Atmosphere in the Stadium

When I was sitting through the dull first half last night my mind wandered off and I was looking at the roofs on the stands. I noticed that they are straight girders with some sheeting on top. Compare these to the two away stands I have been in in the last couple of weeks and the difference is an apex roof running along the length meaning that there is a flat bit which would reflect sound back towards you. Could this be why the general atmosphere around the ground is quiet barring the W7 boys?

I suspect that to put a skirt on the front of the roof would possibly reflect some of the noise back in to the stands creating a louder experience on the pitch.

Any scientists out there who could confirm or denounce this theory?

4 minutes ago, Desnold said:

When I was sitting through the dull first half last night my mind wandered off and I was looking at the roofs on the stands. I noticed that they are straight girders with some sheeting on top. Compare these to the two away stands I have been in in the last couple of weeks and the difference is an apex roof running along the length meaning that there is a flat bit which would reflect sound back towards you. Could this be why the general atmosphere around the ground is quiet barring the W7 boys?

I suspect that to put a skirt on the front of the roof would possibly reflect some of the noise back in to the stands creating a louder experience on the pitch.

Christ...you must have been bored at that game last night :rolleyes:

Edited by LargsBud

The acoustics seem better in the North and South Stands. 

W7 dudes get drowned out every time by sometimes even a handful of away fans. 

Always said our Singers should be in the Family Stand. 

There is stacks of room there. 

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Sitting in W2 I can't hear any of the 'atmosphere' being generated by the singing section / drummers. The noise just doesn't seem to travel down to the opposite end of the same stand.

Not complaining mind you.

:D

From W1 no singing can be heard from W7 

Being a musician myself, I always like to hear back when I’m playing/singing. Some sort of addition to the structure to reflect some of the sound back in to the stand would help I think. The shed at Tannadice has roughly the same number of rows of seats and that was rockin last Tuesday.
Re my boredom in the first half, I think I may have over indulged that being my 4th game in 10 days. I can see why players need a rest [emoji2]

The shallow gradient of the stands resulting from height restrictions and planning build obviously limit the atmosphere experienced throughout the place.

Always said it, stands at Greenhell are way too shallow, hate the place but at least JR and co have made it feel ok results wise.

What they have at the three sided Grangemouth stadium with sidings would have been the desired stand shape and spec for us but hay hoh, that’s all water under the relocation bridge.

What we have presently is a shallow wind tunnel, but it’s our shallow wind tunnel and we win in it.

Some sort of encapsulation to the sides would unquestionably benefit in maintaining some of the level of decibels generated.

1 hour ago, Desnold said:

Can you explain how reflecting noise back into the stands would create a louder experience on the pitch? Do you not think that a skirt on the front of the roof would obscure the view of those sitting in the upper rows of the stands?

6 minutes ago, smcc said:

Can you explain how reflecting noise back into the stands would create a louder experience on the pitch? Do you not think that a skirt on the front of the roof would obscure the view of those sitting in the upper rows of the stands?

Some would maybe prefer looking up a skirt. 

I would be annoyed at not being able to count planes. 

Guest TPAFKATS
Sitting in M2 (?) I dont find them drowned out by away fans unless it's similar numbers. Must just be acoustics.

Guest TPAFKATS
Being a musician myself, I always like to hear back when I’m playing/singing. Some sort of addition to the structure to reflect some of the sound back in to the stand would help I think. The shed at Tannadice has roughly the same number of rows of seats and that was rockin last Tuesday.
Re my boredom in the first half, I think I may have over indulged that being my 4th game in 10 days. I can see why players need a rest [emoji2]
I'm sure the shed behind the goals at Tannadice has more rows of seats than our stands which, I think, are only 14 rows.

Away fans tend to be a bit more noisy. At Tannadice for example we were grouped together. Front to back the shed has more rows but is shorter in length as it sits at one end of the pitch. This and our state of anticipation added to the noise levels.

I sit in W2 and the noise from the drum and singing section can be heard but not loudly. I think the noise probably projects better onto the pitch. Fans at home games are more spread out due to the design and seem less willing to join in the singing etc than those who travel. At least it seems like that. The recipe for improving the atmosphere maybe lies with each of us joining in and making a noise. Sitting seems to have changed behaviours too. Almost everyone in the Shed at Tannadice stood rather than sat.

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Sitting in W2 I can't hear any of the 'atmosphere' being generated by the singing section / drummers. The noise just doesn't seem to travel down to the opposite end of the same stand.

Not complaining mind you.

:D

Me either in W1.  Certainly like the singing but I hate the drum  :thumbsdown

2 hours ago, shull said:

Seven planes oot 

Eight planes in 

How about a 10ft high fence/netting fitted at the front edge of the 4 stand roofs.

It won't help the atmosphere, but it might help stop the balls being regularly booted out of the stadium.

I counted 4 out of bounds last night - while Shull was counting his planes.

15 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

How about a 10ft high fence/netting fitted at the front edge of the 4 stand roofs.

It won't help the atmosphere, but it might help stop the balls being regularly booted out of the stadium.

I counted 4 out of bounds last night - while Shull was counting his planes.

We get most of the balls back right enough and even if we did start to struggle... SMISA? 

4 hours ago, Desnold said:

Personally I would move the drummer and his pals to the centre of the main stand (I'd move from my seat).

Or have a "Drum Stand" where you must have a drum to enter. 

I'm auld and deaf so it would't bother me.

Also a "Drum Stand" would confuse the Govanites.

14 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
2 hours ago, shull said:

Sitting in M2 (?) I dont find them drowned out by away fans unless it's similar numbers. Must just be acoustics.

The sound will tend to go out the way rather than along I think , Tony .

2 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Away fans tend to be a bit more noisy. At Tannadice for example we were grouped together. Front to back the shed has more rows but is shorter in length as it sits at one end of the pitch. This and our state of anticipation added to the noise levels.

I sit in W2 and the noise from the drum and singing section can be heard but not loudly. I think the noise probably projects better onto the pitch. Fans at home games are more spread out due to the design and seem less willing to join in the singing etc than those who travel. At least it seems like that. The recipe for improving the atmosphere maybe lies with each of us joining in and making a noise. Sitting seems to have changed behaviours too. Almost everyone in the Shed at Tannadice stood rather than sat.

Agree with this. Before I relocated I always found the away atmosphere better than at home, I guess as an away day it's more of a day out sort of thing than the usual same auld journey to a home game.

I probably miss away games more than home games, cannae beat a great away day.

I’m sure Tannadice was only about 15/16 rows so not too different. I think a bit of ‘fold back’ of sound makes it seem louder to those sitting around singers which would maybe encourage more to join in. Dropping a say three or four foot skirt onto the front of the roof wouldn’t block anyone’s view as the roof slopes up towards the pitch.
If you think back to the north Bank even when seated singing spread along the length of it. The front of the roof slopes down which would reflect a bit of sound back in to the stand increasing the number of singers and creating a louder noise on the pitch.
The more I think about this the more I’m convincing myself that it would work. Perhaps some young student of acoustics or waves or something like that could shed some light on it [emoji41][emoji209][emoji209][emoji209]

2 minutes ago, LargsBud said:

It would improve if everybody started singing. The guys in the middle of the west stand hardly sing any more. Its the same guys who used to create a good atmosphere in the North Bank at Love Street. Maybe age has got the better of them :P

Raised this point a couple of posts back. It's up to us as fans to make the noise!

Maybe the singing section is a two edged sword and others leave it to then. 

I sit in W2 and am older now myself but still join in.  

Sobriety,  sitting rather than standing and acoustics might also play a part in football being more muted these days.