New Manager Latest Odds

7 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

He could very easily restore his reputation at St Mirren and then be Sunderland's next manager.

He doesn't have to restore a reputation and to be honest i'm amazed Sunderland have appointed Jack Ross with the level of experience he has. Lambert won League One with Norwich, bounced them through the Championship the following season then kept them in the Premiership !. Far better choice than Jack Ross ?

13 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

He doesn't have to restore a reputation 

I think you'd be surprised what a laughing stock he is down here. The day Stoke appointed him, a colleague and I burst out laughing. He looks like a guy whose heart isn't in it any more.

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

A few years ago, say when we moved on from Gus, if SG was in any way linked with Paul Lambert, it would have been a joke, a laugh. Same could have been said for the likes of Killie getting Stevie Clarke a few years ago, or us getting Thommo’ when he was younger than when we did get him, and he could command a good level English gig - a joke, a laugh, no chance.

If there’s any truth in Lambert being approached, at this juncture in both his life and St Mirren’s place in Scottish football, looks far from a joke idea to me (not suggesting you think it’s a joke by the way!). Lambert has made his money, like Clarke, like Thommo, like Teale, and I suppose to a lesser extent like Stephen McGinn. Maybe it’s time for Lambert to put down roots again at home, move back to the nice part of Houston he used to live in, and once more be seen taking his dog for walks past the river Cart.

Would he demand big wages and be looking for a big budget? I doubt it, not st St Mirren. If he were being courted by the likes of Leeds or Nottingham Forest, or a West Brom’ type of club, then I’m sure money and a budget to allow him to challenge down there would be a primary concern of his. If he were interested in the St Mirren gig, there’s more to it. There’s coming home, settling down, maybe for life now, there’s a past connection, a relationship with our CEO. It would also be a move to a club where the reaction from the fanbase would (I suggest) be very positive, rather than another English notch on his bedpost, where a big and expectant fanbase might think ‘Lambert? Just got relegated and has had more clubs than Jack Nicklaus, meh.’

I suppose, simply put, IF he thought there were big wages and a massive warchest at St Mirren, then any discussions he might have with Fitzy would be over in about two minutes anyway.

I'm not suggesting that Lambert would demand a big budget, or even a high wage, but that is the arena he is used to operating in, so I do wonder how effectively he would adapt to working with St Mirren. I'm not claiming that he wouldn't, but it is a consideration.

Edited by Drew

1 minute ago, Drew said:

I'm not suggesting that Lambert would demand a big budget, or even a high wage, but that is the arena he is used to operating in, so I do wonder how effectively he would adapt to working with St Mirren. I'm not claiming that he wouldn't, but it is a consideration.

We won't have long to wait to find out who gets the job.  When does the Transfer Window Open? 

8 minutes ago, Drew said:

I guess the only way to know how someone used to operating in the bigger English leagues would get on in Scotland is to judge them if / when it happens. Thommo, Teale, Stevie Clarke, Brendan Rodgers... all adapted pretty well. Of the names mentioned as being in the frame, they mostly illicit a ‘meh’ from me. Lambert would help sell even more STs and would give us a boost after losing a charismatic manager who turned out to be a good un’.

What’s big Yogi doing these days anyway?  :P

8 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I guess the only way to know how someone used to operating in the bigger English leagues would get on in Scotland is to judge them if / when it happens. Thommo, Teale, Stevie Clarke, Brendan Rodgers... all adapted pretty well. Of the names mentioned as being in the frame, they mostly illicit a ‘meh’ from me. Lambert would help sell even more STs and would give us a boost after losing a charismatic manager who turned out to be a good un’.

Aye, I wouldn't be upset if Lambert got the gig. As you say, a high profile name who would certainly generate interest.

16 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Sulking in the scrap heap ever since getting Raith relegated...

No chance of it being him...

3 hours ago, Magic Monkey said:

He could very easily restore his reputation at St Mirren and then be Sunderland's next manager.

Don't suggest that, Dickson can't come to terms with one Saints manager taking the helm at Sunderland. Two in a row will send him over the edge.

2 hours ago, Magic Monkey said:

I think you'd be surprised what a laughing stock he is down here. The day Stoke appointed him, a colleague and I burst out laughing. He looks like a guy whose heart isn't in it any more.

Agreed. I mentioned being linked with him to a couple of lads at work this morning, neither were overly impressed by it (albeit one was a Villa fan who called him a c**t).

16 hours ago, lenziebud said:

Nothing noteworthy ? At Aston Villa, managed a Premiership club in England for 3 seasons with an abysmal American owner in Lerner and you think that's nothing noteworthy ?

He went to Blackburn and stabalised the mess Coyle had left. Asked Venky's for money to mount a push in the Championship the for the following season and left due to the response. They got relegated the next season.

He took over a Wolves team fighting relegation and go them safe that season, getting the team playing to the extent that they beat Liverpool at Anfield. He left as the club ownership changed to a signing process where Jorge Mendes would provide the players. Lambert wanted involvement. So again he left. In highsight with the players they signed probably the wrong move ?

He went to Stoke who were a basket case. Weeded out all the trouble makers, got all the players playing for him and wasn't a million miles away from succeeding. Again premiership club. Ever though why Stoke board appointed the guy. Go and ask Jack Butland and Charlie Adam about Lambert's time at Stoke.

At Wycombe, Colchester and Norwich he was outstanding.

Also played at the highest level and won the Champions League

I didn't think we'd be in the running for Lambert but if we get him he will be a superb appointment.

Utterly amazes me the total junk that's thrown the way of coaches like Billy Davies and Paul Lambert. 

I must admit the idea of Lambert didn't fill me with delight, I met him once many years ago and whilst he came across as a nice guy this was obviously long before he began managing, however after reading the above and thinking about it, it does alter my preconceptions of 'how well or otherwise' he has performed and to be fair it would seem to be; far better than I perceived, although I think that your second last sentence probably summerises our chances