Atmosphere in the Stadium

Do you really go to any games? :blink:

I think there is definitely a lot more sober people at home games than away games.

Away games people tend to get a bus or train and make a day of it. Home games I can leave my house at half 2 take the car or get a train, bypass the pub and be in my seat for 3pm.

My other half knows not to arrange anything with me if I'm at an away game but generally can plan pre and post match things if it's a home game.

4 minutes ago, Hambud said:

I think there is definitely a lot more sober people at home games than away games.

Away games people tend to get a bus or train and make a day of it. Home games I can leave my house at half 2 take the car or get a train, bypass the pub and be in my seat for 3pm.

My other half knows not to arrange anything with me if I'm at an away game but generally can plan pre and post match things if it's a home game.

I don't bother with home games, the continual abuse and whining aimed at players and managers put me right off.

Away games are, IMO, spoilt by the exuberance :rolleyes: fuelled by bevvy.

Obviously very subjective, although a breathalyser might tell another story. 

Everyone sees things differently, no problem with that. 

7 hours ago, Desnold said:

Being a musician myself, I always like to hear back when I’m playing/singing. Some sort of addition to the structure to reflect some of the sound back in to the stand would help I think. The shed at Tannadice has roughly the same number of rows of seats and that was rockin last Tuesday.
Re my boredom in the first half, I think I may have over indulged that being my 4th game in 10 days. I can see why players need a rest emoji2.png

When the crowd in the west stand sing as one it doesn't need reflective noise. It was good enough when we all  stood up and sang together. It was almost a shame it was curtailed by the McGennis substitution.

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

I don't bother with home games, the continual abuse and whining aimed at players and managers put me right off.

Away games are, IMO, spoilt by the exuberance :rolleyes: fuelled by bevvy.

Obviously very subjective, although a breathalyser might tell another story. 

Everyone sees things differently, no problem with that. 

Some sense in what you say F Man for at least a section of support still but stick with the point that fewer people are drinking before matches, particularly at home. Away games are perhaps different, particularly those some distance from Paisley and where more buses are running. Still these seem to have been trouble free and apparently without causing much in the way of complaint.

Moaning about managers in particular had become almost a blood spirt at home games. Thankfully not at present!

Never have agreed with giving our own players stick during a game. Can't think of anything less productive.

Never had the need to drink to loosen m6 own inhibitions and sing... . Despite being an awful singer.....when watching Saints. 

More singing please.

Especially from us sober old gits.

Edited by St.Ricky

Guest TPAFKATS
I’m sure Tannadice was only about 15/16 rows so not too different. I think a bit of ‘fold back’ of sound makes it seem louder to those sitting around singers which would maybe encourage more to join in. Dropping a say three or four foot skirt onto the front of the roof wouldn’t block anyone’s view as the roof slopes up towards the pitch.
If you think back to the north Bank even when seated singing spread along the length of it. The front of the roof slopes down which would reflect a bit of sound back in to the stand increasing the number of singers and creating a louder noise on the pitch.
The more I think about this the more I’m convincing myself that it would work. Perhaps some young student of acoustics or waves or something like that could shed some light on it [emoji41][emoji209][emoji209][emoji209]
It seemed more but I might've been taking 2 steps forward and 1 back [emoji481]

I’d tend to agree. I used to meet my mate in the Bank house, have a couple of pints, then stroll down Love Street to enjoy the match. Since we moved to Greenhill road I think I have had a pre match pint once other than my visit to hospitality in the ground on Saturday there. Picked the right game[emoji41][emoji209][emoji41][emoji209]

W7 has made a difference. If maintained, It will also benefit the atmosphere longer term as it means kids who want a sing song for 90mins know where to go. It's also closest to away fans which makes a big difference, particularly when the  larger away crowds visit next season.

The fence in the old  North Bank was a draw for those reasons.

When we moved to the new stadium, there wasn't anything designated and fans spread about, so old habits were lost along with that focal point.

Away games tend to be better atmospheres, because the away support is more concentrated, often had a few beers and feed off each other more than at home. Conversely, at Brechin recently we were spread around three sides of the park and the normal away atmosphere suffered.

Incidentally, I hope to fu©k  on Saturday that no dross music is played over the PA system when the team raise the trophy and do their lap of honour. The music after the Livi game was horrendous, killing any opportunity for the crowd to actually create an atmosphere by belting out the songbook.

Edited by bungle_1981

1 hour ago, bungle_1981 said:

W7 has made a difference. If maintained, It will also benefit the atmosphere longer term as it means kids who want a sing song for 90mins know where to go. It's also closest to away fans which makes a big difference, particularly when the  larger away crowds visit next season.

The fence in the old  North Bank was a draw for those reasons.

When we moved to the new stadium, there wasn't anything designated and fans spread about, so old habits were lost along with that focal point.

Away games tend to be better atmospheres, because the away support is more concentrated, often had a few beers and feed off each other more than at home. Conversely, at Brechin recently we were spread around three sides of the park and the normal away atmosphere suffered.

Incidentally, I hope to fu©k  on Saturday that no dross music is played over the PA system when the team raise the trophy and do their lap of honour. The music after the Livi game was horrendous, killing any opportunity for the crowd to actually create an atmosphere by belting out the songbook.

Couldn't agree more about the music after the game..........get it to fcuk.

us W4 folk do sing..well some of us and I think it was my pal Darn that was doing Opera - it sounds like him tbh even tho I cannae rememeber. we here W7 but  not always loud and sometimes w4 and w7 are singing different songs.

Away games - defo more drunkness which can make folk sing or sing more.

ABSOLUTELY AGREE - with no feckin music at end of game. As soon as it came on Saturday I thought oh f**k off and let the singing take over. Kills it! nae need! get it aff!!!

I see from Twitter there's been another issue with the guys in the singing section, although not sure what. Saw the supporters liaison officer and a director saying they couldn't reply as the initial post was private.

The amount of obstacles these guys seem to have negotiate on an almost weekly basis considering there has been sod all trouble from them. The only thing I can really think of was the banner at the Morton game and even that seems someone in officialdom getting on their high horse. They have done a great job to improve the atmosphere at the stadium yet someone from up high - be it at the club, in the police or elsewhere - seems desperate to make things as hard as possible for them, perhaps in the hope they'll give up.

54 minutes ago, Stu said:

I see from Twitter there's been another issue with the guys in the singing section, although not sure what. Saw the supporters liaison officer and a director saying they couldn't reply as the initial post was private.

The amount of obstacles these guys seem to have negotiate on an almost weekly basis considering there has been sod all trouble from them. The only thing I can really think of was the banner at the Morton game and even that seems someone in officialdom getting on their high horse. They have done a great job to improve the atmosphere at the stadium yet someone from up high - be it at the club, in the police or elsewhere - seems desperate to make things as hard as possible for them, perhaps in the hope they'll give up.

I think the young lads now have their megaphone/loudhailer banned due to some ridiculous rule..

I know Jack, James and the team deserve most of the plaudits this season and rightly so but the Northbank lads need some recognition also, especially from the club. Without them i doubt we'd have seen the sort of fight and spirit on the park we see most Saturdays. It's no coincidence that on the park performances were upped as soon as the lads started their W7 section with the drum. The atmosphere they create is terrific.

This is the first time since moving i feel that supporters, directors and the playing staff all have a solid connection and there is a real feel good factor at the club again that was missing for a long, long time. I really hope the club make life a little bit easier for the lads next season and give them free reign to organise W7 how they like - within the laws - as we're at risk of alienating them if they keep getting dug up for nonsense rulings every so often.

Edited by Spam_Valley

6 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

I enjoy a pre match drink you never hear me shouting abuse I see having a pre- match drink as part of my social day out and long may it continue when getting to games. I know plenty buds who are the same.

IOBS

No issue with me on this. Having a pre match drink is not a problem. Would be even better if that could be at the stadium. Certainly not moralising about it. Big difference between having a couple of drinks and being drunk.

Over the years I have followed St Mirren more people now seem to drive to games than did in the past. Saints supporters are maybe also more scattered than they were and fewer of us are in big workplaces since industries have declined so going to games is a more solitary thing for many people.

Since numbered seating was introduced back at Love Street it has been more difficult for people to congregate within the ground. Hat's off to those in W7 who have persevered and helped to stimulate crowd noise and positive interaction. 

Our away support has grown this year and more fans are travelling by train and supporters buses. These fans have more opportunity to drink. As long as they do so within the law and without causing offence or harm to others or themselves then good luck to them. The backing they gave to the team at Inverness and Tannadice recently was outstanding. 

More people singing, clapping and joining in can only enhance the atmosphere for all and help cut out some of the negativity directed to managers or players which has added nothing to the match day experience in the past.

Edited by St.Ricky

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Yeah club banned megaphone, not entirely sure why. We've used it almost all season so that we can self police the section/start songs etc. They gave us the reason that people can't hear the tannoy (?)

On a personal level, I hate when drama erupts on social media, but there's been so many weird decisions this season that we're getting a bit sick of it. Fair enough the Morton banner was a bit close to the edge, but our behaviour has been almost perfect all season. The megaphone actually helps us to keep control. To give an example, a wee guy (no older than 12/13) was throwing gummy sweets towards the park at one of the games, having the megaphone allows us to shout "quit it", or words to that effect. Not having that is increasing the risk of someone doing something daft (especially against that lot when everyones been drinking before the game)

Constantly being made to jump through hoops gets a bit draining

1 hour ago, Doakes said:

Yeah club banned megaphone, not entirely sure why. We've used it almost all season so that we can self police the section/start songs etc. They gave us the reason that people can't hear the tannoy (?)

On a personal level, I hate when drama erupts on social media, but there's been so many weird decisions this season that we're getting a bit sick of it. Fair enough the Morton banner was a bit close to the edge, but our behaviour has been almost perfect all season. The megaphone actually helps us to keep control. To give an example, a wee guy (no older than 12/13) was throwing gummy sweets towards the park at one of the games, having the megaphone allows us to shout "quit it", or words to that effect. Not having that is increasing the risk of someone doing something daft (especially against that lot when everyones been drinking before the game)

Constantly being made to jump through hoops gets a bit draining

From an old git in W2.......keep making the effort to work with the club. 

I love the enthusiasm.