Saint Mirren V Livingston 14 April

St.Ricky

3 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

I'd like to see Reilly back in for this one.  The guy has scored 20+ goals this season but has been replaced by Mullen who only has 2 goals so far. Reilly's goals were key for so long and they aren't being replaced.

Mullen has actually scored 6 goals in the Championship this season. Reilly has scored 11.

In the last 5 games, where Mullen has started ahead of Reilly, we've scored 11 goals, an average of 2.2 goals per game. Our average before Mullen replaced Reilly was 1.8 goals per game.

18 minutes ago, zico said:

Mullen has actually scored 6 goals in the Championship this season. Reilly has scored 11.

In the last 5 games, where Mullen has started ahead of Reilly, we've scored 11 goals, an average of 2.2 goals per game. Our average before Mullen replaced Reilly was 1.8 goals per game.

I was meaning Mullen's goals for Saints, he's only had 2 so far.

That last comparison isn't very equal.

3 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

Yup.
Scored when he came on at home last time... and looked really hungry last night.
I reckon he has earned a start.

My worry is what to do if McGinn is out.

Logic says possibly McShane as a straightforward replacement...

but Jack tends to have a pecking order for starting spots and then fits the team around the players.

That would mean Reilly starting but a lightweight midfield that was overrun the last time we played Livi.

Not sure about his match fitness but is Donati worth a chance?

There's also the option of the boy on loan from Celtic, although I've yet to see evidence he exists.

3 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

Yup.
Scored when he came on at home last time... and looked really hungry last night.
I reckon he has earned a start.

My worry is what to do if McGinn is out.

Logic says possibly McShane as a straightforward replacement...

but Jack tends to have a pecking order for starting spots and then fits the team around the players.

That would mean Reilly starting but a lightweight midfield that was overrun the last time we played Livi.

Not sure about his match fitness but is Donati worth a chance?

Hopefully no chance McShane coming in for McGinn. As well as Donati, theres Stelios, Irvine etc who could all come in, although it will require a re-jig.

53 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

I was meaning Mullen's goals for Saints, he's only had 2 so far.

That last comparison isn't very equal.

Mo Salah hadn't scored any goals for Liverpool before he joined them either! Omitting his goals with Livi wouldn't be a very equal comparison with Reilly, would it?

And, indeed, the last comparison isn't very equal because it shows that we've been scoring more goals since Mullen replaced Reilly!

Edited by zico

24 minutes ago, zico said:

Mo Salah hadn't scored any goals for Liverpool before he joined them either! Omitting his goals with Livi wouldn't be a very equal comparison with Reilly, would it?

And, indeed, the last comparison isn't very equal because it shows that we've been scoring more goals since Mullen replaced Reilly!

Mullen's Livingston tally is irrelevant.

You are comparing Mullen's last 5 games to Reilly's entire season. I could be picky and point out we've scored an average of 0.5 goals in the last two games...

The point I am making is that Reilly was banging goals in all season for us and at a time where the performance has dipped a little and some players are feeling the pressure, we shouldn't be omitting a player who has 22 goals this season. Mullen just happens to be the player who is in his position and would therefore be replaced.

Just now, Cornwall_Saint said:

Mullen's Livingston tally is irrelevant.

You are comparing Mullen's last 5 games to Reilly's entire season. I could be picky and point out we've scored an average of 0.5 goals in the last two games...

The point I am making is that Reilly was banging goals in all season for us and at a time where the performance has dipped a little and some players are feeling the pressure, we shouldn't be omitting a player who has 22 goals this season. Mullen just happens to be the player who is in his position and would therefore be replaced.

Why is Mullen's Livingston tally irrelevant? Did he not exist as a player before he joined St. Mirren? Should Liverpool not have played Mo Salah after they signed him because he hadn't scored any goals for them previously?

The reason I'm comparing Mullen's last 5 games to Reilly's entire season is because those just happen to be the games where Mullen has started ahead of Reilly.... and despite our goals per game average going up over those 5 games, you stated that Reilly's goals hadn't been replaced!

As I stated earlier, Mullen has scored 6 Championship goals this season compared with Reilly's 11. Reilly has started a lot more games as a striker than Mullen this season and has been playing in a better and more attacking side. I don't think there is a huge gulf in goalscoring potential between Mullen & Reilly. And, as I also mentioned earlier, Reilly's goals obviously have been replaced since he was dropped because our goalscoring average has gone up!

5 hours ago, billyg said:

I like Mullen but its time for Reilly to start again , as for Donati , I mentioned him last night when it looked like McGinn had a bad knock , plus I thought Flynn struggled last night against the hammer throwers , as he did against Livingston. My midfield four to start on Saturday would be Magennis , Donati , McShane and Morgan. 

Donati hasn't the legs for the engine room as he plays at the back for the U/20s

Scott Hill didn't impress either he was outshone by the young boy Erhahon who looks the part

16 minutes ago, windae cleaner said:

Donati hasn't the legs for the engine room as he plays at the back for the U/20s

Scott Hill didn't impress either he was outshone by the young boy Erhahon who looks the part

Does Ethan play in central midfield. I assumed he was a wide player.

McShane/ Flynn for me................ start Reilly, tell Lewis Brendan is watching,

Put the Championship Flag up before the match, piss off Livi, BANG we are against 10 men for 80 mins

Sorted 2-0 Saints and we go marching, or pubbing ( Any left!!!!)

Edited by DougJamie

We have three home games to settle this league once and for all. Despite the season united have had, last night was never going to be an easy option for sealing the title. We are more than capable of gaining the point required on Saturday with our home record no matter who jack fields. For my part l intend to sit back and enjoy the game as it unfolds and trust in jack.

Agreed, we got booted to bits last night, this mob will likely kick us off the park on Saturday, whilst I wonder if there may be merit in trying a different formation if we do what we are good at (moving the ball at pace on the floor) we will win the game, i’d also keep Mullin in from the start.

Guest TPAFKATS

Jack Ross post match interview after United game last night revealed that Reilly is carrying an injury and that's why he's been used sparingly recently.
Doubt he'll be starting on Saturday.

Just now, TPAFKATS said:

Jack Ross post match interview after United game last night revealed that Reilly is carrying an injury and that's why he's been used sparingly recently.
Doubt he'll be starting on Saturday.

Likewise McGinn has had a niggle. Suspended or not, I wonder if he'll feature on Saturday. He was certainly toiling a bit last night.

4 hours ago, the barrhead teacher said:

We have three home games to settle this league once and for all. Despite the season united have had, last night was never going to be an easy option for sealing the title. We are more than capable of gaining the point required on Saturday with our home record no matter who jack fields. For my part l intend to sit back and enjoy the game as it unfolds and trust in jack.

Really looking forward to this one.

What better way to win the league than playing at home against your only remaining challengers?

Lvvi are second in  the league on merit. A decent, highly motivated and very physical team

Should be a great atmosphere with three out of four sides of the ground bulging at the seams.and the drummer and singing section in full and very noisy form. 

COYS

Edited by St.Ricky

Ok plan for the worst and hope for the best ( part 2 ). Not surprised about Tannadice.
Would be more disappointed if we cannot see off Livi but given our circumstances and their style., hmm, I’m wary.
The fridge is loaded as a contingency and Monday off [emoji847]

...... just in case [emoji471]

Ok plan for the worst and hope for the best ( part 2 ). Not surprised about Tannadice.
Would be more disappointed if we cannot see off Livi but given our circumstances and their style., hmm, I’m wary.
The fridge is loaded as a contingency and Monday off [emoji847]

...... just in case [emoji471]
Very much how I see it in every respect. Fridge included.

Hope there are a few tickets left - i need at least 2, but have to discuss with my good lady first. After attending the last here "home" games at Inverness, Brechin and Dundee, she'll not be impressed by prospect of a 9hr round trip on Saturday. ...

Done - 3 tickets in the family stand.

McShane in for McGinn, and keep Mullen. Also like to see Hippo start as I think we could do with his physical presence.

Met a dude on the bus back from Brechin (Patrick) who said he was going to the San Siro this weekend but that his :heart  would be at GHR.

Any other forumsters pre-booked this weekend months ago?

:offtopicWay off-topic but I missed the 8-0 game against Clydebank in 99/00 to go to an Ayr vs Partick Thistle Cup Tie with a mate - had a great day but my heart sank a little when I heard our scoreline, probably our biggest league victory during my lifetime, but I live in hope that theres still time for a nine! 

Edited by Bud the Baker