New Manager Latest Odds

11 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Well you weren't in the majority which was my point - a meaningless detour.

The point you were replying to here was that Dumbarton were the best p/t team when Murray was manager. Right enough - a meaningless detour!

12 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

And as I've said if you bother to look at their scores that season against the teams who weren't Hearts, Hibs or Rangers International they lost a surprising amount of games, sometimes handsomely to Alloa and Cowdenbeath. Only Cowdenbeath's 10-0 thumping at the hands of Hearts facilitated them finishing with the worst coal difference in the league. You would have thought someone on the board would have looked at results with a candidate's current club and not giving the job to whoever spoke well at their interview.

We picked up a few thumpings last season yet JR won the MotY award and was considered by a couple of substantially bigger clubs before getting the Sunderland job. By your.

2014/15 was a tougher Championship yet Dumbarton remained the best p/t team in the country so presumably they had a few decent results as well. 

Some statistics are more relevant than others!

Edited by Bud the Baker

9 hours ago, lenziebud said:

I know I worked in Edinburgh too and I know the stick they took from Hearts fans.

United coming down though changed it for him. I think any more defeats at Dumbarton etc would have done for him by October and the Hibs board would have pulled the trigger, so he took the Rotherham job.  I was waiting for him to move at the end of that season. I knew he would. 

Anyway it doesn't matter anymore as he's the man chosen so lets hope he does the job

There is an interview on YouTube covering his whole career it's a good watch. Once officially confirmed  I will put it up on the forum if no one else does. 

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

14 minutes ago, zico said:

The point you were replying to here was that Dumbarton were the best p/t team when Murray was manager. Right enough - a meaningless detour!

Not for Murray - it got him  the Saints job!

And as I said the appointment was well received by the majority of our support.

IIRC Murrays honeymoon with the fans lasted until he signed Alan Gow. :whistle

9 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Not for Murray - it got him  the Saints job!

And as I said the appointment was well received by the majority of our support.

IIRC Murrays honeymoon with the fans lasted until he signed Alan Gow. :whistle

Gow who had already been brought to the club by Teale.

Few things stimulate discussion like the appointment of a new manager. Glass half full and glass half empty posters pile in along with the "I told you" faction with customary abuse thrown at those who "got it wrong now that we know who has been offered the job. 

Last season both the Premiership and Championship were exciting despite each being win by a good margin. The fight for the top 6 then the top 4 in the premiership was great as was the battle at the foot to avoid the relegation places.

Crowds were up, again, two clubs increased their capacity to accommodate more home fans. Now we have Celebrity Managers at Celtic and Rangers and highly experienced and effective managers at Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts. Add in Motherwell who made it to two cup finals and experienced survival artists at St Johnston and Hamilton and money once again being poured into Dundee and this looks like a great time to be joining this group. Hope you have your season ticket. I have mine. I wouldn't want to miss any of this. COYS

Edited by St.Ricky

From what I am reading the positives are a commitment to attacking football and a desire to bring through young players.  (The work with young players was the main reason Tommy Craig got the gig though, but we'll ignore that...)

These values I do consider important to the club, I take more pride in seeing three of our academy players in the Scotland team than I do from finishing a place or two higher up the table.

He has a decent record in the transfer market, lets see what he does.  Possibly some connections still at Celtic to beat Jack Ross and Sunderland to getting Morgan on loan?

1 hour ago, the barrhead teacher said:

How many st mirren managers appointed over the years have been genuinely greeted as the best we could have got? How many have divided opinions deeply? How many have people been wrong about? The proof is in the pudding, let's wait and see and give him our support

Can only echo this post. The decision has been made. It's up to the supporters to give the new manager our whole-hearted backing and I'm sure all true St. Mirren folk will do that, whether the new man was our choice or not.

The heady heights of last season will always be remembered, but it will be a very different season this time round - new manager and roughly half of the team will be new as well. Success must be staying up, with some signs that we can perhaps do better in season 2019-2020.

The amphibian view on this appointment is one of disappointment, which would most likely have always been such after a great success like JR. One thing I always pick up on though is that English people always have an eye on returning home as soon as a decent opening arises ( see Davis signing for Grimsby as a perfect example). He couldn't get out of Hibs quickly enough to the second division down there and made rather a hash of things. I may well be proved wrong but having sang froid  I weigh these things up impassionately.

One thing I do ask of him is, please do not bring in Jules Verne league players, Craig tried it and it doesn't work !

8 hours ago, athens-saint said:

https://youtu.be/bZoFRKxWuLc

Tail end of this is interesting. 

thanks for sharing , worth watching the last few minutes , you can see why the board appointed him , comes across very well , and might be the man to set solid fouyndations for the club, lets hope his contact book has some interesting names in it . Whats Mikel Arteta upto now ( he seems to be linked with a few good jobs )

I’m not sure how I feel about this if it comes off. Has experienced the highs and lows of management in his short period as a boss , hopefully he has learned from the lows and can bounce back with us.
Mind you , I can’t say I was bowled over by any of the other names on the final list either. Regardless of who our manager is , it is imperative that we get behind him and the team from the off . COYS .

31 minutes ago, Froggie said:

The amphibian view on this appointment is one of disappointment, which would most likely have always been such after a great success like JR. One thing I always pick up on though is that English people always have an eye on returning home as soon as a decent opening arises ( see Davis signing for Grimsby as a perfect example). He couldn't get out of Hibs quickly enough to the second division down there and made rather a hash of things. I may well be proved wrong but having sang froid  I weigh these things up impassionately.

One thing I do ask of him is, please do not bring in Jules Verne league players, Craig tried it and it doesn't work !

Bottom line is money talks just like Jack buggered off with a lure of big bucks. Alan was probably offered a much bigger salary and he has a family to support. Any manager would more than likely move for a higher wage.  Rotherham turned out to be the wrong choice much like Lennon going to Bolton. Many clubs down south demand instant success and are riddled with problems. No idea what these were at Rotherham but the past is the past and Alan deserves his chance to lead as onwards. Time will tell whether he is right for us but let’s back him as he’s our manager now.

To be fair, Craig signed one Jules Verne league player and yes, it didn’t work.

However, Leicester City also signed a striker from a Jules Verne league and that certainly did work!

I don’t mind what league we sign players from, as long as they are good!

Bottom line is money talks just like Jack buggered off with a lure of big bucks. Alan was probably offered a much bigger salary and he has a family to support. Any manager would more than likely move for a higher wage.  Rotherham turned out to be the wrong choice much like Lennon going to Bolton. Many clubs down south demand instant success and are riddled with problems. No idea what these were at Rotherham but the past is the past and Alan deserves his chance to lead as onwards. Time will tell whether he is right for us but let’s back him as he’s our manager now.

Can’t believe that Hibs appointed Stubbs in the first place. I mean, it was his first job. He didn’t serve an apprenticeship!

13 minutes ago, nedflanders123 said:

I would have though Alan Stubbs was absolutely minted from his playing days and wouldnt need to chase money ?

Jack Ross is a different story. He didnt make huge money from football and now is his chance to sort himself and family as well as fufil his ambition.

Lennon wasn't getting offered anything, not really sure why tbh  and took a gamble on Bolton which backfired big time

Article from today's Times might go some way to explain a few things being questioned on here IMO, especially his comments about his time at Rotherham and the task he had there:

Stubbs ready to return to dugout after spell at Vardy’s academy

Alan Stubbs has been “back out on the grass” this week for the first time since stepping away from the managerial rat race, patrolling the luxurious confines of Manchester City’s Etihad campus after Pep Guardiola handed over the keys to his kingdom.

He is one of the coaches putting a batch of non-league players through their paces at Jamie Vardy’s V9 Academy with the aim of helping to catapult another raw talent into football’s upper tiers.

Some 42 wannabes have been given the chance to pursue a path into the professional ranks and yet they are no longer the only ones hoping opportunity knocks soon. Stubbs — the last manager to win a trophy in Scotland before Brendan Rodgers’ clean sweep with Celtic — is ready to return to the spotlight himself.

The 46-year-old has been out of work since October 2016 when a spell in the Championship with Rotherham United came to an abrupt end just months after he had left Hibernian having guided the Edinburgh club to their first Scottish Cup in 114 years.

Like many ex-players scorched by the disappointment of the sack, the experience prompted a period of soul searching but Stubbs’ enthusiasm remains undimmed even if he is unapologetic when explaining he will be picky when choosing his next club.

There is strong interest in him from Scottish Premiership new boys St Mirren and a move there is likely to appeal if the final details can be ironed out over the coming days.

“Whenever you have had a difficult experience I think you need a bit of time to reflect and evaluate what went wrong, why it went wrong, look at yourself and you have to be honest,” he said during a break from training this week.

“Sometimes you base a decision on what people say and then you go into a club and it is a completely different picture. You live and learn. I certainly wouldn’t make that mistake again, so I have learnt something from my last job.

“I didn’t do enough digging into everything behind the scenes. I had gone from having a really good structure behind me at Hibs, working with good people, and suddenly went into an environment which was not the same.

“I don’t want to criticise. That ship has sailed. But you go into a very difficult league and you try and build a structure behind the scenes, when you should be concentrating on what is going on the pitch.

“I have had three offers which haven’t been right and that is a result of what happened at Rotherham. You are more diligent in what you are looking for and what you are going into.”

Time out, however, has not been spent idle.

A visit to Tottenham Hotspur to see Mauricio Pochettino’s club up close is pending, but there have also been days at Middlesbrough and Port Vale in order to broaden a knowledge of what is needed to succeed at different levels of football’s pyramid.

And the involvement in the initiative England and Leicester City striker Vardy launched last year has whet Stubbs’ appetite further even if it amounts to just five days with players from the likes of Curzon Ashton, Truro City and Alvechurch FC.

Vardy, fresh from the World Cup warm-up with Costa Rica, will attend tomorrow’s games with The New Saints (TNS) along with a bevy of scouts, the striker’s presence a further reminder dreams can be realised given his own improbable rise from the obscurity of Stocksbridge Park Steels, Halifax Town and Fleetwood Town.

Stubbs, the former Bolton, Celtic and Everton defender, is one of a number of high-profile coaches taking part with Chris Ramsey, Robbie Stockdale and Curtis Fleming also involved. He has found the experience enriching with City’s willingness to provide their facilities adding an extra dimension.

“This is a great opportunity for these boys because they are experiencing Premier League standards,” he said.

“They are at Manchester City’s training ground, eating in same canteen and eating the same type of food as lads who have won the Premier League.

“The concept is really good. As coaches we have to be careful because the players have come from a non-league environment where some might possibly only train two days a week.

“So we have to make sure we are not trying to cram too much in and, before you know it, they have nothing left for the games which are obviously their showcase for the scouts watching them.

“All the players have had a personal profile drawn up from a company called Insight and the coaches have, too.

“When I was a player I had psychologists who come in and spoke, but this is a personal profile you build up yourself by answering certain questions. I am taking away from here a pack all about my own strengths and weaknesses and things that I can improve upon.

“This is probably the first time officially I have been back on the grass since leaving Rotherham.

“Two years have passed since we won the Scottish Cup and I am the last person to win a trophy in Scotland other than Brendan Rodgers because he has just cleaned up everything since he went to Celtic.

“It doesn’t feel that long, but I am ready to go again now. It doesn’t matter where the opportunity is – north of the border, south of the border, abroad – but it does have to be right.”

Good luck to the guy. I read the article a few pages ago someone linked to. The one where the writer analysed his failure at Rotherham, and particularly his lack of interaction with their fans. Even in a critical article though, the writer concluded that Stubbs is at heart a thoroughly decent honest bloke, just not flamboyant like Neil Warnock was, when he was at Rotherham for a bit. The inference was that Rotherham fans were used to managers who were hyper, and Stubbs is just not like that.

The story never scared me about him. If he’s the quieter sort, should fit in here. We aren’t the sort of support who need a jumping jack flash (no reference to our last boss!), a quiet sort who does the business and gets the respect of his players will be just the ticket in Paisley town.

Again, good luck Alan Stubbs and welcome, to the Twenny Twenny Wan.

Edited by pozbaird