Attendances in the Championship

4 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

You're correct about the supports Accies & Dundee would bring to GHR.

It would however mean no Tayside derbies which usually attract crowds of 6000+ whereas the Fakes vs Hamilton is normally just over 3000 so Dundee getting relegated will affect the Fakes more than Hamilton going down would affect us.

On balance I reckon Morton coming up via the play-offs and Dundee & Ross County getting relegated would suit us best.

I don't really care if Mort*n caked in and their stadium got rightly demolished . I hate going there , and the fact we will be celebrating League promotion in front of them doesn't particularly excite me either . I prefered it when they were a couple of leagues below us. .

7 hours ago, Kemp said:

I can't see the police letting Morton open the abyss behind the goals to the Old Firm animals.  Would be mayhem.

Personally, I would also like to see them promoted and finally forced to build our old East Stand they have sitting in a shed somewhere!  Finally get a roof over that tip.

Since Newco have already played Morton in Greenock when they were in the championship, I don't see why they cant play there next season if Morton were to go up.

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

Thanks Faraway

But

In 2015/2016 Average 3,200

In 2016/2017 Average 3,599

In 2017/2018 Average 4.247 with 3 good home games to go.

The facts are that we are on an upward trend.

Moving to the top league will ,in my opinion , build on that upward trend.

Attendances obviously include both home and away fans.

Both are likely to increase in 2018/2019 with perhaps the biggest jump being in the number of away fans who come to Paisley. C, R, Hearts, Hibs, Killie,   Motherwell and Aberdeen bring big numbers of supporters. There are stats available for those who want to look on away crowds at clubs. My guestimate is that away fans attending will increase by more than 500  per game. 

That brings us back to how many Saints fans will come along. I am sticking with the  trend from last year to this and suggesting that we might add 500 per game on average.

Now if I were a director then I might choose to be a little guarded in my projections and in that I take on Faraway ' s well made point that these are large increases for any business.

Over to the manager, team and board to make it so attractive to come along that it's difficult to resist!

The previous seasons are lower because.........ach, pointless, wasting my data on you. <_<

10 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

The previous seasons are lower because.........ach, pointless, wasting my data on you. <_<

I think I might know why Faraway....that's not the point. The point is that circumstances change.

Time to move on from your broken record as you "observe" from afar.

Your choice - mine has been to go to games home and away for the past 44 years.

Neither is right. Neither is wrong.

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

St Mirren have never been a major part of my life, football has and is.

I went to home games because Love Street was 200 yards from my house.

Never went to away games, had other stuff to do.

Pool and snooker were more of an attraction. 

My friends supported a variety of teams, I never felt the need to hang about with people because they supported St Mirren. 

Back on topic, our current support,IMO, is pretty close to maximum and if we can't attract more when the last year has been as good as it's been for a very long time we never will.  

I mentioned earlier IF we had sustained success, and I mean top 4, we could raise the attendances,  but not by much. 

People who attend are interested, people who don't aren't and there's little that can be done to change that. 

Hope this helps. :D

Says the man with 27,932 posts on the BAWA forum.

6 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Thanks Faraway

But

In 2015/2016 Average 3,200

In 2016/2017 Average 3,599

In 2017/2018 Average 4.247 with 3 good home games to go.

The facts are that we are on an upward trend.

Moving to the top league will ,in my opinion , build on that upward trend.

Attendances obviously include both home and away fans.

Both are likely to increase in 2018/2019 with perhaps the biggest jump being in the number of away fans who come to Paisley. C, R, Hearts, Hibs, Killie,   Motherwell and Aberdeen bring big numbers of supporters. There are stats available for those who want to look on away crowds at clubs. My guestimate is that away fans attending will increase by more than 500  per game. 

That brings us back to how many Saints fans will come along. I am sticking with the  trend from last year to this and suggesting that we might add 500 per game on average.

Now if I were a director then I might choose to be a little guarded in my projections and in that I take on Faraway ' s well made point that these are large increases for any business.

Over to the manager, team and board to make it so attractive to come along that it's difficult to resist!

The part I don't think you are taking on board is the fact that we have a maximum number we can reach. 

In 15/16 when we only had an average of 3200, we were nowhere near that maximum, many people were staying away due to results, the way the club was run etc.

Everything has completely changed since then which has resulted in such dramatic increase in attendances as all those fans have come back. We can't expect to continually see them same percentage increase year on year as we are pretty much at our maximum now. Anyone who isn't coming to watch us now isn't gonna be tempted by us next season either. This is one of the best seasons in the clubs history. This is very close to the absolute maximum we will get. 

We will see an increase in the away support though but in terms of home support this is as good as it gets.

Edited by LargsBud

1 hour ago, LargsBud said:

The part I don't think you are taking on board is the fact that we have a maximum number we can reach. 

In 15/16 when we only had an average of 3200, we were nowhere near that maximum, many people were staying away due to results, the way the club was run etc.

Everything has completely changed since then which has resulted in such dramatic increase in attendances as all those fans have come back. We can't expect to continually see them same percentage increase year on year as we are pretty much at our maximum now. Anyone who isn't coming to watch us now isn't gonna be tempted by us next season either. This is one of the best seasons in the clubs history. This is very close to the absolute maximum we will get. 

We will see an increase in the away support though but in terms of home support this is as good as it gets.

And that closes the thread. 

I await Ricky's rambling reply with baited breath. 

5 hours ago, faraway saint said:

And that closes the thread. 

I await Ricky's rambling reply with baited breath. 

Unbait your breath.

My contention is that the upward trend will continue into the Premier League fulled by an increase in the number of fans coming to the home end to see not only Saints but the higher level opposition and an increase in away fans from the teams in the Premier League.

I think your analysis of the increase over the pasr 3 years is spot on and corresponds with my own thoughts but my thoughts on what happens next differs.

Time will tell. 

Edited by St.Ricky

23 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Unbait your breath.

My contention is that the upward trend will continue into the Premier League fulled by an increase in the number of fans coming to the home end to see not only Saints but the higher level opposition and an increase in away fans from the teams in the Premier League.

I think your analysis of the increase over the pasr 3 years is spot on and corresponds with my own thoughts but my thoughts on what happens next differs.

Time will tell. 

You're inability to understand that we, like every team, has a ceiling. Your earlier rants about a 15% Increase seem to have subsided leaving you with the straw that there could be peaks but the reality is our currently numbers, IMO, will drop.

Any additional support will drop like a fecking stone when we are not winning at the rate we are right now,  and we won't. 

Time will tell right enough. 

Edited by faraway saint

2 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

You're inability to understand that we, like every team, has a ceiling. Your earlier rants about a 15% Increase seem to have subsided leaving you with the straw that there could be peaks but the reality is our currently numbers, IMO, will drop.

I stand by what I said. Time will tell.

On 3/31/2018 at 9:33 PM, faraway saint said:

Any additional support will drop like a fecking stone when we are not winning at the rate we are right now,  and we won't. 

Who the hell want's 'reality checks' when were about to win the league ......certainly not I

23 hours ago, northstbuddie said:

Says the man with 27,932 posts on the BAWA forum.

Why does he spends half his life on this forum if the club doesn't mean that much to him. Surely he would be better on P&B with the bigger range of football topics  :whistle

Fitba is too dear for the casual fan

When growing up my mates who followed the old scum would go along to Love Street to watch certain games

That's gone now it's became more tribal and these people don't regard SMFC as their local team who they like to do well but the enemy

Won't give money to the enemy and over 80% of fitba public in the Paisley area come into this category

What we are getting the now is as good as it gets unless the old scum stop winning things

• 4 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, eastlandssaint said:

Excellent East Land Saint

Attendance figures extracted and shown below.

Substantial increase for Brechin, Livingston, Pars and Saints.

We had increased our previous years figures by 15% and now 23.5%

Next Season 15 - 20% is possible:

1 Home Season Ticket Sales will rise (others disagree)

2 Higher number of away fans coming to games at St Mirren Park

Attendances[edit]

Pos Team Total High Low Average Change
1 Brechin City 15,958 2,627 445 938 +119.1%
2 Dumbarton 15,085 1,652 392 838 −25.8%
3 Dundee United 93,871 6,936 3,620 5,521 −16.1%
4 Dunfermline Athletic 88,876 7,585 2,249 5,228 +17.8%
5 Falkirk 78,667 6,094 3,864 4,627 −8.0%
6 Greenock Morton 34,200 4,661 1,134 2,011 −14.8%
7 Inverness Caledonian Thistle 41,296 3,415 1,801 2,294 −41.8%
8 Livingston 24,268 2,708 732 1,348 +69.3%
9 Queen of the South 26,232 2,019 1,062 1,457 −21.4%
10 St Mirren 80,061 6,422 3,023 4,447 +23.5%
  League total 500,214 7,585 392 2,858 −36.3%

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

Excellent East Land Saint

Attendance figures extracted and shown below.

Substantial increase for Brechin, Livingston, Pars and Saints.

We had increased our previous years figures by 15% and now 23.5%

Next Season 15 - 20% is possible:

1 Home Season Ticket Sales will rise (others disagree)

2 Higher number of away fans coming to games at St Mirren Park

Attendances[edit]

Pos Team Total High Low Average Change
1 Brechin City 15,958 2,627 445 938 +119.1%
2 Dumbarton 15,085 1,652 392 838 −25.8%
3 Dundee United 93,871 6,936 3,620 5,521 −16.1%
4 Dunfermline Athletic 88,876 7,585 2,249 5,228 +17.8%
5 Falkirk 78,667 6,094 3,864 4,627 −8.0%
6 Greenock Morton 34,200 4,661 1,134 2,011 −14.8%
7 Inverness Caledonian Thistle 41,296 3,415 1,801 2,294 −41.8%
8 Livingston 24,268 2,708 732 1,348 +69.3%
9 Queen of the South 26,232 2,019 1,062 1,457 −21.4%
10 St Mirren 80,061 6,422 3,023 4,447 +23.5%
  League total 500,214 7,585 392 2,858 −36.3%

Since some of the teams count ST holders even if they haven't turn up, I wouldn't believe those figures.

Next seasons average home support attendances will quite simply be determined by the quality and performances on the park. Success will increase support slightly, a struggle in the bottom six will see us with lower support. If you think back to when we were in top league, average attendances were heavily affected by away fans rather than a huge home support