New Manager Latest Odds

One thing is for sure, on his new salary, Jack Ross won't be jumping aboard the loser cruiser any time soon.

So..... moving on.

Bring back Jim Goodwin. No-one is going to convince me that he doesn't have at least as much about him as Canning and McCann. So, with Livingston surely favourites for the trapdoor, I reckon Big Jim could easily steer us to a comfortable 9th place finish in his first season, and then build on that.

The guy is Mr St Mirren, and that goes a long way for me. It would be a hoot.

I'm a signed up member of the Goodwin Gang:happyclapper

Edited by Drew

Here's the quote-free article (ie an agent has planted it) in the Daily Fail about Caldwell.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5769215/Gary-Caldwell-keen-speak-St-Mirren-managerial-vacancy.html

Assuming they were all interested, my shortlist would be:

Neilson
McIntyre
Goodwin
Caldwell
Valakari
Hopkin

17 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Don't believe everything you read other papers have former Ross County boss as the front runner. A poster who has always been 100% reliable has Neilson getting fitted a new club jacket. The last bit is made up but you know what I mean. 

I don't, that's why I used the words "according" and "apparently"

As for Neilson I've nowt against the guy but he's had one gig as a manager and totally made an arse of it, as for his stint at Hearts 

its common knowledge who was running the show there from the background while he continued to collect the remainder of his 

massive salary from the SFA...

Edited by scrappy coco

7 minutes ago, Drew said:

One thing is for sure, on his new salary, Jack Ross won't be jumping aboard the loser cruiser any time soon.

So..... moving on.

Bring back Jim Goodwin. No-one is going to convince me that he doesn't have at least as much about him as Canning and McCann. So, with Livingston surely favourites for the trapdoor, I reckon Big Jim could easily steer us to a comfortable 9th place finish in his first season, and then build on that.

The guy is Mr St Mirren, and that goes a long way for me. It would be a hoot.

I'm a signed up member of the Goodwin Gang:happyclapper

Couldn't agree more.

2 minutes ago, saintnextlifetime said:

I'm going to trust the board to make the decision  that is best for Paisley Saint Mirren . They got it right with Jack Ross , despite the nay Sayers  and the doubters . .

This, 100%, but the speculation is fun, right? Especially now more candidates are coming out the woodwork. 

15 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

Here's the quote-free article (ie an agent has planted it) in the Daily Fail about Caldwell.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5769215/Gary-Caldwell-keen-speak-St-Mirren-managerial-vacancy.html

Assuming they were all interested, my shortlist would be:

Neilson
McIntyre
Goodwin
Caldwell
Valakari
Hopkin

Fixed it for you.

I have never heard of Valakri so he is out, Caldwell is a big balloon faced orange fake tanned twat so he is out.

The Austin McPhee suggestion is a little left field (although not on that list), Neilson for me would be a good appointment, McIntyre fills me with mediocrity and Hopkin would be very good.  James Goodwin I am fast leaning toward.

I see the Thommohawk is absent from most of these lists.  One would have thought him a candidate or is he pursuing media stardom?

I wonder if Billy Davies would now be interested following Steve Clarkes magnificent turnaround of Kilmarnock?  I would like him to apply purely so I could defecate in an envelope and post it to him as our reply!   

25 minutes ago, wee cumbrae bud said:

Who wants to part of The Goody Gang ?

Me

I did consider using Goody Gang, but was a bit worried that it might be the sort of name that a dark web paedophile ring would use....:(

Edited by Drew

28 minutes ago, scrappy coco said:

As for Neilson I've nowt against the guy but he's had one gig as a manager and totally made an arse of it, as for his stint at Hearts 

its common knowledge who was running the show there from the background while he continued to collect the remainder of his 

Funny how Hearts were playing free flow football under Neilson  a bit differnt what they were last season under guess who they just made the top six this year. If Jack was impressed with Neilson and helping the board with a candidate being reported today  then Neilson will be boss. 

9 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

This, 100%, but the speculation is fun, right? Especially now more candidates are coming out the woodwork. 

Indeed , the speculation can be fun , even if the thought of certain candidates at the helm is a bit disturbing .

I think Jim is in with a shout because as has been mentioned , he has Paisley Saint Mirren at heart and is a top bloke , League Cup Legend also . I don't know if Jim has the ability to take us where we want to go but I would love to think that he has. Ross was good at selling the dream to the players , that's probably the secret of his success , Jim is now a part-time salesman so perhaps he has the skill now. .

48 minutes ago, scrappy coco said:

I don't agree with this at all. Levein would then have been "running the show" with the disaster that was Cathro, and Levein himself now isn't doing anything spectacular. Neilson had that young squad going well. A bad spell at MK Dons is not a reason to avoid him. Would you avoid McInnes because of his spell at Bristol City?

11 minutes ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

If the new manager is between the 3 mentioned Hopkin, Neilson or Goodwin then you would hope most would be pleased with that. All 3 have had success in management, unlike Alex Rae who was shite.:mellow:

These would be lazy appointments IMO.

Given the team performance and what we've achieved in the past 18 months, the board should be looking for someone with similar qualities to our departing manager.

We're not going to get a carbon copy, but I'm sure there are managers, that we can afford, who fit the bill. It might take a bit of hard work to find them, but I'd expect our BoD try and continue JR's legacy, even if it takes a bit of time to get the right person.

None of the above, or other names I've seen mentioned, fit the bill IMO.

Edited by FTOF

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

Given the team performance and what we've achieved in the past 18 months, the board should be looking for someone with similar qualities to our departing manager.

We're not going to get a carbon copy, but I'm sure there are managers, that we can afford, who fit the bill. It might take a bit of hard work to find them, but I'd expect our BoD try and continue JR's legacy, even if it takes a bit of time to get the right person.

None of the above fit the bill IMO.

Nelson possibly,  but the other 2 definitely don't. 

Here's hoping a couple of surprise candidates apply. 

Just now, FTOF said:

None of the above fit the bill IMO.

I would say Goodwin and Hopkin are unknown quantities. Goodwin, we can't dismiss that he got a part time team promoted but is he up to the job of continuing Jacks's Legacy? Don't know. Hopkin has done a fantastic job at Livingston to gain 2 promotions but is he a one trick pony tactic wise?  I definitely wouldn't want the Livvy style at St Mirren. Neilson did well at Hearts but not so well at MK Dons so really all 3 are a gamble.  I think our new manager will come from these 3.

1 hour ago, scrappy coco said:

Well according to today's Daily Record David Hopkin is our number 1 target, apparently he's turned down Morton, 

He wouldn't be my first choice but would rather we appoint him than be stuck with Robbie Neilson..

Definitely no to Hopkin for me

His horrible brand of anti-football is the last thing I'd want to see at St Mirren

I don't think that many of the current squad would fit his playing style, so that would mean a major overhaul of the team.  Which would make the task substantially harder for Hopkin.

In addition Hopkin's assistant  is a convicted drug dealer.  Best steer well clear of Hopkin.