

1 We ARE top of the League.

2 We CAN win the League.

3 We CANNOT be relegated

4 A year ago we were BOTTOM

Time to feel good about being a St Mirren Fan I think.

Tough games coming up? Yes.

Everybody wants to knock us of our Perch

Great .....bring it on, squeaky bum time as well.

Edited by St.Ricky

I think a lot of the panic is down to our lead being “cut”to 8 points on Friday night but let’s remember that this has only happened due to points picked up in games in hand. 

We’ve actually picked up more points than United and Livingston over the last 10 games, even just the last 6 games so we’ve technically stretched our lead as the table takes shape with teams catching up with games played. Even with us losing to Livingston neither team has kept up with our form and we’re still picking up more points then the chasing pack. 

There’s nothing to suggest that the form over the last 6 or 10 games will change IMO and we will run out as comfortable league winners. 

Edited by davidg

35 minutes ago, davidg said:

I think a lot of the panic is down to our lead being “cut”to 8 points on Friday night but let’s remember that this has only happened due to points picked up in games in hand. 

We’ve actually picked up more points than United and Livingston over the last 10 games, even just the last 6 games so we’ve technically stretched our lead as the table takes shape with teams catching up with games played. Even with losing to Livingston neither team has kept up with our form and we’re still picking up more points then the chasing pack. 

There’s nothing to suggest that the form over the last 6 or 10 games will change IMO and we will run out as comfortable league winners. 

Agreed, while it's more than improbable we'll collapse it's equally as improbable any of the teams below us could almost go unbeaten until the end of the season.

Frankie says RELAX. 

Edited by faraway saint

7 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Just want to add four things:

1 We ARE top of the League.

2 We CAN win the League.

3 We CANNOT be relegated

4 A year ago we were BOTTOM

Time to feel good about being a St Mitten Fan I think.

Tough games coming up? Yes.

Everybody wants to knock us of our Perch

Great .....bring it on, squeaky bum time as well.

This is spot on. Poor performance yesterday but some supporters seem to have short memories. I was very disappointed with the abuse given to some players, especially Liam Smith, who were having a bad game. The clue is in the word 'supporters'. We're supposed to be there to back the team and they need that backing more than ever when things aren't going well. The players will need us to be as positive as possible in the coming weeks to help them get over the line. By all means come on to the forum after a game and analyse it to death, but during the 90 minutes let's get right behind our team, however they are playing. Remember what these lads have achieved in the last 12 months!  COYS!!

Edited by pondsman

Win Ugly.... by f**k!

You would be hard pushed to find a better example of that phrase than the fayre served up at the 2021 yesterday.

first of all we got what we wanted.... three points

as the song goes "how did we get here... I dont know" against a team who played there best to achieve ONE shot on target in the whole game (hitting the post isnt on target) we looked like a collective, not a team but a collective who had just been introduced to the game seconds before the kick off.

the only player who seemed to stick to the postion he was given was McShane, who surely has played his last game for us now? Honking doesnt cover the lack of participation he bestowed on us, save to f**k up a penalty, and his golden moment on the edge of the box, when the whole stadium willed "shoot"... and McShane then trundled a piss poor pass straight to a Brechin player.

we really dont have a midfield. When you think how the likes of Goodwin could literally drag the younger players back into the game, and make them play... yesterday McGinn couldnt drag on a fag! It seemed that Baird was punished for Samson flooring him and subsequently gifting Livi two goals the week before?

but his sub appearance, hooking Reilly really told its own tale on the limitations of Ross's thinking. We played for time against a team who havent won a game, and only mustered one shot on goal! Way to go Jack...

we got the three points, but if Ross persists in trying to play the same way every week when it evidently isnt working, then Utd will pick up a home win come Friday night.

that said he'll most likely start that imposter McShane again!