what players to take off other championship teams

Not sure we need O'ware if we retain the other 3 centre backs, but I rate him - prefer Durnan at Utd or Halkett at Livi though.. but O'ware is really decent..

Cadden not one I think is good enough for the Premiership.

Polworth not a bad shout.

I would prefer Sibbald..

I think we need a better right back  (I know I will get slated for this but Smith is great most weeks, then costs us a goal or 2 every now and then - like last week)

I would go for Williamson at Dunfermline

I don't think that many others are a big enough improvement to what we have already... 

I think we need to look for better players than the championship has to offer too...

I think there will be a good number of in's and outs...

I'm not sure there is much to be honest. I think we'd be looking to put better players in across the spine of the team, so we'd be looking at a goalie, centre back, centre mid and a striker. We also need a replacement for Morgan and I think we'd also be looking for a new left back as I think Eckersley will probably be more of a backup next year. I can't actually think of anyone in this league who is better than what we already have in those positions apart from maybe Dobbie, who won't come. We could maybe get Fyvie from Dundee United if he's fit again, but I can't think of anyone else from them. Sibbald can maybe do a job at a higher level, but he's been poking around this league for a while now, and I think that guy Williamson from Dunfermline will probably go to a bigger team than us.

24 minutes ago, norman said:

I'm not sure there is much to be honest. I think we'd be looking to put better players in across the spine of the team, so we'd be looking at a goalie, centre back, centre mid and a striker. We also need a replacement for Morgan and I think we'd also be looking for a new left back as I think Eckersley will probably be more of a backup next year. I can't actually think of anyone in this league who is better than what we already have in those positions apart from maybe Dobbie, who won't come. We could maybe get Fyvie from Dundee United if he's fit again, but I can't think of anyone else from them. Sibbald can maybe do a job at a higher level, but he's been poking around this league for a while now, and I think that guy Williamson from Dunfermline will probably go to a bigger team than us.

If Hippolyte can do the business in the run in , I think in JRs mind , he is the long-term replacement for Morgan !

18 minutes ago, billyg said:

If Hippolyte can do the business in the run in , I think in JRs mind , he is the long-term replacement for Morgan !

Maybe. I think with Hippolyte everyone knows he can do a job, but I guess consistency has been his issue. Also, he doesn't really strike me as the type ready to get stick in and dig it out in a relegation battle, which is what we will be in next season if we get promoted. Still, it's probably make it break time for him to determine where the rest of his career lies, so hopefully he steps it up a level.

1 hour ago, norman said:

Maybe. I think with Hippolyte everyone knows he can do a job, but I guess consistency has been his issue. Also, he doesn't really strike me as the type ready to get stick in and dig it out in a relegation battle, which is what we will be in next season if we get promoted. Still, it's probably make it break time for him to determine where the rest of his career lies, so hopefully he steps it up a level.

While I think this thread is premature, I'll dive in. 

The last few teams to be promoted DIDN'T end up in a relegation battle. Quite the contrary. They challenged at the top end.

Given the belief we have in our management team and the backing they got from the new board, what makes you think it a certainty that we would be strugglers

This thread is a sure fire jinx but I'll stick my oar in anyway ...

Fraser Fyvie is out of contract at the end of the season and would be a magnificent signing if we tempt him in.

His injury certainly seems to have been the catalyst for the Arabs capitulation as they've only managed one win since then, and most of their fans had him down as their best player prior to that. He'll obviously be coming off the back of a serious injury and won't have played in 6 months, but he's still only 24 and has the ability and drive to completely boss a midfield.  A midfield with him, Magennis and McGinn certainly wouldn't be bullied (whilst also being very talented). 

We'd be facing competition certainly, but perhaps not from United as you'd think they'd have to reduce their budget further if they don't make it up

Edited by the digger

Should we gain promotion (note the caution ) then I think we might need to look outside the Championship with the possible exception of the names already mentioned.  Jason Naismith I agree. The stand out for me might be Dobbie. Having said that, retaining Reilly might be a good starting point. 

10 hours ago, stlucifer said:

The last few teams to be promoted DIDN'T end up in a relegation battle. Quite the contrary. They challenged at the top end.

Given the belief we have in our management team and the backing they got from the new board, what makes you think it a certainty that we would be strugglers

Finance is the main factor... Rangers and Hibs spent heavily and signed much better players on much bigger budgets

48 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Finance is the main factor... Rangers and Hibs spent heavily and signed much better players on much bigger budgets

Yes. But what about Ross County, first season, 5th, Partick Thistle, first season 10th, Dundee, first season, 6th and Hearts, first season, 3rd?

14 hours ago, stlucifer said:

The last few teams to get promoted were Hearts, Rangers and Hibs. It's a bit different.

7 hours ago, norman said:

The last few teams to get promoted were Hearts, Rangers and Hibs. It's a bit different.

10 hours ago, stlucifer said:

Yes. But what about Ross County, first season, 5th, Partick Thistle, first season 10th, Dundee, first season, 6th and Hearts, first season, 3rd?

Two out of the other three did ok.

Edited by stlucifer

On ‎25‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 8:23 AM, stlucifer said:

what about Ross County, first season, 5th, Partick Thistle, first season 10th, Dundee, first season 6th

Two out of the other three did ok.

I think from memory that Ross County and Dundee did well when other teams were a lot poorer than they are now - Thistle, Hamilton, Killie etc (and other decent teams were missing - Hibs, Hearts, **** etc. - but they are all back up there with bigger budgets and much better teams)

Thistle struggled and still are despite having had a suitor pouring money in - they Dundee,  Ross County , and Hamilton are not doing so great currently.

Killie and Motherwell have kicked on, while St. Johnstone are not flying as high.

Assuming Ross County come down or Thistle how many of those left are going to be worse than we are?  None of us know the answer to this, but I think that  we have lost against all Premiership opposition in the last few of years, except 1 game against Dundee... the standard is much higher than the Championship.

It is therefore dangerous to presume we might be better because we are winning lots against Championship teams - and there is no guarantee that we will get enough quality new recruits, who will fit well and keep fit - though J & J 's record is fabulous so far.  Look at who we have signed for next season (I like Flynn, but he is not yet showing what we hope yet, Mullen isn't either yet and Morgan will likely be away etc...

Next season we need at least as big a positive step change as we did from Jack's 1st transfer window.. I am cautiously optimistic..

A first season back bounce would be nice, but we need to continually improve if we can remain there consistently and not be playing the relegation struggle year after year...

I love the Saints, but do like winning and competing for prizes too...

Edited by Sweeper07