Sunderland Speak To Jack Ross

Hmm. When I mentioned it being above board earlier, perhaps I should have said behind (the backs of the) board.

Its all a wee bit tawdry. Whilst it's disappointing to some extent, I don't doubt it is pretty typical. It would be naive to think otherwise.

It would be best all round if Sunderland announce JR as their man tomorrow and we can now get on with the business at hand.

Edited by Drew

Just now, Drew said:

Hmm. When I mentioned it being above board earlier, perhaps I should have said behind (the backs of the) board.

Its all a wee bit tawdry. Whilst it's disappointing to some extent, I don't doubt it is pretty typical. It would be naive to think otherwise.

It would be best all round I'd Sunderland announce JR as their man tomorrow and we can now get on with the business at hand.

Pragmatic and sensible Drew.  I concur. 

Jack Ross has not exactly covered himself in glory with all the Ipswich/Sunderland speculation, nor may I say have our illustrious board who granted the manager permission to talk to Ipswich but, not Sunderland if reports are to be believed. I have no issue with any manager or player moving on, however as a St Mirren fan I WANT WHAT'S BEST FOR ST,MIRREN!!! 

By that I mean binding contracts, a long term sustainable plan and ultimately success on the pitch for Saints.  I personally couldn't give two hoots about Ipswich, Sunderland or any other team for that matter only St Mirren. This whole saga may have a negative impact on our recruitment policy for next season (who sanctioned  the signing from Dirty Dancing yesterday??).

As for Jack and his we're on our way speech in The Bankhouse it all seems very hollow and shallow now. The only thing that remains loyal at any football club is the fans, end of.

On a brighter note given our recent promotion we should be able to attract a better calibre of manager as normal process would be club struggling, results poor, manager sacked, not so in this case.  Let's just hope the whole managerial saga is resolved ASAP in order to build for next season and get the club set on the right road for what I suspect will be a difficult season, with or without Jack Ross. (I may add he walked out on Hartlepool during  his playing career wonder if North East history will repeat itself).

23 minutes ago, div said:

Will be interesting to see how Dicky twists this one round emoji106.png

No reason too. It's quite clear what I said and what I believe. This is a potentially catastrophic appointment for Sunderland. Ross is going to be massively out of his depth - at least until Donald gets him in a Director of Football to run the football operations at the club.

15 minutes ago, alshboy said:

Jack Ross has not exactly covered himself in glory with all the Ipswich/Sunderland speculation, nor may I say have our illustrious board who granted the manager permission to talk to Ipswich but, not Sunderland if reports are to be believed. I have no issue with any manager or player moving on, however as a St Mirren fan I WANT WHAT'S BEST FOR ST,MIRREN!!! 

By that I mean binding contracts, a long term sustainable plan and ultimately success on the pitch for Saints.  I personally couldn't give two hoots about Ipswich, Sunderland or any other team for that matter only St Mirren. This whole saga may have a negative impact on our recruitment policy for next season (who sanctioned  the signing from Dirty Dancing yesterday??).

As for Jack and his we're on our way speech in The Bankhouse it all seems very hollow and shallow now. The only thing that remains loyal at any football club is the fans, end of.

On a brighter note given our recent promotion we should be able to attract a better calibre of manager as normal process would be club struggling, results poor, manager sacked, not so in this case.  Let's just hope the whole managerial saga is resolved ASAP in order to build for next season and get the club set on the right road for what I suspect will be a difficult season, with or without Jack Ross. (I may add he walked out on Hartlepool during  his playing career wonder if North East history will repeat itself).

From a St Mirren perspective the club will go on. Jack Ross is just like any other employee in that regard. Maybe this time St Mirren will appoint someone who won't take three months and an embarrassingly desperate appeal for players on LinkedIn to get started. Hopefully Gordon Scott and Co will find a manager who doesn't waste resources signing players to loan to Alloa. 

From a St Mirren perspective the club will go on. Jack Ross is just like any other employee in that regard. Maybe this time St Mirren will appoint someone who won't take three months and an embarrassingly desperate appeal for players on LinkedIn to get started. Hopefully Gordon Scott and Co will find a manager who doesn't waste resources signing players to loan to Alloa. 

I found myself laughing heartily at this and then realised that you weren’t trying to be funny.

You really are a bitter, twisted, blowhard.

1 minute ago, Stu said:

In line with my own thoughts on how this might pan out.  We may have a Championship Mug on display on the forum but our board are no mugs. 

Played a quiet hand with their cards close to their chests and let the hare loose to run for the greyhound from the south to chase. 

Good stuff. 

Evening! Sunderland fan in peace here, just trying to find out a little more about Ross.. what can we expect from him?
You're a canny club and I wish you all the best for the coming season back in the big time. I reckon you'll take a few scalps.

Read the thread on Ipswich where we give lots of genuine and heartfelt comments to the IT fans. On here at the moment is a touch of bitterness about the whole affair.

25 minutes ago, StuD said:

What a pitiful attempt at deflection:lol:

36 minutes ago, StuD said:

No reason too. It's quite clear what I said and what I believe. This is a potentially catastrophic appointment for Sunderland. Ross is going to be massively out of his depth - at least until Donald gets him in a Director of Football to run the football operations at the club.

Is that the route they have outlined ? I would be very surprised if Ross has signed up to them on that basis. He is by all accounts a control freak (not necessarily a bad thing at a football club). Time will tell but I doubt Ross will be out his depth in the English 3rd tier on a purely football basis but it remains to be seen if Sunderland manage to shed the"basket case" mentality as a club.The new owner opening salvo today suggests possibly not !

Edited by Ayrshire Saints

I hate myself for responding to this. I get that you have an anti Saints agenda, Stuart. But your efforts to focus purely on the negative parts of Jack's tenure are f**king ridiculous. He won the league and was named Manager of the Year. We all know this so why did I react? Top fishing mate. Kudos

21 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Read the thread on Ipswich where we give lots of genuine and heartfelt comments to the IT fans. On here at the moment is a touch of bitterness about the whole affair.

I understand mate, I really do. I was the same when we lost Big Sam to England for what, one bloody game?

I've not come here to rub it in, I was genuinely interested in what Jack Ross could bring to my club. I live in Glasgow myself and have obviously heard of Jack Ross but I wanted to get a first hand account from those that know him best, you lot.

5 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Is that the route they have outlined ? I would be very surprised if Ross has signed up to them on that basis. He is by all accounts a control freak (not necessarily a bad thing at a football club). Time will tell but I doubt Ross will be out his depth in the English 3rd tier on a purely football basis but it remains to be seen if Sunderland manage to shed the"basket case" mentality as a club.The new owner opening salvo today suggests possibly not !

Donald was asked in that podcast if he planned on bringing in "football people" to help run the club. He said that was something they were definitely keen to do and Charlie Methven re-affirmed it. They didn't specifically talk about a Director of Football. What they did rule out though was a CEO. They didn't see a need for a CEO at a football club - obviously Martin Bain had just been made redundant at that point too which may have had something to do with it. 

It's a huge club though Ayrshire Saint. The Academy of Light has been shedding jobs over the last twelve months but there's still between 50 - 100 full time employees at the club. Donald said that they would be looking to get Kevin Ball - who lost his post at the Academy of Light last year and who is now working as a "club ambassador" - a far more productive role within the club stating he was responsible for the development of the current England captain and England goalkeeper. 

Ross will need help whether he wants it or not

59 minutes ago, StuD said:

You also claimed Jack Ross would be a bad appointment for us and that we would finish 6th this season. You also said Sunderland would not go for Ross.

Deflect, deflect, deflect. As usual you've been found out and as usual you are trying to twist things...

Will you give up supporting Sunderland now that they've taken the man from the club you hate so much?

Just now, gilberto said:
Just now, StuD said:

I hate myself for responding to this. I get that you have an anti Saints agenda, Stuart. But your efforts to focus purely on the negative parts of Jack's tenure are f**king ridiculous. He won the league and was named Manager of the Year. We all know this so why did I react? Top fishing mate. Kudos

So Jack goes somewhere he can't fail to be a success. This seems to be how he operates. No risk. I'd do the same but I'm disappointed in him given all the crap he he's told us. Can't bring myself to wish him success. He made us 13th best team in Scotland. I think he crapped out trying to take us further 

I understand mate, I really do. I was the same when we lost Big Sam to England for what, one bloody game?

I've not come here to rub it in, I was genuinely interested in what Jack Ross could bring to my club. I live in Glasgow myself and have obviously heard of Jack Ross but I wanted to get a first hand account from those that know him best, you lot.
Did the FA tap him up?

Thats what i mean about the Ipswich thread where we wax lyrically about Jack. Great manager and obviously highly sought after. Plays great attacking football on the deck using young players with a hunger to suceed. A fantastic signing for you guys. Jack is the real deal.

12 minutes ago, StuD said:

Donald was asked in that podcast if he planned on bringing in "football people" to help run the club. He said that was something they were definitely keen to do and Charlie Methven re-affirmed it. They didn't specifically talk about a Director of Football. What they did rule out though was a CEO. They didn't see a need for a CEO at a football club - obviously Martin Bain had just been made redundant at that point too which may have had something to do with it. 

It's a huge club though Ayrshire Saint. The Academy of Light has been shedding jobs over the last twelve months but there's still between 50 - 100 full time employees at the club. Donald said that they would be looking to get Kevin Ball - who lost his post at the Academy of Light last year and who is now working as a "club ambassador" - a far more productive role within the club stating he was responsible for the development of the current England captain and England goalkeeper. 

Ross will need help whether he wants it or not

As with any big club of course they will need the likes of academy staff, I wouldn't expect the first team coach to be involved there day to day. I honestly don't see Ross wanting anyone else dealing with first team affairs other than his assistant. He will leave the running of the rest of the club to whoever else they see fit. Running a third tier football team shouldn't be more than a two man cooperation no matter the size of the wider organisation. I'm not saying either of us is right or wrong here, just my opinion that Ross will not want much if any meddling in first team affairs.

4 minutes ago, Oldfellow said:

So Jack goes somewhere he can't fail to be a success.

Yeah.

Taking on a championship team  eight points adrift at the bottom of the league, with an utterly shit squad, was a job where he couldn't fail to be a success.

No risk indeed.:wacko:

Step away from the keyboard!

Edited by FTOF

4 minutes ago, Oldfellow said:

So Jack goes somewhere he can't fail to be a success. This seems to be how he operates. No risk. I'd do the same but I'm disappointed in him given all the crap he he's told us. Can't bring myself to wish him success. He made us 13th best team in Scotland. I think he crapped out trying to take us further 

I think we all would "crap out" for a five fold increase in salary. I honestly don't see anyone refusing that, us fans included.