Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Sweeper07

Summer Transfer Window

Recommended Posts


But speaking generally we need to overhaul the squad or we’ll come straight down.

 

Another GK (at least to provide meaningful competition), RB, CB, DM (tough tackling Goodwin type), LW, and at least one CF.

 

Poss starting line-up: Samson/new GK; new RB (Naismith?), Davis (if he stays), new CB, Eckersley; McGinn, new DM; Flynn, Smith, new LW; CF

 

Subs: Samson, Baird, Magennis, Mullen, Reilly, 2 others.

Magennis on the bench??

 

Dont do drugs kids. This is what it does to you.

 

 

Edit - Magennis will be next seasons McLean, mcginn, Mallan, morgan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jack has used a nucleolus of about 15 players this season, most variations have been down to injury or upfront................

I think we need around 4 players , we need to tighten up at the back, so I agree another CH and a DM, or McGinn could drop back. We need cover at Left Back , and Goalie, and I would go for another experienced AM . Upfront we are fine................. I can see Smith , Mullen and Reilly getting us goals.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jack has used a nucleolus of about 15 players this season, most variations have been down to injury or upfront................
I think we need around 4 players , we need to tighten up at the back, so I agree another CH and a DM, or McGinn could drop back. We need cover at Left Back , and Goalie, and I would go for another experienced AM . Upfront we are fine................. I can see Smith , Mullen and Reilly getting us goals.  

Need someone like Sutton first time round up front without doubt IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Jack has used a nucleolus of about 15 players this season, most variations have been down to injury or upfront................

I think we need around 4 players , we need to tighten up at the back, so I agree another CH and a DM, or McGinn could drop back. We need cover at Left Back , and Goalie, and I would go for another experienced AM . Upfront we are fine................. I can see Smith , Mullen and Reilly getting us goals.  

So you think we need about 4 players - what about all the other squad players who won't be here after the summer - won't Jack fill their slots?

There will be at least 10 new players coming in... look back at my previous posts and tell me who will be staying? (Spaces created by the leavers will be filled)

Edited by Sweeper07

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

 

  • Ball Boy
  •  
  • LargsBud
  • Saints
  • 20
  • 15 posts

4 or 5 you are not thinking straight.    :-

1st - out of these - Irvine, Morgan, Sutton, Kirkpatrick, Flanagan, Whyte, Duffy, Hill, Donati : only Morgan played regularly and he will be away so that is 9 (listed as being part of our current 1st team squad) for starters.

Add in guys like Todd, Stewart x2 and Stelios and we will be in double figures even before some of our guys sign on elsewhere (They may not but chances are someone will want one of our guys to bolster their squad - and several will be out of contract)

At previous transfer windows J & J have not held back - January this year was their gentlest yet - but the Premiership is a whole different ball game and we will have a budget about £1,000,000 higher - you think they will sit on that for a rainy day?

Most of the guys you have mentioned literally haven't kicked a ball for us this season so what does it matter if they go or not?

Morgan and Stelios leaving to be replaced with 5 high quality players would be an adequate improvement on the squad. I'm assuming in that we'll be able to sign Liam Smith on top of that. Maybe wishful thinking tbh. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Mid Calder Saint said:

Thoroughly agree with DREW do we simply forget that our players read this forum.We have an excellent squad just now who are doing a fantastic job let's get behind them and focus on the job on hand.All clubs that get promoted will tweak the squad to suit but plenty of time in the future for debate.Just my view.

We do for the Championship - but the 2 Premiership teams we played beat us 5  v 0 and   4   v   1 during the season..

Take a look at who is currently in our squad and what they have contributed - the rest were not really used at Championship level - so why would they suddenly be good enough for Premiership level  (younger prospects excluding - if J & J think they have what it takes) Add in those who are out of contract...

There will be at least 10 new additions to our squad and it will be necessary to survive in the Premiership - as will different ways of playing.. i.e. more than 1 system...

Team and management have been fab... but we do not want to fall on our faces and back down after 1 season... speculating to accumulate is essential.....

 

ANd by th eway - the job this season is done bar the shouting - 1 more win on Saturday and Livi draw or defeat and the fat lady sings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, LargsBud said:

Most of the guys you have mentioned literally haven't kicked a ball for us this season so what does it matter if they go or not?  (THEY WILL BE GOING)

Morgan and Stelios leaving to be replaced with 5 high quality players would be an adequate improvement on the squad. I'm assuming in that we'll be able to sign Liam Smith on top of that. Maybe wishful thinking tbh. 

So most of the guys I mentioned have not contributed - so what was the point of them being in our squad and why would we not want to replace them with ones who might contribute much more at a higher level?

Jack signed who he could afford budget wise - but next season we are playing in a whole different realm financially. We will need to spend well on much better players or we won't compete. We played thistle and Aberdeen during this season and were thumped in both games result wise - are we now so good that we can suddenly beat Premiership teams with the same squad????

Did Hibs, Rangers and others not add a sizable number when they went up? (I think you will find that they definitely did) [Take off the rose tinted glasses]

Standards rise and they will too at St. Mirren - they must - we do not want to do a Brechin...

Edited by Sweeper07

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

So you think we need about 4 players - what about all the other squad players who won't be here after the summer - won't Jack fill their slots?

There will be at least 10 new players coming in... look back at my previous posts and tell me who will be staying? (Spaces created by the leavers will be filled)

I am not the manager mate, but maybe your right re the squad, however I reckon we need 4 in our 1st XI................

Remember this is a winning team, its a winning shape, and whilst the Premiership is clearly a higher standard I still think Jack likes to tinker with the front 4 idea. 

In Jack I trust, he has got 2 groups of 10 before, one saved us, the other promoted us, so maybe 10 or so again...............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All due respect to the squad that has got us to the brink of the title, and very much looking forward to celebrating their brilliance this season. However, it is clear that investment will be needed in the playing squad if we are to be competitive in the Premiership.

Already been mentioned about the number of squad players who will be on their way in the summer, having struggled to get game time this season. The way to improve is to replace them with players who will be of a quality to play in the first team, rather than just fill out the squad. 

My mind is fully on enjoying the rest of this season, but Jack and James will have their sights set on improving the squad to make us a force to be reckoned with for next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Soctty said:

All due respect to the squad that has got us to the brink of the title, and very much looking forward to celebrating their brilliance this season. However, it is clear that investment will be needed in the playing squad if we are to be competitive in the Premiership.

Already been mentioned about the number of squad players who will be on their way in the summer, having struggled to get game time this season. The way to improve is to replace them with players who will be of a quality to play in the first team, rather than just fill out the squad. 

My mind is fully on enjoying the rest of this season, but Jack and James will have their sights set on improving the squad to make us a force to be reckoned with for next season.

Indeed.

Look at last season, the run of form we produced and under severe pressure, outstanding.

Did we stick with that squad?

More important next season as, the top league isn't exactly La Liga, there is a step up and we'll need to match this.

One thing I'm confident of is the manager track record in spotting players should ensure we're competing and the main aim is to stay up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, faraway saint said:

Indeed.

Look at last season, the run of form we produced and under severe pressure, outstanding.

Did we stick with that squad?

More important next season as, the top league isn't exactly La Liga, there is a step up and we'll need to match this.

One thing I'm confident of is the manager track record in spotting players should ensure we're competing and the main aim is to stay up.

Spot on re the manager spotting players. Almost every signing has been a success to some degree, with the few that weren't being brought in as squad players anyway.

Teams should always be looking to improve, never stand still because all the others won't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No need to worry on this front Jack and back room 

will have a list off players he wants 

and a list surplus to requirements

this manager seems to plan well in advance for every stage or out come 

 

enjoy while we have him ,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our Jack clearly has 2 major skills ..................... he can spot a player, and he can develop a player....... coaching team take a bow also..............

Wonder what is going thru our bosses mind, as we will beat Brechin and no doubt in the next few weeks we will be confirmed as Champions and a top flight slot.

I am sure no one is under any illusions, however lets not forget. The Championship is tough. It has 8 teams that can cut each others throats, its a far more level playing field metaphorically .

We started off this season with a hopeful belief of top 4, after losing 4-1 to Ton that was looking like a pipe dream, then we went mental apart from a couple of slip ups, we kept winning .

Jack believed last season we would not go down, somehow we didn't...................

Jack believed this season we would be Champions- we will be

Wonder what Jack thinks about next season- 10th = success, or carry on the legacy and get us our highest finish for 30 plus years.................

Really hope we keep this talent for at least another year. He is our success- end of

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Our Jack clearly has 2 major skills ..................... he can spot a player, and he can develop a player....... coaching team take a bow also.I am sure no one is under any illusions, however lets not forget. The Championship is tough. It has 8 teams that can cut each others throats, its a far more level playing field metaphorically . We started off this season with a hopeful belief of top 4, after losing 4-1 to Ton that was looking like a pipe dream, then we went mental apart from a couple of slip ups, we kept winning .Jack believed last season we would not go down, somehow we didn't...................Jack believed this season we would be Champions- we will be. Wonder what Jack thinks about next season- 10th = success, or carry on the legacy and get us our highest finish for 30 plus years. Really hope we keep this talent for at least another year. He is our success- end of.

Good post. Implicit in your post is  his ability to work with the rest of the management and coaching team but don't forget the impact of the Chairman, Board and CEO (And SMISA) This has been a real team effort into which we, as supporters, have also bought and played our part. Looking forward there are some tough decisions to be made which will see a number of fringe players move on.  Tough on some, no doubt, but part and parcel of football. Target for next season for me would be to get us to be competing as the best of the rest outside Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs - the teams I expect to fill 5 of the top six places.  If not then our highest finish in 30 years. If he hasn't moved on by then, that would be a great addition to his CV. Our crowds will, I expect, rival any of the remaining teams with the possible exception of Dundee,

Final thought ..... we may need to bring in two loan players who we might otherwise not afford to achieve this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As great as this season has been, it's evident we need to improve or we will be straight back down. The two SPL sides we've met this season have pumped us, while Morton, Livi and Dunfermline have all secured 3 goal wins against us.

I am sure JR will do what's required, his signings have saved our arses and (very nearly) got us promoted. No reason why he won't be able to sort it out again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

As great as this season has been, it's evident we need to improve or we will be straight back down. The two SPL sides we've met this season have pumped us, while Morton, Livi and Dunfermline have all secured 3 goal wins against us.

I am sure JR will do what's required, his signings have saved our arses and (very nearly) got us promoted. No reason why he won't be able to sort it out again.

Why do some keep going on about the Thistle preseason game where key players were out ? Aberdeen pumped Hibs the week before us  what did they just do to the fake Saints. How many times do we need to beat Dunfermilne before that game is put to bed. Morton derby game so what. How about our home record do you know how many we have lost. We have been fantastic this season. If anyone thinks we won't add equality to a basic squad then they are nuts some will go some some will come. Don't have us relegated before we have even won the title. Why are some so dark when it comes to St Mirren. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hibs won the League last season with 71 points. We are well on course of beating that total and have strolled this League as Hibs have now strolled the Premiership and are fourth. While there is a huge difference in budgets between us and Hibs there is sod all between us and more than half the teams in the Premiership. Since we will have about 12-14 players leaving anyway of course we will be strengthening but the players that have been playing regularly will still do a great job for us.

And I wish folk would stop referring to the Thistle game as an example of how 'poor' we are. The following players played at some point that day  - Stewart (gk), Whyte, Irvine, Stewart, Kirkpatrick, O'Keefe, Sutton . We had 16 year old Erharon on the bench as well as Horne. Hardly the first team squad we have now and the majority of those players won't be with us next season.

Against Dundee we included Stewart (gk), Whyte, Hilson, Kirkpatrick, Todd, Sutton, McPherson and a trialist. Again hardly our now first 11.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Why do some keep going on about the Thistle preseason game where key players were out ? Aberdeen pumped Hibs the week before us  what did they just do to the fake Saints. How many times do we need to beat Dunfermilne before that game is put to bed. Morton derby game so what. How about our home record do you know how many we have lost. We have been fantastic this season. If anyone thinks we won't add equality to a basic squad then they are nuts some will go some some will come. Don't have us relegated before we have even won the title. Why are some so dark when it comes to St Mirren. 

The point is that five times this season we have lost by 3 goals or more. That's my concern going into a better league next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎04‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 4:57 PM, Sonny said:

Hibs won the League last season with 71 points. We are well on course of beating that total and have strolled this League as Hibs have now strolled the Premiership and are fourth. While there is a huge difference in budgets between us and Hibs there is sod all between us and more than half the teams in the Premiership. Since we will have about 12-14 players leaving anyway of course we will be strengthening but the players that have been playing regularly will still do a great job for us.

And I wish folk would stop referring to the Thistle game as an example of how 'poor' we are. The following players played at some point that day  - Stewart (gk), Whyte, Irvine, Stewart, Kirkpatrick, O'Keefe, Sutton . We had 16 year old Erharon on the bench as well as Horne. Hardly the first team squad we have now and the majority of those players won't be with us next season.

Against Dundee we included Stewart (gk), Whyte, Hilson, Kirkpatrick, Todd, Sutton, McPherson and a trialist. Again hardly our now first 11.

To be fair Sonny, I think they were referring to the Aberdeen game where we did have a full squad.

Against Dundee although they won, you could see a gulf between the two teams but one in which we looked way better than them until McGennis came of injured and we had a wee "heids gone" moment.

If you look at our first eleven, only Morgan is definitely gone and we need a replacement.  I'm not sure if either O'keefe or Flannigan are good enough to replace him but they probably would be good enough to come of the bench and inject a bit of pace into the team. So I think we need to look at LM. Morgan is in some ways irreplaceable. But we're really not a one man team. A decent LM in the mould of Flynn would work fine.

I'd be delighted if we brought in 5 or 10 new players as some suggest and we will have a bigger budget when we clear out some of the dead wood.  But I'd much rather we brought in 2-3 players that were definitely better than what we have. So Cairey making a third stint at saints, Higdon returning, Paul McGinn, Scott Allen.  That's the calibre I think we need to look at.  Not sure how many of them you get to the pound.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×