Betfred Cup 2018/19

Cornwall_Saint

Here we are, two days to go until the draw where we find out our first four opponents of the season. The seedings have been announced and as are follows:

First Seeds (South)

Hamilton Academical, Kilmarnock, Motherwell, Partick Thistle

Second Seeds (South)

Livingston, Morton, Queen of the South, St Mirren

Unseeded (South)

Albion Rovers, Annan Athletic, Ayr United, Berwick Rangers, Clyde, Dumbarton, Edinburgh City, New Airdrieonians, Queen's Park, Spartans, Stenhousemuir, Stranraer

First Seeds (North)

Dundee, Heart of Midlothian, Ross County, St Johnstone

Second Seeds (North)

Dundee United, Dunfermline Athletic, Falkirk, Inverness Caledonian Thistle

Unseeded (North)

Alloa Athletic, Arbroath, Brechin City, Cove Rangers, Cowdenbeath, East Fife, Elgin City, Forfar Athletic, Montrose, Peterhead, Raith Rovers, Stirling Albion

The draw takes place on Friday 25th May at 6.30pm. It will be shown live on BT Sport 2.

The teams making up the group stage are the 38 SPFL sides who are not in European competition, plus Highland League champions Cove Rangers and Lowland League champions Spartans. The four Scottish sides in Europe, Aberdeen, Celtic, Hibernian and Sevco will join at the Round of 16.

There will be 8 groups consisting of 5 teams. As you can see there's the North/South divide. The group will contain one First Seed, one Second seed and three Unseeded sides. All group winners progress to the Round of 16, as will the four best runners-up sides.

As before, there are 3 points available per match. 3 points for a 90 minute win, 0 points for a 90 minute loss. A draw after 90 minutes results in a penalty shootout, the winning side picking up 2 points and the losing side picking up 1 point.

Last 5 Finals:

2017/18 - Celtic 2-0 Motherwell

2016/17 - Celtic 3-0 Aberdeen

2015/16 - Ross County 2-1 Hibernian

2014/15 - Celtic 2-0 Dundee United

2013/14 - Aberdeen 0-0 Inverness Caledonian Thistle

Aberdeen win 4-2 on penalties.

Most Succesful Sides

Rangers (OldCo) 27 Titles (7 Runners-Up)

Celtic 17 Titles (15 Runners-Up)

Aberdeen 6 Titles (8 Runners-Up)

Heart of Midlothian 4 Titles (3 Runners-Up)

Hibernian 3 Titles (3 Runners-Up)

Dundee and East Fife have also won the League Cup on 3 occasions.

Bring on the new season!

I would like Edinburgh City, Berwick since it is a ground I have never been in and Ayr for a easy trip. As for the seeded team, anybody apart from Hamilton. Hopefully the Berwick and Ayr games are on Saturdays :guinness

1 hour ago, renfrew said:

I would like Edinburgh City, Berwick since it is a ground I have never been in and Ayr for a easy trip. As for the seeded team, anybody apart from Hamilton. Hopefully the Berwick and Ayr games are on Saturdays :guinness

Happy with Berwick and Ayr plus Edinburgh City but would like Thistle as we won't meet them in the league this season.  Never been to Edinburgh City's ground. 

I'd go with:

Motherwell - Gives us a chance to see what we are up against for the season ahead and where we need to improve. After an excellent season in both cups where it took the Green Bigots to defeat them, surely 'Well are due a defeat off someone else.

Ayr United - I am unlikely to be in attendance due to my location, but I always enjoyed an away day to Ayr. Potential banana skin though as Killie found out last season.

Spartans - Lowest ranked team.

Queen's Park - Would give us a decent chance of progress compared to say, being drawn against any of Dumbarton, Raith, Alloa and Ayr. And there's something amusing about a 50K seater stadium being used for usually tiny attendances. At least we shouldn't hve a problem running out of seats in the off chance Ricky manages to add 20K to our support.

Hopefully the Berwick and Ayr games are on Saturdays :guinness

The schedule for the previous 2 seasons as been pretty rigid. The 2nd seed (us) will be away on the first Saturday to an unseeded team, home midweek to another non-seed, away the second Saturday to the seeded team, off the following midweek and home to the remaining non-seed on the final Saturday.

30 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

The schedule for the previous 2 seasons as been pretty rigid. The 2nd seed (us) will be away on the first Saturday to an unseeded team, home midweek to another non-seed, away the second Saturday to the seeded team, off the following midweek and home to the remaining non-seed on the final Saturday.

So with only 1 away game against a non-seeded team, I hope it will be Berwick then so I can do my 1st visit to their ground  :D

13 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

I'd go with:

Motherwell - Gives us a chance to see what we are up against for the season ahead and where we need to improve. After an excellent season in both cups where it took the Green Bigots to defeat them, surely 'Well are due a defeat off someone else.

Ayr United - I am unlikely to be in attendance due to my location, but I always enjoyed an away day to Ayr. Potential banana skin though as Killie found out last season.

Spartans - Lowest ranked team.

Queen's Park - Would give us a decent chance of progress compared to say, being drawn against any of Dumbarton, Raith, Alloa and Ayr. And there's something amusing about a 50K seater stadium being used for usually tiny attendances. At least we shouldn't hve a problem running out of seats in the off chance Ricky manages to add 20K to our support.

Which the current amazingly high levels of press and media coverage might do.  Not Motherwell or Killie or Hamilton for me... One of these will be our derby game. 

Would also be happy with the others though. 

1 minute ago, Balbeg Buddie said:

Why is it there ?

Cornwall Saint started a perfectly good Thread here.

Is there no moderation on this Forum ?

Balbeg. Good question. It's not to do with moderation or the lack of it as such. There seem to be a school of thought that threads with new/specific titles are not to be encouraged. I'm with you on this..a perfectly good thread. 

South Section Draw

Group E - Partick Thistle, Morton, Albion Rovers,  Ayr United, Stenhousemuir

Group F - Hamilton Academical, Livingston, Annan Athletic, Berwick Rangers, New Airdrieonians

Group G - Motherwell, Queen of the South, Clyde, Edinburgh City, Stranraer

Group H - Kilmarnock, ST MIRREN, Dumbarton, Queen's Park, Spartans

North Section Draw

Group A - Ross County, Dundee United, Alloa Athletic, Arbroath, Elgin City

Group B - St Johnstone, Falkirk, East Fife, Forfar Athletic, Montrose

Group C - Heart of Midlothian, Inverness Caledonian Thistle, Cove Rangers, Cowdenbeath, Raith Rovers

Group D - Dundee, Dunfermline Athletic, Brechin City, Peterhead, Stirling Albion

Not sure about anyone else but I'm really looking forward to Cowdenbeath and Cove Rangers meeting after that less than friendly second leg in the playoffs :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Fixtures on opening weekend (All games Saturday 3pm unless stated otherwise)

Group A

Dundee United v Arbroath

Ross County v Elgin City

Alloa Athletic OFF

Group B

Falkirk v Montrose

St Johnstone v East Fife 

Forfar Athletic OFF

Group C

Inverness CT v Cove Rangers

Raith Rovers v Cowdenbeath

Heart of Midlothian OFF

Group D

Brechin City v Peterhead

Stirling Albion v Dundee

Dunfermline Athletic OFF

Group E

Ayr United v Morton

Stenhousemuir v Partick Thistle

Albion Rovers OFF

Group F

New Airdrieonians v Livingston

Annan Athletic v Hamilton Academical 

Berwick Rangers OFF

Group G

Clyde v Edinburgh City

Queen of the South v Stranraer 

Motherwell OFF

Group H

Kilmarnock v St Mirren (Fri, 7.45pm)

Spartans v Dumbarton

Queen's Park OFF

Results (Match 1)

Group A

Dundee United 1-1 Arbroath

Arbroath win 5-3 on penalties

Ross County 2-0 Elgin City

Alloa Athletic OFF

Group B

Falkirk 0-1 Montrose

St Johnstone 0-0 East Fife

St Johnstone win 5-4 on penalties

Forfar Athletic OFF

Group C

Inverness CT 2-0 Cove Rangers

Raith Rovers 0-2 Cowdenbeath 

Heart of Midlothian OFF

Group D

Brechin City 0-0 Peterhead

Peterhead win 5-4 on penalties

Stirling Albion 0-4 Dundee

Dunfermline Athletic OFF

Group E

Ayr United 3-1 Morton

Stenhousemuir 0-2 Partick Thistle

Albion Rovers OFF

Group F

Annan Athletic 1-0 Hamilton Academical

New Airdrieonians 1-2 Livingston

Berwick Rangers OFF

Group G

Clyde 1-1 Edinburgh City

Edinburgh win 4-1 on penalties

Queen of the South 5-3 Stranraer

Motherwell OFF

Group H

Kilmarnock 0-0 St Mirren

St Mirren win 3-2 on penalties

Spartans 0-0 Dumbarton

Dumbarton win 4-3 on penalties

Queen's Park OFF

Great start the the League Cup, some excellent shocks going around. Group A seeing Dundee United beaten by Arbroath on pens. Group B is wide open, Falkirk beaten by Montrose, St Johnstone taking 2pts instead of the expected 3. Group C seeing Raith beaten by Fife area rivals and League 2 bottom side two years running Cowdenbeath. Group F with that fantastic win for Annan over Accies.  Clyde lost on pens but gained a point with a last minute equaliser, potentially affecting both their and Edin City's chances with Edin getting 2 instead of 3pts. As for Saints, us and Dumbarton lead the way. Only Queen's Park can gain maximum points now.

Fixtures (Tue 7.45pm unless stated)

Group A

Alloa Athletic v Arbroath

Ross County v Dundee United

Elgin City OFF

Group B

Falkirk v Forfar Athletic

Montrose v East Fife

St Johnstone OFF

Group C

Cowdenbeath v Inverness CT

Cove Rangers v Heart of Midlothian (Wed 8pm)

Raith Rovers OFF

Group D

Dunfermline Athletic v Peterhead

Stirling Albion v Brechin City

Dundee OFF

Group E

Stenhousemuir v Albion Rovers (7.30pm)

Partick Thistle v Morton

Ayr United OFF

Group F

Annan Athletic v Berwick Rangers

Hamilton Academical v Livingston