Ipswich Town - Permission to Speak with Jack Ross

35 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

What makes you clearly think he wants the job ? Yes agree it could be life changing for Jack money wise. But was not Barnsley? MK Dons ? Dundee ? Though I think he would have went to Aberdeen if it had come up. There is a big difference in Jack in that he needs to believe he can take a club forward watch the interviews. I'm not a dreamer St Mirren is be all of course not for Jack. Ipswich is a good club but if their ambition is 2 million transfer kitty where money seems no object to other clubs Jack must how can I take Ipswich forward ? I'm quite hopfull he will stay now. He is a hugely patriotic  his dream is to manage Scotland the way he talked up Scottish football I'm very, very hopfull he will stay Stu. You pretend not to be a Saints fan yet you post here daily we know you luv  Saints :)

Aye see that's the thing about jobs. Just because you want it, doesn't mean you are going to get it. The employer generally gets to decide who they'd prefer to do the job and at Barnsley, MK Dons and Dundee - all three of those clubs decided they wanted someone other than Jack Ross to do it. :rolleyes: 

3 minutes ago, StuD said:

Aye see that's the thing about jobs. Just because you want it, doesn't mean you are going to get it. The employer generally gets to decide who they'd prefer to do the job and at Barnsley, MK Dons and Dundee - all three of those clubs decided they wanted someone other than Jack Ross to do it. :rolleyes: 

After he knocked Dundee back , don’t think MK Dons were interested and he pulled himself out of the running with the Barnsley job.

25 minutes ago, StuD said:

Well put up the facts . 

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

27 minutes ago, munoz said:

After he knocked Dundee back , don’t think MK Dons were interested and he pulled himself out of the running with the Barnsley job.

Dundee always wanted Neil McCann as manager. Jack Ross was involved in talks with them and was keen for the talks to continue, but McCann - who had previously declared himself out of the running - changed his mind and was given the job. MK Dons weren't interested. And at Barnsley Ross announced he was withdrawing from the race two days after Barnsley had offered the job to Jose Morais. Jack Ross will jump at the Ipswich job if offered it - but he's far from a shoe in. Ipswich are quite clearly very keen on at least one other name. 

The guy is clearly ambitious and he's obviously keen to move. His stock is high at the moment, there's no guarantee that after a season struggling to keep St Mirren up, that there will be the same attention on him as there is now. There's going to be quite a few interesting jobs come up over the next few weeks and I'm sure Jack Ross will be keen to be linked with as many of them as possible too so fans better get used to it. 

4 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Something we know about Jack through his interview is he will want a challenge to take a club forward not to stagnant in the middle of the league. Understand there will be 2 million in the kitty at Ipswish is that enough down there to take them forward I don't think so. 

Somewhere among this thread the same point was made. The answers to that were along the lines of Fulham's net spend this season being just £2.8m, while Huddersfield didn't throw money around at trying to gain promotion. Meanwhile the likes of Derby County have thrown a lot of money at trying to get promoted but have failed. With Ipswich being s club likely to give you time to progress, £2m is workable with a couple of good sales and smart buying. It's difficult but it has been done before.

7 hours ago, StuD said:

Jack Ross was involved in talks with them and was keen for the talks to continue

And at Barnsley Ross announced he was withdrawing from the race two days after Barnsley had offered the job to Jose Morais. 

You just can't help yourself when it comes to making things up.  Not one piece of evidence have I ever seen provided that Jack was keen for Dundee talks to continue. In fact it came from the man's mouth himself at a Q&A that he made the decision to stay put. 

As for Barnsley. The chain of events I remember was JR pulling out 2 days before their manager was revealed. No one was talking about Morais before this and certainly not for 2 days before Jack pulled out. 

So much creative license and filling of knowledge gaps with supposition used here. Just like your claim that you KNOW St. Mirren had the second biggest budget in the league. 

Edited by djchapsticks

The chain of events was, Morais was appointed on 16th Feb, they had already made their mind up 6 days earlier and he was asked to attend our game against Wednesday on the 10th Feb. Jack had not ruled himself out, they had already made their decision. 

A fecking wrong one at that!

7 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Stop using facts against him, you know he doesn't understand them, it's not fair. :)

Our upturn in form over the past 18 months doesn’t fit with his agendas.

1 hour ago, Hambud said:
15 hours ago, St.Ricky said:
Looking on Line, Ipswich are a big club.  Value of squad on Transfermarket is over 1bn. Stadium holds 30000. 

And they are sold out already!!

Sadly no............ crowds have fallen from averages over 24,000 a few years ago but are still,  I believe,  three or four times ours

27 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Sadly no............ crowds have fallen from averages over 24,000 a few years ago but are still,  I believe,  three or four times ours

New name in the frame.  Simon Grayson. 

https://amp.sportsmole.co.uk/football/ipswich-town/news/ipswich-eager-to-appoint-grayson_326015.html

Will Haining's view (and Will is a smart lad - Jack should take note :) ) ....

Former St Mirren favourite Will Haining insists that Jack Ross should stick with Saints for a crack at the Premiership.

Uncertainty remains over the gaffer’s future after the club granted Ross permission to speak to English Championship side Ipswich Town last week.

The 41-year-old is believed to have already held talks with the Suffolk outfit, with negotiations set to continue into this week.

However, Ross’ former Saints teammate Haining, who is back down south having hung up his boots, reckons Ross could be onto bigger and better things if he bided his time.

He told the Paisley Daily Express: “The links and the attention for Jacko comes as no surprise considering the remarkable job that he has done with St Mirren.

“He is going to get touted for every single job that is going now, and that is testament to just how much he has turned that club around.

“Ipswich are a huge club down here, a massive club, and it would be silly to look past that and say anything otherwise.

“But, for me, they are the type of club that have found their level.

“I personally believe they were crazy to sack Mick McCarthy, he is one of the best managers down here and the job he has done over the years was brilliant.

“Are Ipswich going to be a side pushing for promotion? Probably not. They are where they are for a reason and it will be up to Jack to see if it is the right fit for him.

“There are going to be a number of jobs coming up over the next few months and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him being linked with them either – if it was me then I would be waiting to see what else comes up.”

Haining, of course, insists he wants to see Ross stay with St Mirren and lead them back into the top flight where the duo once played alongside each other on the Saints backline.

He said: “From a St Mirren point of view, I would like to see Jack at least having a crack at the Premiership and see how far he can take it.

“But he is a clever guy and I am sure he will know exactly when the right time is to move on to something new.

“From discussions, he will get a feel for the club and will know if it suits him.

“However, it would be great to see him continue the work that he has been doing because it has been amazing to see the progress made under his leadership, from sitting bottom of the league last Christmas to now winning the Championship.”

But Haining issued a word of warning to both Saints supporters and Ross, admitting that nothing lasts forever.

He added: “Jack will know better than anyone the work that needs done.

“His stock is at an all-time high right now and rightfully so.

“But football can be a fickle game and these offers, if he continues to turn them down, might not be there in six months’ time.

“You’re just one bad run of form away from being out a job, and Jack will know that himself, sometimes you have to capitalise on that interest.”

13 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

What makes you clearly think he wants the job ? Yes agree it could be life changing for Jack money wise. But was not Barnsley? MK Dons ? Dundee ? Though I think he would have went to Aberdeen if it had come up. There is a big difference in Jack in that he needs to believe he can take a club forward watch the interviews. I'm not a dreamer St Mirren is be all of course not for Jack. Ipswich is a good club but if their ambition is 2 million transfer kitty where money seems no object to other clubs Jack must how can I take Ipswich forward ? I'm quite hopfull he will stay now. He is a hugely patriotic  his dream is to manage Scotland the way he talked up Scottish football I'm very, very hopfull he will stay Stu. You pretend not to be a Saints fan yet you post here daily we know you luv  Saints :)

You're bang on that that's the scope of our budget, but Evans wants someone who can develop our very promising youths this season- many of whom have been in the first-team this season due to injuries, or out on successful loan spells. Just off the top of my head, we have: Dozzell, Downes, Nydam, Fowler, Folami, Emmanuel, Kenlock andWoolfenden ready to take up their first-team places next term. That's a hell of a lot of talent to work with!

Now, I'm not sure if this question's been asked before about JR and youth development? You lot have many youngsters in and around the squad at present? That may prove a stumbling block if he hasn't had that level of experience, although we do have a great U23 coaching team on-hand to lend support.

As regards other clubs in the Champ, we quite enjoying watching Derby's annual multi-million-pound implosions, and the sister-botherers up the road and Leeds have both spent considerably more than us this season, only to finished lower. Silk purses and sows' ears come to mind with us. In fact, I quite like our perception as  poor club as I think it gives us much more leverage in the market. As opposed to say, Wolves or someone, announcing a huge war chest- imagine all those agents licking their lips!

Edited by ITFCReuser

21 hours ago, StuD said:

This is getting silly now! Honestly, on Facebook and on here the psychotic and schizophrenic nature of the St Mirren support has never been more in evidence. 

You get minute by minute posts. "I love Jack Ross", "I think he's going", "Why hasn't he left yet!", "He must be staying", "that bastard clearly wants to go", "Sack Jack Ross and move on". 

The reality is that if Ipswich Town had made up their mind that they wanted Jack Ross they wouldn't be giving him a second interview and leaving him waiting in limbo. He'd have been presented to the media and fans as the new Ipswich manager and St Mirren would be starting the hunt for a new boss. Ross is clearly on their shortlist, but he's absolutely not a shoe in and the longer this goes on the more it looks like Ipswich are stalling waiting on someone else. 

have to agree with this, it's human nature . We're nothing if not a diverse (emotional) bunch.

I'm very much of the belief 'we'll know when we know.' but we have everyone from people that will be genuinely very upset if he goes to people that'll display downright anger that JR hasn't made a life changing decision in 45 seconds/ Ipswich are taking time over recruiting who they feel is the right person for the job. 

Bottom line is regardless of what's going on, no one has the right to force JRs hand or make Ipswich hurry-up (Personally I think Stuart is right and it's Ipswich holding it up). 

Us in agreement Stuart? Must be a full moon. :lol:

28 minutes ago, ITFCReuser said:

You're bang on that that's the scope of our budget, but Evans wants someone who can develop our very promising youths this season- many of whom have been in the first-team this season due to injuries, or out on successful loan spells. Just off the top of my head, we have: Dozzell, Downes, Nydam, Fowler, Folami, Emmanuel, Kenlock andWoolfenden ready to take up their first-team places next term. That's a hell of a lot of talent to work with!

Now, I'm not sure if this question's been asked before about JR and youth development? You lot have many youngsters in and around the squad at present? That may prove a stumbling block if he hasn't had that level of experience, although we do have a great U23 coaching team on-hand to lend support.

As regards other clubs in the Champ, we quite enjoying watching Derby's annual multi-million-pound implosions, and the sister-botherers up the road and Leeds have both spent considerably more than us this season, only to finished lower. Silk purses and sows' ears come to mind with us. In fact, I quite like our perception as  poor club as I think it gives us much more leverage in the market. As opposed to say, Wolves or someone, announcing a huge war chest- imagine all those agents licking their lips!

When Jack took over year ago in October the first thing he did was bin many of the useless existing squad and brought in youngsters from our Academy. We then had a midfield of McAllister (17), Mallan (19), Magennis (17), Morgan (18) with Baird at Centre Half at 20. From being more than a dozen points adrift at the bottom of the table we survived. 3 out of that 5 have now been sold. We have an excellent Academy that churns out decent players over the last few years (McGinn, McLean, Naismith).

Jack can bring on young players from our academy or sign young  players and develop them. Most games this season we fielded 4 or 5 players U21 - one loan signing, a couple from the Academy and a couple of signings who struggled with Premiership teams.

However Jack doesn't want to just be a coach. He wants to win things. Developing young players is not his sole aim. His young players have got to be capable of winning. If Jack doesn't think he can gain promotion then I do not think he will take the job. I know we are not going to win the Premiership but it is an exciting place to be and will be a good test for Jack for next season with the aim of getting into the top six (ie winning a League of the other 7 clubs outwith the top 5). That is quite appealing to him and if Ipswich do not have a hard target of promotion and the appropriate resources then I can see him staying for now.

38 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

have to agree with this, it's human nature . We're nothing if not a diverse (emotional) bunch.

I'm very much of the belief 'we'll know when we know.' but we have everyone from people that will be genuinely very upset if he goes to people that'll display downright anger that JR hasn't made a life changing decision in 45 seconds/ Ipswich are taking time over recruiting who they feel is the right person for the job. 

Bottom line is regardless of what's going on, no one has the right to force JRs hand or make Ipswich hurry-up (Personally I think Stuart is right and it's Ipswich holding it up). 

Us in agreement Stuart? Must be a full moon. :lol:

You should do it more often. Im usually right :D

17 minutes ago, Sonny said:

When Jack took over year ago in October the first thing he did was bin many of the useless existing squad and brought in youngsters from our Academy. We then had a midfield of McAllister (17), Mallan (19), Magennis (17), Morgan (18) with Baird at Centre Half at 20. From being more than a dozen points adrift at the bottom of the table we survived. 3 out of that 5 have now been sold. We have an excellent Academy that churns out decent players over the last few years (McGinn, McLean, Naismith).

Jack can bring on young players from our academy or sign young  players and develop them. Most games this season we fielded 4 or 5 players U21 - one loan signing, a couple from the Academy and a couple of signings who struggled with Premiership teams.

However Jack doesn't want to just be a coach. He wants to win things. Developing young players is not his sole aim. His young players have got to be capable of winning. If Jack doesn't think he can gain promotion then I do not think he will take the job. I know we are not going to win the Premiership but it is an exciting place to be and will be a good test for Jack for next season with the aim of getting into the top six (ie winning a League of the other 7 clubs outwith the top 5). That is quite appealing to him and if Ipswich do not have a hard target of promotion and the appropriate resources then I can see him staying for now.

You know you're supposed to be putting us off your man, right? Haha. Sounds very promising that.

As for winning things... hmm. We haven't been on a cup run since MM took charge, exiting the competition at the first hurdle in most cases, so that is something we'd like to see any new manager take on. We understood it when we were in play-off contention but every other season we had nothing to play for so may as well have had a go. Being humiliated live on BBC one by Lincoln was one of our lowest recent ebbs.

Getting into the play-offs, or being thereabouts throughout the season, is our real aim. However, most of us would take a mid-table place again next year provided that our playing style improves, our youngsters get another year's experience under their belts and the new man is allowed to settle in properly. I'm not sure if you'd regard that as ambitious or not. Indeed, I can really see the appeal of sticking with you guys and having a crack at the Prem, especially considering the great relationship you've built with each other. 

5 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

You just can't help yourself when it comes to making things up.  Not one piece of evidence have I ever seen provided that Jack was keen for Dundee talks to continue. In fact it came from the man's mouth himself at a Q&A that he made the decision to stay put. 

As for Barnsley. The chain of events I remember was JR pulling out 2 days before their manager was revealed. No one was talking about Morais before this and certainly not for 2 days before Jack pulled out. 

So much creative license and filling of knowledge gaps with supposition used here. Just like your claim that you KNOW St. Mirren had the second biggest budget in the league. 

How much evidence have you seen that says Ross didnt want the talks to continue? You're just believing what you want to believe. 

Fact is Neil McCann was always first choice at Dundee. Ross was interviewed and was keen. Whether he was playing Dundee off v St Mirren to get more money or ehether he genuinely wanted the Dundee job is open for speculation but Ross was still talking to Dundee when McCann changed his mind and got the job.

As for Barnsley Morais was shown on TV as being at that Wednesday game. You are looking pretty foolish

You know you're supposed to be putting us off your man, right? Haha. Sounds very promising that.
As for winning things... hmm. We haven't been on a cup run since MM took charge, exiting the competition at the first hurdle in most cases, so that is something we'd like to see any new manager take on. We understood it when we were in play-off contention but every other season we had nothing to play for so may as well have had a go. Being humiliated live on BBC one by Lincoln was one of our lowest recent ebbs.
Getting into the play-offs, or being thereabouts throughout the season, is our real aim. However, most of us would take a mid-table place again next year provided that our playing style improves, our youngsters get another year's experience under their belts and the new man is allowed to settle in properly. I'm not sure if you'd regard that as ambitious or not. Indeed, I can really see the appeal of sticking with you guys and having a crack at the Prem, especially considering the great relationship you've built with each other. 

Jack doesn’t want to steady a ship and sit mid-table. Before a ball was kicked this season, and having avoided relegation only on the last day of the previos season, Jack declared his goal was winning the League. Many laughed and we were certailly not bookies’ favourites. But win it we did and at a canter. The BoD give him free reign and back him to the hilt.

Jack has already stated he is excited about pitting his wits against the like of Brendan Rodgers. Steven Gerrard, Stevie Clark and Derek McInnes. He is not desperate to jump ship. Unless Ipswich declare their goal is promotion and will back it Jack will have great reservations about going there.

15 minutes ago, StuD said:

How much evidence have you seen that says Ross didnt want the talks to continue? You're just believing what you want to believe. 

Fact is Neil McCann was always first choice at Dundee. Ross was interviewed and was keen. Whether he was playing Dundee off v St Mirren to get more money or ehether he genuinely wanted the Dundee job is open for speculation but Ross was still talking to Dundee when McCann changed his mind and got the job.

As for Barnsley Morais was shown on TV as being at that Wednesday game. You are looking pretty foolish

Who cares it's history. What has happened to your Sunderland team or have you got kicked out of that forum also ? 

3 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Jack doesn’t want to steady a ship and sit mid-table. Before a ball was kicked this season, and having avoided relegation only on the last day of the previos season, Jack declared his goal was winning the League. Many laughed and we were certailly not bookies’ favourites. But win it we did and at a canter. The BoD give him free reign and back him to the hilt.

Jack has already stated he is excited about pitting his wits against the like of Brendan Rodgers. Steven Gerrard, Stevie Clark and Derek McInnes. He is not desperate to jump ship. Unless Ipswich declare their goal is promotion and will back it Jack will have great reservations about going there.

Sonny. A lot of sense in what you write and written by others too saying essentially that Jack is ambitious for success. Success in this case not being how much he might earn in the short term. I think you are right but he surely also must investigate opportunities like Ipswich where he could multiply his salary overnight. There are a lot of big clubs in the Championship down there and they bring in big crowds throughout, in many cases only bettered by Celtic and Rangers up here. Tough call for Jack but from his point of view ..not mine as a fan...its a good but difficult choice. Heads I win, Tails I win. 

17 minutes ago, Sonny said:

If Ipswich Town offer Jack Ross the job he will take it in a heartbeat. I doubt he will get a better opportunity.  He'd be a fool not to.

Edited by lenziebud

20 minutes ago, Sonny said:

If you're right then that's ITFC's cornflakes pished all over! Hope either Hurst or JR get the nod and the Simon Grayson link was some sort of sick joke. But it's the hope that kills ya!