Ipswich Town - Permission to Speak with Jack Ross

If Jack was the man they wanted at Ipswich

they would have offered him the job 

after first interview ,they are hedging there bets to see if they can get there first or second choice ,the time its taking i do  not see 

jack now getting ,

get back to work and give us some signings  

1 minute ago, class of 76-77 said:

Ross knocked back Dundee and they went back cap in hand to McCann with an improved offer.

But hey ho that doesn’t fit in with the agenda of a trolling fan who once had a fall out with its former chairman. 

What agenda would that be in this instance? Let's hear your conspiracy theory. If I was so against the club why would I be so keen to point out that Jack Ross have never been offered another job since he took the St Mirren one on? Jack Ross wasn't even first choice for the St Mirren job FFS. 

I've got to question the agenda of those who are determined to make out that Jack Ross has his pick of any club in English Football whilst claiming they wish him to stay at St Mirren. Are you all working as his agent or something? :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Hambud said:
30 minutes ago, munoz said:
To try and persuade him possibly? 

From what I remember he was prepared to listen to him...he listened and said no thanks.

That's Jack Ross's version - yet Dundee had been refused permission to speak to Jack Ross by St Mirren. If things happened in the way you and others are claiming St Mirren would have been quick to lodge a complaint against Dundee for illegally tapping up their manager. That complaint never happened, which proves that the version you've all swallowed was a pile of shite. 

his contract would have gone up with promotion with us 

so wages in proved more than once this season 

so will be on a good wage here ,that should keep him going ,

he would have a long time with us if he keeps going as well as he has been .

better clubs than dundee/ipswhich  will come calling 

24 minutes ago, StuD said:

That's Jack Ross's version - yet Dundee had been refused permission to speak to Jack Ross by St Mirren. If things happened in the way you and others are claiming St Mirren would have been quick to lodge a complaint against Dundee for illegally tapping up their manager. That complaint never happened, which proves that the version you've all swallowed was a pile of shite. 

Looking over the press reports of that time, it's interesting to see that Jack Ross had a clause inserted into his contract ensuring interested clubs would pay no more than £20,000 in compo, for his services.

https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/dundee-may-fly-get-snap-jack-ross/

Edited by Buddie Marvelous

20 minutes ago, mad saint 2 said:

his contract would have gone up with promotion with us 

so wages in proved more than once this season 

so will be on a good wage here ,that should keep him going ,

he would have a long time with us if he keeps going as well as he has been .

better clubs than dundee/ipswhich  will come calling 

One nutter claimed this week he was the fourth best paid manager in Scottish Football and he wasn't challenged. He's not. 

There's been a load of shite written by St Mirren fans or swallowed by St Mirren fans about Jack Ross. He's not a God, he's not the most sought after manager is world football and he's not the new Alex Ferguson. What he actually is a fairly decent manager who after sticky starts at both Alloa and St Mirren has managed to turn it around. He's won the Scottish Championship despite suffering, for a league winning side, a high number of defeats. His signings have been hit and miss - for every Cammy Smith there's been a Darryl Duffy and a Massimo Donati. His stock currently has never been higher particularly because of the praise he's received for the way St Mirren played in many of the matches this season and as such his agent is clearly trying to use this to get him a move away. 

Unlike Fergie Ross hasn't put in place a scouting network that will continue to give St Mirren a direct route to young talent for years to come. He's achieved what he was told to achieve, promotion back to the top flight, and he did it - somewhat surprisingly - as Champions. 

36 minutes ago, StuD said:

One nutter claimed this week he was the fourth best paid manager in Scottish Football and he wasn't challenged. He's not. 

There's been a load of shite written by St Mirren fans or swallowed by St Mirren fans about Jack Ross. He's not a God, he's not the most sought after manager is world football and he's not the new Alex Ferguson. What he actually is a fairly decent manager who after sticky starts at both Alloa and St Mirren has managed to turn it around. He's won the Scottish Championship despite suffering, for a league winning side, a high number of defeats. His signings have been hit and miss - for every Cammy Smith there's been a Darryl Duffy and a Massimo Donati. His stock currently has never been higher particularly because of the praise he's received for the way St Mirren played in many of the matches this season and as such his agent is clearly trying to use this to get him a move away. 

Unlike Fergie Ross hasn't put in place a scouting network that will continue to give St Mirren a direct route to young talent for years to come. He's achieved what he was told to achieve, promotion back to the top flight, and he did it - somewhat surprisingly - as Champions. 

You cannot compare the market in the early 70s to now.  Football has significantly changed in relation to scouting,  player loyalty, wages, cost of football, no reserve leagues, smaller squads, agents, and ability to hold onto talent where many more clubs can offer the green stuff.  You are clearly anti-St Mirren and  2 of the defeats suffered were after we won the league and Jack Ross played weakened teams.. It is laudable to suggest a scouting network but agents will tout any good talent to the clubs who play the better wages.  The way ahead for clubs like ours is to develop our own talent from teens upwards.  It won't stop clubs signing them but we at least get compensation.  Bye the way Darryl Duffy and Donati were brought is a stop gaps in the event they were needed.  There was no way either would be deemed first team selections.

I think if both parties had continued their interest then Dundee would have had to make things good with St Mirren or risked the compliant.

However it never got to that stage again this is what I'm talking lead to believe it possibly is true or not true.

There are loads of ways of stopping complaints from being lodged and there is also no point in complaining if the end result is in your favour.

In this case there was no need for St Mirren to stir it up with Dundee as all was well as it ended well.

1 minute ago, nedflanders123 said:

You cannot compare the market in the early 70s to now.  Football has significantly changed in relation to scouting,  player loyalty, wages, cost of football, no reserve leagues, smaller squads, agents, and ability to hold onto talent where many more clubs can offer the green stuff.  You are clearly anti-St Mirren and  2 of the defeats suffered were after we won the league and Jack Ross played weakened teams.. It is laudable to suggest a scouting network but agents will tout any good talent to the clubs who play the better wages.  The way ahead for clubs like ours is to develop our own talent from teens upwards.  It won't stop clubs signing them but we at least get compensation.  Bye the way Darryl Duffy and Donati were brought is a stop gaps in the event they were needed.  There was no way either would be deemed first team selections.

Ofcourse you can. Back in the 70's clubs didn't run large expensive youth academies. They couldn't sign a youngster on an S'Form until they were at least 14 years old.  These days you've got a system where kids are attached and training with senior clubs at the age of 8 - usually the fastest, tallest, strongest kids at that age - and they get released by the age of 10 or 11 because their peers have grown where they haven't. And today if you don't have a club by the time you are 13 or 14 you're on the soccer scrapheap cause no-one that runs an academy is going to bother scouting your football matches no matter how good or how successful your team is. 

Back then St Mirren didn't have a huge network of scouts. Fergie had contacts who would give him the names of players he should have a look at and Fergie ensured he got people there to watch them. 

These days players as young as 13 years old command transfer fees - one as high as £2m. Back in the 70's that was impossible. 

8 minutes ago, Hambud said:

I think if both parties had continued their interest then Dundee would have had to make things good with St Mirren or risked the compliant.

However it never got to that stage again this is what I'm talking lead to believe it possibly is true or not true.

There are loads of ways of stopping complaints from being lodged and there is also no point in complaining if the end result is in your favour.

In this case there was no need for St Mirren to stir it up with Dundee as all was well as it ended well.

That's what I've been saying though Hambud. Ross was never offered the job. He wasn't in a position to accept it. He was approached, certainly. He was interested, despite telling St Mirren fans he wasn't. He would have taken it if he was offered it, but he wasn't. Dundee couldn't offer it to him because they hadn't agreed terms with St Mirren, and they hadn't agreed terms with Jack Ross. Then Neil McCann changed his mind and took the job and Ross's chance had gone.  Ross then did what he did after the Barnsley nonsense. He got his pals in the media to write about how he still had work to do at St Mirren, how he wasn't finished and how he never wanted the Dundee job anyway and - it seems - a large number of hugely gullible fans swallowed it. 

If the Sunderland job is opened up to applicants on Monday I'm sure Jack Ross will be touting himself for that job too. Why wouldn't he? I expect Chris Wilder to be appointed myself but if that doesn't happen then I'm sure Sunderland will look at applications. I can't blame Ross or his agent for trying to get him a move when his stock is high. Those of us that have been around long enough will remember just how fickle and just how quickly St Mirren fans can turn on their managers that get any sort of success. 

19 minutes ago, StuD said:

Ofcourse you can. Back in the 70's clubs didn't run large expensive youth academies. They couldn't sign a youngster on an S'Form until they were at least 14 years old.  These days you've got a system where kids are attached and training with senior clubs at the age of 8 - usually the fastest, tallest, strongest kids at that age - and they get released by the age of 10 or 11 because their peers have grown where they haven't. And today if you don't have a club by the time you are 13 or 14 you're on the soccer scrapheap cause no-one that runs an academy is going to bother scouting your football matches no matter how good or how successful your team is. 

Back then St Mirren didn't have a huge network of scouts. Fergie had contacts who would give him the names of players he should have a look at and Fergie ensured he got people there to watch them. 

These days players as young as 13 years old command transfer fees - one as high as £2m. Back in the 70's that was impossible. 

You start your response by saying "of course you can" and end with "back in 70s that was impossible". You cannot compare the football market in 74 to 2018. Buying and retaining players is now driven by greed and football agents. Transfer fees are almost a thing of the past for clubs of our size and our core support is the same as it has been for 60 years bar the 76/77 season  when our support was boosted by disgruntled IBrox fans who saw better football than down Govan way.  The cost of going to the game bars many from attending so St Mirren is competing for scraps with clubs similar in size.  Scouting still happens but most young talented kids will have stars in their eyes and want to go to the bigger clubs even if the majority dontbgetva chance or at best, warm the bench.  How do St Mirren compete when clubs offer more because we stick to a wage structure and live within our means   e.g Loy to Falkirk?  

That's what I've been saying though Hambud. Ross was never offered the job. He wasn't in a position to accept it. He was approached, certainly. He was interested, despite telling St Mirren fans he wasn't. He would have taken it if he was offered it, but he wasn't. Dundee couldn't offer it to him because they hadn't agreed terms with St Mirren, and they hadn't agreed terms with Jack Ross. Then Neil McCann changed his mind and took the job and Ross's chance had gone.  Ross then did what he did after the Barnsley nonsense. He got his pals in the media to write about how he still had work to do at St Mirren, how he wasn't finished and how he never wanted the Dundee job anyway and - it seems - a large number of hugely gullible fans swallowed it. 
If the Sunderland job is opened up to applicants on Monday I'm sure Jack Ross will be touting himself for that job too. Why wouldn't he? I expect Chris Wilder to be appointed myself but if that doesn't happen then I'm sure Sunderland will look at applications. I can't blame Ross or his agent for trying to get him a move when his stock is high. Those of us that have been around long enough will remember just how fickle and just how quickly St Mirren fans can turn on their managers that get any sort of success. 

What is your agenda here Stuart???

You are away from the forum for years & come back to re-start your campaign of hate against all things St Mirren.

Out of all the posts I've read on here 1 person(only you) is saying Jack Ross would have went to Dundee if offered I take it you have proof of this that you would like to provide to all of us lesser mortals.

I could actually have believed that if it was a stand alone comment from you but then you write the "Media Darlings" part about the Barnsley job and you start to sound like an angry ex girlfriend jealous of the new squeeze in her ex's life.

The last 18 months where most things were rosy in the St Mirren garden must have seriously depressed you and you have sat in your little garden shed plotting revenge & this pathetic nonsense is all you can come up with.

I don't really care if Jack Ross was/is interested in every managerial job in the UK as we all knew long ago it was only a matter of time before he left & when he does life goes on but your hate campaign will drag on alot longer as you just can't let go.

40 minutes ago, nedflanders123 said:

You start your response by saying "of course you can" and end with "back in 70s that was impossible". You cannot compare the football market in 74 to 2018. Buying and retaining players is now driven by greed and football agents. Transfer fees are almost a thing of the past for clubs of our size and our core support is the same as it has been for 60 years bar the 76/77 season  when our support was boosted by disgruntled IBrox fans who saw better football than down Govan way.  The cost of going to the game bars many from attending so St Mirren is competing for scraps with clubs similar in size.  Scouting still happens but most young talented kids will have stars in their eyes and want to go to the bigger clubs even if the majority dontbgetva chance or at best, warm the bench.  How do St Mirren compete when clubs offer more because we stick to a wage structure and live within our means   e.g Loy to Falkirk?  

Do you know why kids sign for Celtic or "Rangers" over say St Mirren, Kilmarnock, or Hibs? I know cause I've seen it first hand on a number of occasions. It's a really easy sell and it's got f**k all to do with money or indeed with players having stars in their eyes. I've seen passionate Motherwell supporting kids signing for Celtic instead of Motherwell. I've seen a Rangers supporting kid who had offers from Motherwell, Aberdeen and Celtic agonise before being convinced to sign for Celtic. The representatives of those clubs simply point out that if the child doesn't make it with Rangers or Celtic there will be no end of clubs like St Mirren, Motherwell, Kilmarnock or Hibs ready to give them a career anyway. They aren't wrong either. At St Mirren Kyle McAllister, Kenny McLean, and Lewis Morgan were all Old Firm rejects. In the Scotland Squad selected for Peru and Mexico another new cap is Stephen O'Donnell of Kilmarnock  - who failed to make it at Celtic and there's loads more examples from Liam Henderson, Dylan McGeogh, right down to your Paul McMullen or Thomas O'Ware. They then ask the parent to give examples of failed St Mirren, Kilmarnock or Hibs youth players that have gone on to have full time professional careers. 

The academy system is bonkers, but it's even more bonkers when clubs routinely refuse to scout kids over the age of 14 playing in the local leagues. It's bonkers when clubs refuse to build networks with those running juvenile clubs. And it's bonkers that when having identified a kid that the senior club might like they then piss off the juvenile club by demanding the release their registered player from playing for their side in a competitive match, so the child can travel to some friendly where he might get five minutes at the end of a match to impress a coach. 

But my favourite part of your post was saved for the last sentence where you think St Mirren can't compete with Falkirk when it comes to wages citing Rory Loy as an example. FFS, there are at least four St Mirren players on a considerably higher wage than Loy. :rolleyes: 

52 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

What is your agenda here Stuart???

You are away from the forum for years & come back to re-start your campaign of hate against all things St Mirren.

Out of all the posts I've read on here 1 person(only you) is saying Jack Ross would have went to Dundee if offered I take it you have proof of this that you would like to provide to all of us lesser mortals.

I could actually have believed that if it was a stand alone comment from you but then you write the "Media Darlings" part about the Barnsley job and you start to sound like an angry ex girlfriend jealous of the new squeeze in her ex's life.

The last 18 months where most things were rosy in the St Mirren garden must have seriously depressed you and you have sat in your little garden shed plotting revenge & this pathetic nonsense is all you can come up with.

I don't really care if Jack Ross was/is interested in every managerial job in the UK as we all knew long ago it was only a matter of time before he left & when he does life goes on but your hate campaign will drag on alot longer as you just can't let go.

I'm not "hating" anything Ronnie. Simply pointing out the facts to some poor deluded fools who seem to have lost all sense of reason. 

15 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

I'd there is something Stuart can do is start a debate with a spanner thrown in to loosen up a few nuts and bolts lol. 

There's loads of nuts on this forum - that's for sure. :rolleyes: 

If you think Loy signed for the love of Falkirk and not more money than we were offering then you are perhaps more naive than I thought.   The point about other players being on higher wages than him at St Mirren is irrelevant.  I was citing the case of Loy as an example where a club e.g.   Falkirk offered more than what our club deemed he was worth contract wise or couldn't match.

Do you honestly believe that any young kid  being touted for any of the top clubs in England or Scotland wouldn't have their parents thinking of the possible wages earned at those clubs than diddy clubs like ours?  A lot of kids are in the sport dreaming of earning loads of money with the biggest clubs much like those kids who want instant success through TV talent shows.  I am not saying all kids do this but in the 21st Century most young people want instant success and stardom.  There are many in football who fail at those top clubs and end up lower down the leagues with provincial clubs.  

15 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:

StuD does raise some reasonable points but generally they are the bait that drag people in to allow him to continue to advance his anti saints agenda, skim and don't respond and hopefully it will all go away for a few months.

Dickson also has a very large chip in his shoulder , which should be remembered . .

10 minutes ago, nedflanders123 said:

If you think Loy signed for the love of Falkirk and not more money than we were offering then you are perhaps more naive than I thought.   The point about other players being on higher wages than him at St Mirren is irrelevant.  I was citing the case of Loy as an example where a club e.g.   Falkirk offered more than what our club deemed he was worth contract wise or couldn't match.

Do you honestly believe that any young kid  being touted for any of the top clubs in England or Scotland wouldn't have their parents thinking of the possible wages earned at those clubs than diddy clubs like ours?  A lot of kids are in the sport dreaming of earning loads of money with the biggest clubs much like those kids who want instant success through TV talent shows.  I am not saying all kids do this but in the 21st Century most young people want instant success and stardom.  There are many in football who fail at those top clubs and end up lower down the leagues with provincial clubs.  

Falkirk are currently rated above St Mirren in the Business Insider Scottish Football review in terms of financial and business management.  Falkirk changed their CEO mid season.  One of the first actions taken was to get rid of their youth academy.  Their stadium is essentially owned by the council.  They also have a trust which is very active in the community.  They have a gym for high performance athletes and a 7 day a week cafe/restaurant and meeting rooms etc.  A number of organisations rent space.  The CEO is (I believe)  CEO of the trust.  The playing surface is well used by the community.  The car park has car cleaning and a learn to drive area for under 17s. They are investing in  their Trust staff,  at least one of whom,  is studying part time for an MBA after life as a player and a coach.  

I am an unashamed fan of Saint Mirren.  We have some catch up-to do on our off the field and community involvement but,  just like our team on the pitch,  we are on our way.  I don't think SD is being negative in bringing things forward where we can do better.  Doesn't mean that I expect to agree with him or he with me all of the time. 

32 minutes ago, nedflanders123 said:

Instant success and stardom in football is far more likely if you break through with a club like St Mirren. It's much more difficult to be a youngster and to get a start in the Celtic line up. Kids might not be that pragmatic but parents certainly are - in the main. The truth is though that the argument that Celtic and "Rangers" put up in their recruitment is absolutely valid. 50% - 60% of Old Firms reject will get full time work in football. You simply cannot say the same thing about other academies in Scotland. They can claim this is proof their coaching is better - in reality its more a case of their recruitment being better - whilst clubs like St Mirren are more than happy to feed off the scraps.