New Manager Latest Odds

15 minutes ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

I would say Goodwin and Hopkin are unknown quantities. Goodwin, we can't dismiss that he got a part time team promoted but is he up to the job of continuing Jacks's Legacy? Don't know. Hopkin has done a fantastic job at Livingston to gain 2 promotions but is he a one trick pony tactic wise?  I definitely wouldn't want the Livvy style at St Mirren. Neilson did well at Hearts but not so well at MK Dons so really all 3 are a gamble.  I think our new manager will come from these 3.

You're probably correct.

However, as good as it is to be back in the top league, other than our 2013 cup win, being in the top league ,  in more recent times, has been pretty depressing, with almost every year spent avoiding relegation by the skin of our teeth.

With the names I've seen so far, I reckon we'd see a continuation of that.

If the BoD can show a bit of ambition, and get our version of "The special one", maybe we could be competing to get into the top six, rather than shitfesting our way to last day survival.

Edited by FTOF

What would make Hopkins a great manager is plying his trade with the tools he has available

at livvy( I don't know how many he signed) he saw what he had and played accordingly

at saints . . . Do you honestly think he will/can turned our skilful players into cluggers? 

If he takes saints to the park playing delightful passing skilled football then he may well be a great manager in the making

Just now, FTOF said:

You're probably correct.

However, as good as it is to be back in the top league, other than our 2013 cup win, being in the top league for me  in more recent times,has been pretty depressing with almost every year spent avoiding relegation by the skin of our teeth.

With the names I've seen so far I reckon we'd see a continuation of that.

If the BoD can show a bit of ambition and get our version of "The special one", maybe we could be competing to get into the top six, rather than shitfesting our way to last day survival.

Can't disagree with what you say either. I do think that in Gordon Scott and Tony Fitzpatrick we have 2 excellent guys at the helm and i trust them to make the right choice.

12 minutes ago, Stu said:

Goodwin still defends Tommy Craig and thinks he was a good manager...

Where?

To clarify, I'm not asking about where he was a good manager (he wasn't), I'm asking where you've seen or heard Goodwin defend him.

Edited by Drew

1 minute ago, Buddie Marvelous said:

Where did you read this? I can't seem to find anything to say that's the deal complete.

Jack Ross deal Sunderland now all agreed. No2 James Fowler also leaves St Mirren for Stadium of Light @scotsunsport

What proceeds in crime ? They run a successful bus company and pay their drivers well. I spoke to a business man who is friends with them. He told me them being a crime family was a lot of utter nonsense. Now I dont' know them only going on what I heard. What do you know that they are part of the crime world. 

[emoji23]

Just now, Drew said:

Where?

He has said it on Sportsound on more than one occasion, even when Thommo was on slaughtering Craig.

Goodwin wouldn't be my choice but that's nothing to do with his Lex-style denial over Craig.

The last list of shareholders with Companies House from December 2015 shows David Hopkin (guessing it's the same one) has more than 40,000 shares in Morton. It's miles more than pretty much anyone else. The only exceptions are Golden Casket (Douglas Rae's company) which has 3556838 and Buchanans (probably another part of the Inverclyde Willie Wonka's empire) on 50,400. I'm surprised someone is allowed to be the manager of a club while such a substantial shareholder in another one, especially when they're in the same division - although he's found a way of solving that problem.
I see one paper claiming Hopkin is the board's contender and another is chucking Gary Caldwell's name into the mix.

40,000 v 3.5 million is hardly a ‘substantial’ shareholder! :1eye

So its done...............gnashing, wailing, some confirmation of the blindingly inevitable, shine gone, we move on from JR, the smooth capable self aware careerist. He's no snake oil salesman but I must admit the exit was less than genuine it appears, all the talk with the mic all showbiz Sam in retrospect, as genuine as a cheap cabaret.

It's time to recalibrate

Disappointing as a real positivity and connection had been established

Disappointing as we now find ourselves batting around the usual dreary suspects

Disappointing for the players, there was a real camaraderie there, what must some of them be thinking

Disappointing as the club now need to try and emulate the Jack Ross special formula, get a blend in the workings of the club, and of all places, to endear the St Mirren fans to a form of positive pressing expansive football in a dire shit fest of a league set up. The romance of JR's procession to the Championship, done

Disappointing that now the hard yards have to be gained, its looking like a very important few weeks coming up

Did I say I was disappointed, well  money certainly talks, it could also be argued he's avoided the SPFL test and a possible loss of reputation by bagging ( an no one could blame him ) a decent opportunity. Time will tell

Anyway thanks for the trophy Jack, your history

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

He has said it on Sportsound on more than one occasion, even when Thommo was on slaughtering Craig.

Goodwin wouldn't be my choice but that's nothing to do with his Lex-style denial over Craig.

Maybe his stint in management has altered that view?

2 hours ago, scrappy coco said:

Well according to today's Daily Record David Hopkin is our number 1 target, apparently he's turned down Morton, 

He wouldn't be my first choice but would rather we appoint him than be stuck with Robbie Neilson..

I trust the board to get this appointment right.  

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

2 minutes ago, Drew said:

Maybe his stint in management has altered that view?

Maybe it sheds a little light on the murky events surrounding DLs departure! :death 

Meanwhile back on topic I hope the BoD (GLS) has indulged in a bit of skullduggery and already knows who he wants and is able to announce him early next week.

Usual paper talk banding about the usual tired names. I suspect we may see some unexpected names in the shortlist as has been the case in recent times.
Of the mentioned names McIntyre is most appealing IMO (although even he has led a poor Pars team and built a poor County team as recent as last season). Hopkins should be avoided like the plague - a puppet for the real genius behind the scenes (who also happens to carry some baggage).
I suspect should this management team be put in place and the anticipated tactics that would inevitably follow make their way to the 2021 then it wouldn't be long and supporter feel-good factor would evaporate...

3 minutes ago, MotherwellSaint said:

fitzy sayinf could be 1-2 weeks before new manager announced do we have that time ? need another 8 players in 

And he was saying yesterday that we already had a plan in place for Ross' departure , and that we'd be signing a player on Thursday and another one today.

As much as I love the guy, it's impossible to take anything he says seriously.

2 minutes ago, ds10 said:

And he was saying yesterday that we already had a plan in place for Ross' departure , and that we'd be signing a player on Thursday and another one today.

As much as I love the guy, it's impossible to take anything he says seriously.

Don't say that i'm saving up for the Champions League away games.

32 minutes ago, MotherwellSaint said:

fitzy sayinf could be 1-2 weeks before new manager announced do we have that time ? need another 8 players in 

Not IMO, I accept DL wasn't appointed until early June and we survived that season but two points

1. We were an established Premier League club then and we just survived - after enduring the Summer of 'Beath
  2. JR culled the squad last month so we need to bring in a lot of faces and contracts will be expiring soon.

It's over two weeks since it was announced Ipswich had been given permission to talk to JR, I would've expected us to have the short list already drawn up and be arranging interviews now

The plus side is that if Hopkin goes Livi will be deeper in the doodoo than us.

Edited by Bud the Baker

18 minutes ago, W6Saint said:

Usual paper talk banding about the usual tired names. I suspect we may see some unexpected names in the shortlist as has been the case in recent times.
Of the mentioned names McIntyre is most appealing IMO (although even he has led a poor Pars team and built a poor County team as recent as last season). Hopkins should be avoided like the plague - a puppet for the real genius behind the scenes (who also happens to carry some baggage).
I suspect should this management team be put in place and the anticipated tactics that would inevitably follow make their way to the 2021 then it wouldn't be long and supporter feel-good factor would evaporate...

Best to avoid pessimism like the plague.  Lost a good manager with good PR skills.  Solution... Appoint a good manager anď win games in the Premiership.