Ipswich Town - Permission to Speak with Jack Ross

1 minute ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

There are very few if any at all that does not want Jack to climb the ladder in his career.  However it's happening far too often there have been three enquiries from down south one from Dundee the Scottish press had Jack installed as the Aberdeen boss when it looked like McInnis  was going to the dark side. Now success will bring speculation however our playing staff need what I wrote  above for the challenge that is ahead which will be very tough in our first season will be about surviving not top six which is foolishly being spun around. Losing Davis proves our budget is not yet competitive in our first season in the top flight prize money is less than half than it is in the premiership.  

So, we should appoint a manager that performs so badly or is so mediocre that he doesn't attract attention from other clubs?

If we'd done that, then we'd have just spent a season in division 1.

21 minutes ago, Abu Dhabi Saints said:

I only know one person who comes from Ipswich and he says the town has changed for the better over the last umpteen years.

I've never been so can't comment but the vast majority of articles I've read would contradict your "view".

One things for sure, it's got a better climate than Paisley. 

https://www.leaders.co.uk/pages/ipswich

Very well informed argument you have made there.

Considering you live in the UAE, I think your opinion on what makes a pleasant place to live can be safely disregarded.

4 minutes ago, buddies1877 said:

How clueless you do realise he’d have one of the lowest budgets in the league and he finished 2nd and also in the final of the playoffs.

Nothing brutal about it they played fantastic in Dundee in the first round then rightfully defended their lead in the 2nd its a team that is works it’s socks off.

Agree he is managing to their strength quite an incredible job and I can see them coming up with us. 

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

2 minutes ago, buddies1877 said:

How clueless you do realise he’d have one of the lowest budgets in the league and he finished 2nd and also in the final of the playoffs.

Nothing brutal about it they played fantastic in Dundee in the first round then rightfully defended their lead in the 2nd its a team that is works it’s socks off.

I doubt Hopkin will be anywhere near our club.

His assistant carries to much dodgy "baggage", for the likes of our club.

. Would love Jack to lead us next season but it needs solid commitment if he is not offered the I.T. job would rather he walked than all the uncertainty it brings to the playing staff. 

Unf**kingbelivable.

People such as yourself deserve every Alex Rae that comes your way.

Losing Davis proves our budget is not yet competitive in our first season in the top flight prize money is less than half than it is in the premiership.  

Unless you are party to some very privileged information if means nothing of the sort.

It could be that the story that came out is true.
It could be that his lack of pace and aerial prowess mean we offered him what he was worth and he feel he is worth more.

However, you could also peddle some sort of doom and gloom narrative to support your Jack theory.

We’ve a had a little bit of success and that brings its own problems. If everyone could just display a little bit of patience then it will all resolve itself fairly quickly and we can move on.

I hope he stays and that he and many of our young players are linked with numerous big clubs in the coming months as hat will mean we really are on our way.

Breath FFS.

1 minute ago, DLBud said:

Unless you are party to some very privileged information if means nothing of the sort.

It could be that his lack of pace and aerial prowess mean we offered him what he was worth and he feel he is worth more.

Or we are taking the guy at face value and the fact that he has two young children on the verge of school age, means he wants to move back to England for them and the money on offer wasn't a factor. 

I get that some fans have never seen us in a position where bigger boys are coming to take our best players and especially our manager away from us regularly but this is life and its where we are in the footballing hierarchy. There's absolutely no point in losing your shit over it. It's happened to bigger clubs than us and will continue to happen as long as we are successful. 

I'm much more comfortable rebuilding from a position of strength than how we usually have to build. 

1 minute ago, Abu Dhabi Saints said:

Precisely, "could be" anything.

We will always be fodder for bigger clubs, and there are plenty, for players but rarely for our manager.

Also a good point about rebuilding, we are in good position as a club, on and off the field but, as I said earlier, we are unlikely to recruit another manager of the ability of Jack Ross I'm afraid.

That's true. But then we've known for a long time we're not going to get another Jack when he goes. 

Certainly doesn't mean that whoever eventually does replace him won't be a success for us, though. Problem being is whoever it is has such a hard act to follow that some sections of the support just might not be patient with them at all. 

11 minutes ago, DLBud said:

However, you could also peddle some sort of doom and gloom narrative to support your Jack theory.

We’ve a had a little bit of success and that brings its own problems. If everyone could just display a little bit of patience then it will all resolve itself fairly quickly and we can move on.

I hope he stays and that he and many of our young players are linked with numerous big clubs in the coming months as hat will mean we really are on our way.

Breath FFS.

So why was an offer put on the table if he was not wanted ? Why is Reilly taking so long to sign his. Davis was the best thing since sliced bread now all of a sudden he has short comings. I'm not being critical of our budget I'm saying it's not yet up to full potential that will take one season in the premiership.  

So, we should appoint a manager that performs so badly or is so mediocre that he doesn't attract attention from other clubs?

If we'd done that, then we'd have just spent a season in division 1.

And suddenly the real reason for the appointments of Craig and Rae becomes clear.

The real issue is that we have a sought after manager , and there a several jobs available at clubs far bigger than us , the St Mirren managers job is a stepping stone to better things and always will be . I hope Jack Ross gets the Ipswich job , not because I want him to leave , I just think now would be a good time for us to get a replacement in , who can start to improve our squad . 

9 hours ago, Greenhill Road said:

If Jack Ross can get £15k a week at a more than decent club like Ipswich Town then he should grab it. If it works out then he will become a millionaire and set his family up for life. If it doesn’t work out he comes back up the road and will easily get a gig in the top league or championship, I think it’s a no brainer for him. I will wish him well and thank him for a great season and a half at the club but do blame him for the damage to my liver and bank balance in that period.

Spot on Greenhill.  He's hot property right now but If he misses out on the Ipswich job then I hope that he and the chairman can keep up the momentum they have created and keep the good times rolling at the club in the season coming up. 

9 hours ago, DLBud said:

Drew, I’m not sure I understand the logic here. On one hand Jack is a high flying manager riding the crest of a second tier league win and on the other if he doesn’t finish in the top 6 of our Premier Division his stock suddenly plummets?

So, by definition, leading Saints to the Championship is a greater achievement than keeping them in the Premiership with one of the smallest budgets? Both of which happening in a league nobody cares about?

I didn't say that his stock would plummet, but there wouldn't be anything like the same level of attention as he is currently receiving.

That attention is based on the remarkable job he has done in turning us round. Even a reasonably solid showing next season is unlikely to win him manager of the year again. Maybe a cup win would ensure that his profile remains high, but the chances of that are likely to be pretty slim. On the flip side, if we toil a bit next season, there is the danger that some will suggest that Scottish Championship was his level, blah, blah, blah.

The point I was making is that, from his perspective, this could be the right time to secure a positive career move. Nothing is guaranteed, and circumstances can change pretty rapidly in fitba as in anything else in life.

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

And suddenly the real reason for the appointments if Craig and Rae becomes clear.

Sheer genius on our part.

Remember those heady days when all the media were interested in was how shite we were and how much drivel our manager's talked.

I yearn for those days............................................

Maybe it's not all doom and gloom.

Could it be that the this is just another step in the Tony Fitzpatrick prophesy that we shall win the premier league this year. Maybe Jack believes in Fitzy and he is merely going to all these job interviews to gain an insight into the workings of other clubs so he can improve things at St Mirren. Tony gives him permission to speak to everyone because he is in on the scam.

its all part of the master plan. JR will lead us to Glory next season.

Pass me another one of those Cocktails Tony's drinking............

13 minutes ago, Drew said:

I didn't say that his stock would plummet, but there wouldn't be anything like the same level of attention as he is currently receiving.

That attention is based on the remarkable job he has done in turning us round. Even a reasonably solid showing next season is unlikely to win him manager of the year again. Maybe a cup win would ensure that his profile remains high, but the chances of that are likely to be pretty slim. On the flip side, if we toil a bit next season, there is the danger that some will suggest that Scottish Championship was his level, blah, blah, blah.

The point I was making is that, from his perspective, this could be the right time to secure a positive career move. Nothing is guaranteed, and circumstances can change pretty rapidly in fitba as in anything else in life.

My thoughts exactly. For instance, we might be delighted with an 8th placed finish next season, but clubs like Ipswich are not going to be scrambling to get him signed up for finishing 8th. As you say, it certainly won't win him another Manager of the Year. To improve his stock further he needs either a Top 6 finish or success in the cup, and I'm sure he knows that.

25 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Sheer genius on our part.

Remember those heady days when all the media were interested in was how shite we were and how much drivel our manager's talked.

I yearn for those days............................................

Not one fan yearns  for those dark horrible days. 

1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

There are very few if any at all that does not want Jack to climb the ladder in his career.  However it's happening far too often there have been three enquiries from down south one from Dundee the Scottish press had Jack installed as the Aberdeen boss when it looked like McInnis  was going to the dark side. Now success will bring speculation however our playing staff need what I wrote  above for the challenge that is ahead which will be very tough in our first season will be about surviving not top six which is foolishly being spun around. Losing Davis proves our budget is not yet competitive in our first season in the top flight prize money is less than half than it is in the premiership.  

Ian, if we believe what the club have announced, Harry has left to go back down South. We have no idea what his contract would be worth or if another suitor has approached him. Clearly wages will be higher in England but it might be he just wants another crack at football down south?

12 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

there was a channel 4 doc a few years ago that highlighted the racism of the area, locals referred to Portugese labour as Pork & Cheese

This thread has taken a bit of a swerve. To be fair Pork and Cheese isn’t really a racist term but Cockney Rhyming Slang. 

For what it’s worth Ipswich has always been very multicultural, we have always a sizeable black community unlike our Norwich neighbours who never saw a black man until Justin Fashanu arrived  

Ipswich truely lives in racial harmony - in fact back in the day the London club fans would sieg heil and aim monkey chants at our North stand and Norwich would constantly chant “Norwich is white”. 

“Ipswich lives in racial harmony” was our standard reply  

As for loans going your way - I guess that would make sense to look at this rather than send out to our 1st division. Our loanees seem to do very well wherever they go - sometimes ending up as player of the season. We have had a recent habit of selling them to the team they went to.

Edited by ShefkiKuqisSkidmarks

1 hour ago, buddies1877 said:

How clueless you do realise he has one of the lowest budgets in the league he finished 2nd and also in the final of the playoffs.

Nothing brutal about it they played fantastic in Dundee in the first round then rightfully defended their lead in the 2nd its a team that works it’s socks off.

The style would not work with the nucleus of players we have. I never said it wasn't effective but it's not the style of football I want to watch and a mile away from what we have been playing. Would take Lithgow in a heart beat though.