Scottish leagues

3 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Would never happen bud. The lost revenue from the league games would never be compensated for by the league cup format , also you suggest cup games included , more lost revenue there.

I know,  get it right on the park, we can then negotiate a bumper tv deal, lol

The wee teams have it in their power to do something.

Forget about the top league as it is now and create your own leagues where everyone, within reason, could potentially win the league they are in.  

Sponsors will soon see that their is a different product on the market, nothing to do with the All Ireland Bigots and everything that goes with them.

Take control and don't be dictated to by the AIB who only want to take from the game.

There.

14 hours ago, Hambud said:

Sad thing is there's too much greed and the decision makers won't turn their back on 4 OF matches a season so it won't change.

14 hours ago, Dave The Buddie said:

Also the TV broadcasters want 4 Old Firm games.

Me personally would have two leagues. 18 top flight would be ideal.

4 hours ago, shull said:

The two Glasgow Bigots must be removed from Scottish Football.

Otherwise it is business as usual , no matter what League format is being used.

We must have a Top League where all teams have a chance to win it.  Not just two.

1985 was a long time ago.

Yep, yep and yep. 

Wish we had people in charge of our game with a wee bit more backbone that would crack down on these horrible teams, shown for generations they stand for bigoted, sectarian, self-preservation rubbish.  The 11-1 vote rule is a perfect example of the pathetic yellow streak that exists in our game, the Glasgow lovers able to vote together to stop any real beneficial change. 

Recent chat about the Colt teams, I'd love nothing more than England doing us a favor and allowing them to put Colt teams in the lower English leagues then them both buggering off in a few years. Would be the best thing for Scottish football as a sport. Too many people think sport/ financial gain are the same thing.  Although in saying that, why on earth would England want these football clubs and the trouble they bring. 

Some sound ideas put forward here.

I agree  that the 11-1 vote was a mistake we and difficult to change.

Ideas so far as I see them:

1 Enlarge the size of the top league (and I assume change the voting arrangements) to 14,16 or 18

2 Enlarge the size of the two top leagues to 16 or 18.

3 Two up, two down with play offs.

4 A 14 Team Top League with an 8/6 split.

5 Reintroduce Regional Leagues below the top tier.

Which to choose?

I like the idea of increasing the size of the top league and avoiding playing each other 4 times.

I like the idea of 2 up and 2 down plus play offs to bring added interest in an expanded league set up.

I guess then that I would go for a 16 Team Top League (Voting to be 3/4 majority in future)

Part of me likes the Regional League idea but this seems to exist already at the level below the senior leagues.

So, I would go for increasing the total number of clubs in the league set up and go for a 16 Team Championship and 16 Team 1st Division.

This would make room for ambitious teams like East Kilbride and maybe some top Junior sides like Pollok to join.

Football fans like to say that they are fed up with 4 times a season....  but in reality.....

You'd be asking, say, Hearts, to give up home fixtures against Hibs, Rangers, Celtic & Aberdeen to play Livingston, Queen of the South, Morton & Dunfermline instead.

The fact is that Hearts against of those first 4 names sides is going to draw more Hearts fans out than Hearts against the latter 4.

Fans say one thing but will do another in reality.

6 hours ago, munoz said:

The one thing the majority of supporters in this country  agree with is ,that a larger league is the way forward. My preference would be an 18 team league.

But in reality, they'd turn out in much lower numbers for the actual fixtures

3 hours ago, DougJamie said:

As for Summer football- What is summer??

A "summer" season would run from January to December. You'd end up with games on the opening and last days of the season getting postponed! :lol:

6 minutes ago, zico said:

Football fans like to say that they are fed up with 4 times a season....  but in reality.....

You'd be asking, say, Hearts, to give up home fixtures against Hibs, Rangers, Celtic & Aberdeen to play Livingston, Queen of the South, Morton & Dunfermline instead.

The fact is that Hearts against of those first 4 names sides is going to draw more Hearts fans out than Hearts against the latter 4.

Fans say one thing but will do another in reality.

Hit Nail on Head. All clubs will do this for common good. The fact we have and always have had such a weak controlling body  and that we have 2 giants ,  3 medium sized and the rest provincial , part time and in some cases no justification for being in a Pro League. Queens Park?

Stupid set up since 1975, and now we have  42 teams and  pyramid support leagues, we have diddy cups , a season that for some starts in June and ends in May. Its all about quantity with very little quality

I would have 2 16 team leagues , have  30 games , then split to 8 and 8 and have another round. 

I would kill off silly clubs in a Pro sense, and also close Cappielow for Health reasons.....

Make a bigger development league and invest in our kids and facilities............

32 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Hit Nail on Head. All clubs will do this for common good. The fact we have and always have had such a weak controlling body  and that we have 2 giants ,  3 medium sized and the rest provincial , part time and in some cases no justification for being in a Pro League. Queens Park?

Stupid set up since 1975, and now we have  42 teams and  pyramid support leagues, we have diddy cups , a season that for some starts in June and ends in May. Its all about quantity with very little quality

I would have 2 16 team leagues , have  30 games , then split to 8 and 8 and have another round. 

I would kill off silly clubs in a Pro sense, and also close Cappielow for Health reasons.....

Make a bigger development league and invest in our kids and facilities............

Just need to kill off the two sectarian Clubs and Scottish Football would flourish. 

9 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

TV runs the game that's why there are so many Friday , Saturday lunchtime, Sunday lunchtime Saturday teatime games. Anyone who think it's Hampden big wigs is wrong. What the TV want the TV get. Next season we will be back to crap kick off times. 

A long time ago Desmond Whyte, the then Chairman of Celtic said that Live games on TV would kill the crowds at games  and hand over the reins to TV to the detriment of those of us who go attend games. Personally, I wish our papers etc would stop giving so much space to English Clubs. This is not anti English. Just common sense...let's talk up our own game and teams. 

Edited by St.Ricky

12 hours ago, chalky1 said:

For me two divisions of 16, we play 30 league games each season, this frees up 6 weekends so we could have an extended winter break or this would allow any team playing in Europe and wanting a free weekend prior to the game to ask for a postponement and then selecting 1 of these free weekends for the rescheduled game. Extend the league cup to a group format including premiership teams as well. This way some revenue is made up for the league games that are lost. Keep season tickets at the same price and and the cup games are added (everyone's a winner). Happy with either 3 or 4 teams being relegated.

The new tv deal can show Saturday 3pm kick offs, the tv deals includes all League & Cup games, this way there is still potential for the broadcaster to get 4 OF games per season

this makes a lot of sense, that alone should kill it