Ipswich Town - Permission to Speak with Jack Ross

9 minutes ago, zico said:

I always looked on that Ipswich side as England's Aberdeen or Dundee United!

Aberdeen done a number on us the following season in The UEFA Cup.

Back then The UEFA cup was harder to win than The European Cup as it was only the previous seasons champions in The European Cup and it wasn't the case back then that those clubs would be at their best again the following year. 

Folk law has it (but I think it's a bit of a wives tale) that when Sir Bob left to manage England he was asked by our board who he recommended as his successor and he replied "Ferguson". Unfortunately we appointed the wrong Ferguson and appointed Sir Bobs no 2 Bobby Ferguson over the suggested Alex.

As I say - I think it's a bit of a friend of a friend story that has gathered pace over the years.

3 minutes ago, ShefkiKuqisSkidmarks said:

Aberdeen done a number on us the following season in The UEFA Cup.

Back then The UEFA cup was harder to win than The European Cup as it was only the previous seasons champions in The European Cup and it wasn't the case back then that those clubs would be at their best again the following year. 

Folk law has it (but I think it's a bit of a wives tale) that when Sir Bob left to manage England he was asked by our board who he recommended as his successor and he replied "Ferguson". Unfortunately we appointed the wrong Ferguson and appointed Sir Bobs no 2 Bobby Ferguson over the suggested Alex.

As I say - I think it's a bit of a friend of a friend story that has gathered pace over the years.

Ok, as we are all getting along so well

Can you start a Paul Hurst petition - happy to share memories but not managers :whistle

10 minutes ago, Sonny said:

We have a team of light weight midgets who have tons of energy. We close down the opposition and attack in numbers with free-flowing, passing football. Usually play a 4-4-1-1 or 4-2-3-1. We do not always pass  from the back but rely on winning the second ball when the ball is punted (and we have no big strikers anyway). Sideways passing is a thing of the past - forward passing is what we do and we have forwards that take defenders on. Shoot on sight is allowed though we sometimes try and walk it in when we could shoot. Goals are spread throughout the team (every player bar the goalie scored this season). The best attacking football I have watched in years. No tough tackling and no safety first. Attack, attack, attack.

Sounds great thank you. I'm very jealous of teams who've played like that against us and I really hope we get someone with that type of philosophy. 

I've seen a few comments who believe what they hear on Talksport by muppets like Chris Sutton and we're not the set of fans that we're being branded as in the media who hounded out Mick McCarthy.  He constantly tried to bait the fans and said things like 'the more you sing his name, the less chance I'll bring him on'.  Happened on several occasions with our creative players who he'd leave on the bench for more defensive options and his pals.

We scored in the last minute at Norwich and instead of celebrating with the staff and players, he ran towards our away end shouting 'F**k off'.  It's just unfair how we've been made out by the media. We've had 15 managers since 1936 and are notoriously patient with managers!

If Jack Ross came, he'd be given tonnes of time and patience to build something. All we ask for is to be entertained and see a few youth players be developed from our promising academy along the way. If we're not doing so well but we can see a long term strategy being attempted then we'd be happy.

With McCarthy it was dire hoofball football, playing for a 0-0 draw every week and he didn't develop a single player to be a first team regular from our academy in his 6 years at the club.  We just want someone with a bit of ambition who plays to win the game!

You've obviously never been to Longstanton Spice Museum or one of our cracking owl sanctuaries.

Lol can’t say I’ve an interest in spice or owls [emoji848] though I hear spice is big in Manchester these days[emoji3] I like cathedrals and Norwich have a beauty [emoji106]

1 minute ago, ironsaints87 said:

Lol can’t say I’ve an interest in spice or owls emoji848.png though I hear spice is big in Manchester these daysemoji3.png I like cathedrals and Norwich have a beauty emoji106.png

They've got two... and an airport, which they never tire reminding us of. They've also got six fingers on each hand and an empty trophy cabinet, which we never tire of reminding them of. 

30 minutes ago, Sonny said:

We have a team of light weight midgets who have tons of energy. We close down the opposition and attack in numbers with free-flowing, passing football. Usually play a 4-4-1-1 or 4-2-3-1. We do not always pass  from the back but rely on winning the second ball when the ball is punted (and we have no big strikers anyway). Sideways passing is a thing of the past - forward passing is what we do and we have forwards that take defenders on. Shoot on sight is allowed though we sometimes try and walk it in when we could shoot. Goals are spread throughout the team (every player bar the goalie scored this season). The best attacking football I have watched in years. No tough tackling and no safety first. Attack, attack, attack.

Sonny Shut Up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you Fitzy in disguise

Its well known-

Saints play appalling  boring football- Hoofball, foul like Leeds in the 70s, win every game 1-0 , and average 2 shots on target.

Jack is an appalling manager and we all hate him !!!

And he is fat and ugly and ruins the team photo :whistle

I'm failing to see the love for Jim Goodwin as a manager so far. He's hardly set the Earth on fire at Alloa in the time he's been there. Yes they could still go up via the playoffs but so did Brechin last year after a slightly better than mediocre season.
I'm not saying he's not a good manager and won't go on to have a good career and it does feel slightly hypocritical given Jack came from Alloa but I'd like us to try something different with our next manager choice. We struck exceptionally lucky and picked very well with Jack who was the standout in the lower leagues at that point. There's no-one in League 1 or 2 right now who strikes me as a real opportunity missed if we don't go for them.

This^^^^
Good guy and personable as Jim is, he ain’t no next St mirren manager material.
Others say Robbie Neilson and he’s an obvious grab.
Let’s see, JR has not been offered anything, as many have said he may see himself as not ready, maybe complete a campaign with St mirren, learn to live with pressure of a top league stint.
End of the day though, must be mega money on offer as a salary and it would be a lifestyle changing move.
I just think JR has not been stretched to anything like realising potential and I’m hoping he sees us as worth a campaign of togetherness before , if , when he decides to boost.

They've got two... and an airport, which they never tire reminding us of. They've also got six fingers on each hand and an empty trophy cabinet, which we never tire of reminding them of. 

Sounds like our rivals Morton [emoji848] Don’t have airport or cathedral I’m aware of, but they also have six fingers , and a empty trophy cabinet[emoji16]

7 minutes ago, linwood buddie said:

And a town  with inhabitants similar to the Walking Dead.

And.........................

The shitiest ground in world football

Gangsters on the Board

A team that lies down to betting Scandals ( 10-2 loss to Accies)

The only plus point being they will be the first team in British Football....................................... to be incinerated when Trident goes off ( we will fecking second !!) 

15 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

And.........................

The shitiest ground in world football

Gangsters on the Board

A team that lies down to betting Scandals ( 10-2 loss to Accies)

The only plus point being they will be the first team in British Football....................................... to be incinerated when Trident goes off ( we will fecking second !!) 

Would be Dumbarton before us... unless they spent the extra money they creamed off the Saints fans over the last 2 years on a Nuclear Bunker

A few folk on Twitter starting to round on JR a wee bit now.

I can understand the unease and frustration, but we also need to put ourselves in his shoes. What we we do in his position?

It's a tough one, and I certainly hope it is sorted out one way or another. We definitely could do without this happening every time a club bags their manager.

1 minute ago, Drew said:

I can understand the unease and frustration, but we also need to put ourselves in his shoes. What we we do in his position?

It's a tough one, and I certainly hope it is sorted out one way or another. We definitely could do without this happening every time a club bags their manager.

Right on all counts. 

Jack is entitled to be ambitious and look after his career and family as long as he is acting within the contractual agreement made with the club... No argument there. 

But

There is a potential downside for both himself and the board if this sort of thing happens as often as it has since he joined us. 

We have a product to sell and he is very much part of that in encouraging players to stay or join and  for fans to buy season tickets. 

Folk? I can think of several other nouns to replace that word beginning with an "F". All of them are derogatory. [emoji1]

Hence why I avoid Twatter.

I think Ipswich should go for Hurst over Ross.

Hurst has done an outstanding job at Shrewsbury and could very well get them into Championship.

Ross has in effect won the Conference in England.

Ross is untested at a higher level and for me Ipswich would be taking a far bigger gamble appointing him over Paul Hurst.

A lot of people getting carried away over Jack Ross also. Lets see how St Mirren perform next season if he still here. Not doubting his achievements for a minute but things can easily change.

Paul Hartley, Bill Reid, Robbie Neilson, Alan Archibald are a few who's stock was very high and now they are seen as also rans.  Remeber Tom Hendrie also who could do no wrong then along came Premiership and he was out of his depth.

Edited by lenziebud

6 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Folk? I can think of several other nouns to replace that word beginning with an "F". All of them are derogatory. emoji1.png

Hence why I avoid Twatter.

Surpringly, they are some of the more right thinking types who frequent that platform (and, indeed, post on here).

To be fair, I have a degree of sympathy for their position, but when they start throwing terms like 'unprofessional' and 'disrespectful' about, it seems a tad disproportionate.

33 minutes ago, Drew said:

Bunch of f**king skid marks.

Football doesn't have "loyalty" any more. When an English Championship club asks to speak to Jack, it's an opportunity for him. Of course he's going to see what they have to say.

What matters is this. Is he still going to give us 100% while contracted by us? Of course he is. He will try to sort out Gavin Reilly's contract and he will still try to bring in the acquired targets until the day he signs a contract elsewhere. As others have sensibly stated, if you are offered 3x, 4x your salary to do a similar job elsewhere, are you going to stay out of loyalty? Are you f**k. The idiots saying he such just bugger off because he isn't "committed" need to get a f**king grip.

9 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

I think Ipswich should go for Hurst over Ross.

Hurst has done an outstanding job at Shrewsbury and could very well get them into Championship.

Ross has in effect won the Conference in England.

Ross is untested at a higher level and for me Ipswich would be taking a far bigger gamble appointing him over Paul Hurst.

A lot of people getting carried away over Jack Ross also. Lets see how St Mirren perform next season if he still here. Not doubting his achievements for a minute but things can easily change.

Paul Hartley, Bill Reid, Robbie Neilson, Alan Archibald are a few who's stock was very high and now they are seen as also rans.  Remeber Tom Hendrie also who could do no wrong then along came Premiership and he was out of his depth.

Interestingly, this article has Hurst as sixth favourite at 8/1.

Jack Ross doesn't feature in the top 6:

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/04/11/shrewsbury-towns-paul-hurst-cut-to-81-to-become-ipswich-towns-ne/

I think he will go if asked and i believe he will eventually regret the choice if it's Ipswich. Mick McCarthy with all his experience couldn't get them near promotion, Jack with less experience is on a hiding to nothing there because they don't seem ambitious enough (by not spending enough to challenge at the top of their league)

Probably bigger teams will be alerted by his name getting put up for the lowly Ipswich post and he will get a bigger gig.

I just hope if he goes it happens sooner rather than later, a bidding war for his services could be long drawn out and deprive us of a new manager having enough time to sign players.

Keep Fowler and make McGinn his assistant (on the park) then eventually McGinn to take the helm.