St Mirren v Falkirk 17/4/2018 (defo)

Lord Pityme

1 minute ago, Lord Pityme said:

I can just hear the laughter on the other end of the phone if the call the SPfl to ask for a re, re-schedule.

Thing is , we would get another re-schedule , the main worry is that Magennis isn't selected and we end up without Smith and Morgan who have both been regulars in the U21s !

12 minutes ago, farmer john said:

maybe it wasnt a mistake by the club, maybe the shift was to get rid of the 2 games in 4 days scenario.
Maybe they were thinking way ahead of us.

Hmmm? Its the fact we may have to face a resurgent Falkirk without two of our first choice players that is the concern. Or indeed if three are called up, but the club feel embarrassed to ask for a re-schedule again. With no Premiership games that weekend perhaps Gemmill is going to fill his squad with there U21 stars?

35 minutes ago, farmer john said:

maybe it wasnt a mistake by the club, maybe the shift was to get rid of the 2 games in 4 days scenario.
Maybe they were thinking way ahead of us.

Doesn’t look like it.  We either play a vital game without some important players or we ask the SPFL for a postponement when the time comes and look like right lemons.

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

Hmmm? Its the fact we may have to face a resurgent Falkirk without two of our first choice players that is the concern. Or indeed if three are called up, but the club feel embarrassed to ask for a re-schedule again. With no Premiership games that weekend perhaps Gemmill is going to fill his squad with there U21 stars?

Seriously is there any stick you will not use to beat the club you claim to support !

If 3 or more are called up the rules are clear we can ask for a postponment whether the match has been originally rescheduled or not- nothing to be embarrassed about. What delicate little flowers some people are, too embarrassed to request something we are perfectly entitled to. Thankfully I am 100% sure the club will not be afflicted by such bashfulness  !

24 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Seriously is there any stick you will not use to beat the club you claim to support !

If 3 or more are called up the rules are clear we can ask for a postponment whether the match has been originally rescheduled or not- nothing to be embarrassed about. What delicate little flowers some people are, too embarrassed to request something we are perfectly entitled to. Thankfully I am 100% sure the club will not be afflicted by such bashfulness  !

Its just an opinion.... but perhaps your obsessive trolling of me is leading you to read into stuff that just aint there..?

like i say, only an opinion... troll on.

31 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

The problem is if only 2 are called up then we have no right to ask for a postponement and the game will have to be played like it or not.

https://www.stmirren.com/news/club/club-news/1609-statement-on-falkirk-fixture-re-arrangement

The Club would like to address the decision to rearrange our match with Falkirk from its scheduled Tuesday 27th February date to Saturday 24th March. 

The team were due to face Dumbarton in a Ladbrokes Championship fixture on Saturday 24th March. However, Dumbarton's win over The New Saints last Saturday saw them reach the final of the IRN-BRU Cup meaning that match would have to be rearranged. Falkirk were due to face Inverness Caledonian Thistle the same day, but as Inverness also made the final it too would have to be rearranged. This would have left ourselves and Falkirk with a free weekend. 

The Club discussed the potential for moving the match and came to an agreement with Falkirk to move the match from Tuesday 27th February to Saturday 24th March. This was approved yesterday by the SPFL. 

We understand the frustration and disappointment this fixture change has caused some supporters. However, we can assure supporters that this decision wasn't taken lightly. 

The team are due to play Brechin City this Saturday (24th February) and Dundee United a week on Friday (2nd March). The decision taken means the players won't now face three matches in six days. 

We would like to apologise to any supporters who have been inconvenienced by the fixture change, but hope they can understand the reason behind the decision.

Tickets purchased for the Falkirk match will be valid for the rearranged date. If anyone is unable to attend they can contact the ticket office at 0141-840-6130 or email [email protected] for a refund. 

Anyone who had booked hospitality for the Falkirk match is advised to contact Commercial Manager, Campbell Kennedy on 0141-840-1337 or email [email protected]

Edited by Eric Arthur Blair

We'd have been in the same internaltion call up position if we still had the Dumbarton game on.

The switch works for me as it is one less near midnight arrival home for the wee man on a school night.

I think the clubs (St Mirren/Falkirk) showed a bit of quick thinking to grab the opportunity of the free Saturday, but - like any change - its going to upset some people who had plans

The club were on a hiding to nothing on this one. 

21 hours ago, southsidebud said:

We'd have been in the same internaltion call up position if we still had the Dumbarton game on.

The switch works for me as it is one less near midnight arrival home for the wee man on a school night.

I think the clubs (St Mirren/Falkirk) showed a bit of quick thinking to grab the opportunity of the free Saturday, but - like any change - its going to upset some people who had plans

The club were on a hiding to nothing on this one. 

Same would of course applied for the Dumbarton game, but this switch now raises the potential for us to be two games behind the rest going into the last few weeks of the season.

It's always said it's better to have played games and have the points on the board. Three games in seven days is a normal schedule for many teams so the game should have gone ahead next week.

If we end up with two games off, we'll have two tough midweek games in the last few weeks of the season rather than weekly games. It's also likely there's a higher risk of suspensions and injuries by the time those rearranged games would come around.