New Manager Latest Odds

5 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Didn't happen. 1500 years too early for a violin.:P

However, I see your pampers are wringing again.

Despondency? Speak for yourself. Having read TF's comments I'm intrigued and possibly a bit excited to see that we're considering alternative options to the names already mentioned.

I'm sure that our BoD have been looking at managerial options for a while. However, as I've already stated, I'd rather we didn't rush in and appoint the first name that looks good on paper.

We're in a position of strength for a change. Let's use that position wisely, and who knows we could unearth a manager that builds on our current position.

We were in a position of strength a week or so ago and have now lost our management team and there is the strong possibility we will lose two of our best players and also miss out in signing others who are currently out of contract. By the time we stroke the Ts and dot the Is in possibly 3 weeks time our competitors will have gained the advantage over us.

There again, perhaps you prefer the Ipswich way of recruitment as against the Sunderland way?

It's not a choice between knicker wetting or happy clapping - just plain common sense and forward planning .

Just now, northstbuddie said:

We were in a position of strength a week or so ago and have now lost our management team and there is the strong possibility we will lose two of our best players and also miss out in signing others who are currently out of contract. By the time we stroke the Ts and dot the Is in possibly 3 weeks time our competitors will have gained the advantage over us.

There again, perhaps you prefer the Ipswich way of recruitment as against the Sunderland way?

It's not a choice between knicker wetting or happy clapping - just plain common sense and forward planning .

It is still May, contracts are still to run out and people are on holiday.  Losing our manager is disappointing and there is no good time to lose someone of Jack's ability.  However, he has gone and the club are unlikely to take half arsed decision that the old board did and hire unsuitable candidates.   TF has already stated the club had considered the likelihood of Jack leaving so I put my trust in him and the Chairman to bring in a suitable replacement. 

2 hours ago, FTOF said:

TF states that we will take at least a week to get all the CV's in and then we will start to go through them. There has been no short list drawn up.

Apparently this is the procedure that was followed before the  last appointment.

Gregg Ryder, former assistant boss at IBV (Íþróttabandalag Vestmannaeyja)  in Iceland,  who has just left Throttur Rekyjavik, where he was the manager for four years, is keen to talk to us apparently. Former coach at Newcastle. 30 years old.

https://is.linkedin.com/in/gregg-ryder-92a0a653

Certainly a more interesting option with some potential, compared to the tired list of candidates that is kicking around just now.

A manager in Iceland for 4 years and 7 months and before that, a manager in Farmfoods for 2 years!  :P

2 hours ago, Buddie Marvelous said:

A manager in Iceland for 4 years and 7 months and before that, a manager in Farmfoods for 2 years!  :P

Are you suggesting that football in Iceland is not as  good as the SPFL? 

Remind me of Jack Ross's managerial experience before he came to St Mirren Park. :P

Edited by smcc

I don’t think any of these candidates are necessarily bad, and I don’t think any of them are outstanding either. All of them have their drawbacks. I’d be inclined to go for Neilson - let’s see what he can do when he doesn’t have a DoF over his head (willing to forget about his MK experience, tinpot club)

9 minutes ago, ulysses said:

I don’t think any of these candidates are necessarily bad, and I don’t think any of them are outstanding either. All of them have their drawbacks. I’d be inclined to go for Neilson - let’s see what he can do when he doesn’t have a DoF over his head (willing to forget about his MK experience, tinpot club)

Tony F has indicated that we will spend this week to pass to allow applications to be made and that no short list has been drawn up. From the names in the ring at the moment there seem to be two managers with experience of managing successfully in our Top League. That's Macintyre and Neilson. Makes them strong Contenders I think though not shoe ins.

2 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

Well if there is no  such thing as rehabilitation or forgiveness, should we apply the same standard to forum members?  it woud be a quiet(er) wee place if everyone who took a drug or got some for another person were held the same account.

I once worked with a water inspector in Stirling who had access to people's homes.  He freely admitted that before he straightened himself out (with the help of the Jehovah's Witnesses) he had done time in the UK for drug dealing and a stabbing as well as in Sweden for trafficking drugs and expensive watches.  he was a model of good behaviour and enjoyed a very stable and secure family life.

The character is question here has clearly been involved in behaviours that are beneath contempt. Gangland extortion and supplying Class A drugs !! Absolutely beyond contempt that kind of behaviour, supplying a gateway to folks demise through their criminality.  

The sick twist is that its victims of crime who get the life sentence, parents of youngsters and family, friends, lost after being drawn into drugs.

Offenders get reinvested in.......................utterly perverse. Anyone found guilty of punting product like that  gear should get their hand taken off for starters !!

It is knickerwetting of the highest order. Big deal if we were to miss out on a couple of signings in order to get the right management in place. As it is I don't think we'll miss out on any signings that we won't have other options for. Despite your doom laden outlook we are still very much in a position of strength. [emoji1]

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

It is knickerwetting of the highest order. Big deal if we were to miss out on a couple of signings in order to get the right management in place. As it is I don't think we'll miss out on any signings that we won't have other options for. Despite your doom laden outlook we are still very much in a position of strength. emoji1.png

If you say so happy clapper of the highest order.

15 minutes ago, Seaside Nipper said:

The character is question here has clearly been involved in behaviours that are beneath contempt. Gangland extortion and supplying Class A drugs !! Absolutely beyond contempt that kind of behaviour, supplying a gateway to folks demise through their criminality.  

The sick twist is that its victims of crime who get the life sentence, parents of youngsters and family, friends, lost after being drawn into drugs.

Offenders get reinvested in.......................utterly perverse. Anyone found guilty of punting product like that  gear should get their hand taken off for starters !!

Wouldn't quite go as far as using  Saudi forms of justice, and I do think people can make mistakes and should be supported to rehabilitate. 

However, there are certain jobs where crimes like that would render you unsuitable. I work in social work, and if I had been convicted of a drugs offence, I would lose my job and never work in the profession again. The same standard should be applied to football coaches, as they should be a role model to young people. 

There may be an argument that there are grey areas depending how serious the offence is, but this was not being caught with a bit of hash. This was heavy duty stuff. 

This MIght be the most important signing for a long time

if it takes 2 weeks so what ,players  who have been let go by clubs not exactly world beaters .

and only let go to save paying wages ,when no income or games ,

in gordon we trust ,not bad with last appointment 

5 minutes ago, FTOF said:

It is knickerwetting of the highest order. Big deal if we were to miss out on a couple of signings in order to get the right management in place. As it is I don't think we'll miss out on any signings that we won't have other options for. Despite your doom laden outlook we are still very much in a position of strength. emoji1.png

Tend to agree, often the better players don't become available till later in the window as they like to keep their options open. A one or two week delay shouldn't be a major problem. 

Just now, helpmaboab said:

Not too late to make Duffy the manager and sign (steal) the cream of the Morton team..........hahaha!

they can have our rejects, only fair..........hahaha!

The cream of the Morton team?  :lol:

6 minutes ago, mad saint 2 said:

This MIght be the most important signing for a long time

if it takes 2 weeks so what ,players  who have been let go by clubs not exactly world beaters .

and only let go to save paying wages ,when no income or games ,

in gordon we trust ,not bad with last appointment 

Which "Might" would that be - never heard of him.

And I thought it was often the player's decision not to renew his contract - eg. Gavin Reilly.

Are players in Reilly's situation going to hang on until we appoint a manager if they get a good offer from elsewhere?

I have no problem with GS and TF showing due diligence  but hopefully they will refrain from dithering in this process.

I wholeheartedly agree that GS and TF have been good for St Mirren so far - I am only expressing concern that we don't take too long in this particular situation to come to a decision.

Sorry Lambert done nothing in management to speak off

SO NO WAY 

same as billy davis ,goodwin, SPL experiance survival lets not kid our selves .

FIRST YEAR SURVIVAL THEN AFTER WE START BUILDING YEAR ON  YEAR .

so we need some one for the long planning and set in place system off bring in young players ,and get good quality squad ,

14 minutes ago, Ethan said:

Pleased to see we are in contact with Lambert. If he is affordable he would be my choice. 

Would certainly highlight ambition from the board/club!

I honestly cannot remember the last time we seemed in such an attractive light as club overall.  

Great time to be a buddy

16 minutes ago, Ethan said:

Pleased to see we are in contact with Lambert. If he is affordable he would be my choice. 

Not for me. Has done nothing noteworthy since leaving Norwich - last three jobs lasted 15 months combined. He'd be a headline grabber, but I'd prefer someone with their career in front of them, with something to prove and ambitions for a top class career than someone who doesn't need the money or the hassle.

1 minute ago, Soctty said:

Not for me. Has done nothing noteworthy since leaving Norwich - last three jobs lasted 15 months combined. He'd be a headline grabber, but I'd prefer someone with their career in front of them, with something to prove and ambitions for a top class career than someone who doesn't need the money or the hassle.

Just like Steve Clarke at Kilmarnock?

30 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Missed your earlier post - I'd hoped and expected that given the circumstances GLS would have been up to a little skillduggery himself, have a short list already and be set to make a decision by the end of the week.