Punt or Keep - Summer 2018 edition

Can't agree mate. There is no room for sentiment in football, especially with funds as tight as they are for provincial clubs and Jack Ross in already publicly identifying that he needs in the region of 9 new players is surely also of this opinion given we already have a fairly large squad. He'll almost certainly trim several bodies to bring new guys in.
Guys like Gus McPherson stuck with certain players for far too long as they ticked us over and gave us 11th place year in, year out.
I think Jack already has a clear vision of who he wants to keep and who he wants to move on. I'd imagine a few of those he wants to move on will have some time remaining on their deals and the fact that they have just been in a squad that won the Championship means that they'll get a pretty decent crack at potential new clubs.
Im just a sentimental so n so :). I genuinley think the team out on sat would give all bottom 6 clubs a run for their money. Add a few good eggs with the right style and just maybe.

8 minutes ago, SaintGlenburn said:

I think the below squad plus 6 new prem standard signings

Prem standard GK
Sammy

Prem Std RB/LB :)
Stelios
Eckersley
Prem Std CB
Bairdy
Davis

McGinn
Prem Std LM
MaGennis
Mcshane
Flynn
Prem Std CM
Hippo

Smith
Mullen
Prem Std CF
Reilly

The types of player i would add would be GK sammy younger, RB/LB Thistle have a few good uns, CB Scott Cuthbert type, CM someone like Dorman, LM Lewis if possible?, CF Thommo type.

Retaining  this group would keep the fantastic team spirit that exists at the club. I would bring back Liam Smith if possible. Robbie Muirhead is being discussed elesewhere and looks ideal. I think there is a strong arguement to show loyalty and add a bit of genuine extra quality.

11 minutes ago, SaintGlenburn said:

Im just a sentimental so n so :). I genuinley think the team out on sat would give all bottom 6 clubs a run for their money. Add a few good eggs with the right style and just maybe.

Again. I don't think it would. We've played Premier League sides on a few occasions this season and lost comfortably every single time. I don't think that would necessarily be the rule next season with the squad we have but the gaffer has already said we're going up to aim for more than scraping by. The squad we have just now would lose a fair bit more than they'd win when stepping up in quality.

IMO, at present, we have about 5 or 6 guys in the entire squad who will be here next season that are more than likely Premier League capable (Samson, Davis, Flynn, McGinn, Magennis, C.Smith)

Most of the rest are guys who may or may not be either due to age, injury history or lack of experience at that level and I agree that most will rightfully stay but some won't. It's at this point the manager would need to judge who definitely warrants a chance (guys like Mullen, Baird, possibly Reilly) and for whom it might just be a step up in quality that they won't be able to make.

Edited by djchapsticks

21 minutes ago, magnus said:

Who would be a manager. I would hate to be Jack Ross calling in any of those guys who have given so much and tell them that the journey is over.

I felt bad enough making some brutal decisions on FIFA 16 as I was raising Plymouth Argyle through the leagues :lol:

I can't imagine actually having to bring in a player who's given so much over the last 18 months and say to him "Cheers for everything, but you ain't staying". You'd feel like a right proper c**t. 

11 hours ago, SaintGlenburn said:

I think the play offs will give us a better idea of how our current team might fare next season. I have a feeling that whoever gets to play the second bottom from the Premier league will take a pasting.

3 hours ago, Desnold said:

I think the play offs will give us a better idea of how our current team might fare next season. I have a feeling that whoever gets to play the second bottom from the Premier league will take a pasting.

Don't think any team has went up in the play off's and can't see it this time. 

I am categorically not saying we do not need to strengthen but I won't be using the games this season against Premier League clubs as a gauge of how we rate. Elsewhere I pointed out who played for us in two (PT & Dee) of those pre League season games of which the majority of those players did not play consistently or even inconsistently again this season. Many that did play in those two games are/would be binned even if we did not get promoted - Sutton, Ross Stewart *2, Kirkpatrick, Whyte, McPherson, Hilson, Buchanan, O'Keefe, Irvine, Todd, Trialist and maybe a couple more.

We were well beaten by Aberdeen who had the same score against Hibs within a week so again not a great comparison of how we will fare.

Edited by Sonny

18 hours ago, shull said:

Stelios is fair game for criticism for his mistakes. 

The guy who is in goals and has made many more mistakes is absolutely immune from criticism. 

Some dudes think he is God. 

I can think of another player absolutely immune from criticism :lol: 

Whilst I hear and agree with some on here, we also have look at who has improved under Jack.

Teams that do well are teams that get better, and the one thing Jack has installed is players improving............. When we played Dons and we competed for the first 45 mins I thought we had some stand out successes, Cammy, McGinn and MacGinnes are good enough to build a team around........

No reason why Sammy cant have another great season, the Premiership is his level, but also like to see Cammie Bell..... Davis, Mackenzie are big  commanding strong players, Flynn and Mullen for me are already there. Myles also has been brought in for next season and Reilly surely has done enough to get a chance at this level

So that's 9 players and 9 positions, and Jack says 9 players required, giving us a squad of 18. We need Full Backs, if we can get Smith great, also I would take Ralston on loan at United...... Also love Naismith back from County

If McGinn sells, we can then look at English League 2 players, a big CF, another solid midfielder or 2, and another CH, so that's pretty much the 9, also depends on who goes down, there are some good players at Thistle and Accies that we could probably afford......

Great thing is, this is already being planned and discussed because we were the first team in the UK to be crowned champs, so we have a head start

19 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Whilst I hear and agree with some on here, we also have look at who has improved under Jack.

Teams that do well are teams that get better, and the one thing Jack has installed is players improving............. When we played Dons and we competed for the first 45 mins I thought we had some stand out successes, Cammy, McGinn and MacGinnes are good enough to build a team around........

No reason why Sammy cant have another great season, the Premiership is his level, but also like to see Cammie Bell..... Davis, Mackenzie are big  commanding strong players, Flynn and Mullen for me are already there. Myles also has been brought in for next season and Reilly surely has done enough to get a chance at this level

So that's 9 players and 9 positions, and Jack says 9 players required, giving us a squad of 18. We need Full Backs, if we can get Smith great, also I would take Ralston on loan at United...... Also love Naismith back from County

If McGinn sells, we can then look at English League 2 players, a big CF, another solid midfielder or 2, and another CH, so that's pretty much the 9, also depends on who goes down, there are some good players at Thistle and Accies that we could probably afford......

Great thing is, this is already being planned and discussed because we were the first team in the UK to be crowned champs, so we have a head start

Not saying I agree or disagree with the 9 you think we are keeping but no Premiership teams operate with a squad of 18 - it will be at least 22

I do agree that we will be intending to improve significantly though.

I also hope we sign someone a lot better than Naismith for RB..

23 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Not saying I agree or disagree with the 9 you think we are keeping but no Premiership teams operate with a squad of 18 - it will be at least 22

I do agree that we will be intending to improve significantly though.

I also hope we sign someone a lot better than Naismith for RB..

Rumour is Naismith is going down south. 

On Sportsound last night Yogi was talking about unsung heroes from smaller clubs not being nominated for POTY. The example he gave was Naismith who has had an outstanding season for RC. I would happily welcome Jason back but think he will be moving South.

17 minutes ago, Sonny said:

On Sportsound last night Yogi was talking about unsung heroes from smaller clubs not being nominated for POTY. The example he gave was Naismith who has had an outstanding season for RC. I would happily welcome Jason back but think he will be moving South.

Aye and we all know that Yogi is like - did well at Raith... couldn't manage a ... wouldn't take any advice from him etc...

I do not need Yogi's advice. I watched Jason play for us for two years in the Premier League where he was our regular full back and hardly missed a game (2013-2015). He has played consistenlty for RC this season getting plaudits from many commentators. A great addition to the squad if he signed but he'll get better offers.

2 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Aye and we all know that Yogi is like - did well at Raith... couldn't manage a ... wouldn't take any advice from him etc...

1 minute ago, Sonny said:

I do not need Yogi's advice. I watched Jason play for us for two years in the Premier League where he was our regular full back and hardly missed a game (2013-2015). He has played consistenlty for RC this season getting plaudits from many commentators. A great addition to the squad if he signed but he'll get better offers.

I am not saying Jason is crap - I have watched him loads too.

He has played at the wrong end of the table all his career - maybe going down south it will be different?

For me he is another decent full back (I think about the same ability as Paul McGinn) - there are loads of them out there at that level, and he could easily fill 1 of our 4 FB places in the squad - but I am hoping we get someone even better. Is it a crime to hope for better?

Let's see what the management manage to sign?

Just now, pod said:

Are we not far enough south of Dingwall.   :)

Sadly no. Jason is only 23 and has played for Scotland U17, U18, U20 and U21. I am sure his last 18 months in the Premiership has helped his development. Would love to see him back as he would be a great addition but doubt it will happen. Would I take Jason over Liam Smith? - Yes.  And he is also a Buddie.

27 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Sadly no. Jason is only 23 and has played for Scotland U17, U18, U20 and U21. I am sure his last 18 months in the Premiership has helped his development. Would love to see him back as he would be a great addition but doubt it will happen. Would I take Jason over Liam Smith? - Yes.  And he is also a Buddie.

Agree Jason is one of County diamonds. 

On 4/20/2018 at 8:07 AM, Cornwall_Saint said:

I know I'm not one who can attend games often so watching Saints is limited to tv and highlights, but I cannot understand how people rate Mullen higher than Reilly. Gavin is the first striker since the 90s to score 20+ goals for Saints, Mullen has been with us since November and scored twice. What does Mullen add that Reilly doesn't? What are those who can attend games seeing that I can't?

Anyone who witnessed today's match and thinks Mullen is an upgrade on Reilly is utterly deluded.

4 hours ago, Jack the lad said:

Anyone who witnessed today's match and thinks Mullen is an upgrade on Reilly is utterly deluded.

And also anyone who thinks Hippo could replace Morgy  is in the same bracket!

Edited by Frank McGarvey' wonky legs