Summer Transfer Window

Sweeper07

Goodwillie has been on fire at Clyde this Season. 
He fancies another shot at a higher level. 
Could be a sensation for us in the SPFL Premiership. 
Worth a punt ? 

I don’t know that the club would want to associate with him, in light of his past indiscretions. Not to mention the fact that he was the subject of a civil claim that, iirc he had difficulty paying.

4 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Agree. We have good individuals who have proven themselves at this level but i think there may be half a dozen additions needed to become a Premiership squad.   

So much depends on who leaves but given how J & J have already gone about thei business since arriving  i would imagine they are already having discussions with a few targets.

eta, wouldnt be surprised if some of this seasons first picks may have to be happy with squad status next year.

Hard to disagree that we will continue to step up the quality of player within the squad but first comes the question of retaining those the management team feel can make to adjustment.  It is a hard fact of football life that those who have played vital roles in getting us to this point may be jettisoned.  My thanks go to each and every player this year for giving us a memorable season. Well done guys.

Get real - any less than 10 - new additions to the current squad is lunacy...

Take a look at who won't be here next year :-

Irvine, Morgan, Sutton, Kirkpatrick, Flanagan, Whyte, Duffy, Hill, Donati

Probably nots :-

Todd, Liam Smith,

No guarantees :-

Reilly, Stelios, Ross Stewart (f)

A squad fit for the Premiership - will need to be on a whole different level to the last year...

J & J know this...

1 hour ago, Sweeper07 said:

Get real - any less than 10 - new additions to the current squad is lunacy...

Take a look at who won't be here next year :-

Irvine, Morgan, Sutton, Kirkpatrick, Flanagan, Whyte, Duffy, Hill, Donati

Probably nots :-

Todd, Liam Smith,

No guarantees :-

Reilly, Stelios, Ross Stewart (f)

A squad fit for the Premiership - will need to be on a whole different level to the last year...

J & J know this...

Depending on who we get the opportune to retain , I reckon we need to get between three and six new signings , I also think we will play as more containing , and the players WD bring in , will be hardworking as and fit .

11 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

St Mirren will pick up around £470, 450 for the title less than half bottom six premiership clubs will pick up so transfer kitty will not be big unless of course Hibs get what they want for McGinn then one million could come our way. 

Yeah , I thought it was more than that. Had a quick look but can't find any info.

12 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

if you look at STV Premiership money further down the artical championship is mentioned.  

Yeah just seen it -£474450. Not a great amount. As you said , lets hope Hibs sell McGinn for £5m plus. 

1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

St Mirren will pick up around £470, 450 for the title less than half bottom six premiership clubs will pick up so transfer kitty will not be big unless of course Hibs get what they want for McGinn then one million could come our way. 

Still , we know we are in line for a decent amount of money next , as and worse case scenario ,if we are relegated , we are due parachute payments . Most important though is to spend the money wisely , no room for mistakes 

30 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Still , we know we are in line for a decent amount of money next , as and worse case scenario ,if we are relegated , we are due parachute payments . Most important though is to spend the money wisely , no room for mistakes 

While I'm not one that believes the manager can do no wrong I think his spending has been, overall,  very wise.

That should see us do pretty well with new faces for next season.  

20 hours ago, munoz said:

Yeah just seen it -£474450. Not a great amount. As you said , lets hope Hibs sell McGinn for £5m plus. 

I don't think almost half a million should be sniffed at considering how well our financies  are usually taken care of . However , l do think getting over £5m for McGinn could be a bit over optomistic but nevertheless , we do all love an optomist. .

What we need in my opinion, after a very brief consideration.:

A right back if Smith goes back to Hearts, probably two if Irvine leaves, as he looks likely to.

At least one central defender - two if Mackenzie leaves (I think Davis will still be here).

We'll need a bit more bite in midfield, as we have done at points this season . We're a good footballing side, but have suffered from being dominated physically on occasion this season. Possibly a couple of centre mids in, as I think we'll be playing a slightly more defensive style, counterattacking.

We need to try to replace Morgan. Hippolyte and Flynn have been brought in, but Flynn looks more use central, and Hippolyte isn't a certainty to succeed in the Premiership.

A proven goalscorer at a higher level. Reilly has almost always scored goals at Championship level, while Mullen is untested at the highest level and Smith is not a prolific scorer as good a player as he is.

We may also need another keeper. Samson has done well this season, but if we could upgrade on him, I'd be delighted. If not, we will need better cover than Stewart, who is pretty much untested above League 1 level.

So I would say 9 or 10 to come in, and possibly more to give us better strength in depth.

1 minute ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Has never stood out for me with limited games on TV unlike his two brothers. What's his position left mid , left wing back ? 

He started out as a left back but since I haven't seen him recently I do not know if he moved a bit further forward.  He was in the Championship team of the year in 13-14 then had two good seasons at Dundee where he played regularly and was highly rated then moved to Chesterfield then PT. Maybe not as good as his brothers but an experienced pro who has an affection for the Club. I think Stephen surpassed most Buddies' expectations when he re-signed for us and hopefully Paul can too (if he signs). Maybe not a marquee signing but solid (at least he was).