Reasonable Force

faraway saint

A 78 year old man stabbed a burglar who later died defending his home and wife in London.

He's was arrested on suspicion of murder and has been bailed. 

Reasonable Force is described as:

• protect yourself ‘in the heat of the moment’ - this includes using an object as a weapon
  • stop an intruder running off - eg tackle them to the ground

There’s no specific definition of ‘reasonable force’ - it depends on the circumstances. If you only did what you honestly thought was necessary at the time, this would provide strong evidence that you acted within the law. 

I say unlucky on the burglar, he'll not be stealing from people in the future. <_<

I read the burglar came in armed with a screwdriver then got the screwdriver turned on him.

If that's the case that he came in with a weapon then got his own weapon turned on him then there is absolutely no case for the guy to get charged with anything let alone murder imo.

Force used has to be proportional to the threat. If he punched the guy, knocked him down, picked up the screwdriver and then stabbed him that is not proportional. He had the upper hand and took advantage.

If the guy was trying to stab him and he managed to turn the weapon on the guy and had no other option but to stab him to stop being stabbed himself then that is proportional and reasonable.

stabbing burglars is not deemed reasonable under law unless they are trying to kill you.

No idea what happened in this case, so can't comment on if it was proportionate or not.

Edited by East Lothian Saint

So a 78 year old man gets burgled and  attacked in his own home by two men (one of whom is less than half his age ) In the ensuing struggle as the man fights to protect himself and his possesions the scummy bastard who broke in apparantly gets stabbed by his own weapon and dies. 

Give the old guy a f**kin Medal. One less oxygen thief to worry about .  I have no sympathy at all.

1 minute ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

So a 78 year old man gets burgled and  attacked in his own home by two men (one of whom is less than half his age ) In the ensuing struggle as the man fights to protect himself and his possesions the scummy bastard who broke in apparantly gets stabbed by his own weapon and dies. 

Give the old guy a f**kin Medal. One less oxygen thief to worry about .  I have no sympathy at all.

He  has infringed the burglars rights probably. I am sure there will be some EU/ Human Rights law that will entitle the scums family to millions in compensation

Just now, DougJamie said:

He  has infringed the burglars rights probably. I am sure there will be some EU/ Human Rights law that will entitle the scums family to millions in compensation

Cue the candlelit Vigil and local florists coining it in as tributes pile up on the pavement outside for the "really nice guy who was everyones friend  !" -_- 

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

So, glad to say, the consensus is the 78 year old is totally innocent of a crime and the scum that got it deserved all he got.

I'm easily in the "I'd do the same" boat, and piss on him as he lay bleeding. :thumbs2

Agree but I would set fire to him then piss on him, saving the tax payer money on burying the waste of space  

1 minute ago, DougJamie said:

Agree but I would set fire to him then piss on him, saving the tax payer money on burying the waste of space  

Feck that's the house insurance quotes going up. Cost of clearing up the Housebreaking was bad enough but now everyone's setting fire to their carpets and pissing on them the premiums definitely going up.

Just now, East Lothian Saint said:

Feck that's the house insurance quotes going up. Cost of clearing up the Housebreaking was bad enough but now everyone's setting fire to their carpets and pissing on them the premiums definitely going up.

Would it help if I dragged him out to the bottom of the garden, then set fire to him, maybe scatter the ashes on the roses ?

4 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Would it help if I dragged him out to the bottom of the garden, then set fire to him, maybe scatter the ashes on the roses ?

Much better. 

There is the question of Reasonable force though.

A character reference from Alan Titchmarch or Charlie Dimmock confirming dead burglar is good for the roses would swing it in your favour

10 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

So, glad to say, the consensus is the 78 year old is totally innocent of a crime and the scum that got it deserved all he got.

I'm easily in the "I'd do the same" boat, and piss on him as he lay bleeding. :thumbs2

I think he died outside in the street so the cops would likely charged the auld guy for public indecency if he did that :rolleyes:  Doubt there is a jury in the country that would find him guilty and I would expect the charge to be withdrawn soon.

39 minutes ago, renfrew said:

I think he died outside in the street so the cops would likely charged the auld guy for public indecency if he did that :rolleyes:  Doubt there is a jury in the country that would find him guilty and I would expect the charge to be withdrawn soon.

Tony Martin probably thought that as well.

If someone is thick enough and nasty enough to break into your house, they deserve whatever injuries they get. I've got a family to protect, I'll do whatever is necessary if an incident happens, and would feel no guilt if I killed the thief. Good on the 78yo man, he did what was right to protect what was his. f**k the thiefs.

42 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Maybe he did but Martin shot someone who was outside his house which is different from killing someone inside with the weapon that they brought with them.

2 hours ago, East Lothian Saint said:

Force used has to be proportional to the threat. If he punched the guy, knocked him down, picked up the screwdriver and then stabbed him that is not proportional. He had the upper hand and took advantage.

If the guy was trying to stab him and he managed to turn the weapon on the guy and had no other option but to stab him to stop being stabbed himself then that is proportional and reasonable.

stabbing burglars is not deemed reasonable under law unless they are trying to kill you.

No idea what happened in this case, so can't comment on if it was proportionate or not.

The voice of sanity.

On the surface it sounds like the old guy is innocent but we don't know all the facts yet.

From the photos I've seen of the old guy mind you, he looks like a cunt.

58 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

The law has changed since Tony Martin was convicted. .

It’s believed the Tony Martin and other similar cases played a role in the 2012 law to give extra legal protection to householders who attack burglars.

The Criminal Law (Defence and Dwelling) Act 2011 allows for a person to use reasonable force in defending their home in order to protect themselves and their property.

The Act says that a person is not obligated to retreat from their home if there is an intruder.

Tony Martin welcomed the law, saying people should not “live in fear in their home”.

If you kill someone, you will be arrested and questioned. There is nothing wrong with what happened to the old man.

Facts need to be established.  Surely people don't expect him to get a pat on the back and sent back to bed as if nothing happened?

As far as I'm aware, he was arrested then released and hasn't been charged. All seems pretty normal to me.

28 minutes ago, saintnextlifetime said:

The law has changed since Tony Martin was convicted. .

It’s believed the Tony Martin and other similar cases played a role in the 2012 law to give extra legal protection to householders who attack burglars.

The Criminal Law (Defence and Dwelling) Act 2011 allows for a person to use reasonable force in defending their home in order to protect themselves and their property.

The Act says that a person is not obligated to retreat from their home if there is an intruder.

Tony Martin welcomed the law, saying people should not “live in fear in their home”.

I think what you're Quoting is Irish Law as in not Scottish or English law. It doesn't apply here only the Irish Statute books.