Jack Talks Tactics

div

14 minutes ago, Drew said:

I was saying on Saturday during the game that I expect us to see a good few teams matching up against us in the weeks to come employing similar tactics.

Jack will know the score. I reckon a few people have written off John Sutton's potential contribution a little prematurely....

Time will tell.. but I don't expect JS will get very much game time... he does not have the attributes needed by us..  i.e. he is too slow, does not score many goals, not good enough ball control etc... and if he was not under contract he would have been away a year ago..

Let's see how many minutes he plays and if any, what he contributes, and then we can revisit this?

23 minutes ago, Drew said:

I was saying on Saturday during the game that I expect us to see a good few teams matching up against us in the weeks to come employing similar tactics.

Jack will know the score. I reckon a few people have written off John Sutton's potential contribution a little prematurely....

I'm not so sure on Sutton. I think one of the reasons for bringing in Hippolyte is that he gives us a more physical presence than the others we have up front, but also is quick and dynamic. I would happy to be proved wrong though - Sutton has scored some crucial goals for us, and it would be great if there was another one or two left to come.

John Sutton is, in my opinion, a true professional and a good man to have at the club but time marches on and styles if play change. John was never the quickest . He hasn't got any faster with the passing years 

Results over the season have been excellent and those have almost invariably come through our "busy" passing and movement so Jack  has ,iit appears got his decision to keep John on the bench.

As to Hipolyte, he certainly caused us bother when we played Falkirk. He is younger and more mobile than John so more likely to feature.

Watched the second part where my interpretation was he was frustrated at the attitude of most of the players when he arrived at the club. They weren't interested on high intensity training (working hard) and he couldn't wait to get rid of them. My observation was that at that time something was rotten about the club culture and Jack eludes to that. 

He explains the Aberdeen performance and how he plans to adapt to a higher league should we get there. I think there will be some very interesting times ahead and Jack and James should do us proud for not only this season but next season too.

He trusts his players and if they adapt to his ethos like Kyle Magennis did, he will back them to the hilt. If you don't like his methods you're out the door. In my mind that's exactly how a manager should motivate his players.

1 hour ago, scottd said:

If you like your teams to shell it up to a big guy up front then play for scraps then Jack is not your man, Alex Rae on the other hand.:rolleyes:

All too often this season we have shelled it to the wee guy up front - especially from Sammy's kick outs.

We are also too easily out muscled/jumped in the middle of the park and often struggle to control the midfield.

However that does not seem to overly concern JR as he does not place too much priority on possession football going by this interview.

I thought he might have tried Mark Hill to bolster up the midfield for the more physical games like last Saturday's.

I like and admire the JR energy and high press set up. God knows St mirren fans ( in the main ) have been looking for this for long enough. Honest and attractive , width and pace, hallelujah.

Play the football and it makes for an appealing watch. Love that attitude to the game.

Sadly, one problem.

This is Scottish football, we are hostage to the dire SPL where for most teams it’s an agricultural clug fest for survival. Don’t know how far Jacks tactics will get him next season, based on obviously a few sssumptipns[emoji6]

Maybe his philosophy sits better in a different league regime.

2 hours ago, scottd said:

If you like your teams to shell it up to a big guy up front then play for scraps then Jack is not your man, Alex Rae on the other hand.:rolleyes:

I certainly wasn't suggesting that we should bring Sutton on and punt high balls in his direction.

On Saturday, we lacked any physical presence in the forward area against a very big and strong defence. Sutton has always been able to hold his own against physical defenders, and would have created space for  the nippier guys. I would have sacrificed Cammy Smith. He was getting no change at all from the Livingston players, and both he and Morgan were getting increasingly frustrated.

I'm not suggesting that this should be a preferred tactic, but it should be considered in certain circumstances - the 2nd half on Saturday being the obvious example.

Hippolyte offers us another option, of course, and he was decent when he came on at the weekend, but Sutton has more experience and that could be worth a bit in during the run-in.

Drew agree mostly with your thoughts.Livi are a robust side but there are a few players in their side like Scott Robinson ex-Hearts on the small side.One of their best players is Scott Pittman who was signed from the juniors a couple of years ago a local boy whose father I think Thistle.Livi do great just to keep afloat they sell only around 750 season tickets and quite frankly David Hopkin has done an outstanding job.The players average weekly wage is around 300 to 400 pounds a week and whilst they are full time a number of players have secondary jobs.Their reserve goalie Gary Maley who is a friend of my son-in-law is part time as they can only afford one full time keeper.I am sure Jack would have learned from Saturday and whilst Livi's first and last goals were terrible errors on our part they did merit their win.As you say starting with McKenzie and Sutton could have made a difference even a point would have been welcome.

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 6:45 PM, northstbuddie said:

All too often this season we have shelled it to the wee guy up front - especially from Sammy's kick outs.

We are also too easily out muscled/jumped in the middle of the park and often struggle to control the midfield.

However that does not seem to overly concern JR as he does not place too much priority on possession football going by this interview.

I thought he might have tried Mark Hill to bolster up the midfield for the more physical games like last Saturday's.

JR's philosophy  is to win the second ball. Punt the ball up and the defender clears it. Your players are faster in mind and body to get to that ball. It has the same effect, if played well, as punting the ball and not caring if it goes out of touch in the oppositions first 25 yards. 

Jack is a fantastic manager with a great assistant in James I would give them 9/1/2 out of ten. What is needed is the bully experienced one in midfield  which looks to have been signed now. We will win the league what a party that will be need to make sure I'm up the road for it.  

On Monday, February 19, 2018 at 5:42 PM, East Lothian Saint said:

Watched the second part where my interpretation was he was frustrated at the attitude of most of the players when he arrived at the club. They weren't interested on high intensity training (working hard) and he couldn't wait to get rid of them. My observation was that at that time something was rotten about the club culture and Jack eludes to that. 

He explains the Aberdeen performance and how he plans to adapt to a higher league should we get there. I think there will be some very interesting times ahead and Jack and James should do us proud for not only this season but next season too.

He trusts his players and if they adapt to his ethos like Kyle Magennis did, he will back them to the hilt. If you don't like his methods you're out the door. In my mind that's exactly how a manager should motivate his players.

This view has my support.

The least any player should give is 100%

Whether in training or in a match.

Buy in or ship out seems fair.

To do less,let's down your teammates & fans

The huge tactical analysis that has gone on after Saturday is pretty incredible.

That was our first defeat in ten games and it came away from home against the team sitting second in the table, so the toughest possible game for us to have.

Sure its always sore to lose but let’s not get carried away here and put it in context, we’ve not suddenly become a team of wee boys who can’t compete!

We are top of the league with very good reason!

2 minutes ago, div said:

The huge tactical analysis that has gone on after Saturday is pretty incredible.

That was our first defeat in ten games and it came away from home against the team sitting second in the table, so the toughest possible game for us to have.

Sure its always sore to lose but let’s not get carried away here and put it in context, we’ve not suddenly become a team of wee boys who can’t compete!

The lads on the Forum love a right good tactical analysis.. :snore

AND NOW YOU'RE GONNAE BELIEVE US

WE'RE GONNAE WIN THE LEAGUE :clapping

No doubt about it.

7 hours ago, div said:

Spot on.

As I recall the Celtic Invincibles suffered a similar defeat to end their long winning run of games. One win doesn't make a season, nor does one loss break it. I'm my book we made two defensive errors  (this happens to the best...ask Man City and Spurs). If the other two goals scored by Livvy had been scored by Saint's players then I would have said they were very well taken by the strikers. 

Well done Livvy.

Please repeat that form in most of your remaining games. It's the least we can ask as well as the most.

COYS 

4 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Spot on.

As I recall the Celtic Invincibles suffered a similar defeat to end their long winning run of games. One win doesn't make a season, nor does one loss break it. I'm my book we made two defensive errors  (this happens to the best...ask Man City and Spurs). If the other two goals scored by Livvy had been scored by Saint's players then I would have said they were very well taken by the strikers. 

Well done Livvy.

Please repeat that form in most of your remaining games. It's the least we can ask as well as the most.

COYS 

I would rather they didn't repeat their great form in most of their remaining games, especially if we go on a slump. 

1 hour ago, shull said:

I would rather they didn't repeat their great form in most of their remaining games, especially if we go on a slump. 

Not like you to be faint hearted Schull

But

You are right - First and foremost, we have to keep our own form going.

Then Livvy can do us a favour or two by taking points off rivals on the run in.

9 hours ago, shull said:

The lads on the Forum love a right good tactical analysis.. :snore

AND NOW YOU'RE GONNAE BELIEVE US

WE'RE GONNAE WIN THE LEAGUE :clapping

No doubt about it.

1 hour ago, shull said:

What  slump.