Attendances in the Championship

7 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Dundee Utd's average attendance being higher than ours is unsurprising, but a bit disappointing that we didn't surpass Dunfermline's.

Also Falkirk, whose season was utter pish from start to finish, almost matched ours.

Falkirk's average also surpassed ours, which is disappointing when you look at how the season's panned out. They've been down in this league for 9 years as well now.

23 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Dundee Utd's average attendance being higher than ours is unsurprising, but a bit disappointing that we didn't surpass Dunfermline's.

Also Falkirk, whose season was utter pish from start to finish, almost matched ours.

Absolutely! A sobering thought and a stark reminder as we get carried away, as to our standing in Scottish football. 

Like others have said, no surprise at all to be less than Dundee Utd. Disappointing to be behind a Dunfermline team who have never really been in the running since the early part of the season, and downright embarrassing to be behind a Falkirk team languishing at the bottom rand of the Championship. 

Dunfermline figures are false , as mentioned they include season ticket holders whether present or not. There was one DAFC fixture played midweek when the official att. was quoted as over 5k and the local regulars on P&B all said you were lucky if there was half of that there !

10 hours ago, billyg said:

Dunfermline figures are false , as mentioned they include season ticket holders whether present or not. There was one DAFC fixture played midweek when the official att. was quoted as over 5k and the local regulars on P&B all said you were lucky if there was half of that there !

Sorry Billy but how does that make the figures false. If people have bought a ticket they should be included if for no other reason tax purposes. Anyway, do we seriously think a team like Dunfermline would have a significant amount of season ticket holders who don’t turn up every week?

2 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Sorry Billy but how does that make the figures false. If people have bought a ticket they should be included if for no other reason tax purposes. Anyway, do we seriously think a team like Dunfermline would have a significant amount of season ticket holders who don’t turn up every week?

I think the suggestion is that Dunfermline hand out kids' season tickets like confetti for free/peanuts.

16 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

It makes it false in that they didn't attend the specific match!

It also makes a like for like comparison impossible.

And yes, I believe that a significant number of ST holders won't turn up for certain games, eg kids on free / almost free STs, midweek games towards end of season against unexciting opposition when there is no hope of challenging for the title, etc.

Edited by zico

39 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Clearly if Dunfermiline are counting absent season ticket holders and we aren't that will create a discrepancy in the figures.

It's been discussed frequently on here that there are a significant number of season ticket holders who dont turn up to each game.

46 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Well if the saints did what the Pars did, our average gate would be higher since we don't count any ST holders that don't turn up.  Edit to add, Newco claimed they were more than 47000 at their game against Hearts last Sunday :lol:  They must have all been wearing hard blue plastic seats if that was the truth :rolleyes:

Edited by renfrew

Guys. 

Looking at Saint's figures. 

Assuming that the method of recording our attendances hasn't changed then:

Despite not having Rangers or Hibs in our Championship this season. 

Our rise in numbers attending is dramatic. 

Long may it continue. 

Please tell me where I am missing something...... But how come Saints have attracted more fans through the gates than Falkirk, yet our average attendance is lower than theirs.  Same amount of home games. Can somebody who is not drinking in the sunshine please explain .....  

3 minutes ago, Holden said:

Please tell me where I am missing something...... But how come Saints have attracted more fans through the gates than Falkirk, yet our average attendance is lower than theirs.  Same amount of home games. Can somebody who is not drinking in the sunshine please explain .....  

When those figures were published, Falkirk still had one more home game (vs Saints). Therefore their total in that table was divided by 17 and not 18 (like ours).

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/scottish-championship/attendances

All of the details available through this link.

This is the third season in a row that our home attendances have grown.

Despite no Hibs or Rangers in the League this year.

We had the largest travelling support.

Figures are available.

Also available
Home matches Average attendances Minimum attendances Maximum attendances
Away matches Average attendances Minimum attendances Maximum attendances
All matches Average attendances Minimum attendances Maximum attendances
  Average Attendance
1 Dundee United   5,505
2 Dunfermline Athletic   5,243
3 Falkirk   4,676
4 St Mirren   4,447
5 Inverness Caledonian Thistle   2,417
6 Greenock Morton   1,985
7 Queen of the South   1,452
8 Livingston   1,351
9 Brechin City   923
10 Dumbarton  

Edited by St.Ricky

Cheers Eric. That makes it clear. Surprising that Falkirk attract more support than us.... But may be due to their location. Very central and handy for away fans such as Dunfermline and  Utd to some extent. I work in Falkirk and most footy fans seem to be Rangers supporters. Don't work with any Falkirk fans at all. 

Attendance figures can be misleading for us. as visiting fans to Fort Greenhill Rd were in short supply this season as they knew fine well they were gonna get pumped silly, while our away support boosts other teams attendances by at least 20% / 40%.  next year should see a big increase in home attendances as teams like Celtic will fancy their chances of taking a point or something from the Fort  :) 

21 minutes ago, Holden said:

Cheers Eric. That makes it clear. Surprising that Falkirk attract more support than us.... But may be due to their location. Very central and handy for away fans such as Dunfermline and  Utd to some extent. I work in Falkirk and most footy fans seem to be Rangers supporters. Don't work with any Falkirk fans at all. 

Both Dunfermline and Falkirk attracted bigger support. You have a good point regarding travel as Falkirk is only 20 minutes from both Edinburgh and Glasgow by train.  Both teams are in areas (like Saints) where they compete with the big city teams in Glasgow but also in their cases Edinburgh. Both clubs, like us, had boards of directors with various issues and financial stringency.  Falkirk in particular performed well over the past 2 seasons or more before this one and built their growth on increased season ticket sales. Each of us are in the process of rebuilding our support base and encouraging kids in particular to attend games, often free. Great to see our figures go up year on year from 3,000 to 3,699 to 4,447 to ????????  

On 25/04/2018 at 10:34 PM, the barrhead teacher said:

Next seasons average home support attendances will quite simply be determined by the quality and performances on the park. Success will increase support slightly, a struggle in the bottom six will see us with lower support. If you think back to when we were in top league, average attendances were heavily affected by away fans rather than a huge home support

This. 

Summed up perfectly although FRICKY will dispute it till he's blue in the face......:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

This. 

Summed up perfectly although FRICKY will dispute it till he's blue in the face......:rolleyes:

Not me F Man.  

You read it wrongly.

But

I do believe we will sell more season tickets. 

i do believe that we will seek to attract more kids on very attractive terms.

I do believe that success on the park will increase the numbers who turn up on an ad hoc basis - true. Not guranteed.

I do therefore believe that we will increase our home fans but changing the habits of those who only follow on line or on tv will be difficult.

Bigger away fan attendances will be the icing on the cake.

There will be games where home fans without a season ticket may find it difficult to obtain a ticket. 

So....... If you want to make sure you can get to games..... Buy season ticket. 

Can we tempt you back to live football?

Edited by St.Ricky

5 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Not me F Man.  

You read it wrongly.

But

I do believe we will sell more season tickets. 

i do believe that we will seek to attract more kids on very attractive terms.

I do believe that success on the park will increase the numbers who turn up on an ad hoc basis - true. Not guranteed.

I do therefore believe that we will increase our home fans but changing the habits of those who only follow on line or on tv will be difficult.

Bigger away fan attendances will be the icing on the cake.

Can we tempt you back to live football?

On a regular basis, no.  

My priorities are elsewhere.

Thanks for asking. :byebye

Hang your head in shame greater Paisley area!

During an exceptional season for its local team it could not muster a size of support to at least equal less populated areas like Dumfermline and Falkirk.

And don't give us the old cherry of being too close to the blue and green bigots.

However, this is not to detract from the quality of those that did manage to turn up.

The bias of the media towards the ugly sisters has reached new depths. In some papers (and also the BBC) the coverage for Celtic and Newco regularly top 90% of the total football coverage.

Edited by northstbuddie