Crossing the ethical line

Bud the Baker

Guilty as a Russian?

Sir Bradley Wiggins and Team Sky "crossed an ethical line" by using drugs allowed under anti-doping rules to enhance performance instead of just for medical need, a report by MPs says.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/43280081

Meanwhile the Chris Froome saga festers with him still racing competitively!

Edit - Douplepluswow, Mr. Clean accused of being Slim Shady! :o

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/43281273

Lord Coe gave 'misleading' answers over doping allegations, says DCMS report

Cans and cans of worms just waiting to be opened? 

Is the following statement believable?

Coe told Panorama he had not opened the attachments and had simply forwarded the email on to the IAAF's ethics committee. As a result he claims he had not been aware of the detail of the corruption allegations and therefore had not misled parliament.

The committee said it was "shocked" that former UKA chief medical officer Dr Robin Chakraverty gave an injection of L-carnitine to Sir Mo Farah before the 2014 London Marathon but did not record the dose on the four-time Olympic champion's medical records.

Thats the last time I eat Quorn!

Edited by Bud the Baker

The question is, are we OK to continue to plough millions of public pounds into elite sports programmes?  Given that the social balance of our top-line athletes is out of whack, what does the country actually gain?  For every "Alf Tupper" (really showing my age there) at the elite level (except boxing) there are a half dozen middle class kids queuing up for the inhalers and injections.

If excellence is as much due to the lab and the pockets of parents (at least in the early careers) as it is to talent and dedication, are we really encouraging more people to be healthy and participate at grass roots?

Guest TPAFKATS

Politicians are surprised that elite athletes would push every advantage within the rules. Really?
A lot of fuss and news coverage for what in reality amounts to less sporting controversy than rio ferdinand missing a drugs test or kolo toure getting banned for using diet pills.

If they ban the 'Tour de Farce' regular cycle race fans can simulate the action quite easily at home. Get the whole family sitting on the couch and give them each a pill bottle to rattle.... trust me its like you're actually there!

how many more of these cycling cheats does it take to be shamed before all sponsors start putting an end to the "Pharmacy Peddlers"

15 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Politicians are surprised that elite athletes would push every advantage within the rules. Really?
A lot of fuss and news coverage for what in reality amounts to less sporting controversy than rio ferdinand missing a drugs test or kolo toure getting banned for using diet pills.

Only the " British- English " media could slag off their own................

Team Sky are winners- and they will do all they can in the bending dept but they wont break unlike the Ruskies

As for our Politian's- Plank...... Eye... springs to mind

Athletic performance
Some athletes take carnitine to improve performance. However, twenty years of research finds no consistent evidence that carnitine supplements can improve exercise or physical performance in healthy subjects—at doses ranging from 2–6 grams/day administered for 1 to 28 days [9-11]. (The total body content of carnitine is about 20 grams in a man weighing 155 pounds, almost all of it in the skeletal muscle [11].) For example, carnitine supplements do not appear to increase the body’s use of oxygen or improve metabolic status when exercising, nor do they necessarily increase the amount of carnitine in muscle [10].

It is said to be as effective as caffeine.

I find it so sad that accusations can be made, where people can be accused of things they have never done which are then regarded as facts. I strongly refute the claim that any drug was used without medical need. I hope to have my say in the next few days & put my side across.

•  

I presume the report is covered by parliamentary privilege and therefore the authors cant be sued.

It might have been more fun if SirWiggo had been able to go to the "Court of Public Opinion" to see who was believed - would he have chanced it?

•  

Edited by Bud the Baker

Exactly who's 'ethical line' has been crossed here?    Isn't the point about ethics that it refers to one's personal moral boundaries or principles so that  one person's so-called 'ethical line' is by definition not necessarily drawn in the same place as anyone else's?   And what business is that of anyone else? Law, on the other hand,offers absolute lines that (should) apply to us all. I'm no fan of Wiggo or indeed of a lot of professional sport in general, but if a rule or law was broken that's a different matter from whether an individual has followed a particular course of action in a given situation.  

Edited by Barney63

10 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

Wiggo complaining that he would've had a better time of it if he'd been accused of murder emoji23.png

The Select Committee have basically said they don't believe the Sky/Wiggo version of events and like I said above they're covered by parliamentary privilege.

Like Armstrong before him Wiggo has two options say nothing or play the drama queen.

Guest TPAFKATS
The Select Committee have basically said they don't believe the Sky/Wiggo version of events and like I said above they're covered by parliamentary privilege.
Like Armstrong before him Wiggo has two options say nothing or play the drama queen.
The whole thing is a bit of a farce.
mps hear evidence and judge that elite athletes are unethical by gaining every sporting advantage without breaking any rules.
The same elite athletes who they dish out government funding to and expect medals for team gb in return.
In this case also the same athlete who they then give their support to when her maj is doling out knighthoods.

The amount of coverage given to what is in reality a minor story makes me wonder whats being covered up.

8 minutes ago, rabuddies said:

What I find odd about this investigation is that 40% of professional cyclists have asthma compared to only 7.5
% of the rest of us. This needs urgent medical investigation ad cycling must be bad for you!

A lot of athletes also have asthma, overall sport is bad for you.

Edited by faraway saint

When Sir Drugley Wiggins was called to give evidence over "that jiffy bag" he asked, as was given permission to do so in song.....

"its on its way...!

its on its way...!

that wee jiffy bag is on its way..!

where did it come from?

I dont know.?

whats in the vials..?

I dont care...

all I know is..... wow loook at those colours...wow loooook at how fast i can go... yeeeee-haaaaa! 

Guest TPAFKATS
A lot of athletes also have asthma, overall sport is bad for you.

I think it's wonderful that so many asthmatic folk have got to the top in Athletics, Cycling, Rowing, Rugby, Swimming,Tennis...

Not aware of many of them breaking the rules either. Sharapova once?

43 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

When Sir Drugley Wiggins was called to give evidence over "that jiffy bag" he asked, as was given permission to do so in song.....

"its on its way...!

its on its way...!

that wee jiffy bag is on its way..!

where did it come from?

I dont know.?

whats in the vials..?

I dont care...

all I know is..... wow loook at those colours...wow loooook at how fast i can go... yeeeee-haaaaa! 

I suppose that must have seemed worthwhile in your head.........................alas.