Saint Mirren V Livingston 14 April

St.Ricky

11 minutes ago, Mr Optimistic said:

Yeah long throw ins to a team of midgets against a team of Giants. Great tactics!! Really worked on Tuesday! You're not Alex Rae are you? We have not played long ball football all season and if we do on Saturday Livi will stroll through the game.in 

In another post I said Livvi played the long ball and the long throw ins against us and the Pars...not that Saints did but I agree that as a tactic in the later stages of the United game it was worth a try. Useful to have in your locker.

Edited by St.Ricky

Reilly has also scored more against diddy teams in diddy cups and then Lothian Thistle. 
What we perhaps need is better service and quality of delivery to them when they are in and around the box.  United sat the two baldy thugs deep and negated the space  where Smith picks the ball up and runs into on Tuesday night.
29 tickets showing on website now, has W6/7 sold out?

yeah and top clubs like Aberdeen

4 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

You’re away from home, need a goal, it’s a game in hand.... Hypolyte’s long throws caused them problems, having Sutton in there to try and get onto them was a decent tactic to try on Tuesday under the particular circumstances we were in. Nearly came off too.

Couldn't disagree more. The throw ins were easily defended by United and Livi will be delighted if we resort to that on Saturday.

5 minutes ago, Mr Optimistic said:

Couldn't disagree more. The throw ins were easily defended by United and Livi will be delighted if we resort to that on Saturday.

They are frequent users of this tactic since Miller arrived. It works for Livvi

2 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Thats funny because the stats show Reilly is almost three times more likely to score. What cant talk cant lie!

That's funny cos not in the Championship they don't. What cant talk cant lie!

People continually refer to the last game we played them forgetting that in the previous 2 games we hammered them 3-1 in each game. 

We've had a great response after we lose a game this season, nothing to suggest we won't do the same this weekend.

Livingston are no world beaters, we are miles in front for a reason. 

Well Livi certainly have some tall players but they also have a few rather small players like Scott Robinson what they have is a rather well balanced well structured side who simply play to their strengths.Hopkin is a good manager who has played for Scotland Chelsea Leeds etc.He started managing at junior level and has worked his way up.He manages Livi on a small budget many of their players have part time jobs.They can only afford one full time keeper.Their reserve keeper is a friend of our family.Good luck to them but not this Saturday.

Guest TPAFKATS
Well Livi certainly have some tall players but they also have a few rather small players like Scott Robinson what they have is a rather well balanced well structured side who simply play to their strengths.Hopkin is a good manager who has played for Scotland Chelsea Leeds etc.He started managing at junior level and has worked his way up.He manages Livi on a small budget many of their players have part time jobs.They can only afford one full time keeper.Their reserve keeper is a friend of our family.Good luck to them but not this Saturday.
Yeah, I think it's noticeable that he started managing at junior level.

44 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:
4 hours ago, Frank McGarvey said:
Reilly has also scored more against diddy teams in diddy cups and then Lothian Thistle. 
What we perhaps need is better service and quality of delivery to them when they are in and around the box.  United sat the two baldy thugs deep and negated the space  where Smith picks the ball up and runs into on Tuesday night.
29 tickets showing on website now, has W6/7 sold out?

yeah and top clubs like Aberdeen

top club, not clubs.

10 of Reilly's goals this season have been against lower league opposition

Now, don't me wrong, I'm not saying that Reilly isn't effective. I think he's been great this season.

My original point was in relation to the poster who stated that Reilly's goals haven't been replaced since he was benched.

In actual fact, our goals per game average has gone UP since Reilly was benched.

And a more meaningful comparison of the goal scoring potential of Reilly v Mullen is that Mullen has 6 league goals in 17 starts (the majority with an inferior side) while Reilly has 11 in 25 starts (all with the superior side).

Mullen is a decent enough replacement for Reilly IMO based on the stats (which cant talk and cant lie apparently!)

1 hour ago, Mr Optimistic said:

In case you have not noticed Livi are a HUGE team!! We are..... well.......NOT!!!

50 minutes ago, Mid Calder Saint said:

So, Livi are not a team of giants then? :lol:

1 hour ago, Mr Optimistic said:

In case you have not noticed Livi are a HUGE team!! We are..... well.......NOT!!!

I have noticed. But also some smaller and quicker players. I have watched them in our games against us and two other games they had against the Pars. They can mix things well.

JS was brought on for these on Tuesday. Sensible I thought given the stage in the game.

Edited by St.Ricky

2 hours ago, Mr Optimistic said:

We resorted to it because we were away from home, a goal down, it was a game in hand, and we hadn’t scored. It was purely down to a particular set of circumstances we faced on Tuesday. How many other times has Jack tried long throws, from Hypolyte or anyone, launched towards Sutton? It was worth a go. In fact, we pinned them back for long periods and Hypolyte, aside from using his long throw, also cleverly skipped past two defenders before shooting instead of cutting it back. Sutton mis-controlled a chance too. It didn’t come off, but clearly, in a ‘throw the kitchen sink at it for one lousy goal’ situation, the arrival of both players saw us create goal scoring opportunites.

Edited by pozbaird

We resorted to it because we were away from home, a goal down, it was a game in hand, and we hadn’t scored. It was purely down to a particular set of circumstances we faced on Tuesday. How many other times has Jack tried long throws, from Hypolyte or anyone, launched towards Sutton? It was worth a go. In fact, we pinned them back for long periods and Hypolyte, aside from using his long throw, also cleverly skipped past two defenders before shooting instead of cutting it back. Sutton mis-controlled a chance too. It didn’t come off, but clearly, in a ‘throw the kitchen sink at it for one lousy goal’ situation, the arrival of both players saw us create goal scoring opportunites.

Agree. And there is much more to Hippo's game than long throws. He broiggt new energy and no little skill to us when he came on I'd like to see him start on Saturday.

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

I have noticed. But also some smaller and quicker players. I have watched them in our games against us and two other games they had against the Pars. They can mix things well.

JS was brought on for these on Tuesday. Sensible I thought given the stage in the game.

14 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

My point was that if we adopt the same tactics against Livi (and we surely will not) they will stroll through the game. A long throw for this St Mirren team is like having a gun with no bullet! If you do not agree then let's agree to disagree and leave it there. For the record John Sutton did not win a single header (and nor did any other St Mirren player from the throws) but did create a chance for himself. Had that gone in it really would have been Roy of the Rovers Stuff!!! (For those of you old enough to remember the comic :D)

Hypolyte did well to  get in  behind them late on but unfortunately thrashed at the ball when a little more composure was required.

If we are to beat Livi on Saturday it will be by playing football on the deck, getting in behind them and being able to cope with being kicked up and down the park.

9 minutes ago, turrabuddie said:

Agree. And there is much more to Hippo's game than long throws. He broiggt new energy and no little skill to us when he came on I'd like to see him start on Saturday.

Ok so who are you dropping from a team that has lost once at home in 14 months??? Jack has been very loyal to the players who have got us in this position so I do not see him starting. However I think he should have got longer on Tuesday and agree that he does have something to offer from the bench.

2 hours ago, MWISAINT71 said:

Let's get the ball on the carpet.  Play with pace and belief and we'll sweep them away, as long as we get protection from the ref.

I think that sums it up succinctly , couldn't have said it better myself . It would also be good if Sutton gets a goal before he leaves us for the last time. .

Edited by saintnextlifetime

Unfortunately can't get to this game. I'm working the next two Saturdays and could only get one off so I chose next week so that we could get to the Morton game.

Can't even get a drink on Saturday night to celebrate, hopefully, as I have to pick up my eldest from the Harry f**kin Styles concert in Glasgow.

Work and kids always get in the way. [emoji29]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Ok so who are you dropping from a team that has lost once at home in 14 months??? Jack has been very loyal to the players who have got us in this position so I do not see him starting. However I think he should have got longer on Tuesday and agree that he does have something to offer from the bench.

I feel admit I don't know who I'd drop to get Hippo in, especially if McGinn isn't available.
But that's Jacks job.

As we know a draw will suit us. I also think a draw will also suit Livi since 2nd place is what they want so they would play less games in the playoff.  At the k/o, I reckon both captains will give a wee nod and a wink to each other and both teams will end up playing the same way West Germany v Austria did in 1982 and everybody goes home a winner  :cheers