Thugs - Do We Need Need A Couple?

Reflecting on last night's Yenitit-Livi game and in particular Floods sending off I realised (again) we never had an out&out dirty bastuuurd in our team this season unlike the last two times we won the Championship (sic). In 99/00 we had The Two Tams (Brown & Turner) & in 05/06 we had Millen & Reilly. 

Should a couple of thugs be at the top of JRs summer shopping list?

I wouldn't describe any of the players you mention as 'dirty' or 'thugs' (I appreciate you are using some license, though).

There isn't a great deal of scope for thuggery in modern fitba, to be honest.

6 minutes ago, Drew said:

I wouldn't describe any of the players you mention as 'dirty' or 'thugs' (I appreciate you are using some license, though).

Exactly. Jim Goodwin got caught out quite a few times and was hounded by referees as a result of his thuggish lapses. 

I appreciate there's less scope in 2018/19 for JG type players than even 5/10 years ago but I reckon there's still some elbow :rolleyes:room, I thought JG played the role effectively until he let the gifs go to his head. Turning to the aforementioned Flood I thought he played the ref perfectly during the CC Final last season. It's a difficult role these days as it all as to be done under the radar (unless you're Scott Brown) but I still think a player who can put in a crafty foul and walk away unnoticed would be an asset. 

PS - I'm not suggesting we try to sign Flood.

Edited by Bud the Baker

I think Captain Fantastic does that job. In fact he is one of the most subtle ‘enforcers’ I have witnessed with us. Stephen gets away with lots of wee fouls by using his intelligence and always doing it on the blind side of the referee. Very effective and more lower profile that Goody ever had.

21 minutes ago, Sonny said:

I think Captain Fantastic does that job. In fact he is one of the most subtle ‘enforcers’ I have witnessed with us. Stephen gets away with lots of wee fouls by using his intelligence and always doing it on the blind side of the referee. Very effective and more lower profile that Goody ever had.

Aye, I agree with this.

Stephen has clearly developed this side of his game, and is an entirely different type of player than he was during his first spell with us.

If someone could give me some players that come under this term that play in the Premiership?

I watched the Livi game last night and didn't see one. Flood is a total tosser not a thug..............

With Davis and Mackenzie we can certainly control the aerial route, but with the refs now a days, unless your Scott Brown, you're going to get red carded for going thru players......

At the higher level you need pace, and skill, but most importantly great discipline and organization............

I think the thug idea is a bit dated. I'd rather have a team of fit professionals than someone with crunching tackles in the middle. 

If we look at Celtic as an example, they do so well because of the fitness of their players throughout the season.

As already highlighted, yeah they have Scott Brown. He works for them though because officials are scared to book him and he has a lot more to his game than just heavy tackling. We wouldn't have the luxury of the ref waiting until it's almost criminal before getting the book out. 

Big difference between a tough tackling  player and a thug, in my opinion. Goody was our most recent example and he occasionally went beyond tough tackling.  Scott Brown hS great positional sense and covers an immense distance in every game. He too goes beyond tough tackling in a number of games but also takes a lot of stick.  Would I like one or two players in this mould is the question. I tend to agree with those posters who have highlighted overall fitness and resilience as key contributors to the photofit modern footballer.  But..... Every team needs a strong backbone from defence through midfield into the attack.  

15 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Big difference between a tough tackling  player and a thug, in my opinion. 

Agreed. One that comes to my mind is Hugh Murray. He was always one for sliding into a tackle where many players wouldn't, but you'd never consider Shuggie to be a thug. Unfortunately it seemed every time he got it wrong he was booked. Goodwin was a tougher tackler than Shuggie but did have that thuggish element at times.

39 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

Thought it was him, He said Fergie released him, yet I was sure Fergie was away before we signed McDougall  :unsure:  memory must be fading

Left season before, supposedly. 

Edited by pod

1 hour ago, portmahomack saint said:

Thought it was him, He said Fergie released him, yet I was sure Fergie was away before we signed McDougall  :unsure:  memory must be fading

I was a wee bit confused myself about the timing of him being there and that photograph.:blink:

10 hours ago, Drew said:

I would agree to some extent but mostly Livi make up for their lack of football skill by forcing you off the ball , then they curl up in a ball and try and get a foul . Livi have barged their way to second place in the League from the first division , it's not really fitba' but they have got away with it . Jack did mention that they have a lot of big guys ( they have a team of Gary Mackenzie's) and that we have the smallest team in the League . He said it was something he was going to address. .

Guest TPAFKATS
Don't know about McAveety, can't remember much about him, but I agree that it's probably not McCoist.
Phil McAveety never quite broke through to hold down a first team place. I believe he chucked football and trained in dentistry...

9 hours ago, renfrew said:

Having watch the Dons v Newco and Hearts v Hibs games I would say we need 11 thugs to survive emoji856.png

Came here to post this. Very, very physical stuff. Same goes for Motherwell. Not seen much of the rest.

Hibs started brightly, and were really fast and direct, until Hearts turned it into a battle. Then they were all kicking seven shades of shite out each other.