New Manager Latest Odds

4 minutes ago, Soctty said:

You'll be able to list Steve Clarke's managerial failures then?

Who from the list of names so far quoted in the press, (apart from possibly Steve Clarke), would have done a better job than Lambert at the clubs he was at?

Even the great JR suffered in his first 6 months at St Mirren - did we not have the lowest points tally by December 2016 in our entire history?  And he failed to prevent Alloa from being relegated in his first season there.

4 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

Who from the list of names so far quoted in the press, (apart from possibly Steve Clarke), would have done a better job than Lambert at the clubs he was at?

Even the great JR suffered in his first 6 months at St Mirren - did we not have the lowest points tally by December 2016 in our entire history?  And he failed to prevent Alloa from being relegated in his first season there.

So we're now playing a game of hypothetically who would have done not so terrible a job as Lambert at the various clubs he's spent a few months each at over the last few years?? :ph34r:

We're talking about a manager in Lambert with 13 years of managements experience. The last 6 years have been something of a car crash. Lambert's only experience managing in Scotland was 8 months at Livi, where he won twice.

I would rather have a young manager who has fresh ideas and is looking to advance himself, who has some sort of positive recent record in management as an example of what he can achieve.

3 minutes ago, Soctty said:

So we're now playing a game of hypothetically who would have done not so terrible a job as Lambert at the various clubs he's spent a few months each at over the last few years?? :ph34r:

We're talking about a manager in Lambert with 13 years of managements experience. The last 6 years have been something of a car crash. Lambert's only experience managing in Scotland was 8 months at Livi, where he won twice.

I would rather have a young manager who has fresh ideas and is looking to advance himself, who has some sort of positive recent record in management as an example of what he can achieve.

Recruitment selection is a hypothetical exercise in that you usually end up comparing apples with oranges.

20 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Does being sacked from your only two previous permanent manager posts count ?

First post, took West Brom to their highest league position in 25 years. The club never replaced Lukaku, and they struggled for goals thereafter and his sacking was viewed as something of a surprise when it came along. With Reading, he took them to their first FA Cup Final, and was sacked 6 months later, shortly after Fulham asked for permission to speak to him about their job, which he turned down to stay with Reading.

He also had vast coaching experience, serving as coach and assistant to Mourinho at Chelsea and Dalglish at Liverpool.

I'm afraid Lambert has stumbled from job to job since his good work at Norwich, and at the very least is guilty of bad judgement in the jobs he has taken on.

Not for me.

Just now, northstbuddie said:

Recruitment selection is a hypothetical exercise in that you usually end up comparing apples with oranges.

Seeing a manager with four consecutive failures, without any real merit in any of them isn't something which would prompt me to cal for him to be appointed, regardless of who we're comparing him with.

12 minutes ago, Soctty said:

I would rather have a young manager who has fresh ideas and is looking to advance himself, who has some sort of positive recent record in management as an example of what he can achieve.Lambert was captain of Scotland and has won the champions league as a player. He's also managed at big clubs.  We can't afford him but he's a better bet than many listed. 

Edited by norrie82

3 minutes ago, Soctty said:

As an aside here, if we do appoint Paul Lambert, I will get behind him, and if he proves my scepticism wrong, I will be the first to hold my hands up and admit I was wrong.

My only concern is that we get the best man for the job.

Same for me. Alwys remember Larson interview on Lambert saying good footballer but not what you would call very bright lol

2 minutes ago, norrie82 said:

Lambert was captain of Scotland and has won the champions league as a player. He's also managed at big clubs.  We can't afford him but he's a better bet than many listed. 

Being captain of Scotland as a player, and winning the Champions League as a player is irrelevant to being a manager for us, or anyone else for that matter.. Managing at big clubs is great - failing at big clubs doesn't make him a good bet for us.

His record is poor as a manager, and I wouldn't be offering him the job.

12 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Same for me. Alwys remember Larson interview on Lambert saying good footballer but not what you would call very bright lol

On the other hand, the same could be said for Larson in that he did not set the heather on fire as manager .

Lambert perhaps does not talk an impressive game (like for instance JR) but he probably has other qualities which would serve St Mirren well.

However, like you, I have no way of knowing for certain, as I do not know him personally.

Edited by northstbuddie

Missed your earlier post - I'd hoped and expected that given the circumstances GLS would have been up to a little skillduggery himself, have a short list already and be set to make a decision by the end of the week.
I'm sure that they have names in mind and will have sounded out a couple of them. Nothing wrong in casting a wider net to see if an as yet unidentified applicant brings something new to the table. Maybe the people that have been spoken to have failed to impress or have made unreasonable demands. I'm talking hypothetically here. [emoji13]

On the other hand, the same could be said for Larson in that he did not set the heather on fire as manager .
Lambert perhaps does not talk an impressive game (like for instance JR) but he probably has other qualities which would serve St Mirren well.
However, like you, I have no way of knowing for certain, as I do not know him personally.
JR talks a great game.

First post, took West Brom to their highest league position in 25 years. The club never replaced Lukaku, and they struggled for goals thereafter and his sacking was viewed as something of a surprise when it came along. With Reading, he took them to their first FA Cup Final, and was sacked 6 months later, shortly after Fulham asked for permission to speak to him about their job, which he turned down to stay with Reading.
He also had vast coaching experience, serving as coach and assistant to Mourinho at Chelsea and Dalglish at Liverpool.
I'm afraid Lambert has stumbled from job to job since his good work at Norwich, and at the very least is guilty of bad judgement in the jobs he has taken on.
Not for me.

I didn’t make any comments on Steve Clarke’s ability, I simply answered your question with one of my own. To re -cap ,He has previously held two managerial posts and been sacked from both . Now I don’t know about you but to have had a 100% sack record would appear to me to be sufficient to be classed as managerial failure .....which to be fair was what you asked people to list .

Happy to help.

59 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

this .......... a young manager who has fresh ideas and is looking to advance himself, who has some sort of positive recent record in management.      sounds like Goody:double

Was appointing JR a risk, of course it was , it worked, arguably too well,  previous appointments less so, lets not go there........................:rolleyes:

Next appointment, with absolutely anyone that is awarded the gig will be a risk, that is undeniable. All the BoD can do is look to mitigate risk whilst trying to find and appoint a candidate that is motivated and interested in the club and its ambitions not to 'tread water' in a shit fest

The best we can hope for is that GS etal get someone appointed who they think will get the blend and balance right, hopefully continue the good work done by JR. Anyone who imo does not offer that kind of promise is a non starter. Trust in the board to bat out a home run here and avoid the binger curve balls out there, that's all we can do.

As for psychometric testing and measuring the potential suitability of the next manager, glad I don't have to do it.

Trust GS, good luck, it's his project.

21 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

I didn’t make any comments on Steve Clarke’s ability, I simply answered your question with one of my own. To re -cap ,He has previously held two managerial posts and been sacked from both . Now I don’t know about you but to have had a 100% sack record would appear to me to be sufficient to be classed as managerial failure .....which to be fair was what you asked people to list .

Happy to help.

So would this imply that you think Lambert would be a good choice for us? Or are you just bored and making mischief... :lol:

Not for me.

When did he take Reading to the FA cup final?

Amazed at how Paul Lambert is getting so much stick....

Lambert was guff at Livvy but.....

Took  Wycombe to the play offs

Done ok at Colchester and was poached by Norwich.

Two consecutive titles and into the Premiership,left for Villa

Kept Villa in PL for three years

Kept Blackburn up

Kept Wolves up

Took over a basket case at Stoke......

Not too bad for me.

Opinions I suppose.

Edited by thomsons dropped it
No idea.

2 hours ago, Seaside Nipper said:

The character is question here has clearly been involved in behaviours that are beneath contempt. Gangland extortion and supplying Class A drugs !! Absolutely beyond contempt that kind of behaviour, supplying a gateway to folks demise through their criminality.  

The sick twist is that its victims of crime who get the life sentence, parents of youngsters and family, friends, lost after being drawn into drugs.

Offenders get reinvested in.......................utterly perverse. Anyone found guilty of punting product like that  gear should get their hand taken off for starters !!

Shhhh. Don't tell Drew or any of the other ex-offenders on this forum.