Jack Ross v David Hopkin. Who has achieved more?

Hopkin has achieved more now. Surely there's no question about that. Two promotions and one relegation in three seasons, trumps one promotion and one relegation in three seasons - and that's before you factor in the respective sizes of the wage budgets available to each manager. 

Edited by StuD

I don't think there is any mileage in  trying to work out which of them is best.

Both have had a tremendous effect in turning their clubs around.

Relative finances are irrelevant. Both transformed the attitudes at their clubs and both are in the Premiership.

Pretty sure neither of them gives a shit about anything else.

22 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Pretty sure neither of them gives a shit about anything else.

True, but its pretty important when it comes to another club looking at who they should look to recruit. Ross turned over a football team operating with a decent wage budget and with some transfer cash. Many of his signings have been flops, but some of them have worked extremely well and St Mirren have been relatively pleasing on the eye as a result. For many in the St Mirren squad this season looked easy. Players didn't look like they were having to push themselves much to get results, indeed some of the performances after January looked really lethargic having got in front.  

Hopkin has got a far more unfashionable side, with a much smaller average home gate to the Premiership whilst showing a great deal more tactical pragmatism. He even lost one of his top goalscorers - Danny Mullen - to St Mirren and had to replace him with Jack Ross reject Ryan Hardie, and to most with eyes in their head watching on it looked like Hopkin had done the better bit of business. 

Edited by StuD

8 minutes ago, windae cleaner said:

For once i will agree with Stu Dickson

We are now where we should be in my eyes

Livy shouldn't but now are

They outplayed Thistle with their style which will cause problems next season

Modern day crazy gang

I wouldn't say they outplayed Thistle more they were tactically better , but must also say that Thistle were not too impressive.

Just now, linwood buddie said:

I wouldn't say they outplayed Thistle more they were tactically better , but must also say that Thistle were not too impressive.

I'd go further. Livi weren't in the least impressive in the second game. Partick were toothless and lethargic. At one point they had 60 odd % possession but failed to make Alexander work for his coins. 

5 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

I'd go further. Livi weren't in the least impressive in the second game. Partick were toothless and lethargic. At one point they had 60 odd % possession but failed to make Alexander work for his coins. 

I disagree. Livingston went into the second leg with a 1 goal lead to hang onto. They were organised and set up to be difficult to break down and Thistle simply couldn't land a glove on them until they got that penalty in the last minute. Over the two legs Hopkin out thought Archibald and he got it exactly right with a total wage budget that would have been around a quarter of Thistles. Thistle are not the best side by any manner of means but you have to credit Hopkin with setting his stall up and his game plan working. 

This is a good debate.  Let us not be sidelined with Dickson's hatred of our club.

Anyway I find it hard to call, merit on both sides but.....when you consider the reports that Livis's playing budget was amongst the lowest in the division I find it extremely hard to call (and I do have a Paisley bias).

Anyway well done Livingston, well done indeed

The question was who has achieved more. It's quite obvious. Both managers have suffered a relegation, one manager has been promoted once, the other has been promoted twice. By definition there is no contest. The manager with two promotions wins. I wouldn't have said that before today's match but now Livingston have been promoted it's a really simple question to answer. 

There really shouldn't be a debate. 

Ross' Alloa were relegated from the championship as a part timer team. He then saved a dead in the water Saint Mirren from relegation and WON the Championship to gain promotion to the top division. Hopkins got relegated when there were two part time teams in the league, won ONE division 1 title against mainly part time teams and got Livi promoted WITHOUT winning the league. Trying to put an anti Saints negative slant on things is plain stupid

Edited by stlucifer

Tactics was not the major influence on the outcome of today's match.

Livi were obviously up for the task ahead whereas Partick reminded me of St Mirren in their death throws of a few seasons ago, and that was the main determining factor.

Both Livi and Saints may be looking for new managers before the start of next season so the future for both clubs is uncertain at present.

However, both managers are unlikely to enjoy more successful seasons than the one just completed.

1 hour ago, stlucifer said:

Ross' Alloa were relegated from the championship as a part timer team. He then saved a dead in the water Saint Mirren from relegation and WON the Championship to gain promotion to the top division. Hopkins got relegated when there were two part time teams in the league, won ONE division 1 title against mainly part time teams and got Livi promoted WITHOUT winning the league. Trying to put an anti Saints negative slant on things is plain stupid

Hopkin, with a fraction of St Mirren's operating budget lost 8 league matches this season. Exactly the same number as St Mirren. But regardless it is absurd to skew the facts. Hopkin has two promotions to his name and one relegation. Ross has one relegation and one promotion. Hopkin has clearly achieved more in the game. 

Guest TPAFKATS

Getting Livi promoted today was a great achievement. Last year though? Surely getting Livi promoted to the championship last year was pretty much expected.
As for counting the number of promotions as the mark of success, Neil warnock must be the most successful manager in English football history... Aye, right

20 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Getting Livi promoted today was a great achievement. Last year though? Surely getting Livi promoted to the championship last year was pretty much expected.
As for counting the number of promotions as the mark of success, Neil warnock must be the most successful manager in English football history... Aye, right

Obviously promotions are trumped by title wins, major cup wins etc. I really didn't think I'd have to explain that....but yet still on BAWA.... :rolleyes:

2nd highest wage budget in the Champions hip, you could say the same about Jack Ross

10 hours ago, StuD said:

Hopkin, with a fraction of St Mirren's operating budget lost 8 league matches this season. Exactly the same number as St Mirren. But regardless it is absurd to skew the facts. 

But by presenting that as a stone-cold fact, you are failing to take into account that we had the title sewn up with a handful of games to play. If you look at our form for the last six matches it's pretty much relegation stuff. 

Like you say, though, it's absurd to skew the facts.

10 hours ago, StuD said:

Hopkin, with a fraction of St Mirren's operating budget lost 8 league matches this season. Exactly the same number as St Mirren. But regardless it is absurd to skew the facts. Hopkin has two promotions to his name and one relegation. Ross has one relegation and one promotion. Hopkin has clearly achieved more in the game. 

I will assume you also forgot to say that under Ross, saints won 6 games more, scored more goals, lost less goals, had a better GD, won more points (12) than Livy and also actually won the championship, something Hopkin had never done  :lol: