Favourite Championship win of this Millennium ?

Favourite Championship win of this Millennium.  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1999-2000 was my favourite. Me and my mates were just the right age for it and I pretty much went to every game that year. It all came out the blue, after so many years of pure shite we were all of a sudden this swaggering, free scoring juggernaut. It awesome. 

This season is probably just about my second favourite, especially coming straight after the great escape, though I actually think the team of 2005-06 was probably the best team out of the three.  Broadfoot, Lappin, Adam, Murray, Van Zanten and Sutton were all very good players and the 2005 edition of each would definitely get a game for us now. 

1 hour ago, norman said:

1999-2000 was my favourite. Me and my mates were just the right age for it and I pretty much went to every game that year. It all came out the blue, after so many years of pure shite we were all of a sudden this swaggering, free scoring juggernaut. It awesome. 

This season is probably just about my second favourite, especially coming straight after the great escape, though I actually think the team of 2005-06 was probably the best team out of the three.  Broadfoot, Lappin, Adam, Murray, Van Zanten and Sutton were all very good players and the 2005 edition of each would definitely get a game for us now. 

My thoughts exactly, Bud! 

Anyone voting for anything other than 99-2000 is presumably too young to remember it.

The great escape of last season when we finally unleashed Mallan and Morgan together is the only thing that compares.

Everything under Gus was miserable, even winning the league!*

This season was ok, but there was no real competition after January and we stuttered over the line rather than the grand finish of 2000.

* for the benefit of the forum thickos, thats a joke.

They've all been great and similar in that you don't really enjoy them properly until it's "arithmetically" impossible to be caught. Only then can you relax and celebrate. Like others I agree that the millennium campaign was the best, fantastic free scoring (the bubble didnae burst). This one and 2005/06 were great too, with this one my 2nd favourite due to the 16 month run... relentless.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Nothing tops the Millennium season.

The sheer number of goals both for and against, the dynamic of that team, the drama and the run in that saw some massive late winners against Raith, Falkirk and Ayr. 

Sometimes I wonder if I view the millennium champions through the rose tinted specs of nostalgia, but looking back on this season, we didn't really have a "Mendes at Starks" or "McKnight at Somerset " moment. The closest really was probably coming back from 2-0 down at Palmerston. We were really good this season, and both this team and the 2006 team are undoubtedly far better equipped for the Premiership, but the drama of the 99-00 season is unbeatable.

I was only 7 when we won the league in 99-00 and had yet to attend a football match so I can't really count that in anything.

Out of the other two, it has to be this one. Purely because of where we were last season and the belief that League One was going to be a reality. To turn things around so quickly and see this as the end result is fascinating.

Not to say 05-06 wasn't special though. A cup double with a brilliant day out at Airdrie for the final (it was the first time I seen us lift silverware), and that day we pumped Motherwell 3-0 in the Scottish Cup was exhilerating.

Agree with Norman. Like you, me and my mates were a great age for it. Went to all the matches home and away, drank huge amounts of beer in various towns I had never been too. All 4 of the Raith Rovers matches were memorable but McKnights winner st Somerset was probably the highlight although.

This season has been pretty f**kin awesome too![emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Black & White Army mobile app

We hadn't even hinted at a legitimate promotion challenge for years prior to 99/00, and the lack of any pre-season expectation whatsoever makes it different from the other title years.

It was the first proper Saints bandwagon season for a generation of fans who may have witnessed good sides in the top flight, but had yet to see a Saints team win most weeks, dominate a title race and take hordes of fans everywhere we went. All completely out of the blue. 99/00 reset expectations that had long since waned about what a St Mirren team ought to be achieving.

When we had a good sides under McFarlane, Miller, etc, I used to love a good Scottish Cup tie, away from home against a diddy outfit, with thousands of travelling fans on hand.

99/00 was like a whole season's worth of cup ties away to diddy sides.

7 hours ago, Buffs said:

Agree with Norman. Like you, me and my mates were a great age for it. Went to all the matches home and away, drank huge amounts of beer in various towns I had never been too. All 4 of the Raith Rovers matches were memorable but McKnights winner st Somerset was probably the highlight although.

This season has been pretty f**kin awesome too!emoji16.png

Sent from my SM-G935F using Black & White Army mobile app

Ayr was amazing but the sickening gut punch of Raith, followed by 3 minutes of absolute chaos sums that season up. 

Being 1-0 down in the 87th minute and coming back to win is rare. 

GOING 1-0 down in the 87th minute and coming back to win is a whole different level. 

The only comeback that tops it is Motherwell in 2007.

12 hours ago, Kemp said:

Anyone voting for anything other than 99-2000 is presumably too young to remember it.

The great escape of last season when we finally unleashed Mallan and Morgan together is the only thing that compares.

Everything under Gus was miserable, even winning the league!*

This season was ok, but there was no real competition after January and we stuttered over the line rather than the grand finish of 2000.

* for the benefit of the forum thickos, thats a joke.

Interesting stuff Kemp.......I started following St Mirren on a regular basis around 1975 and witnessed the birth and growth of Fergie's Furies, it was brilliant stuff both on and off the field. There was a real bond between The Manager, The Team, The Supporters and The Town. I was a youngster then and the whole dynamic surrounding St Mirren fitted perfectly.

I loved 99-2000 but I have to say that this year has been as close as it has ever felt to that time. It may well be because, at 14, my youngest is experiencing almost all I have described above but I would say that this season wins it for me especially with the symmetry of handing out a doing to the Dundee United (one of my favourite ever games) along the way.

12 hours ago, norman said:

Sometimes I wonder if I view the millennium champions through the rose tinted specs of nostalgia, but looking back on this season, we didn't really have a "Mendes at Starks" or "McKnight at Somerset " moment. The closest really was probably coming back from 2-0 down at Palmerston. We were really good this season, and both this team and the 2006 team are undoubtedly far better equipped for the Premiership, but the drama of the 99-00 season is unbeatable.

This. The millennium was brilliant and the league was tight all the way to the end with goals being scored for fun. We even managed to scare the life out of the Dons in a cup game. I have been reading some old saints books and I can remember more about year 2000 than year 2006. A few weeks ago I couldn't have told you who all the other teams were in the 2006 league, but I can always remember all the teams in 2000.

7 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Ayr was amazing but the sickening gut punch of Raith, followed by 3 minutes of absolute chaos sums that season up. 

Being 1-0 down in the 87th minute and coming back to win is rare. 

GOING 1-0 down in the 87th minute and coming back to win is a whole different level. 

The only comeback that tops it is Motherwell in 2007.

I'm sure Junior's goal was so late there were already Raith fans in the street giving us pelters for blowing it only to have a close up view as the away stand exploding into absolute joy. What a game that was.

Does anyone else think the respective videos/DVDs mean 99/00 is more fondly remembered than 05/06 as well? Nobody really wants to watch Kirk Broadfoot's detailed description of his pre match routine again, but 50 mins of Yardley goals, Dougie Vipond and rock guitar? Yes please!

Does anyone else think the respective videos/DVDs mean 99/00 is more fondly remembered than 05/06 as well? Nobody really wants to watch Kirk Broadfoot's detailed description of his pre match routine again, but 50 mins of Yardley goals, Dougie Vipond and rock guitar? Yes please!

Was it Broadfoot that had pasta and early in the morning as that is what he got taught on a scotland trip?

If I remember right Simon Lappin got up and had Rice Crispies and watched soccer AM [emoji23][emoji23]

Yup I'd rather hear Tommy Turner talking about glancing it in and Tom Hendrie waking the sleeping giant.

14 minutes ago, Hambud said:

Was it Broadfoot that had pasta and early in the morning as that is what he got taught on a scotland trip?

If I remember right Simon Lappin got up and had Rice Crispies and watched soccer AM emoji23.pngemoji23.png

Yup I'd rather hear Tommy Turner talking about glancing it in and Tom Hendrie waking the sleeping giant.

Although it never made the video - big Yards telling Sportsound that the championship is the 'carrot at the end of the tunnel' :lol: 

Guest TPAFKATS
I would go with the following;
1. 1999-2000
2. 2017-2018
3. 2005-2006

What’s yours?
Thought we would struggle a bit in 99/00 season after losing players.
We had more drama that season with late goals? So probably more of a surprise.
I was also younger no family and attended more away games and partied more.
The party when the town came to a standstill was also better.

This year has been braw though and I think we've mibees played better football than we did under Hendrie. Last seasons great escape also needs to be considered as it rolled right on into this season.

05/06 was full of highlights too including hospitality on the last day, but for me it's between the other two. Probably equally enjoyable but for many different reasons.

I voted for 2017/18 and almost can't believe it!

99/00 had some big wins (Raith 6-0), comebacks (Raith 2-1) late winners (Ayr 2-1) and plenty of them - but it was a bit edge of your seat at times. I was never 100% sure of the title until the second against Raith (again) in the penultimate game. The 1-0 game against Falkirk when we scored against the run of play (McKnight) & then Tam Brown got sent off & we had a desperate last 2/3 minutes plus injury time @Eric Arthur Blair sums that season up for me. It really had a bit of a comic book feel to it with a heavyweight front two (Yards & Basher) & local boys McGarry & McLaughlin amongst others, oh and the bubble didnae burst!

2005/06 was a bit devoid of thrills&spills although Carlie Adam & Mark Corcoran did provide some flair but it was a far more functional team which you always felt would hold onto a lead - it was all somehow a bit less exciting than 99/00. Some great wins especially the four against Clyde (& Graham Roberts subsequent meltdowns) with Billy Mehmet scoring the Title Winning Goal against Dundee - only an absolute Eeyore would deny it. Oh, and we won the Challenge Cup too!

17/18 Like 99/00 we've done it with a charismatic manager and even if we've only had one big win (Dumbarton 5-0) we were a lot easier on the eye than GMs team while winning at a canter and even had time to throw in a coupla meaningless defeats to Falkirk at the end of the season. 

I thought I was going to vote 99/00 but when it came time to tick the box somehow I went for 17/18

Edited by Bud the Baker

3 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

I prefer the terms "stoppage time" or "added time" since time can be added for incidents other than injury.

What the Bible as to say about it!

Exodus 21:19

if he that is fouled gets up and walks around , then he who struck him shall go unpunished and no time shall be added..............

My favourite is 99/00. Like many have mentioned about travelling home and away I reckon I missed one game that season and was great, particularly the 1st quarter absolutely battering teams, and last quarter where the matches were thrilling. Raith and Ayr away both being highlights, the absolute carnage at both will live long in the memory.

This season, on the back of last is memorable. The galvanised support, great away trips, the 3 weeks of weekend benders we've all been on, last night's tantrum from Gollum, the general seethe from everyone else. I would however say that from Ayr away last season onwards that would rate higher a season of note as the seeds of this year's win were all sown then.