Inverness v St Mirren 31/03/2018(Maybe)

Ronnie

Well that's me on my way home from game yesterday. Was happy to except a draw before game so not upset with the outcome just saw there two goals the second one I think Sammy doesn't get to see it until its to late to react but still another point to our target so all good. 

7 minutes ago, davidg said:

Samson was suspect for both goals but Gary Mac was really poor for the first goal. Misjudged the flight and didn’t win the header leaving his man with a free header. 

The secon goal was also Gary Mac, not Baird who tried to head the free kick as it came in. Still expect Samson to save this one although he would have been a little unsighted which is his only defence. 

The centre half area is something Jack will need to address for next season, we need a quality partner for Davis if he’s still here. For the run in I’d rather Baird got the nod ahead of MacKenzie. 

Ah, I thought it was Baird for the second.

The first was very poorly defended. MacKenzie should be winning balls like that all day long.

11 minutes ago, munoz said:

Wee clueless yet again. The 2 goals conceded were not Samsons fault as others have pointed out. 

Agreed.

I don't regard Samson as being at fault for either. Poor defending in front of him was the issue.

Anyway, as others have mentioned, it was a decent point at a tough venue against a team that look much improved from their early season form.

An excellent summary of the game from RiG (ICT supporter) on P&B. I agree with pretty much everything in here (though I would add that Morgan tended to overplay it times when on the ball):

"Deserved that today. We more than matched Saint Mirren for large parts of the game in terms of possession but our lack of a cutting edge in the final third really came back to haunt us. The best example of this was probably when Polworth broke clear with Doran to his left and Austin (I think) to his right and he passed the ball out of play for a goal kick :lol: That said Ridgers made some outrageous saves to keep us in it so over the piece a draw was a fair result.

Saints went ahead after some sloppy defending from Donaldson. He was asleep when Mullen burst past him into the box and as Donaldson tried to get back with him he started clawing at Mullen's shoulders and he went down. Bit of a theatrical fall maybe but still a clear and stupid foul from Donaldson. Davies coolly slotted the ball into the bottom corner of the net. As mentioned above any potential ICT attacks usually broke down outside the Buddies box as we struggled to find a killer final ball. Whilst we had more of the ball it was Saint Mirren who looked more likely to get the next goal as they had the clearer cut chances of the two sides. Morgan passed up the best one of these when his fierce shot was turned behind by Ridgers.

Then we had an incredible few seconds of play as Ridgers somehow managed to claw a goal bound header off the line and ICT scrambled the ball away only for a wicked cross to be sent back in from the left and MacKenzie (I think) threw himself up in the air under pressure from Tremarco and the referee gave a penalty which led to mass protests from the ICT players. Looked incredibly theatrical from the Saints player but arguably justice was done as Ridgers saved the spot kick with his foot giving ICT a big boost just before half time.

Vigurs almost got ICT back on level terms when he sent a wicked left footed shot towards goal but with Samson already having given up on getting near the ball it crashed off the bar and behind. With ICT continuing to control most of the ball but Saints still a potent threat on the counter the referee denied ICT what looked like a stonewall penalty when Doran dinked the ball over a defenders foot only to be barged over. Incredibly Doran was booked for diving leading to yours truly having an almighty heads gone moment in the North Stand.

With about 20 minutes to go Lewis Morgan struck an utterly ridiculous free kick into the net off the post to put Saints firmly in the driving seat. It really needs to be seen to be believed, a truly awesome hit. Limbs AOTS in the away end.

With ten minutes left on the clock ICT got a goal back. Polworth floated a corner into the box and with Samson static in his goal line Warren sent what looked like a pretty tame header into the ground. Samson looked like he sort of fell over instead of saving the ball and it squirmed past him to give ICT a big lift going into the final moments of the game. That faint hope was nearly extinguished seconds later when Morgan broke clear of the ICT defence and again sent in a powerful shot which Ridgers dealt with well.

Saints were made to pay for that missed chance when ICT were given a free kick about 25 yards to the right of the away goal. Polworth somehow smashed a free kick past a despairing Samson into the net leaving the home fans dreaming of the impossible come back. Both sides then had opportunities to claim what would surely be the final goal and the three points. First Mackay stretched to get on the end of a chipped ball into the box but he couldn't get enough height on his header to lift it over an advancing Samson. Then the lively Morgan was again denied by last ditch block from Tremarco before the loose ball was blazed over.

A quite incredible game, frenetic and end to end for almost the entire 90 minutes. Ridgers kept us in the game with some great saves whilst Vigurs performed well in the middle seemingly feeding off the sense of injustice felt by the home side with some of the referees decisions. For Saints Morgan was just sensational. He's an easy player to pick out but even if you had been sleeping under a rock for the last few months you would have left being impressed by the guy. He tore Mckay apart on several occasions and I suspect Brad will be quite glad the game is over. A really good away support in attendance, about 800 odd, who never stopped singing for almost the entire game save for the few minutes when we finally found our shooting boots.

Referee was laughable."

7 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Said it earlier. They go 2-0 up and we come back - great point. We go 2-0 up and they come back - disappointing point.

If yer’ auntie had baws..... she’d be managing Dundee United.

Onto Brechin.

Aye, made the same, er....point, on the way back last night.

ICT's recent home form has been very good. If they had been playing all season as they did in the 2nd half, they would have been scrapping it out with Livingston for second spot.

Now that the dust has settled, I'm pretty happy with the point. It keeps us heading in the right direction.

This time last week the gap was 11 points and Livi had seven games left. Now it’s 12 and Livi have six games. Ok, it should probably be a 14 point gap but we’re still in a stronger position than we were seven days ago.

Hopefully they drop points on Tuesday and we don’t do a classic St Mirren thing if providing Brechin with their first win of the season.

19 minutes ago, Stu said:

This time last week the gap was 11 points and Livi had seven games left. Now it’s 12 and Livi have six games. Ok, it should probably be a 14 point gap but we’re still in a stronger position than we were seven days ago.

Hopefully they drop points on Tuesday and we don’t do a classic St Mirren thing if providing Brechin with their first win of the season.

And the fact we have Livy at home still to come is massive. 1 point over the 2 away games followed by a victory against Livy would be all that’s needed, If it even goes as far as the Livy game. 

12 minutes ago, davidg said:

And the fact we have Livy at home still to come is massive. 1 point over the 2 away games followed by a victory against Livy would be all that’s needed, If it even goes as far as the Livy game. 

Would really like us to beat them due to the pumping they gave us and it was us that ended their faint hopes

To be honest as much i hate us losing any points

I could live with us just beating Livy and Morton until to the rest of the season

It shows how far we've come n such a short time that we're gutted at only getting a point. I'm even more upset by the facts that, 1) We should have been further ahead,  2) Ridgers picked this game to be at his best, and 3) Our defence was so poor when it mattered.

Still. A point closer to the finish line. I do hope Dungfermline do a number on Livi to ease the pain a little.

1 hour ago, stlucifer said:

It shows how far we've come n such a short time that we're gutted at only getting a point. I'm even more upset by the facts that, 1) We should have been further ahead,  2) Ridgers picked this game to be at his best, and 3) Our defence was so poor when it mattered.

Still. A point closer to the finish line. I do hope Dungfermline do a number on Livi to ease the pain a little.

No pain, no gain. :wink:

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Prefer rare.

Can't believe some of the negativity on here due to the 2 late goals conceded yesterday these things happen.

14 times in league games this season we have had a 2 goal lead and yesterday was the first time we haven't won the game pretty good stats imo.

On the other hand 5 times we have chased a 2 goal lead and 1 out of 5 we have recovered from 2 down.

27 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Can't believe some of the negativity on here due to the 2 late goals conceded yesterday these things happen.

14 times in league games this season we have had a 2 goal lead and yesterday was the first time we haven't won the game pretty good stats imo.

On the other hand 5 times we have chased a 2 goal lead and 1 out of 5 we have recovered from 2 down.

Agree. I was there and yes it felt like 2 points dropped but you couldn't watch a better and more competitive game. We had enough chances to kill the game. We didn't take them. The match really mattered to ICT as well and I expect similar commitment and energy from other teams playing us as the season comes to a close. There will be no easy games.

41 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Isn't it weird when anyone raises an issue that's not sucking up the managers, or players,  arse it's seen as negative? 

It's only fair to question decisions and performances or we rest on our laurels and don't move on. 

27 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Isn't it weird when anyone raises an issue that's not sucking up the managers, or players,  arse it's seen as negative? 

It's only fair to question decisions and performances or we rest on our laurels and don't move on. 

Maybe try going to games Faraway. 

Break the habit of a lifetime.

No one is sucking up the players or managers arse but some of the feedback on here and elsewhere about yesterday was imo well over the top.

Jack made a mistake he admitted it in the aftermath interview but if ever there was a bunch of players and a manager that deserves a bit of slack after a mistake it's them but some saw it as an opportunity to slate a team that has for 14 months pretty much brushed every single team aside to reach their goals.

Each player yesterday had played great for majority of the game but more than half contributed to the end result by their mistakes looking on here though only Ross,Baird & Samson were to blame.

7 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

No one is sucking up the players or managers arse but some of the feedback on here and elsewhere about yesterday was imo well over the top.

Jack made a mistake he admitted it in the aftermath interview but if ever there was a bunch of players and a manager that deserves a bit of slack after a mistake it's them but some saw it as an opportunity to slate a team that has for 14 months pretty much brushed every single team aside to reach their goals.

Each player yesterday had played great for majority of the game but more than half contributed to the end result by their mistakes looking on here though only Ross,Baird & Samson were to blame.

I don't agree it was well over the top. The vast majority was balanced and fair. 

Why is anything that's not always seen with rose coloured glasses seen as negative, your term? 

Edited by faraway saint

5 hours ago, Drew said:

An excellent summary of the game from RiG (ICT supporter) on P&B. I agree with pretty much everything in here (though I would add that Morgan tended to overplay it times when on the ball):

"Deserved that today. We more than matched Saint Mirren for large parts of the game in terms of possession but our lack of a cutting edge in the final third really came back to haunt us. The best example of this was probably when Polworth broke clear with Doran to his left and Austin (I think) to his right and he passed the ball out of play for a goal kick :lol: That said Ridgers made some outrageous saves to keep us in it so over the piece a draw was a fair result.

Saints went ahead after some sloppy defending from Donaldson. He was asleep when Mullen burst past him into the box and as Donaldson tried to get back with him he started clawing at Mullen's shoulders and he went down. Bit of a theatrical fall maybe but still a clear and stupid foul from Donaldson. Davies coolly slotted the ball into the bottom corner of the net. As mentioned above any potential ICT attacks usually broke down outside the Buddies box as we struggled to find a killer final ball. Whilst we had more of the ball it was Saint Mirren who looked more likely to get the next goal as they had the clearer cut chances of the two sides. Morgan passed up the best one of these when his fierce shot was turned behind by Ridgers.

Then we had an incredible few seconds of play as Ridgers somehow managed to claw a goal bound header off the line and ICT scrambled the ball away only for a wicked cross to be sent back in from the left and MacKenzie (I think) threw himself up in the air under pressure from Tremarco and the referee gave a penalty which led to mass protests from the ICT players. Looked incredibly theatrical from the Saints player but arguably justice was done as Ridgers saved the spot kick with his foot giving ICT a big boost just before half time.

Vigurs almost got ICT back on level terms when he sent a wicked left footed shot towards goal but with Samson already having given up on getting near the ball it crashed off the bar and behind. With ICT continuing to control most of the ball but Saints still a potent threat on the counter the referee denied ICT what looked like a stonewall penalty when Doran dinked the ball over a defenders foot only to be barged over. Incredibly Doran was booked for diving leading to yours truly having an almighty heads gone moment in the North Stand.

With about 20 minutes to go Lewis Morgan struck an utterly ridiculous free kick into the net off the post to put Saints firmly in the driving seat. It really needs to be seen to be believed, a truly awesome hit. Limbs AOTS in the away end.

With ten minutes left on the clock ICT got a goal back. Polworth floated a corner into the box and with Samson static in his goal line Warren sent what looked like a pretty tame header into the ground. Samson looked like he sort of fell over instead of saving the ball and it squirmed past him to give ICT a big lift going into the final moments of the game. That faint hope was nearly extinguished seconds later when Morgan broke clear of the ICT defence and again sent in a powerful shot which Ridgers dealt with well.

Saints were made to pay for that missed chance when ICT were given a free kick about 25 yards to the right of the away goal. Polworth somehow smashed a free kick past a despairing Samson into the net leaving the home fans dreaming of the impossible come back. Both sides then had opportunities to claim what would surely be the final goal and the three points. First Mackay stretched to get on the end of a chipped ball into the box but he couldn't get enough height on his header to lift it over an advancing Samson. Then the lively Morgan was again denied by last ditch block from Tremarco before the loose ball was blazed over.

A quite incredible game, frenetic and end to end for almost the entire 90 minutes. Ridgers kept us in the game with some great saves whilst Vigurs performed well in the middle seemingly feeding off the sense of injustice felt by the home side with some of the referees decisions. For Saints Morgan was just sensational. He's an easy player to pick out but even if you had been sleeping under a rock for the last few months you would have left being impressed by the guy. He tore Mckay apart on several occasions and I suspect Brad will be quite glad the game is over. A really good away support in attendance, about 800 odd, who never stopped singing for almost the entire game save for the few minutes when we finally found our shooting boots.

Referee was laughable."

Excellent summary by the ICT fan.