Ipswich Town - Permission to Speak with Jack Ross

Couple of things we should bear in mind ...

- Jack hasn't applied for other jobs - Clubs approached him. If he hasn't been offered any jobs then there is nothing to report.

- Jack has starting his rebuilding for next season and has identified targets. He wasn't sitting about doing nothing.

- Jack and every manager and footballer in Britain is now about to embark on their holidays in the only short time-frame available. This is what happens every year. Signings take place when footballers return and their contracts are up which for most are the end of May.

- Would supporters rather have Alex Rae or Jack Ross as the manager? I'll tolerate the speculation if it means that we actually have a decent manager at the helm and not one of the many recent imposters.

- The sun is shining - go and chill.  :)

1 hour ago, Drew said:

JR offered improved terms to stay:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/44203044?__twitter_impression=true

Have to say, I'm a bit ambivalent about this.

Not sure what else we could do. It's forcing Jack to make a decision regardless of if Ipswich offer him anything. If he signs it, he's happy to stay for now, if not he's looking for something else. 

Simple but effective way to see what his thoughts are at present. You imagine it will come with some sort of guarantee though that the ability to talk to whoever makes an approach is stricter and more at the club's discretion. 

1 hour ago, Drew said:

JR offered improved terms to stay:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/44203044?__twitter_impression=true

Have to say, I'm a bit ambivalent about this.

Maybe the improved contract specifies the compensation payable to the club if he leaves. And perhaps a deal to loan the manger back to us for a season !

37 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Couple of things we should bear in mind ...

- Jack hasn't applied for other jobs - Clubs approached him. If he hasn't been offered any jobs then there is nothing to report.

- Jack has starting his rebuilding for next season and has identified targets. He wasn't sitting about doing nothing.

- Jack and every manager and footballer in Britain is now about to embark on their holidays in the only short time-frame available. This is what happens every year. Signings take place when footballers return and their contracts are up which for most are the end of May.

- Would supporters rather have Alex Rae or Jack Ross as the manager? I'll tolerate the speculation if it means that we actually have a decent manager at the helm and not one of the many recent imposters.

- The sun is shining - go and chill.  :)

Agree. And I’m sure the board have a replacement lined up if JR does leave.

Anyone remember when we signed players last summer ? I remember thinking we got our business done much earlier than normal but not when that actually was.

14 minutes ago, turrabuddie said:

Maybe the improved contract specifies the compensation payable to the club if he leaves. And perhaps a deal to loan the manger back to us for a season !

Agree with the former.........very much doubt the latter!

55 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Just read Ipswich under chairman Evens having been paying 1 million plus a year. Guess where Jack is going if he is offered the job don't think even Celtic pay that a year.

Fat Sally was nearly earning that while in the 2nd division :lol: 

Didn't Div say a few days ago that the word from north and south of the border was that Jack would become Ipswich manager in the next few days? Since then Ipswich have talked to other candidates and said they might not appoint a new manager until early June, and now Jack has "held talks" with Sunderland, and now today he is being offered his third new improved contract in 12 months. I don't think Jack has done much since signing his latest new improved contract in mid-February to earn a new improved deal - the Championship was pretty much won with 12 games left to play. We were on 54 points at the stage and Livingston 12 games later finished on 62 points... we would have needed to lose pretty much all 12 games to finish 2nd or 3rd.

Jack's record since the last bumper new deal:

Played 12: Won 6: Drawn 2: Lost 4: For 18: Against 12

Although half of our defeats came after we had secured the title, 2 of our wins were 1-0 victories over a Brechin team who failed to pick up a single point in 2018. If Jack really was a managerial demi-god, surely in at least one of our games against Brechin we could have won comfortably, in a bit of style, with some of his famed attacking free-flowing football. Post Barnsley we had good run of results in March which tied up the title beating Queen of the South away 3-1; thumping Dumbarton 5-0;  beating Dunfermline and also drawing up in Inverness, but there are also a few results which show Jack doesn't walk on water:

Livingston 4 - St Mirren 1 (17th February - 1st game on the 2nd improved contract of the season for JR)

Dundee United 1 - St Mirren 0

St Mirren 0 - Livingston 0

St Mirren 1 - Falkirk 2

Falkirk 1 - St Mirren 0

3 games in the last 6 where we failed to score.

I wouldn't have been fussed if the board had said to Jack that he was only on a better salary this season because we were in the top league and we wouldn't be tabling a better offer than he was given in mid-February, and let's see if Ipswich or Sunderland really go ahead and appoint Jack Ross. Sunderland's previous manager had managed in the EPL and taken Wales to 8th in FIFA's world ranking and their first major tournament since 1958 and despite having talks with Sunderland and being a favourite for the job the latest news is the new chairman wants to reappoint Chris Coleman: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/may/21/sunderland-takeover-stewart-donald-chris-coleman-return

In a week full of agent spread news reports - here's more St Mirren fans reacting to yet another agents news story. Has anyone at the club confirmed Jack Ross has been offered improved terms or is this just another attempt by the agent to put in place an all too familiar cover story about why Jack Ross wants to stay in Paisley and finish the job he started :rolleyes: 

4 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Didn't Div say a few days ago that the word from north and south of the border was that Jack would become Ipswich manager in the next few days? Since then Ipswich have talked to other candidates and said they might not appoint a new manager until early June, and now Jack has "held talks" with Sunderland, and now today he is being offered his third new improved contract in 12 months.

Div must be related to Jack Ross's agent. He was writing a reference for him on this website trying to punt him to Ipswich too. :rolleyes: 

BTW the Sunderland takeover deal completed today as I reported on Friday. Stewart Donald did a live web cast to outline his plans for the club and to outline how the deal is being financed with staged payments to Ellis Short and a significant initial investment in the club. He also stated the new manager would be in place within the next seven days. In the meantime Chris Wilder- who on Friday was supposed to have agreed a new contract at Sheffield United - still hasn't signed it and Wilder is still Sunderland's number one choice. And Jack Ross is still St Mirren manager. 

Edited by StuD

9 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

So Jack's agent wants St Mirren fans to know that Jack is only here for the money? Aye, right.

Nope - Jacks agent wants to tell the world that Jack is rejecting the Ipswich and Sunderland jobs because he got a new improved contract at St Mirren - when in reality nothing St Mirren could offer Ross could ever come close to what either club pays even their most inexperienced managers. The truth is Ipswich and Sunderland don't want Ross and within a week he'll be kissing the badge again telling everyone he never wanted to go. 

As Trump would say it's all fake news

Nope - Jacks agent wants to tell the world that Jack is rejecting the Ipswich and Sunderland jobs because he got a new improved contract at St Mirren - when in reality nothing St Mirren could offer Ross could ever come close to what either club pays even their most inexperienced managers. The truth is Ipswich and Sunderland don't want Ross and within a week he'll be kissing the badge again telling everyone he never wanted to go. 
I certainly hope so

16 minutes ago, StuD said:

Yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn......

...nnnnnnnnnnn.

18 minutes ago, StuD said:

I've asked before and I'll ask again.....why do you of all people care?

You're not a St. Mirren fan.

You're not a stakeholder in SMISA.

So why do you spend so much time and energy on here telling all and sundry about 'The truth' when the only person spouting made up stuff appears to be you?

Edited by djchapsticks

16 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I've asked before and I'll ask again.....why do you of all people care?

You're not a St. Mirren fan.

You're not a stakeholder in SMISA.

So why do you spend so much time and energy on here telling all and sundry about 'The truth' when the only person spouting made up stuff appears to be you?

Bollocks DJ. 

On here we've got people who claim that Jack Ross turned down the Dundee, MK Dons and Barnsley job. They didn't believe Jack Ross wasn't offered those jobs - yet indeed he wasn't, He hasn't been offered the Ipswich job either. And he's not been in talks with Sunderland today either. What's absolutely clear is that had any of those clubs offered him a managers job he'd have dropped St Mirren's "project" and disappeared in a cloud of dust. 

I'm not sure what sort of boner it gives some St Mirren fans to think that half the world want their manager, or quite why they feel the need for perpetual drama. You've got some mad bastards concluding on here that Jack Ross should now be sacked - three weeks after winning the league. You've got others pledging to go to watch Ipswich a few times this season because Ipswich were reported to want to recruit the St Mirren manager. The fact is Ross has been offered NOTHING as yet and it's not looking likely that he will be either despite "superfan" Div's best attempts to help Jack Ross on his way. 

My status as a fan or as a SMISA member is irrelevant. I'm simply stating the facts. If I was making it up - Ross would be being presented to the media as the new Ipswich / Sunderland manager right now and that isn't happening. 

Edited by StuD

3 minutes ago, StuD said:

Bollocks DJ. 

On here we've got people who claim that Jack Ross turned down the Dundee, MK Dons and Barnsley job. They didn't believe Jack Ross wasn't offered those jobs - yet indeed he wasn't, He hasn't been offered the Ipswich job either. And he's not been in talks with Sunderland today either. What's absolutely clear is that had any of those clubs offered him a managers job he'd have dropped St Mirren's "project" and disappeared in a cloud of dust. 

I'm not sure what sort of boner it gives some St Mirren fans to think that half the world want their manager, or quite why they feel the need for perpetual drama. You've got some mad bastards concluding on here that Jack Ross should now be sacked - three weeks after winning the league. You've got others pledging to go to watch Ipswich a few times this season because Ipswich were reported to want to recruit the St Mirren manager. The fact is Ross has been offered NOTHING as yet and it's not looking likely that he will be either despite "superfan" Div's best attempts to help Jack Ross on his way. 

My status as a fan or as a SMISA member is irrelevant. I'm simply stating the facts. If I was making it up - Ross would be being presented to the media as the new Ipswich / Sunderland manager right now and that isn't happening. 

Which is nice but it doesn't answer the question - why do you care?

If there are St. Mirren fans who are deluded enough to feel that all and sundry want Jack Ross - why do you care? How does it affect you to the point where you need to entrench yourself on here and take on all comers?

If there are St. Mirren fans who have decided they'd take an Ipswich game in - what is it to you? They don't represent you. They aren't even part of the same fanbase as you so why does that irk you so?

If Div, or anyone has talked Jack Ross up in the media, why on Earth would you give even the faintest whiff of a shit?

Your status as a fan or otherwise is absolutely relevant in this instance because I'm not asking you to verify your claims ( several of which, ARE made up - second biggest budget in the league 'FACT' despite no proof to back this up), I'm asking you to justify why you insist on fighting so hard when it doesn't affect you, yet inexplicably,  you've spent the best part of two decades telling everyone how you're not a St. Mirren fan and have no affinity with the club.

I've got to say as well another thing I don't get is that I'm being accused by some users of being "negative" or "derogatory towards the club". My position is 100% that Jack Ross has not been offered any other managers post to this point and as far as I understood it Jack Ross staying at St Mirren was exactly what the majority of St Mirren fans wanted. I'm giving you good news - honest news - and still I get derided for it. :rolleyes: I'm almost surprised I haven't been thrown in the sin bin for giving you the news you all wanted to hear. 

Schizophrenic and psychotic - yep that seems to rather accurately describe a huge section of the St Mirren support both on here and on Facebook. 

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Which is nice but it doesn't answer the question - why do you care?

If there are St. Mirren fans who are deluded enough to feel that all and sundry want Jack Ross - why do you care? How does it affect you to the point where you need to entrench yourself on here and take on all comers?

If there are St. Mirren fans who have decided they'd take an Ipswich game in - what is it to you? They don't represent you. They aren't even part of the same fanbase as you so why does that irk you so?

If Div, or anyone has talked Jack Ross up in the media, why on Earth would you give even the faintest whiff of a shit?

Your status as a fan or otherwise is absolutely relevant in this instance because I'm not asking you to verify your claims ( several of which, ARE made up - second biggest budget in the league 'FACT' despite no proof to back this up), I'm asking you to justify why you insist on fighting so hard when it doesn't affect you, yet inexplicably,  you've spent the best part of two decades telling everyone how you're not a St. Mirren fan and have no affinity with the club.

Jack Ross did have the second biggest budget in the Championship. That will be revealed when the annual accounts are published. He had a substantially higher wage budget than Alex Rae too or Ian Murray had to work with too. 

2 minutes ago, StuD said:

Jack Ross did have the second biggest budget in the Championship. That will be revealed when the annual accounts are published. He had a substantially higher wage budget than Alex Rae too or Ian Murray had to work with too. 

Still juking the question, I see.