Massimo Donati

Just now, scottd said:

Donati’s age relative to Jim Goodwin has no relevance as far as I can see, Andy Millen was still playing in the top league when over 40.

Perhaps you are reading too much into my post Scott, I merely said it was Ironic we end up with an older version of what some of us feel we lack. I am sure Massimo will become a legend.... lets face it by definition he has a head start over his colleagues!

and news of him making his mark on a contract has already generated excitement amongst some of the support.

IMG_1606.JPG

I'm surprised as everyone else at this signing. The only reason i can see him been brought in, is to possibly add help on the coaching side, though be ready to be called upon once needed. He was highly regarded at Hamilton in his coaching role, though only left the club (had 18 months left on his contract) to help ease the pressure on club finances after they were bumped in that scam.

3 minutes ago, kevo_smfc said:

I'm surprised as everyone else at this signing. The only reason i can see him been brought in, is to possibly add help on the coaching side, though be ready to be called upon once needed. He was highly regarded at Hamilton in his coaching role, though only left the club (had 18 months left on his contract) to help ease the pressure on club finances after they were bumped in that scam.

It's been mentioned he has been training with us. Bit of steel is no bad thing if fit why not. 

The way we were bullied on Saturday there's maybe a case for Magennis playing wide again with Donati coming in to play the Goodwin role , might need that option from time to time to get over the line ! I'm not singling out Ryan Flynn but I think I would have McShane back in the side for the two home games coming up , he'll know that he needs to perform or he'll be back on the bench !

Edited by billyg

Agree with bringing back McShane. I don't reckon he did anything wrong to be dropped. Magennis is a fighter in the middle of the park but possibly stays up the park too long to support the forwards leaving us a wee bit more exposed in midfield. And so far Flynn hasn't done any more than Magennis is doing to warrant an automatic pick. We had a starting 11 that was winning week in and week out. I'd stick to that until there are injuries, suspension or a loss of form And I know that everyone had a loss of form last Saturday. Let Flynn, Hippolyte and Mullen earn their place in the team. Hopefully they can all get game time when we are in a commanding lead in a game.

Can't think of any other Italians that have pulled on the famous black and white stripes. I'm sure there must 

be , just middle age memory loss.

Should be a good signing to have about place. A wealth of experience might help in the run in.

Edited by munoz

Hill has never started a first team League game in his life. The guy seems to be well thought of but has absolutely no first team experience. At this stage of the season I would only be playing Hill if the shit hits the fan and we need backup or are desperate.

48 minutes ago, billyg said:

The way we were bullied on Saturday there's maybe a case for Magennis playing wide again with Donati coming in to play the Goodwin role , might need that option from time to time to get over the line ! I'm not singling out Ryan Flynn but I think I would have McShane back in the side for the two home games coming up , he'll know that he needs to perform or he'll be back on the bench !

Spot on, although I think McShane can feel a bit aggrieved for being out of the team in the first place. Donati will add that bit of experience and steel, as well as being a big guy physically. He mentioned in his interview that we have a lot of young players - he's keen to play and help them along.

Very happy with this signing - loads of competition for midfield places now, after having almost none for most of the season. Up to Jack to make the right decisions...

51 minutes ago, billyg said:

The way we were bullied on Saturday there's maybe a case for Magennis playing wide again with Donati coming in to play the Goodwin role , 

100% agree with this. I've never been totally on board with the clamour to get Magennis playing down the middle, tbh. Games, especially those away to our nearest rivals, will be about keeping it tight and playing smart. 

We've got enough up front to get away with two deeper midfielders.

Guest TPAFKATS
Yip get all that, cant help but see the irony in a lot of us calling for a naturally defensive midfielder/enforcer in the Goodwin mould, and then sign someone older than Goody!

lets see your style Massimo.

Seriously???

While this signing fills me with a general feeling of MEH, your post is poor, poor fishing at best. Deranged at worst.

On paper this looks a good bit of business.

There is nothing wrong in bringing in a bit of experience into the dressing room at this stage in the season. If he can sit in, in front of the back three and break up play then that might have worked reasonably well on Saturday.

Don't have any issues with this signing.