Ipswich Town - Permission to Speak with Jack Ross

9 minutes ago, Drew said:

Interestingly, this article has Hurst as sixth favourite at 8/1.

Jack Ross doesn't feature in the top 6:

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/04/11/shrewsbury-towns-paul-hurst-cut-to-81-to-become-ipswich-towns-ne/

To be fair that was a month ago and Ross wasn't in the frame then. The bookies odds are only jumping about due to the (very small) amounts of bets placed.

I think Hurst is the one in contention at the moment but it depends on what happens in the play offs. Our owner has stated that we won't be announcing a manager until end of May at the earliest - probably June - which does suggest we might be looking at the play offs.

Edited by ShefkiKuqisSkidmarks

5 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Bunch of f**king skid marks.

Football doesn't have "loyalty" any more. When an English Championship club asks to speak to Jack, it's an opportunity for him. Of course he's going to see what they have to say.

What matters is this. Is he still going to give us 100% while contracted by us? Of course he is. He will try to sort out Gavin Reilly's contract and he will still try to bring in the acquired targets until the day he signs a contract elsewhere. As others have sensibly stated, if you are offered 3x, 4x your salary to do a similar job elsewhere, are you going to stay out of loyalty? Are you f**k. The idiots saying he such just bugger off because he isn't "committed" need to get a f**king grip.

Bit harsh on fellow buds. I don't think anyone is questioning the fact that Ipswich is a great move for Jack. Good luck to him and I would keep an eye on the Tractor Boys results The problem, for me anyway, is Jack is interested in EVERY job; crappy Barnsley and even Dundee FFS. The Board have given him support, a long contract, more money and still his head is turned at every job. Is it Hibs next if he misses out on this one? Is one season to finish the great job he has done too much of an ask?

1 minute ago, ShefkiKuqisSkidmarks said:

To be fair that was a month ago and Ross wasn't in the frame then. The bookies odds are only jumping about due to the (very small) amounts of bets placed.

I think Hurst is the one in contention at the moment but it depends on what happens in the play offs. Our owner has stated that we won't be announcing a manager until end of May at the earliest - probably June.

Which most definitely doesn't suit us, contracts in Scotland run out on 31st May whilst most contract in English football run to the end of June. I'm quite certain our board won't be willing to faff about for another 3 weeks with a 'will they, won't they' situation hanging over their heads.

Jack and/or Ipswich will likely have to make their intentions known well before then in order to allow us to move forward accordingly and start the process of recruitment of players and if need be, a manager.

15 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

I think Ipswich should go for Hurst over Ross.

Hurst has done an outstanding job at Shrewsbury and could very well get them into Championship.

Ross has in effect won the Conference in England.

Ross is untested at a higher level and for me Ipswich would be taking a far bigger gamble appointing him over Paul Hurst.

I make you right on pretty much all that. 

Until JR's name was mentioned, and we found out a bit more about him, Hurst's name was the definite front-runner. Waiting to see how the Shrews' situation works out really, and you're absolutely right that he'd be a potentially better fit given his experience at a similar level. 

The Burley/Butcher combo is the blue-tinted spectacles choice (and one I'd quite fancy tbh!). Seeing two Town legends back in the dugout could only end in tears. Whether they're of joy or misery would remain to be seen...

Another name in serious contention was Mowbray but he's now likely to stay put as Blackburn will hand him a new contract and a decent budget. 

Scott Parker is the surprise package, 'big name' ex-player with zero first-team experience option. Lovely player that he was, that represents a gamble that borders on the insane for us. Reckon he'll start much lower down and actually do well for himself- v. highly spoken of at Spurs' academy. An interesting name to look out for in the future, for sure.

I'd say it's about neck and neck with JR and PH. Burley probably in third.

Our owner does apparently take note of social media and our forum so, thank god, when we went ballistic over the names of Pardew and Sherwood, this was duly noted. May not be so good for you guys as we seem slightly enamoured with JR at present... and many have adopted St Mirren as their team north of the border! 

13 minutes ago, ShefkiKuqisSkidmarks said:

I think Hurst is the one in contention at the moment but it depends on what happens in the play offs. Our owner has stated that we won't be announcing a manager until end of May at the earliest - probably June - which does suggest we might be looking at the play offs.

Ah, apologies, I hadn't looked at the date.

My mistake.

7 minutes ago, ITFCReuser said:

I make you right on pretty much all that. 

Until JR's name was mentioned, and we found out a bit more about him, Hurst's name was the definite front-runner. Waiting to see how the Shrews' situation works out really, and you're absolutely right that he'd be a potentially better fit given his experience at a similar level. 

The Burley/Butcher combo is the blue-tinted spectacles choice (and one I'd quite fancy tbh!). Seeing two Town legends back in the dugout could only end in tears. Whether they're of joy or misery would remain to be seen...

Another name in serious contention was Mowbray but he's now likely to stay put as Blackburn will hand him a new contract and a decent budget. 

Scott Parker is the surprise package, 'big name' ex-player with zero first-team experience option. Lovely player that he was, that represents a gamble that borders on the insane for us. Reckon he'll start much lower down and actually do well for himself- v. highly spoken of at Spurs' academy. An interesting name to look out for in the future, for sure.

I'd say it's about neck and neck with JR and PH. Burley probably in third.

Our owner does apparently take note of social media and our forum so, thank god, when we went ballistic over the names of Pardew and Sherwood, this was duly noted. May not be so good for you guys as we seem slightly enamoured with JR at present... and many have adopted St Mirren as their team north of the border! 

Blue rinse more like...…………………

blue-rinse.jpg?w=460

12 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Which most definitely doesn't suit us, contracts in Scotland run out on 31st May whilst most contract in English football run to the end of June. I'm quite certain our board won't be willing to faff about for another 3 weeks with a 'will they, won't they' situation hanging over their heads.

Jack and/or Ipswich will likely have to make their intentions known well before then in order to allow us to move forward accordingly and start the process of recruitment of players and if need be, a manager.

Our owner has said we will be looking to appoint someone end of May/early June. So I imagine if Ross was in the frame (impresses in his interview/talks), a deal could be wrapped up fairly quickly ... I imagine Town would be aware of how much yourselves was looking for in compensation for Ross, as I'd doubt we'd ask to speak to him otherwise.*

*we had asked to speak to Nathan Jones of Luton, but we was quoted too much as to how much we had to pay for him.

1 minute ago, Bud the Baker said:

Blue rinse more like...…………………

blue-rinse.jpg?w=460

There's lead in Burley's pencil yet, bud! Chris Hogg also works as lead coach of our academy and is married to Burley's daughter... not sure how well the Hibs connection goes down on here though!

Bit harsh on fellow buds. I don't think anyone is questioning the fact that Ipswich is a great move for Jack. Good luck to him and I would keep an eye on the Tractor Boys results The problem, for me anyway, is Jack is interested in EVERY job; crappy Barnsley and even Dundee FFS. The Board have given him support, a long contract, more money and still his head is turned at every job. Is it Hibs next if he misses out on this one? Is one season to finish the great job he has done too much of an ask?

Agreed entirely.Comes a time we say commit for year or go. Can’t play this out every few months.

7 minutes ago, ITFCBlue said:

Our owner has said we will be looking to appoint someone end of May/early June. So I imagine if Ross was in the frame (impresses in his interview/talks), a deal could be wrapped up fairly quickly ... I imagine Town would be aware of how much yourselves was looking for in compensation for Ross, as I'd doubt we'd ask to speak to him otherwise.*

*we had asked to speak to Nathan Jones of Luton, but we was quoted too much as to how much we had to pay for him.

We would only agree to talks taking place if compensation was agreed. 

2 minutes ago, ITFCReuser said:

There's lead in Burley's pencil yet, bud! Chris Hogg also works as lead coach of our academy and is married to Burley's daughter... not sure how well the Hibs connection goes down on here though!

We had a great party with Hibs fans last year great in the pubs around their stadium they got the title we confirmed safety which all games were like that with opposing fans. 

Just now, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

We had a great party with Hibs fans last year great in the pubs around their stadium they got the title we confirmed safety which all games were like that with opposing fans. 

Aye, Hibs are certainly my preferred Embra club:)

40 minutes ago, Drew said:

Surpringly, they are some of the more right thinking types who frequent that platform (and, indeed, post on here).

To be fair, I have a degree of sympathy for their position, but when they start throwing terms like 'unprofessional' and 'disrespectful' about, it seems a tad disproportionate.

I think being the gentleman Jack is , that he will feel obliged to go and hear them out and then say thanks but no thanks . l predict Jack will be with us until at least the end of next season . There will probably be a lot of what if's before then. . hey , it keeps the Forum busy . .

I think being the gentleman Jack is , that he will feel obliged to go and hear them out and then say thanks but no thanks . l predict Jack will be with us until at least the end of next season . There will probably be a lot of what if's before then. . hey , it keeps the Forum busy . .

I truly hope your right ????

8 minutes ago, helpmaboab said:

I would have thought winning Scottish manager of the year would be deserving of a 'bigger' club that Ipswich. Fergie went to MU after all, but admittedly he had huge success at Aberdeen and St.Mirren. Jack has only had success in the poxy Scottish Championship. Maybe he could return Leeds United to the EPL, they have a huge draw and heritage. Ipswich are a boring club. Even taking over Sunderland and rebuilding them would be more fitting for JR. The big question really is he really good enough?

HMB

Ferguson had succeeded in winning promotion with St Mirren as well as the top league,  cups and European level cup competition against Real Madrid. 

I am a great Fan ofJack Ross but he doesn't currently have the record Ferguson had when he moved to MU

1 hour ago, magnus said:

How do you know Jack is interested in EVERY job? There may have been other approaches for him that he rejected, we just didn't hear about them. "Crappy" Barnsley were in the Championship at the time and Jack said afterwards he didn't feel it was the right time to move. "Dundee FFS" were a League above us at that point and again Jack said he had unfinished business with us. Of course Jack's going to turn his head at offers in better leagues, who wouldn't? Fact is so far, every time he's stayed put where others may have opted to move at the chance. Ipswich is a massive opportunity for him should he be offered it.

"One season to finish the great job", or as others are saying give us one year of commitment, it could be a stunning year for him. It could also be the year that sees his stock go to shit if we end up in a relegation dogfight. As the saying goes, strike while the iron is hot. Jack owes us absolutely nothing, he saved us from visiting League One and gave us the best 18 months we've had in a very long time (the only thing coming close in the last decade was the League Cup success).

50 minutes ago, helpmaboab said:

I would have thought winning Scottish manager of the year would be deserving of a 'bigger' club that Ipswich. Fergie went to MU after all, but admittedly he had huge success at Aberdeen and St.Mirren. Jack has only had success in the poxy Scottish Championship. Maybe he could return Leeds United to the EPL, they have a huge draw and heritage. Ipswich are a boring club. Even taking over Sunderland and rebuilding them would be more fitting for JR. The big question really is he really good enough?

While we freely admit to being mid-Championship status these days, we are still a big draw for many, hence the 100+ applications received so far. 

You've answered your own question though there really as you go on to talk about JR's relative lack of experience. So why would he be deserving of a bigger club? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's not a very good prospect, more that I think we have more value than you perhaps suspect.

Leeds may have more money than us but they're a complete basket-case club. He'd be handed a two-year contract there and depart within six months. Now that's how you'd ruin this guy's career. We've only had 15 managers in 80 something years; you'll always get the chance to prove yourself at Portman Road, for better or for worse sometimes!

Same applies to Sunderland. They are in League One, need a huge clear out and their performances/morale could not be lower. How you would find that a better fit than Ipswich honestly baffles me. 

Edited by ITFCReuser

Guest TPAFKATS
Robbie said last week on radio his dad is a big St Mirren fan
Did not realise Robbie Neilson is a Paisley boy. 
More famous than you think. Go through the generations of Robbie's family and you will find he is the descendent of the man called John Neilson responsible for the JN Institution. 
Any thoughts on this melmac?